PDA

View Full Version : Designing Variant of D&D 'half' bloodlines

Josh the Aspie
2007-10-28, 03:45 AM
It's bugged me for a while that half elves count as elves, but not humans, and that half-orcs count as orcs, but not humans... and that while assimar and tiefling are MOSTLY human, they still only count as outsiders with the native subtype.

Well, I found a variant rule in Races of destiny that almost but not quite solves this.

For half-orcs and half-elves, who retain the humanoid type, I'm looking at simply adding the human subtype so that they can qualify to use objects, suffer penalties and the like if things apply only to humans.

For creatures that are mostly human, or have human origins, I'm looking at also adding the human sub-type. They would keep the altered type (such as aberration, or outsider) but for things that are restricted to targeting only a particular sub-type, such as bane weapons, and ranger favored enemies, those sub-types would be what is targeted.

I don't see why 'cold' or 'fire' or 'aquatic' and other such descriptors should be able to cross type lines, but these types shouldn't be able too.

I'm thinking I may also allow races with the 'human' subtype to take 'human' only feats, and the same for 'elf' only subtypes if they have the 'elf' subtype.

I realize that these rulings would normally make characters with these mixes more vulnerable in battle, and more versatile outside of it, but I don't currently think this would be to much of a problem.

If there are implications of this that I am missing, or if people have comments on how to improve this rule, or how the balance may be more put off than I think this is... please let me know. Heck, any comments at all are welcomed.

Josh the Aspie
2007-10-28, 03:07 PM
Does this not belong in the home brew section?

Lord Iames Osari
2007-10-28, 03:13 PM
I do some of this myself. Personally, I think the versatility/vulnerability balances out pretty well.

Josh the Aspie
2007-10-29, 01:30 AM
Any broken combos either by or against these new altered creatures that I need to look out for?

I've also been reminded about the augmented template by a friend.

Seems to me that an Elan, or an Aasimar would also have the Augmented Humanoid sub-type.