PDA

View Full Version : What foods do you really hate?

understatement
2020-06-20, 02:25 AM
Today I was reading an article about fruit salad and realized the horrors of putting those round red tomatoes in them (Roma?).

Also, seafood. Especially shrimp. I don't know what the taste of fish and other seafood is called (the very strong, 'fresh' flavor) but it absolutely makes me want to gag each time I have to eat it. Crab is okay.

And mushrooms. They taste and chew like rubber, and it feels grossly slimey on the tongue.

What are your food anathemas?

The Fury
2020-06-20, 05:43 AM
Something that I guess is sort of weird is that I don't like grapes. I never have. It also never stops surprising people like my parents or my sister. Y'know, in the vein of, "What? You don't like grapes? When did this happen?"

I also don't like ranch dressing, though I guess that's more of a condiment.

Stattick
2020-06-20, 05:46 AM
Mayo, sour cream, cream cheese, hummus, chickpeas, sweat pickles, ranch, ranch flavored *anything*, grapefruit, pears (flavor's alright, texture isn't), wine, Alfredo sauce, cream sauce, amaretto, aioli, German potato salad, most olive varieties, and probably a few things I haven't remembered.

Mostly it breaks down into:
Sour things, especially if it tastes like spoiled milk
Fiberglass texture (pears, chickpeas, hummus)
Creamy texture (except sweets)

Eldan
2020-06-20, 06:10 AM
Liver. I can't really eat Liver anything, except some strongly flavoured Patés. But fried liver makes me gag and liver sausages of any kind are worse. And I will absolutely taste one small liver out of an entire stew.

Also, pumpkin of any kind. Pumpkin soup, especially.

Cygnia
2020-06-20, 08:30 AM
Brussels sprouts, lima beans, raisins, turnips, zucchini/summer squash...

I don't want to say my palate has grown since I was younger, but I've learned to appreciate some foods a lot better once they're actually prepared correctly. Liver -- my parents cooked that down to the consistency of shoe leather and never bothered to clean it beforehand. However, I've learned to cook it to the right temperature and soak it in either milk or wine before I prep it.

Peelee
2020-06-20, 08:51 AM
Today I was reading an article about fruit salad and realized the horrors of putting those round red tomatoes in them (Roma?).

Also, seafood. Especially shrimp. I don't know what the taste of fish and other seafood is called (the very strong, 'fresh' flavor) but it absolutely makes me want to gag each time I have to eat it. Crab is okay.

And mushrooms. They taste and chew like rubber, and it feels grossly slimey on the tongue.

What are your food anathemas?

Tomatoes, seafood, and mushrooms? You are the anti-Peelee, I declare!

Anyway. Sour cream. It tastes like nothing, which has somehow gone bad. Peanut butter is horrid. Mint is decidedly unenjoyable. I know there are others, but those three always seem to rise to the top.

JeenLeen
2020-06-20, 10:00 AM
My friends have categorized my distaste as "white foods except cheese".
Sour cream, cream cheese, mayonnaise, ranch dressing or flavored stuff (although sometimes things like chips are tolerable, if other things cancel out the taste), creamy sauces.

When I worked at a Mexican eatery, sour cream was what I called "nausea incarnate". Everything from putting it into our container, to putting it on food, to the smell was just gross. A little sour cream ruins most anything for me. I can tolerate some desserts or pastries with cream cheese if it's small enough, but cheesecake tastes bad to me unless the chocolate (or whatever) is so strong it overwhelms the taste of the cream cheese. In recent years, I can tolerate some mayo on a hamburger, but I still tend to open it and scrap off what I can.

I have learned that I like real crema, which is a Mexican condiment (?) akin to sour cream. But most Mexican places around here mean sour cream when they say crema.

Fyraltari
2020-06-20, 11:00 AM
Anchovies. Everything else I dislike I can stomach with some effort but not those *****.

