PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Good magic items for alchemist

SanFlash
2020-06-17, 04:37 PM
Hi all. These days I'm planning an artificer alchemist character. I understand that is a support-utility pg, but the Treantmonk video about the archetipe, which defines it as a subpar option with really bad combat, was a bummer for me.

Don't worry, I'm still hyped for the character, and, as I said before, I understand is support prerogative. Still, I'm a bit worried about those moment when fighting and dealing damage, or maybe throw some cc, is paramount.

I think a good magic item could easily provide for the archetipe weaknesses. I'm wrong? On what items should I focus on? I'm not talking the ones the artificer makes, because it seems they are not enough effective in this sense. I would prefer cc over damage ones.

nickl_2000
2020-06-17, 07:12 PM
Multiple Wands of Magic Missiles would be an amazing addition to any character, but in particular this one. It doesn't have attunement requirement and doesn't restrict to classes.

Dork_Forge
2020-06-17, 07:23 PM
How are they terrible at combat? They get damaging cantrips and at 5th level can add their Int mod to the damage of said cantrips (as well as the damage leveled spells they get), 2d10+4 at will from Firebolt is pretty good especially when you can pair that with bonus action Heat Metal damage or you're concentrating on a Web spell. They don't deal the most damage out of all of the subclasses, but they deal respectable damage considering their main focus is on buffing/healing.

Edit: to answer your actual question a wand of magic missiles is a great suggestion as is any wand of a damage based spell.

Throne12
2020-06-17, 10:29 PM
I know hes on here and I seen and posted in his forms. This is why I dont like Treeant monk and his builds talk. The ranking these people do is just Ridiculous and rarely reflect what happens in actual play. I've played a artificer alchemist is was the UA one right before the book. I loved playing it and I wasnt lacking on damage in combat.

HPisBS
2020-06-18, 01:18 AM
Wand of Wonder has some interesting control applications. It could even make for a decent plot-hook as your artificer endeavors to try to figure out how to gain some control over its functions.

Garfunion
2020-06-18, 02:05 AM
Alchemy Jug; with this you can make 2 vials worth of acid a day. Combine this with the catapult spell.