he goes up to elfleven

that's one higher

of course he wins

babaGAReeb
2020-06-15, 02:48 PM
he goes up to elfleven

that's one higher

of course he wins
can he go higher than that? like to elfinity?

i think he has a chance though as drowminister is watching

Khedrac
2020-06-16, 06:49 AM
The problem with a question like "Drizzt v. Elminster" is that they both have author-agency on their side, and it is a bit of a cop-out to say that the winner is whoever the author wants to win.

Now, oddly we know that Elminster is not a all-powerful as usually assumed - there's one short story where he has to be saved because he cannot really do anything other than slow down the ex-apprentice lich who is coming for his spellbook phylactery which Elminster unknowingly had had in an extradimensional vault. Again author-agency - 'Big E' wasn't the story's hero so he runs into problems to allow the hero to do her stuff.

On one hand, Elminster does seem to be Ed Greenwood's self-insert character for the Realms, and the Realms are Ed's creation so Ed should trump RA Salvatore who created Drizzt and thus Elminster should trump Drizzt.
However, Ed sold the rights to the Realms, so WotC might go with whichever character is more popular, and Drizzt is written to be a protagonist while Elminster was not; I know novels have been written with him as the protagonist, but he mainly serves as a combination of information-source, friendly stranger and deus-ex-machina, all of which means that WotC might decide that Drizzt beats Elminster!

You can then add in the general D&D rule (all versions) that mages beat non-mages assuming the same levels of optimization and system mastery - and both characters are supposed to be optimized (and Elminster definitely has system-mastery) so on this front the contest goes to the mage.

Personally I think the answer would be that neither loses - Drizzt is skilled enough to be able to get away from whatever Elminster throws at him, and Elminster has enough layered defences that nothing Drizzt comes up with will seriously inconvenience him resulting in a draw (until Elminster remembers his friend Mordenkainen and disjoins Drizzt's gear).

FabulousFizban
2020-06-16, 08:01 AM
high level ranger vs epic level wizard. I think the answer is obvious.

Zarrgon
2020-06-16, 08:21 AM
I think old El's Strength is 12.

martixy
2020-06-16, 09:44 AM
I think old El's Strength is 12.

Sounds about right. Gotta be at least "Old" if not "Venerable". Pretty decent for an old coot with penalties.

Psyren
2020-06-16, 09:55 AM
Str 13 actually, his stats are in ELH. (Not that his strength matters a hill of beans.)

Kelb_Panthera
2020-06-17, 05:21 AM
If we presume that narrative backing for both cancels out, we're left with a high level ranger who is pretty young by elf standards vs an epic wizard (plus other stuff) who is old even by elf standards, IIRC.

I'd put the Vegas odds on old E.

patchyman
2020-06-17, 12:29 PM
Ah, elfminister! Elminster’s cheap, non-union equivalent. My money’s on Drizz’t. I am quite confident that he can endure elfminister’s “Power Word: Kilt” and “Wash” spells.

This posting is purely meant for levity’s sake and not as a slight against the OP. Typos are a fact of life in the 21st century, particularly when typing on phobes. 😀

babaGAReeb
2020-06-17, 01:57 PM
Ah, elfminister! Elminster’s cheap, non-union equivalent. My money’s on Drizz’t. I am quite confident that he can endure elfminister’s “Power Word: Kilt” and “Wash” spells.

This posting is purely meant for levity’s sake and not as a slight against the OP. Typos are a fact of life in the 21st century, particularly when typing on phobes. 😀
It wasnt a typo
It was something worse!

I really thought he ws called elfminister
I did think it was strange cuz he didnt look like an elf

babaGAReeb
2020-06-17, 02:00 PM
The problem with a question like "Drizzt v. Elminster" is that they both have author-agency on their side, and it is a bit of a cop-out to say that the winner is whoever the author wants to win.

Now, oddly we know that Elminster is not a all-powerful as usually assumed - there's one short story where he has to be saved because he cannot really do anything other than slow down the ex-apprentice lich who is coming for his spellbook phylactery which Elminster unknowingly had had in an extradimensional vault. Again author-agency - 'Big E' wasn't the story's hero so he runs into problems to allow the hero to do her stuff.

On one hand, Elminster does seem to be Ed Greenwood's self-insert character for the Realms, and the Realms are Ed's creation so Ed should trump RA Salvatore who created Drizzt and thus Elminster should trump Drizzt.
However, Ed sold the rights to the Realms, so WotC might go with whichever character is more popular, and Drizzt is written to be a protagonist while Elminster was not; I know novels have been written with him as the protagonist, but he mainly serves as a combination of information-source, friendly stranger and deus-ex-machina, all of which means that WotC might decide that Drizzt beats Elminster!

You can then add in the general D&D rule (all versions) that mages beat non-mages assuming the same levels of optimization and system mastery - and both characters are supposed to be optimized (and Elminster definitely has system-mastery) so on this front the contest goes to the mage.

Personally I think the answer would be that neither loses - Drizzt is skilled enough to be able to get away from whatever Elminster throws at him, and Elminster has enough layered defences that nothing Drizzt comes up with will seriously inconvenience him resulting in a draw (until Elminster remembers his friend Mordenkainen and disjoins Drizzt's gear).

I think gandalf beats them both easily with one hand while {scrubbed}with the other

U cant beat tolkien

Kelb_Panthera
2020-06-17, 03:19 PM
{Scrubbed}

Khedrac
2020-06-18, 04:11 AM
I think gandalf beats them both easily with one hand
Well yes, deities tend to be able to do that (though Gandalf as written wouldn't attempt to beat either - it would be contrary to his purpose).

Also, what relevance does this have to my post on your question (or your original question)? My first thought on seeing your post was that it was of a spammer attempting to build up post count, then I spotted you were the OP and became puzzled.

paddyfool
2020-06-18, 05:36 AM
Not as strong as orcminister or ogreminister.

Kaptin Keen
2020-06-18, 10:40 AM
I did think it was strange cuz he didnt look like an elf

Well, to be honest, other ministers - health, defense, whatever - don't really look like a health, or a defense either. And frankly, it would be a little weird for elves to have an elfminister. Like humans having a humanminister.

yellowrocket
2020-06-18, 03:39 PM
Maybe the elf minister is just their version of the head of human resources.

I'll show myself out.

babaGAReeb
2020-06-19, 12:15 AM
{Scrubbed}

Well yes, deities tend to be able to do that (though Gandalf as written wouldn't attempt to beat either - it would be contrary to his purpose).

Also, what relevance does this have to my post on your question (or your original question)? My first thought on seeing your post was that it was of a spammer attempting to build up post count, then I spotted you were the OP and became puzzled.
what was the question again? i forget

Khedrac
2020-06-19, 02:25 AM
Scrub the post, scrub the quote

what was the question again? i forget
Scrubbed

Then, you show you don't care about the question you actually asked...
1. The thread title is at the top of every post unless the poster edits it.
2. And for your original post just scroll to the top of the page - we are still on page 1.
Even though I assume from your lack of capitalisation that you post from a mobile, finding the thread topic should be trivial.

Scrubbed

babaGAReeb
2020-06-19, 04:46 AM
Scrubbed

Then, you show you don't care about the question you actually asked...
1. The thread title is at the top of every post unless the poster edits it.
2. And for your original post just scroll to the top of the page - we are still on page 1.
Even though I assume from your lack of capitalisation that you post from a mobile, finding the thread topic should be trivial.

Scrubbed
{Scrubbed}