PDA

View Full Version : Changes I expect to see in the OOTS

Charles Phipps
2007-10-27, 11:10 PM
During the 3 month time skip....

1. Elan now has an eyepatch.

2. Elan is now serious and not funny.

3. Elan is now a competent leader.

4. Roy is now the lowest level in the party.

5. Belkar is now their enemy.

6. Haley is no longer with Elan.

monty
2007-10-27, 11:17 PM
4 will almost certainly happen, since I think they were all the same level before, and Roy loses a level when he's resurrected. 1 would be a good comic effect, and is entirely possible. On the other hand,

2. This would completely ruin the character. I don't see Rich ever doing it.

3. He has no Int or Wis. That's not likely to change in just 3 months.

5. Mark of Justice.

6. We already know Elan is going to get a happy ending. This would ruin that.

Finn Solomon
2007-10-27, 11:25 PM
Someone will be missing a limb, and have a weapon attached to the end of missing limb, a la Captain Axe.

Kish
2007-10-27, 11:31 PM
Some of your posts before have confused me, Charles. Your insistence on Roy staying dead...your wanting Elan to lead...

But this is the first time it's really appeared to me that you want to be reading a completely different webcomic than you actually are. I hope you're joking.

Green Bean
2007-10-27, 11:58 PM
These are the changes I'm expecting.

Roy will free himself from his afterlife by drawing the Master Sword, giving him better blade skills but obsoleting most of his other equipment for some reason. He will quest to find new and much cooler items, defeating bosses with the very weapons he discovered in their lairs.

Vaarsuvius will have nearly succumbed to a dangerous mag-organic virus, forcing him/her to replace his/her eye with a scrying crystal, and his/her left arm with a permanent Bigby's Grasping Hand. Most of Vaarsuvius' ultimate arcane power will be devoted to keeping the virus in check, but he/she will still be a powerful threat.

Durkon will have been constantly pursued by an nigh-invulnerable undead sent after him, turning him from calm, compassionate dwarf into a surly, take charge leader. He credits this change to his several close calls with aforementioned undead; claims monster came this close to 'terminating' him.

Haley took Roy's loss hard, which caused her mind to de-fracture. Missing the ever-present banter of her warring mindscape, she quits adventuring and becomes a stripper, performing under the name of Jessic- I mean Mistress Shadowgale.

An accident with a Regenerate spell leaves Belkar even more insane than usual. He begins to weird out his fellow teammates with references to some sort of 'audience', as well as claiming that there's a draft coming through the fourth wall. Oddly enough, his change seems to have resulted in a closer friendship with Varrsuvius.

Elan will have spent most of his time offscreen, and in spite of his previous role of comedic incompetence, leads an army of NPCs quite skillfully. He will prove quite pivotal in the final battle, lopping off the head of Xykon's final phylatcery.

Hood
2007-10-28, 12:19 AM
Hmmm... I get Roy, Haley, and Durkon, but what are the other references?

Green Bean
2007-10-28, 12:26 AM

For Belkar and Vaarsuvius, think 'comic books'. Hint: rhymes with 'Athan May'. Elan's is a little more recent. I'm sure if you think about it, you won't need a clue.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-10-28, 01:50 AM
Some of your posts before have confused me, Charles. Your insistence on Roy staying dead...your wanting Elan to lead...

But this is the first time it's really appeared to me that you want to be reading a completely different webcomic than you actually are. I hope you're joking.
Of course this is a joke. The earlier Roy-death stuff may not have been, but this is clearly both silly and referential. I'm personally getting a very Heroes vibe from it, although it's probably based on more specific stories that "Five Years Gone" borrowed from.

RMS Oceanic
2007-10-28, 03:21 AM
The main problem with the "[Character] loses their [body part]." Predictions is regenerate. Regenerate can regrow any lost body parts, and it's a seventh level spell, so Durkon can cast it.

(SoD Spoilers)
I suspect the eyepatch thing will never come about, at least not permanently, because Redcloak offered to cast it on Right-Eye to restore his eye, even though it was stabbed out some thirty four years prior, which is the basis for my theory.

I also doubt that Elan will be serious because:

(Dungeon Crawlin Fools spoiler)
Rich stated that Elan is his guarantee that Order of the Stick won't descend into excessive black humor, or be too full of angst.

