PDA

View Full Version : Ridiculous or unique magic item suggestions

moonfly7
2020-06-14, 08:50 PM
Looking for some fun, unique, and hilarious magic item ideas for my game. Think you can help?

Yakmala
2020-06-14, 09:41 PM
Ring of Attunement: Grants the wearer one additional attunement slot (requires attunement)

LordCdrMilitant
2020-06-14, 10:17 PM
I have used in my games, from the Mostly Useless Magic Items thread (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?399328-List-of-Mostly-Useless-Magic-Items) here on GITP:
the Brick of Throwing ["this brick, made for building, may be thrown"]
the Orb of Slope Detection ["this round steel ball, when places on a smooth surface, will roll in the direction of greatest incline downwards"]
the Cloak of Oblivious Invisibility ["you are invisible to people who aren't looking towards you"]
the Wand of Pointing ["this wand makes a little red dot on whatever surface it's pointed at, for entertaining cats"]

I have also used, inspired by Munchkin:
the Swiss Army Poleaxe. It can deal bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing damage with a pointy tip, a blunt side, and an axeblade.

I have also used, of my own initiative:
The 15/20/25 foot pole. Even longer, for longer-ranged trapfinding! Almost as good as a barbarian!
The Fine Afternoon Hat of Attention Grabbing. This completely ridiculous looking and very large and colorful hat causes people who can see it to take notice of you, if they can see it.
The Glasses of Nonvisibility. These black glasses are completely opaque, and you have the blinded condition while wearing them.

most of these are magic items in name only, and derive no functionality from being magic except confusing players for a laugh or serving as set dressing in a magic item shop which invariably end up being more desirable to the party than the real products. I think I've actually deployed a lot more useless items that this, but I think these were the most memorable.

yellowrocket
2020-06-14, 10:17 PM
https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?589778-100-Silly-Scrolls&highlight=Silly+scrolls

That was a great thread. Can't remember if we actually got to 100 before it closed. But its full of unique items your players will never see anywhere else.

