PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Hero III

RTGoodman
2007-10-28, 03:35 AM
So, I just finished beating Guitar Hero III (on medium difficulty, just so I can have all the songs unlocked for starting on expert mode tomorrow), and I really enjoyed it. The audio and graphics are a lot better than in some of the older versions, and all the new customization options are pretty cool. I don't, however, like the "Battle Mode" or whatever it's called - I'd rather just play through songs than have to use the new attack things and stuff.

What do you guys think?

Dragor
2007-10-28, 03:55 AM
I've been thinking about getting Guitar Hero- should I get this one or one of its predecessors for cheaper? Although, its come out on Wii, so I'll be able to get it (as far as I know, didn't come out for GameCube).

Gaelbert
2007-10-28, 11:29 AM
I don't have any of the Guitar Heros, but I've played them before, and if I get a Wii I'll probably get Guitar Hero 3. It has at least one Dragonforce song in it! I watched a video on YouTube of someone playing Through Fire and Flames song, and it was amazing.

J_Muller
2007-10-28, 02:44 PM
I'll probably pick it up when it comes out for PC. It looks like it'll have some great songs on there.

Mc. Lovin'
2007-10-28, 04:46 PM
I'll probably pick it up when it comes out for PC. It looks like it'll have some great songs on there.

Yeah, I cant wait for this game too, it looked really fun when I played it on my freinds PS2 (although that was II)

banjo1985
2007-10-29, 05:45 AM
I'm itching to get this, but at the moment I can't justify the outlay of £100 plus for the two guitars and game it would take for me and my girlfriend to play.

Does anyone know what the online capabilities of it are on the 360? As in whether you can play against someone online or just post videos, high scores etc?

TSGames
2007-10-29, 10:18 AM
Here (http://www.guitarherosoundtracks.com/) is a list of songs in the game, in case anyone isn't sold on it already.

A Rainy Knight
2007-10-29, 03:03 PM
I just got it yesterday. Compared to GHII, the graphics are awesome, especially the other members of the band. For once, the singers actually look like they're singing the song!

My advice: If you enjoyed Guitar Hero II, get this game. If you didn't like Guitar Hero II, this one won't be much better for you.

RTGoodman
2007-10-29, 05:35 PM
I've been thinking about getting Guitar Hero- should I get this one or one of its predecessors for cheaper? Although, its come out on Wii, so I'll be able to get it (as far as I know, didn't come out for GameCube).

If you're looking for cheaper, go for Guitar Hero II (unless you're definitely getting it for the Wii, since only the 3rd one is for the Wii, I think). The guitar from GH2 will also work for GH3, as far as I know, so you'd be able to get it for a little cheaper and then only have the buy the game for GH3.

I'm itching to get this, but at the moment I can't justify the outlay of £100 plus for the two guitars and game it would take for me and my girlfriend to play.

Does anyone know what the online capabilities of it are on the 360? As in whether you can play against someone online or just post videos, high scores etc?

It is a little expense, but if you get it for Xbox360, you know you'll at least be able to download new songs and stuff from Xbox Live as they come out. And, of course, you could just get the game for however much it is (game+guitar was $99.99 USD or something like that) and then buy one of the cheap 3rd party controllers (even though they say that they're "not supported" for the Guitar Hero games).

And yes, there is a ton of online stuff if you have it for 360. Leaderboards, co-op stuff, player-vs-player matches, and (eventually) downloadable content.

Regarding the actual songs on the game, I am a little disappointed. I like a lot of them, but some of them I just can't find myself liking (especially the one by the Dead Kennedy's - of course, I've never liked anything by them that I've heard). Also, "Devil Went Down to Georgia" is, as far as I know, not an actual song that you can play - it's only available as the final "Boss Battle" song, and that's the only time you get to play it.

lumberofdabeast
2007-10-29, 09:55 PM
I just got it yesterday. Compared to GHII, the graphics are awesome, especially the other members of the band. For once, the singers actually look like they're singing the song!

My advice: If you enjoyed Guitar Hero II, get this game. If you didn't like Guitar Hero II, this one won't be much better for you.

Counterpoint: The singer looks like a caveman muppet and the drummer appears to actually be a puppet, and a poorly-made one at that.

It is a little expense, but if you get it for Xbox360, you know you'll at least be able to download new songs and stuff from Xbox Live as they come out.

Counterpoint: The PS2 version, though it lacks online play, will eventually be hacked, meaning you'll be able to make custom songs for it with the right software, including any DLC.

*goes back to Slash battle expert*

RTGoodman
2007-10-29, 10:05 PM
*goes back to Slash battle expert*

That thing actually helped me unlock one of the Xbox 360 GH3 secret achievements - for failing it like 10 or 15 times in a row! I finally got past it, but now I'm stuck on "3s and 7s" by Queens of the Stone Age on my Expert.

I do agree with you that the singer and drummer don't look very good. The cutscenes are pretty cool though, and the intro videos do look pretty good. Of course, I didn't really buy the game for the graphics.

lumberofdabeast
2007-10-29, 10:12 PM
That thing actually helped me unlock one of the Xbox 360 GH3 secret achievements - for failing it like 10 or 15 times in a row! I finally got past it, but now I'm stuck on "3s and 7s" by Queens of the Stone Age on my Expert.

I do agree with you that the singer and drummer don't look very good. The cutscenes are pretty cool though, and the intro videos do look pretty good. Of course, I didn't really buy the game for the graphics.

He keeps crushing me. I'm so sad...

And I can't get past One or Raining Blood hard, either. Depressing...

Fuzzy_Juan
2007-10-29, 10:49 PM
Man...looking at some of the vids of GH3, I know what the designers must have been thinking...

"The fans love the game, but the hardcore fans don't think the game is challenging enough...you see the crap they put out online...it is inhuman...crazy...it is like they want an impossible piece and still expect to play it"

"I know...lets make a game even harder...if they do that to themselves, they'll wet themselves for official masochism!"

"great, Dragonforce and Primus it is...that should show them who's boss round here..."

:smallbiggrin:

I absolutely love some of the songs on here...but man, the expert on those is just insane!

RTGoodman
2007-10-29, 11:06 PM
I absolutely love some of the songs on here...but man, the expert on those is just insane!

Yep, I definitely failed Dragonforce's "Through the Fire and Flames" in three seconds or so on Expert. I didn't even try it again after that.

lumberofdabeast
2007-10-30, 02:43 PM
Ugh... I managed to beat Raining Blood on Hard... but I failed One again.

At 98%.

I think I need a hug. Or some alcohol.

Or a hug and some alcohol.

A Rainy Knight
2007-10-30, 02:55 PM
Counterpoint: The singer looks like a caveman muppet and the drummer appears to actually be a puppet, and a poorly-made one at that.

There's no way I'm disputing the drummer. But I still think that the singer is improved from Guitar Hero II, where he basically just stood still the entire time.

My favorite songs so far are Talk Dirty To Me, When You Were Young, Hit Me With Your Best Shot, Cliffs of Dover, and Welcome To The Jungle.

Also, Through The Fire And Flames is just sick. I could barely get through it on Medium.

Volug
2007-10-30, 03:02 PM
I got it yesturday, I've been up all night playing it.

Through the Fire and Flames is.... Impossible on Expert. I managed out a 4/5 on Hard. Though unless I dedicate my life to it (Won't happen) It's not going to get higher:smallbiggrin:

lumberofdabeast
2007-10-30, 04:10 PM
...Well, at least I have my alcohol.

*sniff*

*sob*

PlatinumJester
2007-10-30, 04:19 PM
I want it. I want it. I want it.

Curse you Wii for getting another good game. Now I have to buy this as well as Resi 4, Resi Light Gun Game, Mario Galaxy, SSMB and Metroid Prime 3 :smallfurious:.

Goes off with Tommy Gun and money bag to rob a bank.

Mustiado
2007-10-30, 09:16 PM
I was wondering where I'd find this thread.

A) The drummer animations are absolutely atrocious. The singer I can pass with, because no one expected a close up of the singer to be motion captured, so its fine if he looks like the Cookie Monster.

B) What's with all the hammer-on/pull-off hate in GH3? It seems like they just picked random notes to make non-hammer ons. And in places where they'd be absolutely crucial too. And not necessarily when the song is calling for separate notes too.

C) It seems like songs are less fun to play on here. As opposed to being compelling to master, the songs are just... hard. Really hard. Raining Blood is a good example. It's not fun to try and learn, it's just super fast and it sounds like a mess. Same for Slipknot (I'm sure that'll get me flamed by some fanboys.)

On the up side...

D) Some of the bonus songs are flat out fun again, and its part of why I keep coming back to GH. Don't Hold Back and Impulse are two songs that strike me off the top of my head. Oh, and some song about fire and flames that I get 1% into and then fail.

E) I kinda like the boss battles, contrary to what was said earlier. It gives the game a switch of pace. The only one that irked me was the final one with Lou, where they don't give you an attack till halfway through the song.

F) Welcome to the Jungle = yes. And several other songs I can't think of off the top of my head.

G) Styles = yes. I'm not even a clothes horse, I just like the idea of more customization.

H) This list has gone on FAR too long. I'm stopping now. With a query as to what happened to star power animations? I miss air machine gunning the crowd.

That's all my thoughts for now.