PDA

View Full Version : Any stand outs from itch.io's recent $5 super bundle?

Spriteless
2020-06-15, 12:30 PM
So, for reasons that don't belong in this forum, itch.io put out 17 hundred ish games in one 5 dollar bundle for charities. I haven't even been through the list yet, but it includes several TTRPGs. Most of which I haven't heard of.

In fact, so far, only one I have heard of. Puffin Forest has a video about Blades in the Dark's super fun heist/flashback system, as juxtaposed against its cynical setting.

Does anyone have any suggestions or experiences about any games in the bundle at all?

Psyren
2020-06-15, 01:09 PM
I meant to make a thread about this bundle because it's a phenomenal deal, even avoiding discussion about the cause it's supporting.

Night In The Woods is one title I know for sure i was interested in from it and has seen some pretty solid reviews from channels I trust.

Jaeda
2020-06-15, 01:09 PM
Celeste is an absolutely fabulous game about fighting anxiety by climbing a mountain. It's a platformer where you can jump, mid-air dash, and optionally collect strawberries. It is pretty difficult (I died about 2000 times, often multiple time a minute), but death usually puts you back on the same screen and the game acts like it is rooting for you to succeed. There is also an assist function in case you do become to frustrated.

Just breathe. You can do this.

Spriteless
2020-06-15, 02:08 PM
Hehe, yeah, I've heard of several of these video games, and also downloaded dozens so far based on a gif in the store page alone. I enjoy playing Witch Way.

But, well, TTRPGs require a team's investment to play, so I was hoping to hear if anyone else had heard about those.

Theoboldi
2020-06-15, 02:29 PM
As far as RPGs go, Lancer I heard good things about. It's apparently a pretty solid and crunchy game about mecha combat.

As far as the games go, I highly recommend Bleed 1 and 2, which are absolutely fantastic cartoony run and gun games. They're pretty short too, so it's not much time lost if you don't like them, but they are very replayable if you do. The second game in particular has an additional rogue-like challenge mode with randomly generated levels.

Also, there is Imscared, which is a pretty good pixel-based horror game that breaks the fourth wall a lot. It's very well crafted and includes some interesting fourth wall-breaking puzzles.

Edit: Ninja'd, it would seem. Oh well, I stand by these recommendations.

Jaeda
2020-06-15, 02:30 PM
Oops. I missed the qualifier on the particular types of games.

Spriteless
2020-06-16, 12:01 PM
No problem Jaeda. Asides from putting it in the roleplaying forum, I didn't really put a qualifier on the advice I was asking for. And with I guess 16 hundred of these 17 hundred being video games, you're still really helpful.

Theoboldi
2020-06-16, 01:55 PM
Speaking of being actually helpful, I went through some of the pdfs I got from the bundle while on the train today, and found another gem in there.

“A Wizard“ is a very solid OSR-styled horror adventure with heavy surreal and lovecraftian elements about hunting down a monstrous entity from the abyss petty cruel wizard. Reading it reminded me of Stephen King's It in a favorable way, and there's plenty of unnerving imagery and moments. It doesn't seem too difficult to run or convert for other systems, with descriptive notes given in addition to usual OSR statistics on all monsters and obstacles. And aside from that, the adventure itself is not too complex, with even its most complex setpiece being easy to grasp on a single read-through.

That said, it is a horror module through and through, and does contain a lot of body horror at that, so it's not for every table. Still, I'd give it a read even if you don't plan on running it, if that sounds even vaguely interesting to you. It's a very worthwhile read.

SirBellias
2020-06-16, 02:46 PM
I'm super excited about Lancer, but I had already bought the hardcover so I may be biased :smalltongue: Crunchy mech combat with a simple system for out of mech activities, I'd give it a read if only for the art.

I read through Troika, and while it doesn't seem that ground breaking in terms of mechanics (OSR) it's definitely an interesting enough setting that I'm gonna run a few one shots with it. It's less than a 100 pages long, I'd give it a look-see.

DataNinja
2020-06-16, 04:26 PM
LANCER is incredible fun, and it comes with access to robust digital tools, too. I highly recommend it.

That's the only one I have personal experience with, but Glitter Hearts looks fun, if you're a fan of the Genre, of course.

Belac93
2020-06-16, 05:08 PM
Sleepaway is fantastic, Corvid Court and Visgoths vs Mall Goths are certainly worth picking up.

Cygnia
2020-06-16, 06:12 PM
It has a hexmap builder tool that I'm hoping to get use out of.

Uvexar
2020-06-17, 01:41 AM
I meant to make a thread about this bundle because it's a phenomenal deal, even avoiding discussion about the cause it's supporting.

Night In The Woods is one title I know for sure i was interested in from it and has seen some pretty solid reviews from channels I trust.

Dang, it has Night in the Woods? I'll have to go back and trawl through the listing. There's just so many games, it's difficult to check them all out.

DeTess
2020-06-17, 01:54 AM
I think Blades in the dark and lancer are the big ones (but my last trawl of the content was when it had only 1400 things). It has a whole bunch of smaller systems, though, and one of those really grabbed my attention. That was 'echoes', which is a freeform system about kids playing in the ruins left behind by a big mecha war a long time ago, and then going on an adventure to return a digital ghost they find to the old war machine it came from.