xanxosttheslaad
2020-06-15, 07:14 AM
Here’s a list of loot ideas I made (and partially stole, for some, but that’s the magic of the internet) for my homebrew setting (sorry if a lot are abbreviated or confusing, they each fit on one line in my doc and I didn’t want to break the pattern):
Ilmatari Magic Waffle Irons- magical Maul, +1d6 fire damage, can make waffles
Ilmatari Syrup- 1 vial, eaten on a waffle, is one day’s rations, and restores 2d4+2 hp
Croaking Frog- A user who speaks bullywug can message others up to a mile away.
Domine’s Brooch- advantage on persuasion 1/day
Spinning Needle- points toward Meteor
Portable Bubble- Necklace, can breath underwater when worn
Fire Circle Stones- 20 lbs of rocks, when arranged in a circle, cast create bonfire, DC 13
Bad Soap- Never consumed, covers anything it is rubbed against in putrid filth and muck
Tornado in a Jar- casts Dust Devil in the space it’s in when opened, total 10 rounds
Soft Pillow- regain all lost hit die on a long rest i/o half
Ocarina of Loudness- action, deafened 100 ft, origin inscrutable w/o magic
Mercurial Dropper- casts Tenser’s Floating Disk, following dropper. 7 drops
Immovable Glove- command word toggle, up to 500 lbs capacity or DC 20 STR
Mirror of Truesight- see through illusions and invisibility in the mirror
Bear of Protection- Teddy Bear, turns into Brown Bear when command word (1 use)
Prehensile Whip- action, grab/restrain up to 10 ft that it can wrap around, DC 14
Assassin’s Dart- magic weapon, picture target, goes around cover (1 use)
Magic Missile Rod- 1 magic missile dart as a cantrip (1d4+1)
Ring of Petrification- petrifies wearer
Bee Gourd- cork, 1 pint of honey/minute, broken (5 hp 15 AC) yields swarm of bees
Merciful Warhammer- +1, only deals nonlethal damage
Conducting Rod- metal pike, Absorb Elements for lightning damage at will
Paired Compasses- each points to the other
Candle of Darkness- 1 hour, magical darkness & dim light 5 ft
Mr. Fixit- 1 ft tall monodrone, can cast mending, dies if attacked and reforms next day
Death Coin- former phylactery, appears to be powerful necromancy magic, blocks others
Sticky Boots- spider climb, yellow glue trail, must move constantly or restrained, DC 20
Empty Bottle- is empty, anything inserted disappears
Bone Box- music box, action maintain, DC 16, or Irresistible Dance skeletons within 10 ft
Wind Wagon- 100 lb, 1000 lb total capacity, hovers 3 ft, 30 ft speed (40 east, 20 west)
Broken Arcane Motor- 20 lb, cast gust with two hands
Arcane Motor- 20 lb, cast gust of wind at will, two hands
Ring of Feather Fall- 1/day
Cat Ring- resistance to fall damage, always land upright, +1 to DEX score (max 20)
Pen of Transcribing- document (up to 10 pages) blank w/touch, transcribes to blanks
Tortle Shell- +2 AC, 400 lbs, total cover prone, adv on swim, 17 AC 20 hp, mend +5 hp
Bottomless Inkwell- infinite ink, ink cloud underwater, 5 ft radius, heavy obscure 1 min
Orb of Light Absorption- when uncovered, all light sources within 120 ft dimmed by ½
Truth Coin- 1/day, flip result reveals if a person is lying.
Book of Tongues- place harvested tongues in book, speak language when open to page
Flask of Boiling- boils liquid after 1 minute, deals 1d6 fire when poured
Friendship Bracelets- tightens when other takes damage
Leech Dust- removes injury poisons and diseases with 1 minute application (3 uses)
Springy Shortbow- has longbow range and damage (1d8)
Memory Arrow- two extra die damage to creature of race it has hit before, can’t break
Seeds of Evil- planted over buried undead, rise in one day as zombie (7 uses)
Cloning Plant- water with blood to cast Clone, ready in 120 days
Propellor Hat- cast Warding Wind, each use has a 5% cumulative chance of tearing
Death Ward- pendant, auto succeed on death save before roll (1 use)
Exploding Pineapple- cut crown, 15 ft cone, DC 14 DEX vs 3d6 acid or half (1 use)
Hat of Disguise
Ventriloquist’s Blowgun- project voice up to 60 ft away
Satyr’s Pan Flute- advantage on spell saves and can cast druidcraft while playing
Token of Lightness- place on object, decrease weight by ½ (1 use)
Elemental Lyre- can cast gust, shape water, mold earth, and control flames 3/day
Oblivious Wand- 3/day, holder is invisible to one target
Pacifying Spores- vial, 5 ft radius cloud, 11 DC CON vs stun 1 min, repeat save turn end
Sacrificial Dagger- autocrit against prone, victims can’t be brought back
Candy Frog- once eaten, only speak in Bullywug for 1 day (can’t understand) (1 use)
Misch Bearing- pair, each rolls towards the other
Mint Candy- cast dragon’s breath (cold), DC 14, on eater (also all alternate candies)
Crier’s Horn- triples voice volume
Hat of Holding
Knife Ring- turns into dagger when twisted (1 use)
Fletcher’s Mitt- ranged missile attacks that miss wearer can be caught
Brawler’s Drink- flask, makes unarmed strikes +2 magic weapons when chugged (1 use)
Breathing Scarf- neutralizes any inhaled effects (cannot breath underwater)
Giant Fire Beetle- dormant, acts as familiar for whoever wakes it
Speaking Tie- clip-on bowtie, cannot be silenced
Frost Walker Boots- ignore difficult terrain from ice, walk on water like Elsa
Mimic Sword- longsword, turns into mimic on Nat 1
Faerie Arrow- advantage on attacks against someone struck by this arrow, can’t break