137beth
2020-06-20, 11:09 AM
Tomatoes and fish are two that come to mind. Also, while I like both sweet foods and salty foods, those two flavors absolutely do not belong together.

warty goblin
2020-06-20, 12:01 PM
Tomatoes are not food. They are a larval form of pre-food, which, with proper processing can become a variety of delicious sauces.

sktarq
2020-06-20, 12:50 PM
there is quite a list. And when I dislike these...these tend to cause physical retching or pain.

Olives,
Peppers (Chili, Bell, jalapeño, any and all they all ruin any food they touch in my opinion...and yes I mean touch I can taste that contact and nothing else if it happens)
Pickles
Curry leaf
Cinnamon
Cilantro in any amount
Greek Yogurt
Some Kimchi
Licorice
Anise
Tequila

Just dislike:

Peanut butter
Sour Cream
Summer Squash
Most any amount of cardamon or Tumeric (but can handle very small amounts)
Most other kinds of Kimchi
Certain types of semi-salted herring (red salting for example) ...like a good kipper but yikes!
Banana
Cheese-wizz and similar concoctions

Knaight
2020-06-20, 12:52 PM
I'm not sure there's anything; the line for how good an ingredient/dish has to be before I like it varies but I seem to like basically everything if it's well made or picked enough. Which often isn't that well made at all; I'll eat a deeply dubious burrito because I adore burritos.

That said, apples come closest. I wouldn't say I really hate them, but I will say that every single thing an apple can do a pear can go better. Especially pie, apple pie is the worst pie and replacing all the apples with pears makes it way better.

A similar thing applies to oranges and grapefruit. Still, I wouldn't say I hate apples or oranges, just that I find them obsolete.

Fyraltari
2020-06-20, 02:13 PM
Tomatoes are not food. They are a larval form of pre-food, which, with proper processing can become a variety of delicious sauces.

You take that back.

Peelee
2020-06-20, 02:30 PM
You take that back.

You don't think the sauces are delicious? And you call yourself French....

I kid, I love me some tomatoes. Roma, beefsteak, cherry... oh, cherry tomatoes, you are the perfect snack, especially when you have a good crunch.

jdizzlean
2020-06-20, 02:44 PM
Peanut butter is super fabulous. Mint is decidedly totally enjoyable. I know there are others, but those always seem to rise to the top.

FTFY.

onions are the devil incarnate btw. i will pick dehydrated onions out of white rice one grain at a time and send them to the pit of despair.

deltamire
2020-06-20, 03:43 PM
Lots of people have already said it, but I'll say it again; raw tomatoes are the bane of my existence. Sensory issues are bad enough for squishy things with liquid in them, but a raw tomato is just a fruit that's out to get you. It's completely nonsensical, but my brain just rejects them. I love 'em in literally any other form - soup, as a sauce for pizza or pasta, red pesto, even dried tomatoes are good - but when they're just slimy nasty little things . . . Urg. The smell of them is almost as bad, and it just sticks on anything you touch them off. I often make sandwiches for other people alongside mine, and raw tomatoes are things that people, validly yet terrifyingly, like in sandwiches so I have to play a fun game of 'Have I made everything I'm going to be eating?' before I break out the tomatoes. It doesn't help that where I live gets pretty terrible ones. Watery, tasteless things.

(Also, mayo. Those ready-made sandwiches in packets you can get from shops that you only realise have a thin layer of mayo instead of butter after you've opened them? Banned. Cancelled.)

Anonymouswizard
2020-06-20, 04:07 PM
Tomatoes are one of my happy foods :smallsmile:

I have two major food gripes: beansprouts and walnuts. There's other foods I'd rather not eat, but those two I loathe.

Beansprouts taste of nothing. I've heard people claim they taste of water, but no, decent water has more taste (due to all those delicious minerals), I literally cannot taste anything in beansprouts. And there is nothing worse than eating a food without delicious flavour, but people always but them into delicious Chinese food as if diluting the flavour is a good thing?

