PDA

View Full Version : looking for ideas for a 8 years little girl illusionist wizard

Zhepna
2020-06-16, 08:40 PM
Looking for ideas to play a 8 years old little girl that is afraid of everything and is based on illusions. We'll be lvl 8 and I'll probably play wizard.

I wanted to animated small objects to have objects talking like in beauty and the beast but it's too high level. Is there low level summons that are objects? If you have ideas of fun illusions for a little girl, let me know.

What I thought for the moment:

-She'll have unseen servant as a imaginary friend and will not know she's the one casting the illusion.

-disguise self to change to a lot of costume

-illusions of butterfly and birds

-passwall, she sees a door made of candles on a wall, allowing to enter in the castle

-control weather, the weather is how she feels.... it's too high level but I'll try to find a way to cast it

-prestigitation to add cool effects in combat and paint everywhere

She just want to bring happiness in this cold, dark world.

Psyren
2020-06-16, 11:07 PM
Wouldn't sorcerer or witch fit this concept better? Even if you ignore the advanced starting age, D&D wizards tend to be difficult as children because there's a lot more intention/agency involved in their brand of magic.

Zhepna
2020-06-16, 11:45 PM
She'll be the child of my old character, another wizard so it'll explain why she has a wizard base but you are right, sorcerer fit the concept way better. I'll dig it. I always prefered wizard but for the concept, it's better.

For the moment, her spell book is a book for children with stories about princess, dragons and tales. It's the only thing she has left from her father and he drew it. She spends her time reading it again and again because she is lost without her parents in this world and it bring back happiness moments in her heart. Spells are hidden inside the drawing and the tales. She doesn't know it but she learn and study the spell while she read it.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-06-17, 12:14 AM
Maybe Beguiler instead, it gets mostly illusion and enchantment spells and doesn't involve studying a spellbook, but it's still Int-based. Plus you'll get tons of skills like hide and move silently.

Zanos
2020-06-17, 12:32 AM
I don't have any build advice but have you double checked this character concept with your DM? I've had few that would allow children characters at all(and they technically aren't rules legal).

Vizzerdrix
2020-06-17, 06:26 AM
I wanted to animated small objects to have objects talking like in beauty and the beast but it's too high level. Is there low level summons that are objects? If you have ideas of fun illusions for a little girl, let me know.

Savage Species has the spell Minor Servator. Does exactly what you want.

May want to grab baleful polymorph. Because I bet bad people would be happier as bunnies.

Palanan
2020-06-17, 08:02 AM
Originally Posted by Vizzerdrix
May want to grab baleful polymorph. Because I bet bad people would be happier as bunnies.

And maybe a summoning spell for a wolf to eat the bunnies, because I can see an eight-year-old in a bad mood doing that.

Curelomosaurus
2020-06-17, 01:50 PM
If you want to give her even more animal friends for a more Disney-esque feel, the Dragon magazine feat Extra Familiar could be helpful. I don't have the exact text, but it... literally just gives you another familiar, so it''s pretty simple. I advise putting cross-class ranks in Diplomacy (she's so cute, everyone likes her!). If you need stats for a child, you could refluff a halfling, or just use the Child Soldier homebrew trait from the D&D Wiki:

The character must be under the starting age for their race. Characters with this trait over the age or under the effects of age altering spells, lose the trait.
Benefit: +2 to all Cha and Dex skill checks except Intimidate. Allows characters who are not adults to be able to move, act and cast as if they were adults. Characters that take this feat are treated as one size category smaller in size until they grow to the minimum starting age for their race.
Drawback: -2 to all Str and Wis skill checks as well as -4 to Intimidate. Adults will not take your character seriously until you've proven you are a forced to be reckoned with.

Toliudar
2020-06-17, 03:10 PM
Speaking as someone with an eight year old daughter who spends hours riffing on exactly these kinds of themes:

The Spell Thematics feat is custom made for this. Even the non-illusion spells start to look and feel like fireworks displays at Disneyworld. Dancing lights become fireflies. Every burst spell starts to look like glitter dust.
Hat of disguise is great even for an illusionist, because it's all day and infinitely change-able. Which princess would she like to be NOW?
So many of her ideas and plans can be expressed through song. Disney Karaoke party!
The familiar doesn't need to be fluffy, but must have large eyes and a small mouth.
If you ban enchantment (I would), then Voice of the Dragon is a transmutation spell that will give her tantrum level histrionic capability, and lots of persuasion options.

