PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Allowing oneself to be hit

NontheistCleric
2020-06-16, 07:00 PM
As the title says, is it possible to allow oneself to be automatically hit by an attack, or at least make it easier for the attack to hit?

Also, are there rules for attacking yourself? I know that there are some spells that cause the target to do so, but I'm talking about just doing it voluntarily.

Kelb_Panthera
2020-06-16, 07:13 PM
There's no explicit rule saying so but if you declare to your GM that you're deliberately choosing not to try to avoid attacks he should probably count you as flat-footed.

el minster
2020-06-16, 07:45 PM
you can use aid another on your opponent to help him hit you

Palanan
2020-06-16, 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera
There's no explicit rule saying so but if you declare to your GM that you're deliberately choosing not to try to avoid attacks he should probably count you as flat-footed.

This should also negate any Dex bonus to AC. Some GMs might even add your Dex bonus to the attacker's roll, assuming you're actively moving to intercept the strike.

el minster
2020-06-16, 09:06 PM
This should also negate any Dex bonus to AC. Some GMs might even add your Dex bonus to the attacker's roll, assuming you're actively moving to intercept the strike.

There is no rule that says you add you Dex bonus to the opponents roll just aid another

Buufreak
2020-06-16, 09:12 PM
There is no rule that says you add you Dex bonus to the opponents roll just aid another

That's where the "some DMs might" part comes in, sport.

Kelb_Panthera
2020-06-16, 09:30 PM

In fact, the rules for goat-ball include the option to apply your dex bonus as a penalty to your AC instead of its normal positive value for trying to catch the "ball" when a teammate rolls his ranged touch attack to pass it to you.

This is the precedent I'd cite if I was trying to sell the idea to the GM for getting hit deliberately to be easier. It also makes it easier for more coordinated characters to get themselves hit deliberately than less coordinated ones.

Edit: that's races of stone in the goliath chapter, btw.

tiercel
2020-06-16, 09:39 PM
Part of the question here might be “why?” Generally this kind of thing is a riposte-style build, using (especially) Robilar’s Gambit and/or Karmic Strike (see, e.g. Jack B. Quick (http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=6944.0)as exemplar of this style), or magically by using spells to lash out with retribution when attacked, or even indirectly like Shock Trooper dumping AC to gain damage (instead of losing attack bonus).

That there are feats that allow you to dump AC in order to gain some tactical advantage implies that it’s certainly possible to lower your AC, and if you wanted to do so for no particular obvious advantage then I suppose I don’t see why you couldn’t deliberately declare yourself flat-footed... or even helpless (cf. receiving touch spells from a friendly caster, though in general you probably want to be careful about declaring yourself helpless since Coup de Grace is a thing).

Thurbane
2020-06-16, 09:44 PM
If you were determined not to move or dodge the blow at all, the DM might treat you as having a Dex of 0 (-5 AC), same as if you were paralysed or helpless. Although if you were truly considered helpless, you would open yourself to a CDG.

As for attacking yourself, the Death Urge power may offer some insight on how to handle this:

If armed, the subject attacks itself as a full-round action. The attack automatically succeeds and deals damage as a critical hit.

Psyren
2020-06-16, 10:40 PM
I would let you choose to drop Dex and dodge bonuses at will, possibly shield too. Things like armor and deflection though would require dropping gear.

Natural and size wouldn't be removable.

Bucky
2020-06-17, 12:05 AM
By RAW, the standard attack action can only be used on opponents, various sources of bonus attacks like Cleave let you hit a "creature within reach" which includes yourself, and a full attack doesn't specify either way.

I would argue that the recipient of an attack can literally turn a blind eye and receive the attack as though they couldn't see it: no Dodge or Dex bonus, and an additional -2 Circumstance penalty to AC. By RAW, however, it's only obviously allowed when you have a readied action and something blindfold-like to drape over your eyes.

Gruftzwerg
2020-06-17, 04:39 AM
Imho your best bet is to use things that reduce your AC, like the Shock Trooper tactical feat. It allows you to trade AC instead of BAB for Power Attack.

In ToB there are also some maneuvers and stances that lower your AC. (or other mechanisms that let enemies make attack you more likely).

And if I recall correct, there should be AC reducing cursed items.

darkdragoon
2020-06-18, 05:03 PM
Mostly in the try to take a hit for an ally variety:

Maquar Crusader's "Harm's Way"

Faith Unswerving "Take One For the Team"