PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Swordmind (a Soulknife/Tome of Battle PRC)

Elves
2020-06-17, 05:26 PM
I like the idea of this class because it gives a crappy class (soulknife) something fun. However, the Echo of History effects are phoned in and may not be well balanced.

Swordmind (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Vi6BmwDp8G064_kFK4f6OV7yduUIkvDM/view?usp=sharing) (Google Docs)

PEACH.

Primal Fury
2020-06-18, 10:19 PM
I really like this class. Omnislash is friggin' sick. But why doesn't it require any disciplines? It's a bit strange that a class can opt into something without having a prior connect to the mechanic, like a Fighter becoming an Eldritch Knight without the ability to cast spells.

Elves
2020-06-18, 10:29 PM
If you don't have martial adept levels you won't have a refresh mechanism so the incentive is there -- no need for a hard requirement.

The custom maneuver is there to give a scaling benefit in addition to the linear benefit of extra swords.

Primal Fury
2020-06-18, 10:52 PM
I guess that makes sense. For some reason I didn't realize that. I always thought that knowing maneuvers would just grant you the ability to refresh them. Guess not though.

...Ah hell, I'll just say it. It'd be super sick if this was a base class. Given how little is required, and how... well... bad the soulknife is, this would feel a bit better as a base class. You don't even need a whole lot of class features, as you're leveling up nine (maybe more) different powerful magic weapons. Not only that, but this could easily go epic as, depending on whether you plan to give the other eight blades the same treatment you gave Umbral Awn. What's up with that anyway?

Elves
2020-06-18, 11:33 PM
Wouldn't really work considering legacy abilities only start at 5th level.

What's up with that anyway?
Doing it for all would be tedious IMO. Might for Kamate. With that sword, haven't decided whether to remove lightning theme or not (want to reduce IH storm theme since we have Oncoming Storm and Lighting Fox).

--

Reshar needs to be simplified. Automatic 1 per turn would in itself be a big enough ask given how short 3e combat is.

Primal Fury
2020-06-19, 12:03 AM
I wouldn't really consider that an issue. Those first four levels would just be... what... getting a new sword every other level (so two by level four), plus additional stances and maneuvers would make it feel like any other initiator. A little light on the class features to be sure, but I'd be down for waiting a bit for the cool stuff. But that's just me.

Elves
2020-08-12, 12:36 AM
While I finish other content for the project, bumping this to see if anyone has more thoughts...

JoshuaZ
2020-08-23, 01:24 PM
I overall like it. My reactions: Hero’s Memorial is a bit weak. Maybe instead make it a move action?

For Echoes of Reshar, a bit more wording is probably needed. I'm not really clear on how the ability functions.