Palanan
2020-06-17, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by Toliudar
The familiar doesn't need to be fluffy, but must have large eyes and a small mouth.

For instance, like so:

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/tangled/images/0/0b/Pascal.png/revision/latest?cb=20150808153409

Although the mouth is a little large here. Also the tongue.

Kalkra
2020-06-17, 05:05 PM
Or you could have a hummingbird familiar for that Cinderella feel.

Zhepna
2020-06-18, 06:57 AM
Thanks to everybody for the awesome ideas.

I tried to find spells or a way to change the weather near my little character to change it according to how she feel (sun if she is happy, raining if she is crying, etc). It could be only on her case.

I found nothing enough flexible then I thought: If I cast a illusion on the cases I'm on and chose to fail the save, does my illusion become real for her? It could be a little cloud over her head like Olaf in the Frozen comic. Basically, the concept is that she'll not know that she is the one casting the illusions spells.

If it works, I was trying to see how to maintain it all day long. With silent image, the character has to maintain concentration. For others illusions spells the duration is often minutes/per instead to be permanent but if there's no other options, it could be that.

Outside of illusions spells, what I found was spells like prestidigitation, obscuring mist, fog cloud, sleet storm and maybe Magic aura even if I did not found how to use it for the moment.

Curelomosaurus
2020-06-19, 05:09 PM
Prestidigitqation can create "harmless sensory effects" within 10 feet and change the temperature, so that would probably be plenty. If you want a larger area, I believe Extend Spell works just fine on Prestidigitation, or you could work with your DM to create a custom magic item.

Calthropstu
2020-06-20, 12:23 PM
Obviously, you have never met an 8 year old girl.

Having watched 8 year old girls play pathfinder, and having watched numerous 8 year old girls on occasion and having an 8 year old daughter, an 8 year old girl as an 8th level wizard would be a pure disaster.

I don't care how much of a prodigy she could be. Girls that age are concerned with a few things. Yes, they would "attempt to do good" with their powers when they could (assuming someone was guiding them on such a path) but just as often they would cause mischief.

An illusionary wolf in the center of town to scare all the horses. Give all the horses unicorn horn illusions. Randomly fly around the center of town and occasionally spooking people. And not to mention the amount of candy they would buy. She would also be easily manipulated by people trying to approach her as "friends" or "fans of her work."

If you seriously plan to play this char as an 8 year old, pranks, candy based altruism and naivete would be the rule of thumb.

Ruethgar
2020-06-21, 03:00 PM
The GitP spell, Soothe the Thirsty Soil is a low level Control Weather. Sorcerers can learn it through their ‘familiar spells’ clause.

If outright homebrew is a no go, Spell Side Effects can be hand picked, my favorite one happens to be summoning rain for a round. Throw it on Prestidigitation or a different long term on use spell and it could be going on quite frequently. Also has Gust of Windstorm and Lightning Bolt but I tend to avoid those myself.

Homebrew side effects for Pathfidner’s Breeze cantrip and the original Thunderhead(1 ele dmg/round Ref negates) could make ok storms I guess.

https://web.archive.org/web/20170815034614/https://www.giantitp.com/articles/gk7uKJeF296jRcx1NJw.html

Zhepna
2020-07-25, 07:35 PM
Thanks for your answers.

In which book is Soothe the Thirsty Soil ? I find nothing when I google it.

I also find nothing for Spell Side Effects. Is it a feat?

Palanan
2020-07-25, 10:32 PM
Soothe the Thirsty Soil is a gleaner spell, a homebrew class that Rich posted years ago on this very site.

It's since been lost, for reasons I couldn't say, but Ruethgar posted the URL of the archived page, now available as an elegant and finely crafted link (https://web.archive.org/web/20170815034614/https://www.giantitp.com/articles/gk7uKJeF296jRcx1NJw.html).