Bendy Rapier- crit, target is restrained, DC 14, can’t attack until escape or release
Pole- 10 ft, can’t be broken
Amputee’s Tourniquet- illusion limb to be amputated, is invisible. DC 18 investigation
Barrel Cactus- barrel, has juice, ale, basic poison, acid, sovereign glue, or alchemist’s fire
Silk Cactus- generates 5d6 silks each week
Wand of Switcheroo- 3 charges
Mithral Net- AC 22, DC 16, 10 lbs, 14 STR to use by hand
Oversized Net- up to huge target, 20 lbs, 16 STR to use by hand
Net Thrower- +2, range 30/120 (ammunition)
Magic Detector- Detect Magic 3/day, color changing crystal with wire wrapping
Ring of Contraception- adv on CON saves against disease, infertile when worn properly
Shell Powder- adv on spell saves for 1 min when snorted, or color spray (10d10)
Warm Socks- resistance to cold and withstand extreme cold environments
Extra Organ- bean, swallowed, grows into organ, adv on poison saves
Spiked Top- throw 30 ft, DC 16 DEX vs 1 piercing and -10 ft speed when move in/out
Spring Stilts- 1 min don, double jump, +5 speed, +2 ft height
Shield Ring- turns into shield when twisted
Reaper’s Sickle- +1, extra 2d4 necrotic against older target
Jar of Time- when closed, time freezes inside
Quickdraw- Hand Crossbow stored in gauntlet, can also conceal 3 bolts (bonus action)
Oiled Leather- 13+DEX, adv to escape grapples
Elven Chain- 14+DEX (max 2), no proficiency
Vengeful Armor- smoking black studded leather, cast Hellish Rebuke 2/day
Werehide- resistance to physical until start of next turn on kill, vulnerable to silvered
Cushy Gambeson- crits become normal hits, no disadv on stealth, resistance to bludg
Mage Glove- cast Mage Hand, invisible
Zerth Blade- Sun Blade, deals force damage
Boots of Elvenkind- adv on move silently stealth
Monkey Paw Pendant- adv on pickpocket, nat 1 on one, stuck in pocket unless let go
Soul Stone- death while wearing, next wearer is possessed DC 14 WIS
Bottled Chwinga- is a Chwinga in a bottle
Baby Geonid- head-sized rock, moves around when no one’s looking
Elephantine Portable Ram- +5 to STR to break doors, cast Knock 1/day, 40 lbs
Rot Grub- 1, in a glass vial, dormant until uncorked
Helm of Rage- deal double damage to objects and buildings (bared teeth on visor)
Enchanted Gythka- 1d8 slashing, bonus action attack
Returning Chatkcha- 1d6 slashing, thrown 30/120, return to sender on miss
Spyglass
Captain’s Logbook- write contracts with a Merrenoloth (10 bar worth per person)
Storybook- cast Sleep (free) by reading, additional 1d8 every minute of reading
Book of Lore- Legend Lore w/bookmark (delay), wash with Styx water to refresh
Book of Burning- Control Flames, 34 pages, pyrotechnics w/ cover or 10 pages
Sending Stone- cast Sending by crushing in hand and blowing to the wind
Styx Water- lose short term memories (that day) when drink or splash, bathe feeblemind
Wood Woad Guide- instructions for ritual, bark cover contains magic seed
Tome of Secrets- touch creature at 0, kill, story inside (no), squeeze out for +1 max hp
Historian’s Quill- use to kill 0 hp creature, their blood can write their life story
Fronque’s Anatomy- +1 to Medicine for 60 days after reading
Moril’s Guide to Conversing- gives a handful of phrases in all languages
The Friendly Quill- small diary, is bonded with another diary Tom Riddle style
Skeleton Key
Paper Animals- book, 20 pages, write name of tiny beast to fold up paper version
Wizard’s Weed- adv on Int checks for 10 min, Wis by -1 for 10 days, cumulative
Flint- light black stone 1 sided longsword, +2
Steel- light steel 1 sided longsword, 1d6 lightning
Flint & Steel- greatsword, extra 2d6 fire, start fires (or dual wield as is)
Amber Memories- stored memories of an elven wizard and his family
Behir Blade- shortsword, d6 lightning, sparks when a dragon is near
Forkroot- ingested poison, DC 15 Con save vs no magic for 1 hour
Rust Dust- -1 to metal object AC / weapon bonus, -5 destroy, 10 uses
Resonant Blade- nat 7 on attack, target to border ethereal until begin wielder’s next turn
Alternate Resonant Blade- shadowfell, deep ethereal, feywild, astral, etc
Flammable Chalk- different colors, lines are used to light things from a distance
Phase Silk- fabric or rope, goes to Border Ethereal when under excessive stress
Gooey Egg- apply or ingest, 2d8+2 hp, cure poisoned condition & disease
Sealing Wax- something enveloped in this wax ages much more quickly
Book of Faces- cast disguise self while holding book with face of person
Blade of Parrying- arandur shortsword, reaction resistance thunder/force till start turn
Bit of Undying- placed in mouth, no death as long as owner is alive, smell dead
Book of Minor Awakening- Tiny Servant (toy) as a ritual on a full moon, 5% evil product
Singing Blade- finesse longsword, Fey Ancestry, acrobatics proficiency, lion, +2 if elf
Book of Song- full of music staffs, music written within is broadcast 10 miles when burnt
Slaad Egg- 1, vial
Chaos Phage- 1 Dose, vial
Enchanted Moonstones- crush and cast Moonbeam DC 16
Redhaft- Misch/coral bladed halberd, +10 ft swim, +1, +2 & sense evil swimming entities
Starmaps- book with various constellations, orient & estimate distances, +1 to navigate
Porthole Shield- portal to unpopulated region of Water on front, can enter
Spellbook- various spells for (the wizard)
Ritual Book- book of rituals

For context, in my setting, waffles with red syrup is like communion wafers for the church of Ilmater, and represents a bloody torture rack, there is a metallic meteor in the jungle composed of a mixture of adamant, mithral, and other precious metals called Misch, which is mined by dwarves, cast into bars, and used as currency (each worth 1 pp), silks are balls of silk used as currency by elves (1 cp). Feel free to ask about any of these, and steal as many as strike your fancy

nickl_2000
2020-06-15, 07:29 AM
Ring of Attunement: Grants the wearer one additional attunement slot (requires attunement)

It's silly until an artificer gets to level 20 and gets 10 of these rings!

DevilMcam
2020-06-15, 08:10 AM
I gave the following items to Players once.

Blade-in-a-Bottle : when you open this vial containing a deepblue liquid, the liquid jump forth out of the bottle forming a shortword (use the exact same rules as drawing a weapon, may or may not be considered a magical weapon)

Screaming Sword : This broken blade has the hilt wrapped in chains attaching it to it's scabard. as an action you can undo the chains and draw the blade that start screaming in a way that is painfull to hear. Any creature within 30ft that can hear it must succeed a DC13 CHA save or be afected by the bane spell.
(my wording is terrible but it's a wand of bane that doesn't looks like so)

Tome of the cat : this book is filled with runes and word that are not to be understood by mortal mind. If you studies the book for 9 minutes or turn 9 page of it, a random cat emerges from somewhere your eyes can't see and come to sit/sleep on the tome preventing any further reading. Any attemps at removing the cat scare him away, darting back to somewere you can't see, and closing the book (breaking any restrains if needed) in the process.

Gnomish repeater : this strange looking hand crossbow (not magical, just high engineering) has a very high recoil, making it a two handed weapon. Strange mechanisme howerver allows it to ignore the loading property, and function at an altered range. To use this weapon with proficiency you need to be proficient with the shortbow.

I may have borrowed them from some online source I don't remember, so credits to you if you are the original creator of these.

da newt
2020-06-15, 08:49 AM
This is fun.

Boots of "the floor is lava" - grants wearer spider climb, but every 5' movement on the ground/floor while wearing causes 1 hp damage.

Ring of "I'm rubber - you're glue" - 1/day turns spell aimed at wearer back upon the caster if wearer makes saving throw against spell's effect. In order to activate, wearer must proclaim loudly "I'm Rubber - You're Glue!"

+1 Merrow's Harpoon (use stats from Merrow's weapon adjust for PC's size/ST)

Necklace of Random Disguise - 3/day Disguise Self, but DM determines outcome appearance.

Prehensile Tail - +1 Dex, can hold an item, grants BA attack w/ simple one handed melee weapon, ADV to climb ability checks and +10' climb speed, looks like 5' long pink rat's tail, requires attunement.

Acme Anvil - 3" anvil figurine w/ 'ACME' clearly printed on side, 25' thrown range, turns into 100 lb anvil when thrown, 2d10 bludgeoning dam (+ 1d10 @ lvl 5, 10, 15, 20), turns back into 3" figurine at end of turn.

nickl_2000
2020-06-15, 08:56 AM
This is fun.

Boots of "the floor is lava" - grants wearer spider climb, but every 5' movement on the ground/floor while wearing causes 1 hp damage.

Ring of "I'm rubber - you're glue" - 1/day turns spell aimed at wearer back upon the caster if wearer makes saving throw against spell's effect. In order to activate, wearer must proclaim loudly "I'm Rubber - You're Glue!"

Necklace of Random Disguise - 3/day Disguise Self, but DM determines outcome appearance.

Prehensile Tail - +1 Dex, can hold an item, grants BA attack w/ simple one handed melee weapon, ADV to climb ability checks and +10' climb speed, looks like 5' long pink rat's tail, requires attunement.

Acme Anvil - 3" anvil figurine w/ 'ACME' clearly printed on side, 25' thrown range, turns into 100 lb anvil when thrown, 2d10 bludgeoning dam (+ 1d10 @ lvl 5, 10, 15, 20), turns back into 3" figurine at end of turn.

My Blacksmith Paladin Oath of Heroism (probably will be Oath of Glory) would absolutely adore and rock this item.

moonfly7
2020-06-15, 09:17 AM

I have used in my games, from the Mostly Useless Magic Items thread (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?399328-List-of-Mostly-Useless-Magic-Items) here on GITP:
the Brick of Throwing ["this brick, made for building, may be thrown"]
the Orb of Slope Detection ["this round steel ball, when places on a smooth surface, will roll in the direction of greatest incline downwards"]
the Cloak of Oblivious Invisibility ["you are invisible to people who aren't looking towards you"]
the Wand of Pointing ["this wand makes a little red dot on whatever surface it's pointed at, for entertaining cats"]

I have also used, inspired by Munchkin:
the Swiss Army Poleaxe. It can deal bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing damage with a pointy tip, a blunt side, and an axeblade.