Like, I've heard people complain about dofu/tofu, but at least it does taste of something on it's own. You make Mapo Dofu because the burning sensation on your tongue enhances your ability to taste tofu (and I love the taste of tofu*).

As for Walnuts, there's just something about the taste and texture I loathe, except when served alongside coffee in a cake. Coffee just manages to alter the walnut taste enough to result in delicious cake times instead of horrible nutty distustingness.

* My sister has pointed out it's weird that I'm not vegetarian, because I adore it so much.

Rynjin
2020-06-20, 04:10 PM
I consider myself a fairly unpicky eater, but zucchini and all types of squash cause a visceral projectile reaction from me.

As for things I just dislike, but don't make me violently ill...I know there's a few niche dishes I don't like and stuff, of course; it's hard to account for the mixing of flavors. But the only other two "I really don't want to eat those in any form" foods I can think of are eggplants (or aubergines, for the Brits on the site) and tamarind; I hear it's an acquired taste, but after years of trying I've never managed to "acquire it", so it's safe to say I never will.

For non-flavor reasons, whole crabs. I've always had a thing, since I was a kid, about getting my fingers too messy when I eat. I've mostly overcome that with time and effort; I'll eat sloppy joes and lick sauces from ribs and wings off my fingers happily these days. But there's something about whole crabs that give me a minor panic attack. I can eat just the legs just fine.

Peanut butter is horrid.

Just dislike:
Peanut butter

HERETICS! =p

Anonymouswizard
2020-06-20, 04:17 PM
But the only other two "I really don't want to eat those in any form" foods I can think of are eggplants (or aubergines, for the Brits on the site) and tamarind; I hear it's an acquired taste, but after years of trying I've never managed to "acquire it", so it's safe to say I never will.

Stupid question, are you salting them before cooking? Because I know people who claim to not like aubergine, and most of them didn't salt it before cooking.

If you do carry on! There is nothing wrong with disliking any food!

Except for tomatoes. They are best food.

InvisibleBison
2020-06-20, 04:28 PM
I don't know if there are any foods that I hate, but I don't like melons, any kind of cooked fruit, coffee and alcoholic beverages.

Cygnia
2020-06-20, 04:33 PM
Like, I've heard people complain about dofu/tofu, but at least it does taste of something on it's own. You make Mapo Dofu because the burning sensation on your tongue enhances your ability to taste tofu (and I love the taste of tofu*).

For years, my husband HATED tofu. Thought it was tasteless, bland and mushy. Fast-forward to 2019 and husband decided to become a pescatarian. Only he doesn't actually LIKE a lot of different fishes, so it fell upon me to experiment with tofu. Now...now he's a convert (not to everything -- he still hates miso soup). I do a pretty good ****ake mapo tofu if I do say so myself. :smallcool:

(As for beansprouts, I'm a sucker for the version they have in Korean banchan with sesame oil)

Rynjin
2020-06-20, 04:35 PM
Stupid question, are you salting them before cooking? Because I know people who claim to not like aubergine, and most of them didn't salt it before cooking.

Yeah, I've had it a ton of different ways. The closest I've come to liking it is with eggplant parmesan, but that was because tomato sauce and cheese taste good. Mostly I just don't think eggplant tastes like much of anything at all, is why I don't like it.

Peelee
2020-06-20, 04:46 PM

Hear hear!

Also, onions when cooked in things. Like, I hate the taste of vinegar, but I love how vinegar changed the taste of things in cooking. Same with onions (airgun I love raw onions as well)

I don't know if there are any foods that I hate, but I don't like melons, any kind of cooked fruit, coffee and alcoholic beverages.

Oh, that reminds me. Coffee. Hard pass on that. Also, most melons except water. That one can stick around.

understatement
2020-06-20, 05:37 PM

:smalleek:

I have two major food gripes: beansprouts and walnuts. There's other foods I'd rather not eat, but those two I loathe.

