PDA

View Full Version : Most optimal (while still thematic) use of Sculpt Self / Prestige Races?

Gavinfoxx
2020-06-17, 08:47 PM
This feat seems craaazzyyy powerful. What are some of the best uses of it? It seems like it can get you access to any psionic power, spell, or maneuver, and it completely obsoletes (for the purposes of making it for yourself) most grafts, wondrous items, psionic tattoos, etc.

Still, as a GM, it does seem to be an interesting way to give weird wondrous items to the party. But what are some things that could be considered the 'best value' for this? What are some spells you'd typically want to only cast a small number of times a day, but would want to cast most every day? What would you call this to keep it with some kind of cohesive theme? I think someone needs to perhaps do a handbook on the best bang/buck choices for Sculpt Self! As well as possible houserules to bring this feat under some level of control! Perhaps give it the same requirement to make as a universal or wondrous item it so resembles?

Maybe there's a good way to get interesting parts of the 'list of necessary magic items' page?

Does anyone have a link to a build where (say) a Monk uses this to reach theoretical optimization type heights? I vaguely remember someone doing that on this board somewhere!

Vizzerdrix
2020-06-18, 11:57 AM
For what it is worth, I too would like to see some discussion on this feat. I'm not sure how so much power is being wrung out of it.:smallconfused:

Kalkra
2020-06-18, 12:31 PM
As I mentioned in the other thread, you can get at-will Color Spray for 720 xp. This will almost double the time you spend at level 1, (if you choose to get it then) but if you're playing a monk it'll probably increase your effectiveness by a huge amount. You can also get Grease, Cause Fear, Sleep, Entangle, or any other spells that are good at low levels.

Also, consult with your DM about spell list cheese, a la Artificer.

At higher levels, as I also mentioned in the other thread, you can embrace the cheese and get 1/day Restoration or Greater Restoration and never worry about xp again.

Also, Sculpt Self combos well with Vow of Poverty, which also helps with the monk-ish feel. If you want to be in close combat, you can spend 1,600 xp for a permanent buff with a duration in minutes, like Divine Favor, Shield of Faith, or Shield. If you want, you can get permanent Aspect of the Wolf for 1,200 xp, or Mage Armor for 800 xp.

At higher levels, you can get at-will Wings of Cover for 4,320 xp, unless your DM lets you get it use-activated whenever you're attacked for 4,800 xp.

All of that aside, what makes me giggle the most is permanent Consume the Parasite from Dragon #343. +4 Str and Dex, +2 CL, and +2 DC to your spells. What makes me giggle is that if you're Sculpting it, you can avoid the requirements of having a parasite to consume.

I don't know if any of these are optimal, but they're fun.

Vizzerdrix
2020-06-20, 03:57 PM
I feel that a handbook about this feat would be a rather interesting read.

Kalkra
2020-06-21, 11:34 AM
I'll also point out that according to the A&EG pricing guidelines, you can Sculpt a feat for 4,000 xp.

Troacctid
2020-06-21, 02:09 PM
Creation of new prestige race alterations is entirely at the discretion of the DM, and the printed ones are pretty so-so, which makes the feat extremely campaign- and DM-dependent. However, even with only the printed options, you can grab the ones you want, retrain Sculpt Self afterwards, and still keep the prestige race abilities, which is nice, at least.