PDA

View Full Version : New adventure 1-12: Icewind Dale

Waazraath
2020-06-19, 09:14 AM
The title says it all I guess: https://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/icewind-dale-rime-frostmaiden

Out in september.

And meh. Enough adventure books. More character options please, or settings (including more books on Faerun, Eberron, etc.), or books that give some depth to a creature type (Draconomicon or Libris Mortis, anybody)?

MrStabby
2020-06-19, 10:01 AM
I do like the alternative cover. Personally I don't do published adventures... but if I were to do so, then something like this would appeal to me. Nice level range (though one or two higher start and finish would be nice), nice themes, nice world to discover...

heavyfuel
2020-06-19, 10:04 AM
Oh, look, another low level adventure set in the realms :smallsigh:

Zhorn
2020-06-19, 10:17 AM
Well I'm still enthused. Would have liked to see the level range starts and end a little higher, but I tend to modify and alter to be above the level range anyway.

Also being centred around a tighter section of the world should give richer details on the towns and NPCs, so more RP opportunities that are not just one-and-done setups where players visit a town once and never again. One of the big things I loved with LMoP, could really flesh out the story with the townsfolk and weave them into the story more.

J-H
2020-06-19, 10:19 AM
Aside from the baked-in adventure...will it be better than Frostburn?

GlenSmash!
2020-06-19, 10:24 AM
50 new frosty monsters is cool (pun intended) and I like the idea of every character in the party having a secret.

It might actually succeed in having a horror element to my game. By that I mean I've never had a monster or bad guy strike horror into me, but I can easily imagine having a character with a secret so bad i'd be terrified to let the other members of the party know it.

Waazraath
2020-06-19, 10:27 AM
Aside from the baked-in adventure...will it be better than Frostburn?

Now that would be nice. Frostburn was really good. But that wasn't an adventure of course, it was a thematic book, providing depth to any arctic region or even dungeon, and had monsters, races, feats, prestige classes, equipment and spells. In addition to two (small) adventures. I played a Disciple of Thrym in 3.5, was an absolute blast.

Trask
2020-06-19, 10:44 AM
The realms feel like a prison for D&D at this point, will we ever break out?

Sam113097
2020-06-19, 02:14 PM
I'm absolutely loving both covers - that is an interesting and eye-catching monster design!

I'm hoping that this adventure will bring some useful content; as a DM, I don't use a lot of pre-made adventures, but I do like terrifying monster ideas and am especially excited for more wilderness survival rules and hopefully some more cold-based player options (I would love a Cold Domain for the Cleric)! I will say that I am fine with the level range. Personally, I feel that higher-level campaigns require tailoring to each individual adventuring party.

sambojin
2020-06-19, 09:49 PM
Hopefully it has some cold themed beasts of CR3/4/5 for Moon Druids to utilize. They're a bit thin in that area for wildshaping.

(every book is a player option book for Moon Druids, as long as there's a few beasts, Fey and elementals in there)

jaappleton
2020-06-19, 10:11 PM
Here's what I know:

1. A small handful of new spells
2. Just under 50 new monsters, many of which are cold oriented variations of existing ones
3. Heavily inspired by John Carpenter's The Thing, focusing on paranoia and isolation
4. 320 Pages
5. Levels 1-12
6. Quest structure is quite similar to the Essentials Kit; focusing on smaller quests that are part of a larger whole (as opposed to the long overarcing epic style of Avernus)
7. Quite a few powerful items which will delight players if they get their hands on them

Daphne
2020-06-19, 10:14 PM
6. Quest structure is quite similar to the Essentials Kit; focusing on smaller quests that are part of a larger whole (as opposed to the long overarcing epic style of Avernus)

I like this on principle, but I found some quests from the Essentials kit too vague, so I hope they flash those out more.

Rfkannen
2020-06-19, 10:23 PM
Here's what I know:

2. Just under 50 new monsters, many of which are cold oriented variations of existing ones
3. Heavily inspired by John Carpenter's The Thing, focusing on paranoia and isolation
4. 320 Pages
5. Levels 1-12
7. Quite a few powerful items which will delight players if they get their hands on them

Oh rad there are going to be spells? Rad!! was that in one of the dndbeyond videos?

jaappleton
2020-06-19, 10:26 PM
I like this on principle, but I found some quests from the Essentials kit too vague, so I hope they flash those out more.

Perkins stated quite specifically they took what they learned from Essentials and Avernus and made sure to apply it to this adventure.

Oh, also, Perkins is the lead on the book. First lead he's had since Tomb of Annihilation.

Chaos Jackal
2020-06-20, 02:08 AM

If that's true, how small of a handful are we talking about? Two new cantrips and two reprints, or something more substantial?