PDA

View Full Version : Ghostly Visage - Familiar - Meld (Su) ability and Incorporeal touch attack???

Delta_tea
2020-06-17, 02:35 AM
I'm debating using this Undead Incorporeal, Sybmbiont as my familiar. However, I can't figure out what happens if the Ghostly Visage wins the Meld save.

Meld (Su): Once per round, a ghostly visage can merge its body with a corporeal creature. If it makes a successful incorporeal touch attack, the ghostly visage's body disappears into the opponent's body. The target can resist the attack with a successful Will save (DC 13). A creature that successfully saves is immune to that ghostly visage's meld for one day. - Fiend Folio page 222.

So if it fails, nothing happens and the Ghostly Visage is done for a day. But if it wins, its inside the opponent's body, but then what???

I'm guessing its like the Ghost ability Malevolence:

Malevolence (Su)
Once per round, an ethereal ghost can merge its body with a creature on the Material Plane. This ability is similar to a magic jar spell (caster level 10th or the ghost’s Hit Dice, whichever is higher), except that it does not require a receptacle. To use this ability, the ghost must be manifested and it must try move into the target’s space; moving into the target’s space to use the malevolence ability does not provoke attacks of opportunity. The target can resist the attack with a successful Will save (DC 15 + ghost’s Cha modifier). A creature that successfully saves is immune to that same ghost’s malevolence for 24 hours, and the ghost cannot enter the target’s space. If the save fails, the ghost vanishes into the target’s body.

So really, that's a fancy way to say that if the Ghostly Visage wins, it now controls that body for up to 1 hour/level? Or in this case 1 hour/HD since HD is set by my character level. Also, does the DC 13 change as I continue leveling up? I can't figure out which template they used for this monster.

Second topic is the Incorporeal touch attack. It's clearly shown to have a +4 melee. Is it just missing the 1d6 damage? OR is that meant to be part of Meld?
Step 1: Roll an Incorporeal touch attack, ignore target's armor only deflection bonus counts.
Step 2: Bad guy does a Will save, needs to meet or beat DC 13.
Step 3: Monster loses control and Ghostly Visage is driving for several hours...
Step 4: Ghostly Visage has the monster lay down for a Coup de Grace ending combat.

Thanks for the help!

https://i.imgur.com/93AWeyT.jpg

Segev
2020-06-17, 10:48 AM
In general, if it's your familiar, you'll just let it merge with you so you and it can use it as a mask and for its horrifying visage abilities.

If you have it meld with somebody else, what it can do is just replace his face with its own shapeshifting appearance, and terrify people around him. It's a sort of unliving curse that makes its victim hideous, terrifying, and may or may not be able to talk over him.

Curelomosaurus
2020-06-17, 01:43 PM
This may not be helpful, but Heroes of Horror has rules for possession by undead, which might apply.