PDA

View Full Version : Forgotten Realms - Historical question (Imaskar & Selune)

schreier
2020-06-19, 12:45 PM
In the Imaskari empire (the original one, before they brought over the Mulhorandi pantheon), I believe they were mostly humanists / atheists or at least did not venerate the gods.

Was Selune around at that point?

Basically, I am trying to come up with a good aligned historically "accurate" warlock - I was hoping to have the character's mother effectively make a pact with Selune to protect her child. She died in child birth, and made the pact then. I was contemplating making her a theurge (wizard/archivist potentially, unless cleric was plausible for Imaskari).

Does this seem reasonable?

Melcar
2020-06-19, 04:10 PM
In the Imaskari empire (the original one, before they brought over the Mulhorandi pantheon), I believe they were mostly humanists / atheists or at least did not venerate the gods.

Was Selune around at that point?

Basically, I am trying to come up with a good aligned historically "accurate" warlock - I was hoping to have the character's mother effectively make a pact with Selune to protect her child. She died in child birth, and made the pact then. I was contemplating making her a theurge (wizard/archivist potentially, unless cleric was plausible for Imaskari).

Does this seem reasonable?

Selene is The Moon. Iirc, she was one of the first beings in the universe... at least in realm space. So she predated basically all other things exempt Shar and AO.

Palanan
2020-06-19, 05:49 PM
According to Faiths and Pantheons (p. 56), Ao created the universe and "protoplasmic raw existence took the form of twin deities," which were Selūne and Shar. They went on to create "heavenly bodies," including Toril, but once Selūne lit up the sun that was that as far as Shar was concerned.

So Selūne arose from ylem, essentially, and created Toril and its sun. Selūne has been around ever since, although her power isn't always constant.

schreier
2020-06-20, 10:10 AM
Thank you both for the responses ... it is great to confirm she was around there. That was my understanding, but I wanted to be sure.

Do you think that a mother making a pact with a goddess like Selune would be a reasonable way to create a warlock? It seems like, in 5th edition, the celestial warlock partons are more like solars and unicorns. I could easily have a solar or couatl make the pact instead of selune. What do you think makes more sense? Couatl would be cool, as I plan on going down the rainbow servant route.

Thanks again!

Palanan
2020-06-20, 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by schreier
Do you think that a mother making a pact with a goddess like Selune would be a reasonable way to create a warlock?

This makes the most sense to me, and also seems like the coolest option. As goddess of the moon, Selūne is specially favored by women and an emblem of femininity (p. 55), and although it isn't mentioned in Faiths and Pantheons, it would be natural for women to call on Selūne during childbirth. I'd say you have a great concept here.