I have also used, of my own initiative:
The 15/20/25 foot pole. Even longer, for longer-ranged trapfinding! Almost as good as a barbarian!
The Fine Afternoon Hat of Attention Grabbing. This completely ridiculous looking and very large and colorful hat causes people who can see it to take notice of you, if they can see it.
The Glasses of Nonvisibility. These black glasses are completely opaque, and you have the blinded condition while wearing them.

most of these are magic items in name only, and derive no functionality from being magic except confusing players for a laugh or serving as set dressing in a magic item shop which invariably end up being more desirable to the party than the real products. I think I've actually deployed a lot more useless items that this, but I think these were the most memorable.

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?589778-100-Silly-Scrolls&highlight=Silly+scrolls

That was a great thread. Can't remember if we actually got to 100 before it closed. But its full of unique items your players will never see anywhere else.

Here’s a list of loot ideas I made (and partially stole, for some, but that’s the magic of the internet) for my homebrew setting (sorry if a lot are abbreviated or confusing, they each fit on one line in my doc and I didn’t want to break the pattern):
Ilmatari Magic Waffle Irons- magical Maul, +1d6 fire damage, can make waffles
Ilmatari Syrup- 1 vial, eaten on a waffle, is one day’s rations, and restores 2d4+2 hp
Croaking Frog- A user who speaks bullywug can message others up to a mile away.
Domine’s Brooch- advantage on persuasion 1/day
Spinning Needle- points toward Meteor
Portable Bubble- Necklace, can breath underwater when worn
Fire Circle Stones- 20 lbs of rocks, when arranged in a circle, cast create bonfire, DC 13
Bad Soap- Never consumed, covers anything it is rubbed against in putrid filth and muck
Tornado in a Jar- casts Dust Devil in the space it’s in when opened, total 10 rounds
Soft Pillow- regain all lost hit die on a long rest i/o half
Ocarina of Loudness- action, deafened 100 ft, origin inscrutable w/o magic
Mercurial Dropper- casts Tenser’s Floating Disk, following dropper. 7 drops
Immovable Glove- command word toggle, up to 500 lbs capacity or DC 20 STR
Mirror of Truesight- see through illusions and invisibility in the mirror
Bear of Protection- Teddy Bear, turns into Brown Bear when command word (1 use)
Prehensile Whip- action, grab/restrain up to 10 ft that it can wrap around, DC 14
Assassin’s Dart- magic weapon, picture target, goes around cover (1 use)
Magic Missile Rod- 1 magic missile dart as a cantrip (1d4+1)
Ring of Petrification- petrifies wearer
Bee Gourd- cork, 1 pint of honey/minute, broken (5 hp 15 AC) yields swarm of bees
Merciful Warhammer- +1, only deals nonlethal damage
Conducting Rod- metal pike, Absorb Elements for lightning damage at will
Paired Compasses- each points to the other
Candle of Darkness- 1 hour, magical darkness & dim light 5 ft
Mr. Fixit- 1 ft tall monodrone, can cast mending, dies if attacked and reforms next day
Death Coin- former phylactery, appears to be powerful necromancy magic, blocks others
Sticky Boots- spider climb, yellow glue trail, must move constantly or restrained, DC 20
Empty Bottle- is empty, anything inserted disappears
Bone Box- music box, action maintain, DC 16, or Irresistible Dance skeletons within 10 ft
Wind Wagon- 100 lb, 1000 lb total capacity, hovers 3 ft, 30 ft speed (40 east, 20 west)
Broken Arcane Motor- 20 lb, cast gust with two hands
Arcane Motor- 20 lb, cast gust of wind at will, two hands
Ring of Feather Fall- 1/day
Cat Ring- resistance to fall damage, always land upright, +1 to DEX score (max 20)
Pen of Transcribing- document (up to 10 pages) blank w/touch, transcribes to blanks
Tortle Shell- +2 AC, 400 lbs, total cover prone, adv on swim, 17 AC 20 hp, mend +5 hp
Bottomless Inkwell- infinite ink, ink cloud underwater, 5 ft radius, heavy obscure 1 min
Orb of Light Absorption- when uncovered, all light sources within 120 ft dimmed by ½
Truth Coin- 1/day, flip result reveals if a person is lying.
Book of Tongues- place harvested tongues in book, speak language when open to page
Flask of Boiling- boils liquid after 1 minute, deals 1d6 fire when poured
Friendship Bracelets- tightens when other takes damage
Leech Dust- removes injury poisons and diseases with 1 minute application (3 uses)
Springy Shortbow- has longbow range and damage (1d8)
Memory Arrow- two extra die damage to creature of race it has hit before, can’t break
Seeds of Evil- planted over buried undead, rise in one day as zombie (7 uses)
Cloning Plant- water with blood to cast Clone, ready in 120 days
Propellor Hat- cast Warding Wind, each use has a 5% cumulative chance of tearing
Death Ward- pendant, auto succeed on death save before roll (1 use)
Exploding Pineapple- cut crown, 15 ft cone, DC 14 DEX vs 3d6 acid or half (1 use)
Hat of Disguise
Ventriloquist’s Blowgun- project voice up to 60 ft away
Satyr’s Pan Flute- advantage on spell saves and can cast druidcraft while playing
Token of Lightness- place on object, decrease weight by ½ (1 use)
Elemental Lyre- can cast gust, shape water, mold earth, and control flames 3/day
Oblivious Wand- 3/day, holder is invisible to one target
Pacifying Spores- vial, 5 ft radius cloud, 11 DC CON vs stun 1 min, repeat save turn end
Sacrificial Dagger- autocrit against prone, victims can’t be brought back
Candy Frog- once eaten, only speak in Bullywug for 1 day (can’t understand) (1 use)
Misch Bearing- pair, each rolls towards the other
Mint Candy- cast dragon’s breath (cold), DC 14, on eater (also all alternate candies)
Crier’s Horn- triples voice volume
Hat of Holding
Knife Ring- turns into dagger when twisted (1 use)
Fletcher’s Mitt- ranged missile attacks that miss wearer can be caught
Brawler’s Drink- flask, makes unarmed strikes +2 magic weapons when chugged (1 use)
Breathing Scarf- neutralizes any inhaled effects (cannot breath underwater)
Giant Fire Beetle- dormant, acts as familiar for whoever wakes it
Speaking Tie- clip-on bowtie, cannot be silenced
Frost Walker Boots- ignore difficult terrain from ice, walk on water like Elsa
Mimic Sword- longsword, turns into mimic on Nat 1
Faerie Arrow- advantage on attacks against someone struck by this arrow, can’t break
Bendy Rapier- crit, target is restrained, DC 14, can’t attack until escape or release
Pole- 10 ft, can’t be broken
Amputee’s Tourniquet- illusion limb to be amputated, is invisible. DC 18 investigation
Barrel Cactus- barrel, has juice, ale, basic poison, acid, sovereign glue, or alchemist’s fire
Silk Cactus- generates 5d6 silks each week
Wand of Switcheroo- 3 charges
Mithral Net- AC 22, DC 16, 10 lbs, 14 STR to use by hand
Oversized Net- up to huge target, 20 lbs, 16 STR to use by hand
Net Thrower- +2, range 30/120 (ammunition)
Magic Detector- Detect Magic 3/day, color changing crystal with wire wrapping
Ring of Contraception- adv on CON saves against disease, infertile when worn properly
Shell Powder- adv on spell saves for 1 min when snorted, or color spray (10d10)
Warm Socks- resistance to cold and withstand extreme cold environments
Extra Organ- bean, swallowed, grows into organ, adv on poison saves
Spiked Top- throw 30 ft, DC 16 DEX vs 1 piercing and -10 ft speed when move in/out
Spring Stilts- 1 min don, double jump, +5 speed, +2 ft height
Shield Ring- turns into shield when twisted
Reaper’s Sickle- +1, extra 2d4 necrotic against older target
Jar of Time- when closed, time freezes inside
Quickdraw- Hand Crossbow stored in gauntlet, can also conceal 3 bolts (bonus action)
Oiled Leather- 13+DEX, adv to escape grapples
Elven Chain- 14+DEX (max 2), no proficiency
Vengeful Armor- smoking black studded leather, cast Hellish Rebuke 2/day
Werehide- resistance to physical until start of next turn on kill, vulnerable to silvered
Cushy Gambeson- crits become normal hits, no disadv on stealth, resistance to bludg
Mage Glove- cast Mage Hand, invisible
Zerth Blade- Sun Blade, deals force damage
Boots of Elvenkind- adv on move silently stealth
Monkey Paw Pendant- adv on pickpocket, nat 1 on one, stuck in pocket unless let go
Soul Stone- death while wearing, next wearer is possessed DC 14 WIS
Bottled Chwinga- is a Chwinga in a bottle
Baby Geonid- head-sized rock, moves around when no one’s looking
Elephantine Portable Ram- +5 to STR to break doors, cast Knock 1/day, 40 lbs
Rot Grub- 1, in a glass vial, dormant until uncorked
Helm of Rage- deal double damage to objects and buildings (bared teeth on visor)
Enchanted Gythka- 1d8 slashing, bonus action attack
Returning Chatkcha- 1d6 slashing, thrown 30/120, return to sender on miss
Spyglass
Captain’s Logbook- write contracts with a Merrenoloth (10 bar worth per person)
Storybook- cast Sleep (free) by reading, additional 1d8 every minute of reading
Book of Lore- Legend Lore w/bookmark (delay), wash with Styx water to refresh
Book of Burning- Control Flames, 34 pages, pyrotechnics w/ cover or 10 pages
Sending Stone- cast Sending by crushing in hand and blowing to the wind
Styx Water- lose short term memories (that day) when drink or splash, bathe feeblemind
Wood Woad Guide- instructions for ritual, bark cover contains magic seed
Tome of Secrets- touch creature at 0, kill, story inside (no), squeeze out for +1 max hp
Historian’s Quill- use to kill 0 hp creature, their blood can write their life story
Fronque’s Anatomy- +1 to Medicine for 60 days after reading
Moril’s Guide to Conversing- gives a handful of phrases in all languages
The Friendly Quill- small diary, is bonded with another diary Tom Riddle style
Skeleton Key
Paper Animals- book, 20 pages, write name of tiny beast to fold up paper version
Wizard’s Weed- adv on Int checks for 10 min, Wis by -1 for 10 days, cumulative
Flint- light black stone 1 sided longsword, +2
Steel- light steel 1 sided longsword, 1d6 lightning
Flint & Steel- greatsword, extra 2d6 fire, start fires (or dual wield as is)
Amber Memories- stored memories of an elven wizard and his family
Behir Blade- shortsword, d6 lightning, sparks when a dragon is near
Forkroot- ingested poison, DC 15 Con save vs no magic for 1 hour
Rust Dust- -1 to metal object AC / weapon bonus, -5 destroy, 10 uses
Resonant Blade- nat 7 on attack, target to border ethereal until begin wielder’s next turn
Alternate Resonant Blade- shadowfell, deep ethereal, feywild, astral, etc
Flammable Chalk- different colors, lines are used to light things from a distance
Phase Silk- fabric or rope, goes to Border Ethereal when under excessive stress
Gooey Egg- apply or ingest, 2d8+2 hp, cure poisoned condition & disease
Sealing Wax- something enveloped in this wax ages much more quickly
Book of Faces- cast disguise self while holding book with face of person
Blade of Parrying- arandur shortsword, reaction resistance thunder/force till start turn
Bit of Undying- placed in mouth, no death as long as owner is alive, smell dead
Book of Minor Awakening- Tiny Servant (toy) as a ritual on a full moon, 5% evil product
Singing Blade- finesse longsword, Fey Ancestry, acrobatics proficiency, lion, +2 if elf
Book of Song- full of music staffs, music written within is broadcast 10 miles when burnt
Slaad Egg- 1, vial
Chaos Phage- 1 Dose, vial
Enchanted Moonstones- crush and cast Moonbeam DC 16
Redhaft- Misch/coral bladed halberd, +10 ft swim, +1, +2 & sense evil swimming entities
Starmaps- book with various constellations, orient & estimate distances, +1 to navigate
Porthole Shield- portal to unpopulated region of Water on front, can enter
Spellbook- various spells for (the wizard)
Ritual Book- book of rituals