ReproMan
2007-10-28, 03:54 AM

That was honestly the first thing that popped into my head when I read this thread title. It'd probably provide a +1 Inherent Charisma bonus.

'Sergeant Elan Fury, Agent of Stick'

DeltaDart
2007-10-28, 06:02 AM
Elan changes into a serious warrior after a mass destruction of the city and the death of his best friend.

Sounds like Hiro Nakamura in the "Heroes"...

Emperor Demonking
2007-10-28, 06:28 AM
I got all of them apart from belkar. Actually is Belkar Deadpool

Chrismith
2007-10-28, 06:38 AM

Why does everyone always assume that "Elan gets a happy ending" translates to "nothing bad can ever happen to him or Haley"? It's perfectly plausible for Elan and Haley to separate. Perhaps they get back together at the end, and that's Elan's happy ending -- or maybe Elan finally gets with putting-herself-through-ninja-school girl, and finds that he's much happier with her than he ever was with Haley. Either of those would make for a much better story than "Elan and Haley are happy all the time, forever".

And hell, it doesn't even have to relate to a relationship. Maybe at the end of the story, the rest of the order is dead, but Banjo has finally taken his rightful place among the gods, and that's what makes Elan truly happy.

Also, remember where this prophecy is coming from. The oracle has proven himself to be kind of an ass, taking questions literally and twisting words. ("Where is Xykon?" "In his throne room.") Granted, Elan's question is pretty straightforward, but I still wouldn't be surprised to see some unexpected twist that technically fulfills the prophecy.

Eh, I'm rambling now. It's way too early.

MBV
2007-10-28, 07:18 AM

Could be, but couldn't they just heal it? He is with Durkon after all.

I don't see this happening, he has always been a comical character, I don't see this changing.

Yeah, Right

4. Roy is now the lowest level in the party.

I think they'll make a couple of jokes about it, but don't expect this to become a big issue. I don't recall this comic ever delving too deep into the D&D rules, except to mock them.

5. Belkar is now their enemy.

The party would first have to be re-united, and that will require 30+ strips. I don't think Belkar will ever become the enemy, it's too obvious, except if he's charmed (again), that is.

6. Haley is no longer with Elan.

Technically, they haven't been together since the end of the last story arc. And seeing the hopelessness of the entire situation, they will stay seperated for a while. As for the relationship, I think it will last at least a little longer, seeing as it has only lasted 99 strips so far, and we have been wating for it to happen for ages

Kish
2007-10-28, 07:24 AM

Elan's is a little more recent. I'm sure if you think about it, you won't need a clue.
I'm less certain than h_v that you've read Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

Oops, I gave it away. :smalltongue:

redcodekevin
2007-10-28, 08:45 AM
I'm less certain than h_v that you've read Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

Oops, I gave it away. :smalltongue:

Oh,
I knew "final phylactery" had something to do with horcruxes -or multiple soul-savers, rather (or is it backwards? :smallsmile: ).
Elan Longbottom FTW!

OOTS_Rules.
2007-10-28, 09:55 AM
I got the Roy and ELan refrences.

Finn Solomon
2007-10-28, 10:09 AM
I got all of them apart from belkar. Actually is Belkar Deadpool

Yeah, you're right. And kudos for recognizing Elan's reference. I was puzzling my brains out over that one.

The Extinguisher
2007-10-28, 12:17 PM
I got all of them except Durkons. Go me.

Roderick_BR
2007-10-28, 12:50 PM
(...)

Reminds me of the adult Enzo from Reboot.

@H_V: I got the references with Roy, Varsuuvius, and with some effort, Elan and Belkar. :smallbiggrin:

Maybe Roy will wake up in his resurrected body, to find half the world destroyed, and he'll have to go out into an adventure to find his friends scattered all around the world.

Wolfie_1066
2007-10-28, 01:25 PM

Roy will free himself from his afterlife by drawing the Master Sword, giving him better blade skills but obsoleting most of his other equipment for some reason. He will quest to find new and much cooler items, defeating bosses with the very weapons he discovered in their lairs.

*caugh* legend of zelda *caugh* seriously though...your kidding right? there is NO way this could happen to Elan, how could he become serious? dude, if he became serious im dropping OOTS like a hot potato, elan+serious=ruined

Green Bean
2007-10-28, 02:15 PM
*caugh* legend of zelda *caugh* seriously though...your kidding right? there is NO way this could happen to Elan, how could he become serious? dude, if he became serious im dropping OOTS like a hot potato, elan+serious=ruined

I can honestly say I'm being as serious about Roy as I am about my other predictions.

