PDA

View Full Version : Best/Worst Module you've seen? Module rating / fixes resources?

Quertus
2020-06-15, 09:40 PM
Reading back through some old modules, I've begun to see just how horrifically bad many of them are. From typos to plot holes to horrific rails, I struggle to imagine how some of the authors didn't have to pay people to take their trash away rather than conning kids into paying their hard-earned cash for that refuse.

So, I'm wondering, quality-wise, what the best and worst modules you've seen are. Whether there is a *good* existing repository of module ratings, especially for things like overall quality/sanity, Rule of Three compliance, etc. Or whether there is official errata - or even someone's homebrew - that says "here's what this module *ought* to say".

Firest Kathon
2020-06-16, 02:23 AM
The Pathfinder modules on the Paizo homepage (https://paizo.com/store/pathfinder/adventures/first) come with a rating. For some people have posted their modifications in the comments thread. There's also the shared GM Prep (http://pfsprep.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum.php) forum for Pathfinder Society, where people are sharing resources they created for running those adventures. As focus is on PFS, it's naturally without any modifications to the content itself.

Eldan
2020-06-16, 03:53 AM
Some of the worst I've read were some of the modules for the Dark Eye. Perhaps newer ones are better, but the old ones I was shown by friends who played DSA in the 90s and early 00s were horrendous. Mostly because they all seemed to work out the same way: bad guy shows up, he's super powerful, does something evil, the players can't stop him, they quest around for a bit, help an important NPC find an artefact of some kind, and the important NPC then kills the bad guy while the PCs watch. One literally features a long straight dungeon corridor that leads to the boss fight between the god NPC and the bad guy, with the instruction to prevent the PCs from leaving or taking any other way at all cost.