For context, in my setting, waffles with red syrup is like communion wafers for the church of Ilmater, and represents a bloody torture rack, there is a metallic meteor in the jungle composed of a mixture of adamant, mithral, and other precious metals called Misch, which is mined by dwarves, cast into bars, and used as currency (each worth 1 pp), silks are balls of silk used as currency by elves (1 cp). Feel free to ask about any of these, and steal as many as strike your fancy

I gave the following items to Players once.

Blade-in-a-Bottle : when you open this vial containing a deepblue liquid, the liquid jump forth out of the bottle forming a shortword (use the exact same rules as drawing a weapon, may or may not be considered a magical weapon)

Screaming Sword : This broken blade has the hilt wrapped in chains attaching it to it's scabard. as an action you can undo the chains and draw the blade that start screaming in a way that is painfull to hear. Any creature within 30ft that can hear it must succeed a DC13 CHA save or be afected by the bane spell.
(my wording is terrible but it's a wand of bane that doesn't looks like so)

Tome of the cat : this book is filled with runes and word that are not to be understood by mortal mind. If you studies the book for 9 minutes or turn 9 page of it, a random cat emerges from somewhere your eyes can't see and come to sit/sleep on the tome preventing any further reading. Any attemps at removing the cat scare him away, darting back to somewere you can't see, and closing the book (breaking any restrains if needed) in the process.

