PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Plant Growth questions

lowericon
2020-06-16, 06:11 PM
I am specifically interested in the second use of Plant Growth, which says "If you cast this spell over 8 hours, you enrich the land. All plants in a half-mile radius centered on a point within range become enriched for 1 year. The plants yield twice the normal amount of food when harvested."

Does this spell only effect plants living in the ground for a full year?

If plants were in the area of effect when the spell was cast, but then got transplanted somewhere outside the area of effect, would those plants still be "enriched"?

What if the enriched land was put into pots and those pots were carried outside the half-mile radius of effect - would the soil still be enriched? Would plants in those pots be enriched? Could you plant new plants in the enriched soil and enrich those plants?

And what about plants that don't bear food? Do they sprout twice as many leaves or flowers? Grow twice as tall? Anything?

DeadMech
2020-06-16, 10:52 PM
Plant Growth is an instantaneous duration spell and my reading of it implies the target of the spell is the plants themselves and not the land. "This spell channels vitality into plants within a specific area." being the very first line of the spell description.

So I'd probably say that you can't plant a new crop and have them get the benefit. But if you wanted to move around the all ready affected plants I'd probably allow it.

Man_Over_Game
2020-06-17, 09:50 AM
I think the point is that "All plants around you are more bountiful". As long as the DM keeps an open mind and rewards the player for their investment, there's no wrong way to rule the spell.

Because unless there are some evidence that you can sell the plants for profit, it probably doesn't matter how powerful you make it as it'll still rarely get used.

Put another way, you can buff something to infinite as long as it's still a suboptimal choice.