As for Walnuts, there's just something about the taste and texture I loathe, except when served alongside coffee in a cake. Coffee just manages to alter the walnut taste enough to result in delicious cake times instead of horrible nutty distustingness.

But...walnuts are so good...and crunchy...and again, really good... :smallfrown:

Anyhow,

I forgot to put pickles on my list. The flavor of pickles has absolutely zero appeal.

sktarq
2020-06-20, 06:13 PM
Also, onions when cooked in things. Like, I hate the taste of vinegar, but I love how vinegar changed the taste of things in cooking. Same with onions (airgun I love raw onions as well)
Oh, that reminds me. Coffee. Hard pass on that. Also, most melons except water. That one can stick around.

That is because you drink coffee not eat it....and thus skipped the mind.

Also I totally agree with you on coffee.....keep it at least 2 m away from thankyou....yeah I just don't even think of it as a no thanx part of my life because it has just been that way for so long.

as for vinegar I love the stuff, have a collection of flavored drinking vinegars (shrubs) in with my booze shelf. . . I highly recommend you explore that fun little corner of the culinary world (cut with club soda to taste, add to sauces/marinades, or make wonderful cocktails)

oxybe
2020-06-20, 06:31 PM
{scrubbed} mayonnaise. And most commercial/store bought mustards. toss in relish and store bought pickles too.

I'm open to many foods, but there's a reason I don't go to many specialty burger places.

Peelee
2020-06-20, 08:28 PM
Oh man, I love specialty burger places. Mostly because some (which I consider the better ones) will allow "rare" as one of their cook-to-order options. And, as much as I like a rare steak, a rare hamburger somehow transcends that. It's a magical thing.

I am well aware of the health risks, before anyone jumps on that.

Zevox
2020-06-20, 09:24 PM
There's two common flavors that I cannot stand: cherry and mint. The latter is actually particularly annoying, not because of food, but because it forces me to be picky about toothpastes, since so many of those are mint-flavor by default.

Also, turkey - though it's not so much that I dislike it, as that it has no taste to me whatsoever. It's like I'm just chewing on a vaguely meat-ish texture, but tasting nothing at all. I like most meat, but turkey may as well not exist.

Tvtyrant
2020-06-20, 09:28 PM
There's two common flavors that I cannot stand: cherry and mint. The latter is actually particularly annoying, not because of food, but because it forces me to be picky about toothpastes, since so many of those are mint-flavor by default.

Also, turkey - though it's not so much that I dislike it, as that it has no taste to me whatsoever. It's like I'm just chewing on a vaguely meat-ish texture, but tasting nothing at all. I like most meat, but turkey may as well not exist.

Turkey is a lot like egg whites. The leaner the more egg whiteish is becomes, by 99% lean it is almost indistinguishable. Cooking is similar, texture, the flavor...

I guess protein tastes like protein!

Peelee
2020-06-20, 10:21 PM

Would you like to know how angry I still am at Crest discontinuing their Citrus Splash toothpaste line?

Hint: it's is a lengthy string of superlatives and expletives.

Anonymouswizard
2020-06-21, 03:33 AM

I have the same sane experience, although that's less to disliking mint itself (great addition to lamb! And several other foods that don't disgust the French at their mixing, such as peas) and more for to foregoing they concentrated mint flavour that toothpaste and sweets use. In fact, Is much rather clean with s blander toothpaste it that was possible.

Vahnavoi
2020-06-21, 06:57 AM
Pineapple. The juice is tolerable, the texture is awfull. Warm pineapple is particularly vile, people who dare to put it in perfectly fine salty pizza are godless heathens.

Pork. Thin slices of ham or bacon are tolerable, but I grew accustomed to beef and especially game meat as a kid. In comparison, pork is bland and disgustingly fatty.

Several types of lake fish are also pretty meh. Especially when smoked - there are some varieties that taste great but the stench gives me a migraine. Lutefisk is great, though - it's almost like eating boiled egg whites.