Holammer
2007-10-28, 03:47 PM
Well, Belkar and Haley must be royally po'ed. Imagine lugging around Roy's decomposing remains... *EWWWWW*
Hope they dumped him in a vat of wine or something.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-10-28, 04:01 PM

It's possible to have a successful second relationship you know.

NikkTheTrick
2007-10-28, 04:08 PM
Well, Belkar and Haley must be royally po'ed. Imagine lugging around Roy's decomposing remains... *EWWWWW*
Hope they dumped him in a vat of wine or something.

Given alcohol in Roy's wounds, that would make it agonizing for Roy is Durkon cast a Raise Dead on him. Try putting some wine on your wound. Now imagine wine on all the wounds Roy has when he comes back to life:smalleek:

After 2 weeks, there would be no point in dragging Roy's body - they'd need just a piece of it and burn the rest.

2007-10-28, 04:22 PM
Roy isn't going to be the lowest level chatacter. He was the highest level character in the Order. I suspect Durkon was closest to him. The party is somewhere around 13-15th level, Roy was like 16 or 17. Even with his level loss he'll be the same level, or possibly higher level than the others.

NikkTheTrick
2007-10-28, 04:25 PM
Roy isn't going to be the lowest level chatacter. He was the highest level character in the Order. I suspect Durkon was closest to him. The party is somewhere around 13-15th level, Roy was like 16 or 17. Even with his level loss he'll be the same level, or possibly higher level than the others.

Class and Level geekery put Roy to 13 level, along with the rest of the team. The party leveled together (except Belkar who lagged a bit behind), which indicates similar levels.

16 level would be very, very high.

2007-10-28, 04:28 PM
Class and Level geekery put Roy to 13 level, along with the rest of the team. The party leveled together (except Belkar who lagged a bit behind), which indicates similar levels.

16 level would be very, very high.

"You were the highest level Good character on the field..."

Sixth panel. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0485.html)

So the class and level geekery thread is wrong.

Porthos
2007-10-28, 04:34 PM

<pedant>
Nothing in that statement says that no one on the battlefield was of equal level than Roy. Just that no one was of higher level than Roy.
</pedant>

IOW: If Roy and V were both 13th level, and all of the Azure City forces were 12th level or under, then the statement is still correct.

Slightly misleading, but still correct. :smallsmile:

Skyserpent
2007-10-28, 04:36 PM

Vaarsuvius will have nearly succumbed to a dangerous mag-organic virus, forcing him/her to replace his/her eye with a scrying crystal, and his/her left arm with a permanent Bigby's Grasping Hand. Most of Vaarsuvius' ultimate arcane power will be devoted to keeping the virus in check, but he/she will still be a powerful threat.

Durkon will have been constantly pursued by an nigh-invulnerable undead sent after him, turning him from calm, compassionate dwarf into a surly, take charge leader. He credits this change to his several close calls with aforementioned undead; claims monster came this close to 'terminating' him.

Haley took Roy's loss hard, which caused her mind to de-fracture. Missing the ever-present banter of her warring mindscape, she quits adventuring and becomes a stripper, performing under the name of Jessic- I mean Mistress Shadowgale.

An accident with a Regenerate spell leaves Belkar even more insane than usual. He begins to weird out his fellow teammates with references to some sort of 'audience', as well as claiming that there's a draft coming through the fourth wall. Oddly enough, his change seems to have resulted in a closer friendship with Varrsuvius.

Elan will have spent most of his time offscreen, and in spite of his previous role of comedic incompetence, leads an army of NPCs quite skillfully. He will prove quite pivotal in the final battle, lopping off the head of Xykon's final phylatcery.

V and Belkar are NEVER going to be Cable & Deadpool.

Skyserpent
2007-10-28, 04:39 PM
For Belkar and Vaarsuvius, think 'comic books'. Hint: rhymes with 'Athan May'. Elan's is a little more recent. I'm sure if you think about it, you won't need a clue.

And it's not Nate Gray, it's Nathan Dayspring Askanison Summers.

Max_Sinister
2007-10-28, 05:21 PM

One moment - higher even than Miko? OK, so she is definitely dead, but not necessarily good. Or Eugene was simply exaggerating.

Green Bean
2007-10-28, 06:50 PM
V and Belkar are NEVER going to be Cable & Deadpool.

