PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next The Hungering Sphere (Warlock Patron)

werescythe
2020-06-14, 02:47 PM
This is sort of an idea that gradually evolved an changed over time. Originally I had wanted to create a Hexblade equivalent for Pact of the Chain, then it evolved into some weird carnivarous pinball thing. Even though I doesn't execute the original concept, I feel like this could still be an interesting patron concept and so here it is.

The Hungering Sphere (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wJpvESvaz8H2U8AtSsJtPpBV1JfrGy_dM2Ij9oFxCmM/edit?usp=sharing)

It might be a little grim/dark in some of it's descriptions.

Feel free to look at it and give me some constructive feedback.

BerzerkerUnit
2020-06-14, 08:27 PM
This is sort of an idea that gradually evolved an changed over time. Originally I had wanted to create a Hexblade equivalent for Pact of the Chain, then it evolved into some weird carnivarous pinball thing. Even though I doesn't execute the original concept, I feel like this could still be an interesting patron concept and so here it is.

The Hungering Sphere (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wJpvESvaz8H2U8AtSsJtPpBV1JfrGy_dM2Ij9oFxCmM/edit?usp=sharing)

It might be a little grim/dark in some of it's descriptions.

Feel free to look at it and give me some constructive feedback.

Sorry for the tangent above, just very inspired by what you had down and wanted to get the whole thing down before I forgot.

Adding a sack of 30 hp to the field at level 1 is big. Probably too big. The limits to healing it are okay, but it looks like Mending brings it to full. I might look at the Battlesmith Artificer and how mending heals their Steel Defender.

The Catapult spell is fun but I'm not sure if this is supposed to be your primary method of moving the sphere around. Maybe I overlooked it, but did it have a speed on its own?

I had a sorcerer origin based on the Sphere of Annihilation, I'll post a link and you can mine it for ideas if you like. If you really like it you can buy it on DMs Guild.

Free (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Q78-1HrkrUzTgNWxjUXICptysuedokAT/view?usp=sharing)

Paid (https://www.dmsguild.com/product/237881/Sorcerous-Origin-Voidtouched?term=voidtouched+)

werescythe
2020-06-15, 09:04 PM
Adding a sack of 30 hp to the field at level 1 is big. Probably too big. The limits to healing it are okay, but it looks like Mending brings it to full. I might look at the Battlesmith Artificer and how mending heals their Steel Defender.

The Catapult spell is fun but I'm not sure if this is supposed to be your primary method of moving the sphere around. Maybe I overlooked it, but did it have a speed on its own?

Yeah, the Sphere has a movement speed of 30ft (just so it can keep up with most players), though I do wonder if perhaps it would be more fitting to reduce to 25 or 20ft as it's default movement speed.

I think I might have been referencing the Animate Object stats for the objects for the Sphere's health, but yeah I will probably decrease the Sphere's HP.

BerzerkerUnit
2020-06-15, 09:51 PM
Yeah, the Sphere has a movement speed of 30ft (just so it can keep up with most players), though I do wonder if perhaps it would be more fitting to reduce to 25 or 20ft as it's default movement speed.

I think I might have been referencing the Animate Object stats for the objects for the Sphere's health, but yeah I will probably decrease the Sphere's HP.

Sphere Con Mod+ your Proficiency mod+ 5x your level in this class seems to be more the standard these days.

So at level 1 you're looking at... 10?

DracoDei
2020-06-15, 09:58 PM
I know this is supposed to be all horrifying in both direct and existential ways, but I still find myself wondering if someone shouldn't create an alternate version of this based around Bowser's chain-chomp weapon* from Super Mario RPG, and/or one of the rabbit bosses of Super Mario Odyssey.
*Or all of them if there was more than one. Can't remember.

Garfunion
2020-06-16, 04:26 AM
This archetype seem overly complicated.

Hungering Sphere
As an action you conjure 5-foot-diameter hungering sphere that appears in an unoccupied space of your choice within 60ft. Any creature that ends its turn within 5 feet of the sphere must make a Dexterity saving throw. The creature takes 2d6 force damage on a failed save.
The sphere’s damage increases by 1d6 when you reach 5th level (3d6), 11th level (4d6), and 17th level (5d6).

As a bonus action, you can move the sphere up to 30 feet. If you ram the sphere into a creature, that creature must make the saving throw against the sphere’s damage, and the sphere stops moving this turn.
When you move the sphere, you can direct it over barriers up to 5 feet tall and jump it across pits up to 10 feet wide.

The sphere remains in existence for one minute or until you dismiss it with an action. You may conjure your sphere twice per short/long rest.

I modeled the sphere off of the flaming sphere spell.

werescythe
2020-06-16, 08:40 PM
This archetype seem overly complicated.

Hungering Sphere
As an action you conjure 5-foot-diameter hungering sphere that appears in an unoccupied space of your choice within 60ft. Any creature that ends its turn within 5 feet of the sphere must make a Dexterity saving throw. The creature takes 2d6 force damage on a failed save.
The sphere’s damage increases by 1d6 when you reach 5th level (3d6), 11th level (4d6), and 17th level (5d6).

As a bonus action, you can move the sphere up to 30 feet. If you ram the sphere into a creature, that creature must make the saving throw against the sphere’s damage, and the sphere stops moving this turn.
When you move the sphere, you can direct it over barriers up to 5 feet tall and jump it across pits up to 10 feet wide.

The sphere remains in existence for one minute or until you dismiss it with an action. You may conjure your sphere twice per short/long rest.

I modeled the sphere off of the flaming sphere spell.

The thing is I want the Sphere to be ever present, like a testament to the player's alliance/curse.

werescythe
2020-06-16, 09:28 PM
Sphere Con Mod+ your Proficiency mod+ 5x your level in this class seems to be more the standard these days.

So at level 1 you're looking at... 10?

10... seems reasonable.

I am considering potentially changing up the 10th level ability to something where when the warlock uses Magical Propulsion that the Sphere gains a speed increase (maybe 1D4 x 5ft) and if the warlock is within 5ft of the Sphere when they use this ability that they can "ride" the sphere.

BerzerkerUnit
2020-06-16, 11:23 PM
10... seems reasonable.

I am considering potentially changing up the 10th level ability to something where when the warlock uses Magical Propulsion that the Sphere gains a speed increase (maybe 1D4 x 5ft) and if the warlock is within 5ft of the Sphere when they use this ability that they can "ride" the sphere.

I like the idea of sitting in the sphere's mouth. Also, I think a 6th level ability or Invocation that lets it work like a bag of holding wouldn't be bad at all.

Throne of Teeth
Beginning at 10th level your hungering sphere swells in size and strength. Your Sphere gains the Powerful Build trait and you can now ride in your sphere's mouth, gaps in its teeth allowing your legs to dangle freely and its tongues providing a soft cushion, this uses the normal rules for acting while mounted.

DracoDei
2020-06-16, 11:29 PM
I like the idea of sitting in the sphere's mouth. Also, I think a 6th level ability or Invocation that lets it work like a bag of holding wouldn't be bad at all.

Throne of Teeth
Beginning at 10th level your hungering sphere swells in size and strength. Your Sphere gains the Powerful Build trait and you can now ride in your sphere's mouth, gaps in its teeth allowing your legs to dangle freely and its tongues providing a soft cushion, this uses the normal rules for acting while mounted.

That seems at odds with the role play suggestion that the mouth (or at least the throat) is terrifying to the warlock.

BerzerkerUnit
2020-06-17, 07:58 AM
That seems at odds with the role play suggestion that the mouth (or at least the throat) is terrifying to the warlock.

There's a quirk that the warlock likes to sleep with their head in it... and the notion that the warlock has to place that level of trust in the sphere to enjoy persistent flight seems fine to me.

Garfunion
2020-06-17, 06:17 PM
I had a sorcerer origin based on the Sphere of Annihilation, I'll post a link and you can mine it for ideas if you like. If you really like it you can buy it on DMs Guild.

Free (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Q78-1HrkrUzTgNWxjUXICptysuedokAT/view?usp=sharing)

Paid (https://www.dmsguild.com/product/237881/Sorcerous-Origin-Voidtouched?term=voidtouched+)

This concept is intriguing me and I might actually create a new thread with my own version.

werescythe
2020-06-18, 07:32 PM
I know this is supposed to be all horrifying in both direct and existential ways, but I still find myself wondering if someone shouldn't create an alternate version of this based around Bowser's chain-chomp weapon* from Super Mario RPG, and/or one of the rabbit bosses of Super Mario Odyssey.
*Or all of them if there was more than one. Can't remember.

I was actually inspired by the Dung Beetle Knight from Kingdom Death: Monsters, though I can definitely see the connection to a chain chomp. lol. :smallbiggrin:

werescythe
2020-06-18, 07:33 PM

Maybe... though a bag of devouring might be more fitting. :smalltongue:

werescythe
2020-06-18, 08:31 PM
I am also tempted to swap out either Absorb Elements or Grease on the expanded spell list for Goodberry. What do you all think? :smalleek:

BerzerkerUnit
2020-06-18, 09:06 PM
I am also tempted to swap out either Absorb Elements or Grease on the expanded spell list for Goodberry. What do you all think? :smalleek:

Absorb elements is very in theme as an "eats everything" spell. Grease less so.

Krowmeat
2020-06-18, 10:37 PM
I was actually inspired by the Dung Beetle Knight from Kingdom Death: Monsters, though I can definitely see the connection to a chain chomp. lol. :smallbiggrin:

I'm surprised nobody's made a reference to the 1980 pop cultural icon Pac Man yet. He doesn't have like horrifying spiny teeth, of course, but still. Floating circle that eats stuff. Resemblance is uncanny.

werescythe
2020-06-18, 10:41 PM
I'm surprised nobody's made a reference to the 1980 pop cultural icon Pac Man yet. He doesn't have like horrifying spiny teeth, of course, but still. Floating circle that eats stuff. Resemblance is uncanny.

But this Sphere doesn't float, it rolls. :smallconfused:

Magicspook
2020-06-29, 12:45 PM
I really like this homebrew. But I cannot stop thinking about Fizzgig from The Dark Crystal when I read this..

BerzerkerUnit
2020-06-29, 05:14 PM
Or a Critter/Crite/Crite Ball.

BerzerkerUnit
2020-06-29, 05:15 PM
Absorb elements is very in theme as an "eats everything" spell. Grease less so.

Unless the Grease is Butter...