PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Help with quest concept - Righteous Gravedigging

Specter
2020-06-15, 12:22 PM
Greetings,
So, in an upcoming session players will have to rescue 3 dead bodies/remains and bring them back to their resting place so they can be at peace. It's a part of a sandbox campaign which relies on bringing good back to a forsaken land and etc.

The ones I have so far:
- Rescue a dead priestess from an undead castle and put her on her grave. When she's returned there, she gives the players a ring, which functions as a Periapt of Wound Closure.
- Reclaim a gold dragon's head and return it to its mausoleum (this one shamelessly stolen from CoS). When he's returned there, he gives the player a bracelet, which effectively gives fire resistance and a fire breathing ability.

Now what I need is a third one of these. What it takes:
1) Dead guy/girl/good monster;
2) Killed in some horrible way, so that its spirit can't rest;
3) Body currently held captive by some evil group.
4) Gives some prize related to its abilities when returned.

Anybody got ideas?

Evaar
2020-06-15, 04:21 PM
You have two champions of good there, so I would go with a redeemed figure.

So perhaps something like a necromancer who turned on his cabal when they became unnecessarily evil; perhaps he prevented some unthinkable atrocity or incredible victory for the cabal, they killed him and bound his soul into a vessel to torment and as an example for future betrayers. The prize could lean more arcane, since the first is more healing based and the second is arguably more martial.

ecarden
2020-06-15, 07:35 PM
You've got what amounts to a priest and a warrior (sort of), so I'd go with a mage for the third.

Depending on level, there might be something to a mage who died closing a portal to the Hells/Abyss/choose your plane and died there (though that's pretty high level for the boons being given thus far). If so, boon would probably be dimensional magic related? I'm a big fan of artifacts which grow with players as they accomplish other tasks, so starts out able to cast misty step once per long rest, increases up to dimension door, then plane shift when certain requirements are met.

For a lower level alternative, still sticking with a mage, there's the apprentice who turned against their master when they discovered what evil the master was up to and died along with them in the heart of the master's mystically protected/trapped/whatever tower. That also gives them the question of what they do with the body of the evil master (someone else probably wants to have been there before and looted the place, or else there may be questions about other magic items).

For a boon for that one, I'd have it vary depending on what they do with the master's body, but maybe something a little weird as the base function: The Ring of the Ethical Underling: This ring gives advantage on persuasion checks to convince an underling to act in an ethical manner which is contrary to the instructions they have been given by their leader.

Then a secondary, more commonly used function depending on if they give the evil mage's body a proper burial (or whatever funeral rites are appropriate in the area), destroy it, create a zombie out of it, leave it in place.

Merciful: The ring allows you to cast Healing Word once per long rest without expending a spell slot.

Vengeful: The ring allows you to cast Hellish Rebuke once per long rest without expending a spell slot.

Pragmatic: The ring allows you to use your action to give all undead creatures you choose within 30 feet advantage on saving throws against being turned.

Undisturbed: This ring allows you to cast gentle repose at will without expending a spell slot.

Specter
2020-06-15, 11:02 PM
Thank you for the input, gentlemen. Seems a mage is indeed the way to go. Now I should decide if the orcs or the yuan-ti did him in, and why he's been kept there for so long...