I can dream...

NikkTheTrick
2007-10-28, 08:51 PM

1. Of course! Eugene would never exagerrate things to humiliate Roy

2. When Xylon fought Roy, he said that he is 6-7-8 levels above him. Xylon is level 20.

3. Party leveled together on at least 2 ocasions. If there was a large gap between Roy and the rest, that would not happen.

Charles Phipps
2007-10-28, 09:08 PM
I'm sure the last 3 months have been completely Hell and it's going to be a major culture shock. Frankly, Elan has been the leader of the Order of the Stick for these past months (as it should be-he's the bard). So, I imagine in the wake of the Hellish chaos they've been enduring that he's going to be a lot more serious.

Plus, I'm sure everyone has gone up.

I admit, a part of me is giddy at seeing Elan utterly school Roy in a duel.

Porthos
2007-10-28, 09:11 PM
One moment - higher even than Miko? OK, so she is definitely dead, but not necessarily good. Or Eugene was simply exaggerating.

Miko, being locked up in jail for 95% of the attack, was not on the battlefield. :smallamused:

Edea
2007-10-28, 09:52 PM
OOOOR, everyone is at a fancy resort, sipping on alcoholic beverages and soaking up sunshine, when...

:durkon: "Thor's wenis, man...tis a sad day, indeed, for it be the end of our vacationin'."

:haley: "WHAT? We haven't even tried the jacuzzi yet, back at the hotel!"

:belkar: "You had three and a half months, genius."

:haley: "No, I mean the one that just opened today, The Red Dragon (TM)."

:thog: "thog tried after breakfast, thog's bottom now smooth as shells on beach."

:nale: "Thog, remember what I said about too much information?"

:vaarsuvius: "I find the assertion that an ancient red dragon is the source of both its effervessence and thermal properties to be suspect, if not completely ludicrous."

:thog: "thog feels POWER OF DRAGON!"

:xykon: "Yeah, well Xykon feels the need for some more of that Kahlua, stat."

:redcloak: "*Sigh* yes, your Evilness."

:miko: "...and Roy will obviously feel a need to reprimand you all for your laziness, and how inconsiderate you have been with regards to his absence *sips coconut*."

:belkar::durkon::xykon::vaarsuvius::haley::thog: "..."

:nale: "...um..."

:redcloak: "Don't..."

:miko: (unable to control herself) "-pffftHAHAH! 'Ohhh, NOOO, I've been Lawful Stupid!' No one wants me in the comic anymore! What-EVER shall I DO?!" (puts the coconut down and stretches contentedly) "Well, since I am on contract, I...guess I'd better just stay here, seeing how irredeemable I am :smallbiggrin:."

:belkar: "God DAMMIT, I hate you so much!"

:vaarsuvius: "That exclamation, I believe, is in the current possession of Roy."

:belkar: "She's getting PAID for this?! I'm suing."

:elan: "Well, at least we'll get to see Roy again!"

:xykon::redcloak: "Oh, RAPTURE."

Roderick_BR
2007-10-29, 05:07 AM
OOOOR, everyone is at a fancy resort, sipping on alcoholic beverages and soaking up sunshine, when...

:durkon: "Thor's wenis, man...tis a sad day, indeed, for it be the end of our vacationin'."

:haley: "WHAT? We haven't even tried the jacuzzi yet, back at the hotel!"

:belkar: "You had three and a half months, genius."

:haley: "No, I mean the one that just opened today, The Red Dragon (TM)."

:thog: "thog tried after breakfast, thog's bottom now smooth as shells on beach."

:nale: "Thog, remember what I said about too much information?"

:vaarsuvius: "I find the assertion that an ancient red dragon is the source of both its effervessence and thermal properties to be suspect, if not completely ludicrous."

:thog: "thog feels POWER OF DRAGON!"

:xykon: "Yeah, well Xykon feels the need for some more of that Kahlua, stat."

:redcloak: "*Sigh* yes, your Evilness."

:miko: "...and Roy will obviously feel a need to reprimand you all for your laziness, and how inconsiderate you have been with regards to his absence *sips coconut*."

:belkar::durkon::xykon::vaarsuvius::haley::thog: "..."

:nale: "...um..."

:redcloak: "Don't..."

