View Full Version : Pathfinder Second edition stories

Tanuki Tales
2020-06-17, 04:06 PM
I myself haven't gotten a chance to play, so I'm curious to hear the good and bad experiences that people have had with the new edition thus far.

Eldonauran
2020-06-17, 11:11 PM
There are many aspects of the game that I like and have implemented in my houserules for PF1. Most of them, however, were just from the Unchained Book and was the launching point for starfinder/PF2 systems. Those things were the three action economy (though I retained swift actions, altered cantrips, and turned AoO's/immediate actions into reactions).

As for playing PF2, it has not yet grown on me as a preferred system to play but it is fun. I won't be switching to it as my main game system to play, well ... EVER, but it may see more play the more sources and customizability increase in the material.

Krowmeat
2020-06-18, 09:29 PM
My social circle recently adopted it, personally I like it a lot more than first edition. There's a lot less to keep track of when making sheets- Skills and actions have been clumped together to save on space and bookkeeping time and the proficiency system I feel strikes a good balance between customization and ease of use. Although I will say, having to erase all your bonuses on a physical character sheet and rewrite the same number but 1 higher every level gets a bit tiring.

Spell casters got a nerf in the fact that bonus spells from having higher spell casting scores isn't a thing anymore. Again this feels a lot cleaner to me, and it helps give mundane classes more of an edge.

In play, there's a couple of changes from PF1 that I really like - CMD and CMB are gone, and instead to perform certain actions in combat you make skill checks or attack rolls against DCs set by the defendant's saves. Of course the three action economy is great and lets you get more versatile with what you do in a round.

The lack of content compared to 1e might be an issue to some though. There's some pretty interesting enemies, spells, and items already released that were enough to compensate for the lack of breadth for me but you do miss out on some stuff on the bridge over. Porting over races one of the bigger focuses for character creation from what I've seen, is much harder, too. Gotta make feats and subraces n' stuff.