PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Pathfinder 2E: Mitflit Homebrew Race

Krowmeat
2020-06-19, 12:19 AM
Mitflit Homebrew Ancestry (Wonderful Little Gremmins) (https://drive.google.com/file/d/13G6zi7OcqdvQlY8uTE5QPRoL02odGxjz/view?usp=sharing)

If you aren't too familiar with them, Mitflit are a subgroup of gremlin that showed up in 1st edition under the name Mites. They had a pretty grisly design in that edition, although I still found myself endeared to them, mostly for their Vermin Empathy which had the potential for a lot of weird combinations. Second addition brought them back with a new name and revamped, less lumpy appearance. Most baffling of all, however, Paizo decided to saddle their 2E entry with an inferiority complex so strong it bled into their stat block. Of course, seeing these little pimply sacks of self-loathing and vindictive rage I immediately fell deeply in love with them, and set to work on making a homebrewed race to give them the limelight I thought they needed.

There's two great ways to play Mitflit, at least as far as I've thought up: Either as petty, easily angered little dweebs constantly declaring blood feuds against like, a seagull that looked at them funny or something, or as a more nerdy hermit type that plays up their more off-putting and insecure qualities to make them seem like the type of dweeb that's just begging to be bullied.

Of course in both cases the Mite's Vermin Empathy ability takes center-stage in how you'd likely want to play them- it's their most powerful asset in their stat block and offers opportunities for role-playing of a caliber arguably higher than Gnome's animal empathy ability just because of the omnipresence of insects. I tried to play that up in the ancestry entry. Mitflit are known for their ability to tame vermin for use as mounts so of course there's a couple feats such as Dirt Cowboy that let them use insects as mounts for swimming and burrowing, and Animal Companions for them to be used with. There's also a lot of weird stuff ripped directly from the mitflit stat block, such as the Scuttler feat that gives them a climbing speed and the Smelly heritage that gives them an imprecise scent.

The main reason I posted this here is to get a critique of the entry. I tried to model my feats off of ones in the PHB, but of course being modified for flavour they might have veered off somewhere and gotten too powerful or too weak. Of course, being an underdog race in it's very concept I'm not too concerned about it being weaker than what the typical race "should" be, but I wanted every part of the race to be enticing so if something's so bad or glaringly worthless that nobody would choose it in any circumstance I'd still like to hear.

There's some fundamental things that I might still need to add to really flesh out the race- Namely, options for Mitflit builds not based on animal companion classes in the form of feats or archetypes and extra weapons for their weapon specialization.

TL;DR just look at the file and tell me what you think (https://drive.google.com/file/d/13G6zi7OcqdvQlY8uTE5QPRoL02odGxjz/view?usp=sharing)