:miko: (unable to control herself) "-pffftHAHAH! 'Ohhh, NOOO, I've been Lawful Stupid!' No one wants me in the comic anymore! What-EVER shall I DO?!" (puts the coconut down and stretches contentedly) "Well, since I am on contract, I...guess I'd better just stay here, seeing how irredeemable I am :smallbiggrin:."

:belkar: "God DAMMIT, I hate you so much!"

:vaarsuvius: "That exclamation, I believe, is in the current possession of Roy."

:belkar: "She's getting PAID for this?! I'm suing."

:elan: "Well, at least we'll get to see Roy again!"

:xykon::redcloak: "Oh, RAPTURE."

That just made my day :smallbiggrin:

Kish
2007-10-29, 05:21 AM
2. When Xylon fought Roy, he said that he is 6-7-8 levels above him. Xylon is level 20.

Xylon may be level 20. But Xykon's level is unestablished--beyond that he can cast Meteor Swarm, Energy Drain, and Soul Bind.

Not only does nothing say Xykon is level 20, Xykon makes no claim of knowing how many levels above Roy he is, beyond it being obviously enough that it's silly for Roy to try to fight him.

Gitman00
2007-10-29, 06:20 AM
Xylon may be level 20. But Xykon's level is unestablished--beyond that he can cast Meteor Swarm, Energy Drain, and Soul Bind.

Not only does nothing say Xykon is level 20, Xykon makes no claim of knowing how many levels above Roy he is, beyond it being obviously enough that it's silly for Roy to try to fight him.

Indeed. All we know is that he is at minimum 20th level. He may very well have entered epic levels by now. However, there are other arguments in Class and Level Geekery for Roy being 13th level; I won't rehash them here.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-10-29, 07:51 AM
I'm sure the last 3 months have been completely Hell and it's going to be a major culture shock. Frankly, Elan has been the leader of the Order of the Stick for these past months (as it should be-he's the bard). So, I imagine in the wake of the Hellish chaos they've been enduring that he's going to be a lot more serious.

Plus, I'm sure everyone has gone up.

I admit, a part of me is giddy at seeing Elan utterly school Roy in a duel.
Okay, I kinda ignored this thread because I thought you were joking, but now I have to argue with you because you sound serious. I admit, Elan's character developing into something a little more competent/serious is possible, and maybe even desirable. Especially since he's the natural leader in his subgroup, with Haley's Int/Cha combo and contractual lieutenantship stuck back in the city. If he goes Cerberus on us, I will find where the Giant lives and egg his house personally, but a limited amount of maturing would go well.

I just...really don't see why Elan beating Roy in a duel would be giddy-inducing. I see that more as "if it happens, Roy has been made completely useless as an adventurer".

Hyozo
2007-10-29, 08:22 AM
On Roy's level: Remember that, not taking Belkar's wisdom into considderation, Haley is the only other non-caster on the team. Casters need to spend XP for some of their spells, ergo non-casters are generally of a slightly higher level than casters.

My theory: While in the ruins of Azure city, Belkar found a magic item belonging to one of the clerics, that item being a cloak/amulet/codpiece/whatever which increases the wisdom of the one who possesses it. Naturally, Roy's return will somehow cause the loss/destruction of this item.

Roy Tamir
2007-10-29, 09:22 AM

I don't think it would be good, can you imagine that?

Kreistor
2007-10-29, 09:32 AM
And it's not Nate Gray, it's Nathan Dayspring Askanison Summers.

No, it's Nathan Dayspring Askani-Gesundheit.

For the Deadpool fans out there.

Green Bean
2007-10-29, 09:33 AM

I thought that was everyone. :smalltongue:

Kaelaroth
2007-10-29, 11:27 AM

*giggles*

"Do I still giggle with those little asterisks? Oh, asterisks! How long have we been apart! I am so glad that we have been reun-"

Lovin' it! :smallcool:

MCerberus
2007-10-29, 11:32 AM
:thog: Thog like deep tissue massage and unlimited puppy room. Thog no want talky man come back and take away ice cream.

Porthos
2007-10-29, 11:59 AM

(minor SoD spoiler)
Actually thanks to the sheer number of ninth level spells that Xykon casts, we know that he is indeed at least 20th level. And one with a insanly high Charisma, as well. :smallwink:

Now he might be Epic Level by now (and probably is after the Dorukan encounter), but if he is, the 6-7-8 comment suggests that he is no greater than 21st or 22nd level. :smallsmile: