PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Alternate magic system - Somatic, material and verbal

RedFred
2020-06-18, 04:17 PM
Hello everyone. I have an idea for how to handle the three spell components for a setting i'm writing. The idea is magic, primarily, directed by will and focus (think Dresden Files for those who have read it). Verbal and somatic components help concentrate the mind (similar to katas in martial arts) but don't have any actual intrinsic power to them. Material components help direct magic as transistor/resistors (wood is a conductor, hence staves and wands, gold, silver and iron are resistors so many staves will have a metal "core"). To simulate this, as spell for wizards/sorcers/warlocks can cast a spell without verbal or somatic components from level one, the catch is forgoing one such component results in the spell being cast at disadvantage, forgoing both components results in disadvantage and having to expend a spell slot one level higher with no benefit. The idea is to mirror the additional cost in terms of power and concentration to spell-casting without the mental aides of verbal/somatic components. It's not meant to be something the usual character would fall back on, but instead a way for a spell caster who's hands are tied behind their back or gagged to still contribute, without making them overpowered. I would likely throw in a feat or two to mitigate if not completely remove the cost.

Thoughts?

werescythe
2020-06-20, 12:38 PM
Well, since this is for spellcaster's that have learned to harness their magic, I don't think just having it be available off the bat would be a good idea. I would suggest having the feat(s) have a level requirement, like this.

Requirements: Must have the ability to cast a spell and must be level 8 or higher.

You could have it be one single feat that perhaps gives you the option to pick one of the components that your character has learned to be able to bypass. Though some might consider the idea of bypassing material components to be broken, so here is my solution.

Enhanced Mind
Requirements: Must have the ability to cast a spell and must be level 8 or higher.
Upon taking this feat, you may pick one of the following spell components, when cast spells you no longer need to use these components when casting.

Verbal
Somatic
Material (can't be chosen unless you are 16th level or higher)

Upon taking this feat, you can't take it again until you have reached 16th level or higher, after which you can pick one more component to remove from your spell casting.

This way, you don't remove component costs entirely (outside of perhaps using Subtle metamagic as a Sorcerer) and the removal of a Material cost doesn't break the game either.

But that's just my idea. :smallsmile:

RedFred
2020-06-25, 07:27 AM
Forgive me, do you mean the feat to mitigate the cost of component free casting OR having component free casting only available through a feat?