Citrus fruits taste heavenly, but I dislike their chewy texture, so I basically never eat them whole.

Some fermented foods are also horrid, but that's the point, because they're a cruel joke one tribe plays on another to weed out the foreigners. :smalltongue:

Peelee
2020-06-21, 07:16 AM
Oh man, the older I get, the more I like pineapple. Especially fresh. I've always loved citrus like crazy, then mangos grew in me, and now pineapples. I am a tropical creature at heart.

Also, a local Mexican place makes these al pastore tacos, where pineapple is part of the marinade for the pork. I need to learn to replicate it, I never even thought of doing that but it works just so well.

Asmotherion
2020-06-21, 07:45 AM
I'm very difficult with fish. When prepared some ways I love it (especially sushi). Some other ways, I see it as a torture to my taste buds. And the fishbone doesn't help either.

Vegan products are a big no go for me. Mostly because I used to hang out with this vegan couple, and the guy was so anoying in trying to make me replace cheese with vegan cheese, it got to my nerves, and now I don't want anything remotely vegan near my plate, to the point I make extra effort to include bacon in all my legumes, and chicken in all salads I consume. There's also a bunsh of other reasons I'm not into vegan products, but this is the main one.

Finally, I can't stand the smell let alone the taste of tahini, and I'm not big on melons, though I love watermelons.

Also I don't like bitter tastes, though I drink my coffee bitter, so I guess it depends on the intensity. Grapefruit is a big no-go, unless it's in some form of sweet for example.

Oh man, the older I get, the more I like pineapple. Especially fresh. I've always loved citrus like crazy, then mangos grew in me, and now pineapples. I am a tropical creature at heart.

Also, a local Mexican place makes these al pastore tacos, where pineapple is part of the marinade for the pork. I need to learn to replicate it, I never even thought of doing that but it works just so well.

Have you tried pork with honey? One of my favorite recipies, and it sounds like you'll enjoy it.

Cygnia
2020-06-21, 09:39 AM
Peelee, this recipe (https://blog.thermoworks.com/pork/tacos-al-pastor-mexican-tacos-with-temperature-advice/) might help with your al pastor cravings.

A lot of modern turkey is bred for size not flavor these days, sadly. :smallfrown:

Peelee
2020-06-21, 12:06 PM
Peelee, this recipe (https://blog.thermoworks.com/pork/tacos-al-pastor-mexican-tacos-with-temperature-advice/) might help with your al pastor cravings.

You just made an enemy friend for life.

The Fury
2020-06-21, 03:38 PM
Oh man, I love specialty burger places. Mostly because some (which I consider the better ones) will allow "rare" as one of their cook-to-order options. And, as much as I like a rare steak, a rare hamburger somehow transcends that. It's a magical thing.

I am well aware of the health risks, before anyone jumps on that.

Yeah? Me too. I'll pretty much love any burger place that can do a good spicy burger. You know the type? One with pepperjack cheese and hot peppers?

My favorite burger place makes a bacon cheeseburger with peanut butter and strawberry jam. Honestly, it shouldn't be good at all, but it's amazing.

el minster
2020-06-21, 08:19 PM
That's Horrendous!

Wizard_Lizard
2020-06-21, 08:37 PM
Cucumber, no clue why, I like similar foods, I just find cucumber disgusting.

The Fury
2020-06-21, 10:06 PM
That's Horrendous!

The PB&J burger? I honestly thought it would be too. My curiosity was piqued though, so I had to try it.

Knaight
2020-06-21, 10:25 PM
On pineapple - there are a handful of tropical fruit that I really loved when I was a kid in Thailand (for like a year), and which I've liked a lot less since coming back to the US. Pineapple is absolutely on that list, though I still like it. Lychee and mango though, I adore good lychee and mango, and I'm either on the wrong continent entirely or a good thousand miles too far north to find either.

The PB&J burger? I honestly thought it would be too. My curiosity was piqued though, so I had to try it.
I've made a similar mistake, though it was only to the tune of a bite of someone else's burger. I should have known that donut buns couldn't end well, but I just suspected and it wasn't enough. I might have to rescind my comment about not really hating anything for it, because I strongly suspect that even a really good donut bun burger would go down poorly.

That said, I tend to dislike mixing meat and sweet. Sweet teriyaki is about as sweet as I can go and still like it, something like honeyed ham or maple bacon is emphatically not my thing. Though that's definitely in the dislike end and not the really hate.

el minster
2020-06-21, 11:24 PM

Whoa that takes guts!

understatement
2020-06-22, 12:06 AM
That said, I tend to dislike mixing meat and sweet. Sweet teriyaki is about as sweet as I can go and still like it, something like honeyed ham or maple bacon is emphatically not my thing. Though that's definitely in the dislike end and not the really hate.

I can totally relate with this. When I was a kid my parents used to pack me PBJ sandwiches with ham, which is an awful combination. (I salute those who enjoy it :smallsmile:)

Giggling Ghast
2020-06-22, 01:01 AM
Through the consumption of coconut milk, coconut water and other coconut-related products, I’ve determined that coconuts taste like concentrated evil.

I also dislike olives.

The Fury
2020-06-22, 01:47 AM
I've made a similar mistake, though it was only to the tune of a bite of someone else's burger. I should have known that donut buns couldn't end well, but I just suspected and it wasn't enough. I might have to rescind my comment about not really hating anything for it, because I strongly suspect that even a really good donut bun burger would go down poorly.

A doughnut burger might be a bit much for me. I like a good burger, I like a good doughnut... together though? I mean, whenever I eat doughnuts, I need black coffee to go with them. Otherwise I find them too sweet. Not that I think mixing sweet and savory flavors is an inherently bad idea. After all, my corner of the world's notable contribution to the culinary world is putting bacon on maple bars. God... I really want a doughnut now. I haven't eaten one since the world shut down.

Whoa that takes guts!

Well, yes. Where else am I going to put food?

In seriousness though, sometimes I feel like I need to try foods that I don't think I'll like. I like to be able to say definitively that I don't like a certain food, and sometimes something that sounds like it'll be gross is actually pretty good.

ben-zayb
2020-06-22, 03:40 AM
While I like the flavor ginger brings in soup/tea/juice, I hate actually biting even the tiniest bit of one. Ugh.

Anything with a hint of star anise tastes terrible.

I generally like spicy food and fermented food, but can't stomach the various types of kimchi.

Soda. It's probably the disgustingly saccharine taste and the realization that I am substituting water with a liquified carbonized candy.

Beer tastes plain horrible, like carbs in cool, bitter, liquid form. Generally, any alcohol (aka poison) or alcoholic drink tastes various kinds of horrible to me. Unless maybe a bartender turns one of them base spirits into a fancy drink, at which point I wonder ruin perfectly serviceable drinks by mixing them with poison in the first place.

Gnoman
2020-06-22, 04:13 AM
I loathe pineapple to the point that, were I in charge of the world there would be an entire branch of the military dedicated to purging the very concept of that vile fruit from the earth.

I am somewhat less fond of coconut than I am of pineapple.

Cygnia
2020-06-22, 08:34 AM
Through the consumption of coconut milk, coconut water and other coconut-related products, I’ve determined that coconuts taste like concentrated evil.

I also dislike olives.

It's the texture of coconut that sets my husband off more than the taste.

Knowing how to balance savory with sweet is a skill I'm working on. Dark chocolate with a bit of sea salt? Heaven!

Starlit Dragon
2020-06-22, 02:57 PM
I like most forms of fresh or dried fruit. But people keep doing horrible things with it like cooking it until it gets squishy or cutting it up and leaving it out or putting it into chocolate.