Gnomish repeater : this strange looking hand crossbow (not magical, just high engineering) has a very high recoil, making it a two handed weapon. Strange mechanisme howerver allows it to ignore the loading property, and function at an altered range. To use this weapon with proficiency you need to be proficient with the shortbow.

I may have borrowed them from some online source I don't remember, so credits to you if you are the original creator of these.

This is fun.

Love all of these! The blade in a bottle especially will interest my alchemist artificer. These items are mostly for a shop that sells weird and crazy items run by a recurring character in my games, he also sells crazy spells, so the silly scroll thread is really helpful, and if you have any ideas for spells I'll take those too!
My players love to buy magic items, and I want them too because in games I play in I love buying them, but as a DM Letting them buy permanent magic items straight from the book can be an issue, and there are only so many that aren't a problem, so I use these fun and weird ones to stock my shops so that they can get there fill. they absolutely love this guy and his items and at this point they prefer his spells and items over anything in the book. Watching them trying to win fights with only stupid magic items because "It has to be useful somehow!" is a great joy for me as a DM. And I thank you for helping me with that!

Specter
2020-06-15, 11:57 AM
Brainstorming: RING OF CHAOTIC DEMISE

Person wears ring, when that person reaches 0hp they roll on a table and see what happens

1: Immediate death
2: Become invisible
3: Regain 1hp
4: Cast magic jar spell on a nearby creature
5: Soul becomes trapped in ring

etc.

DevilMcam
2020-06-15, 12:04 PM
Indecisive coin :
when used for heads or tail, always land on the side and spin for 5 minutes then stop on the edge.

LordCdrMilitant
2020-06-15, 03:14 PM
Love all of these! The blade in a bottle especially will interest my alchemist artificer. These items are mostly for a shop that sells weird and crazy items run by a recurring character in my games, he also sells crazy spells, so the silly scroll thread is really helpful, and if you have any ideas for spells I'll take those too!
My players love to buy magic items, and I want them too because in games I play in I love buying them, but as a DM Letting them buy permanent magic items straight from the book can be an issue, and there are only so many that aren't a problem, so I use these fun and weird ones to stock my shops so that they can get there fill. they absolutely love this guy and his items and at this point they prefer his spells and items over anything in the book. Watching them trying to win fights with only stupid magic items because "It has to be useful somehow!" is a great joy for me as a DM. And I thank you for helping me with that!

Stupid magic items at the tchochke shop are one of the best things in D&D. Good for a laugh, and my parties love to acquire them.

The other thing I like to have are vendors that sell magic items that are useless to the party but much more useful to everybody else in the world, since it characterizes magic as part of the world and not just thing thing one of the party members does that's out of place. Like a magical Home Despot.

Daithi
2020-06-15, 03:27 PM
Here is a serious magic item that I like.

Compass of Finding
You picture a person in your mind. The Compass of Finding will now point in the direction of that individual. The compass does not provide any indication in regards to how far away the target is located. If the target is dead, on another plane, or using magic to prevent location then the compass needle spins without pointing in a direction. The compass can't be used again to locate someone (including the same target who may have moved) until the next dawn.

This a great tool for a bounty hunter.

moonfly7
2020-06-15, 06:17 PM
Stupid magic items at the tchochke shop are one of the best things in D&D. Good for a laugh, and my parties love to acquire them.

The other thing I like to have are vendors that sell magic items that are useless to the party but much more useful to everybody else in the world, since it characterizes magic as part of the world and not just thing thing one of the party members does that's out of place. Like a magical Home Despot.

I agree. A lot of my new spells and magic items are stuff like household magic for cleaning, preserving food, etc. I call the spells like that "Folk Magic" and they're passed around communities but generally glossed over by mage college's in favor of more combat and utility focused curriculum.

comicshorse
2020-06-15, 06:22 PM
A favourite from an old campaign was the 'Bread Spear'. The heirloom weapon of a noble family whose land was perfect for growing wheat.
A +1 Spear but the first time it drew blood each day it would create D6 loaves of rather nasty black bread. Not nice stuff but it would keep you alive

Wizard_Lizard
2020-06-15, 08:54 PM
A clock that no matter what you try, is always a small amount of time off what you think it should be.