PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Looking for a most Obscure spell

Jowgen
2020-06-17, 04:53 PM
I usually pride myself on being quite well versed in the more obscure things in this game, but in this instance I have embarrasingly lost something.

There exists a Spell that I once came across. Small chance it was a magic item, but 90% sure that it was a spell.

The function of this spell was that it allowed a creature to disregard effects blocking planar travel, such as forbiddance or Dimensional Anchor. Not 100% sure if it was for entering, only leaving, or both purposes.

I THOUGHT the spell was listed in one of the articles related to the Gith Incursion adventure from Dungeon Magazine, but my check turned up nothing.

I vaguley recall it being called something akin to "Freedom of Teleportation", or "Planar Freedom", something of the sort that made it echo a core spell.

If any of you would happen to know where I've misplaced this wee gem, I'd be ever so greatful. :smallbiggrin:

Thurbane
2020-06-17, 08:09 PM
I've done a pretty thorough search of spells using my normal reference points, and I can't find any spell along those lines either.

Maybe it was an item after all?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-06-17, 08:46 PM
Bracers of Exit, A&EG p130, negate one Dimensional Anchor effect per day.

Kelb_Panthera
2020-06-17, 08:50 PM
I dug hard into the Dragondex and I couldn't find it as a spell or item, my dude. If it was in a WotC hardcover it'd certainly be known, given the concept of scry-and-die.

You sure it was a thing?

EDIT:

See. *facepalm*

Thurbane
2020-06-17, 09:27 PM

There really are some hidden gems in that book that didn't get a re-print!

Jowgen
2020-07-04, 05:59 PM
I have found it. It was indeed in Dungeon 100, albeit in the Polyhedron 159 portion (specifically page 12) that the copy I was working with didn't have included.

Freedom of Passage
Abjuration
Sor/Wiz 8
V,S,F
1 Standard Action
Personal or Touch
You or creature touched
10 minutes/level
Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

As freedom of movement, but this spell also enables you or the creature you touch to pass through dimensional barriers, includin gthose created by spells such as forbiddance and dimensional lock, assuming that you possess some means of dimensional travel that would otherwise be blocked by the barrier. The freedom of passage spell also allows you to move freely despite a dimensional anchor spell cast on you.
Focus: A githyanki silver sword

Thought I'd share it for everyone's reference.

ExLibrisMortis
2020-07-04, 06:02 PM
That is one hell of a spell. Thanks for digging it up :smallbiggrin:.

noob
2020-07-06, 04:56 AM
You need a githyanki silver sword which is kind of rare since nobody know how to craft them outside of githyanki.

Mike Miller
2020-07-06, 07:46 AM
You need a githyanki silver sword which is kind of rare since nobody know how to craft them outside of githyanki.

Heh, I wanted to point that out too. That is one hell of a Focus. Great spell though

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-07-06, 08:29 AM
You need a githyanki silver sword which is kind of rare since nobody know how to craft them outside of githyanki.Happily, +5 vorpal githyanki silver swords are minor artifacts and do not have a cost, and since they're a focus for a spell (I reiterate, without a gp cost), you can find one in any (I believe) Huge or larger spell component pouch.

Jowgen
2020-07-06, 10:51 AM
I probably should have mentioned that the same article, on p. 31, clarifies "Silver Sword" as a +4 weapon Special Ability requiring CL11, Craft Magic Arms and Armor, and being Githyanki race to craft. From the description, can be applied to any bladed weapon. "Weapons with this property can be made with any enhancement bonus and other properties"

It also explicitly corrects the MM in that the +5 Vorpal Silver Sword therein is actually NOT a minor artifact, but an Epic weapon with a market price of exactly 3,920,350 gp. They're from pre-lich queen times and only handed down to the greatest Gith heroes. +3 greatword Silver Sword is are the standard, with +3 Unholy Silver Swords with a price of 162,350 gp being the next most common.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-07-06, 02:48 PM
I probably should have mentioned that the same article, on p. 31, clarifies "Silver Sword" as a +4 weapon Special Ability requiring CL11, Craft Magic Arms and Armor, and being Githyanki race to craft. From the description, can be applied to any bladed weapon. "Weapons with this property can be made with any enhancement bonus and other properties"

It also explicitly corrects the MM in that the +5 Vorpal Silver Sword therein is actually NOT a minor artifact, but an Epic weapon with a market price of exactly 3,920,350 gp. They're from pre-lich queen times and only handed down to the greatest Gith heroes. +3 greatword Silver Sword is are the standard, with +3 Unholy Silver Swords with a price of 162,350 gp being the next most common.That article is not official and is countermanded by this article here (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/dnd_bgh_004.asp), which is.

Silver swords with an enhancement bonus of +5 and vorpal characteristics exist, but these are minor artifacts, relatively few, and only handed down to heroes of the race.

No cost is mentioned for it there, in the XPH, or the MMI.

Jowgen
2020-07-06, 04:09 PM
That article is not official and is countermanded by this article here (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/dnd_bgh_004.asp), which is.

The article in question is a preview/excerpt from Psionics Handbook, released March 2001.

Polyhedron became part of Dungeon magazine starting issue 149, and issue 159 was part of Dungeon 100, released July 2003. The whole Gith Invasion arc had parts of it split across this and the concurrent Dragon mag.

So the article is as official as any 2003 dragon/dungeon mag article, which one is of course free to deem non-first party and thus inadmissible based on where you draw the whole licenscing line, but in that case... you wouldn't have the spell either, so the point would be moot.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-07-06, 04:13 PM
The article in preview/excerpt from Psionics Handbook, released March 2001.

Polyhedron became part of Dungeon magazine starting issue 149, and issue 159 was part of Dungeon 100, released July 2003. The whole Gith Invasion arc had parts of it split across this and the concurrent Dragon mag.

So the article is as official as any 2003 dragon/dungeon mag article, which one is of course free to deem non-first party and thus inadmissible based on where you draw the whole licenscing line, but in that case... you wouldn't have the spell either, so the point would be moot.I guess that's fair, although if that article is NOT admissible, you can get infinite silver swords for 5 gp (for the spell component pouch) due to Apocalypse from the Sky. So you're trading infinite silver swords (for 5 gp) in exchange for that spell.

Jowgen
2020-07-06, 04:25 PM
I guess that's fair, although if that article is NOT admissible, you can get infinite silver swords for 5 gp (for the spell component pouch) due to Apocalypse from the Sky. So you're trading infinite silver swords (for 5 gp) in exchange for that spell.

Different point, if one were to stick closely to stuff, all the feats and spells from that article are meant to be Gith specialities and getting them is supposed to be very much special DM-approval gated. The whole Silver Sword focus part is very much part of that.

Now if we can't get the focus handwaved or included per her minor artificat raw clause applying by Primary Source beating out Latest Publication in priority, it's not like there aren't other ways to get the thing for cheap.

Ammunition Enchanting abuse might work. And/or general crafting cost reduction by an awakened Skeleton Midgard Dwarf could do, especially since we don't intend to use the thing for anything other than being a focus, so one could safely use Blood Artisan stacked with Magical and Exceptional Artisan. And those are just off the top of my head.

icefractal
2020-07-07, 03:55 PM
I think if you accept the source as far as the spell existing, you'd have to accept the definition of Silver Sword which that very article uses - ie. it's a non-artifact magic weapon that the Gith are unlikely to sell. However, by 15th level, if you can't manage to acquire one anyway you aren't even trying.

Also, I really don't think you'd want to use the "spell component pouches include every artifact" interpretation, because that means they include a Sphere of Annihilation and you die when you reach in to take something.