I also dislike zucchini. I have hated raw tomatos for most of my life, but I haven't tried one in ages. In general, slimy or squishy things squick me out.

el minster
2020-06-22, 06:54 PM
I like most forms of fresh or dried fruit. But people keep doing horrible things with it like cooking it until it gets squishy or cutting it up and leaving it out or putting it into chocolate.

Ooh, did you ever have dried mango from Trader Joe's?

razorback
2020-06-22, 10:18 PM
Pineapple. The juice is tolerable, the texture is awfull. Warm pineapple is particularly vile, people who dare to put it in perfectly fine salty pizza are godless heathens.

I agree for the most part. There is something about the texture of pineapple that doesn't match the taste to me. Oddly enough, I really like the way it smells when cooked but the taste, blah.

Pork. Thin slices of ham or bacon are is intolerable, but I grew accustomed to beef and especially game meat as a kid. In comparison, pork is bland and disgustingly fatty.

I only find ham disgusting. I've been told I've never had good ham but I've tried enough to know I don't like it. Love bacon, sausages, pork chops... but an actually ham is fatty in the wrong way.

Only thing worse than either of the above is coconut. Just the smell of it makes me nauseous. And being around people who lather themselves in coconut lotion makes me lose my appetite.

Stattick
2020-06-24, 05:33 AM
My friends have categorized my distaste as "white foods except cheese".
Sour cream, cream cheese, mayonnaise, ranch dressing or flavored stuff (although sometimes things like chips are tolerable, if other things cancel out the taste), creamy sauces.

When I worked at a Mexican eatery, sour cream was what I called "nausea incarnate". Everything from putting it into our container, to putting it on food, to the smell was just gross. A little sour cream ruins most anything for me. I can tolerate some desserts or pastries with cream cheese if it's small enough, but cheesecake tastes bad to me unless the chocolate (or whatever) is so strong it overwhelms the taste of the cream cheese. In recent years, I can tolerate some mayo on a hamburger, but I still tend to open it and scrap off what I can.

I have learned that I like real crema, which is a Mexican condiment (?) akin to sour cream. But most Mexican places around here mean sour cream when they say crema.

Sounds like I could have written the above.

Reading through the thread, I have to add tofu. The texture is bad, the flavor is virtually nonexistent, so I don't want it in my food. It reminds me of eating styrofoam. Soy does bad things to me too, so that's an extra helping of "nope".

Asmotherion
2020-06-24, 05:38 AM

Tried it once on a whim, as I had no actual toppings for my burger. Ended up delicius for some reason.

Peelee
2020-06-24, 09:03 AM
Sounds like I could have written the above.

Reading through the thread, I have to add tofu. The texture is bad, the flavor is virtually nonexistent, so I don't want it in my food. It reminds me of eating styrofoam. Soy does bad things to me too, so that's an extra helping of "nope".

Tofu is supposed to take on the flavor of what you're cooking. Also, there are various firmness categories; if it has the texture of styrofoam, something catastrophic went wrong. The firmer ones tend to be better IMO. My wife taught me to make an awesome tofu stew, which is fantastic. I never thought I liked tofu before that, but I have been introduced to a wide variety of Korean foods, and have since learned that it's not that I don't like tofu, I just didn't like tofu in the hands of people who didn't know how to cook with it.

Lacco
2020-06-24, 09:11 AM
For some reason, pineapple.

Best case (less than small teaspoon): 3 hours of aggressive belching.
Worst case (more): projectile vomiting.

Actually, I do not mind the taste. Just my body reacts to it this way. It has been tested without my foreknowledge (a friend made a cake with really small amount of minced pineapple) - and results were the same.

On the other hand, I do mind the taste of cucumber, but love pickles.

JeenLeen
2020-06-24, 09:40 AM
One odd thing for me is red wine, at least most of them (I think some organic ones or ones without sulfates don't bother me.)
I can enjoy the smell and taste of a little bit, but it usually makes me feel sick. Brandy does as well. It used to not bother me, but something happened that just makes me feel sick about it. (I guess this doesn't technically fit the definition of this thread, as it's not that I can't stand the taste, but my body seems to reject it.)

