PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Can you use an eternal wand in a wand chamber?

Biggus
2020-06-18, 01:51 PM
...as it's technically a wondrous item rather than a wand I'm not sure, and I can't seem to find a definite answer anywhere. Does anyone know?

Gruftzwerg
2020-06-18, 02:14 PM
...as it's technically a wondrous item rather than a wand I'm not sure, and I can't seem to find a definite answer anywhere. Does anyone know?

It's still considered a regular wand too:

An eternal wand holds a single arcane spell of 3rd level or lower, determined during creation. Any character who can cast arcane spells can activate the wand to use the spell contained in it, regard less of whether the spell appears on his class spell list.

Thurbane
2020-06-18, 04:22 PM
I would check with the DM just to be safe.

Eternal Wands are a little weird that way.

FWIW, I would rule yes in my game.

torrasque666
2020-06-18, 05:12 PM
It's still considered a regular wand too:
That might just be a case of using the items name in its own description, rather than denoting what kind of item class it is.

Biggus
2020-06-18, 08:35 PM
I would check with the DM just to be safe.

Eternal Wands are a little weird that way.

FWIW, I would rule yes in my game.

I am the DM. Like you I'm inclined to allow it, but I wanted to check if there are any rules which would give a definite yes or no.

Kelb_Panthera
2020-06-18, 10:39 PM
If you're looking for something that says an eternal wand is not a "wand" then you're not gonna find it. This one's pure judgement call. Unless the thing referencing a wand also references charges, I'd let it work with an eternal wand.

JNAProductions
2020-06-18, 10:46 PM
Will letting it be used in a chamber make the game more fun? If yes, then let it happen.
Will doing that cause one PC to significantly overshadow someone else, trivialize many challenges, or otherwise make the game less fun? If yes, then DON'T let it happen.

For what it's worth, I as a player would like using Eternal Wands more than regular ones, since I don't like wasting limited items. So it'd encourage me to use more nifty effects. In other words, as a PC, I'd like you to rule yes.

Cruiser1
2020-06-19, 01:58 PM
I'd rule that Eternal Wands are wands. They require the Craft Wand feat to make. The descriptive fluff calls such items a "long, tapered wand" and "a new form of wand". The only difference is they have just 2 charges that recharge each day. (In that respect they're similar to a Pathfinder staff vs. a 3.5 staff, with fewer charges but a way to restore them.) Eternal Wands also behave like spell trigger items (just like standard wands) even if the text for them doesn't actually say "spell trigger" anywhere.

Dimers
2020-06-19, 01:59 PM
as it's technically a wondrous item rather than a wand I'm not sure

The flavortext calls it a wand and indicates it'd fit in a space made for a wand. Craft Wand is a prerequisite for making it. Looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it's a duck. Kelb_Panthera has the best answer, though -- negative proof doesn't exist.

Asmotherion
2020-06-19, 05:53 PM
eternal wand as in "the item that recovers charges daily"? Yes, it is refeared as a wand, and thus subject to all wand rules.

Unlimited Charges wand made by "creating magic items" rules? Nope, even if it is shaped as a wand, it is technically a wonderous item, not a wand.

Biggus
2020-06-19, 07:03 PM
The fact they're called a wand doesn't mean they follow the same rules as other wands.

Normal wands are spell trigger activation, eternal wands are command word.

Normal wands require only the Craft Wand feat to make, eternal wands require that and Craft Wondrous Item.

Normal wands can only be used by someone who has the spell on their spell list (or UMD), eternal wands can be used by anyone who can cast arcane spells.

Normal wands can be created for arcane or divine spells, eternal wands only for arcane.

I wondered if it clarified anywhere whether they count as wands for other purposes, such as being used in wand chambers, but it appears not.

Thurbane
2020-06-19, 07:17 PM
I wondered if it clarified anywhere whether they count as wands for other purposes, such as being used in wand chambers, but it appears not.

The only reference to Eternal Wands in the official FAQ is a question about an Eternal Wand of Cure lights wounds (which can exist, because Bards).

They originally appeared in the Eberron Campaign Setting (p.265). The fluff describes it as a "new form of wand".

In this article (http://keith-baker.com/dragonmarks-magewrights/) by Keith Baker (the Eberron creator, IIRC), refers to Eternal Wands as a type of Wand in general usage.

Biggus
2020-06-19, 07:41 PM
The only reference to Eternal Wands in the official FAQ is a question about an Eternal Wand of Cure lights wounds (which can exist, because Bards).

They originally appeared in the Eberron Campaign Setting (p.265). The fluff describes it as a "new form of wand".

In this article (http://keith-baker.com/dragonmarks-magewrights/) by Keith Baker (the Eberron creator, IIRC), refers to Eternal Wands as a type of Wand in general usage.

Thank you, I think that's probably as close to an answer as I'm going to get.