One time, after not eating or drinking anything for about a day or a half, I got drunk on red wine with bread. Since then, drinking red wine started making me feel ill. Also, that might have started me on disliking (at least most) bread by itself or dipped in wine. Bread on stuff is fine, but, just typing this, remembering the smell of a tray of different breads makes me feel sick, I guess memory from getting drunk that time.

Context: {scrubbed}

Cygnia
2020-06-24, 09:47 AM
If you're working with firmer tofu, you definitely need to make sure the moisture is pressed out of it first before cooking.

SeriousJalapeno
2020-06-24, 04:47 PM
I cant stand brussel sprouts XD no matter how they are cooked they just taste terrible to me. Im the same way with coffee actually lol

Fred_Franzinand
2020-06-24, 05:54 PM
It's a little specific, but egg bakes are a great way to take independently good ingredients and turn them into something less than food.

Also, coconuts. They look good, smell good, and hold tantalizing secrets, but taste like betrayal. They are the betrayers fruit.

The Fury
2020-06-24, 11:34 PM
It's a little specific, but egg bakes are a great way to take independently good ingredients and turn them into something less than food.

Also, coconuts. They look good, smell good, and hold tantalizing secrets, but taste like betrayal. They are the betrayers fruit.

Egg bakes are weird. They're basically quiche without the pastry.

Tyrant
2020-06-25, 12:58 AM
Add another vote to sour cream and cream cheese. I don't know why on the sour cream. I enjoy sour cream and onion chips (and sour cream and cheddar chips) and things that I know are made with sour cream, just not actual sour cream. I know part of that is that growing up I didn't eat a lot of dairy products. My mom (who did most of the cooking) is lactose intolerant (and allergic to seafood). So there's several kinds of cheese that I don't care for by themselves. I keep trying them now that I'm older and some of them aren't bad. Oddly there's a dish that she makes that has sour cream, cream cheese, and shredded cheese and I like it. Totally unrelated, but I'm very picky about macaroni and cheese. If I don't eat it fairly shortly after it is done cooking while it is still hot and melty, I don't care for it. As soon as it starts to cool something about the taste changes. Another oddity, despite only being able to sporadically eat seafood growing up, I love seafood.

Sometimes when I drink alcohol (which isn't very often as it is, unrelated to this reaction) I get pain in my upper chest. It's hard to explain. I don't mean heart pain or anything like that. It feels like a pain in my muscles just under the surface and it basically feels like I'm dying. It lasts for about 15 minutes the couple of times it happened. After it passes I can drink the rest of the night with no other issues (well, potential drunkenness aside). It only happened a couple times years ago and I don't drink very often (as in, maybe once or twice a year do I have a drink, much less even come close to getting drunk) so I never really thought much of it.

Other than that it's mainly things I would prefer not to eat. Things like eggs or cheese in salad. I have no idea what the appeal of eggs in salad is. I like eggs. I like them warm, not cold and surrounded by lettuce. Cheese and ranch somehow combine to become terrible tasting to me. Or thick pretzels (the kind in a bag in the chip aisle, not the warm bready kind). I like the salt and the crispy outside, not the bready interior. Thin pretzels are fine and pretzel M&Ms (which I thought I would hate) are good. I love peanuts, almonds, and cashews, but not walnuts or pecans (though I like them on some things). I like milk chocolate, but not chocolate milk. I like chocolate chunks in some kinds of ice cream, but not chocolate ice cream. Just oddities like that.

Cygnia
2020-06-25, 10:00 AM
I use normal sour cream in my cheesecake recipe, but for stuff like tacos et al, I've become a huge fan of crema Mexicana. It's like the Burrata of sour cream!

Stattick
2020-06-26, 02:00 AM
Tofu is supposed to take on the flavor of what you're cooking.

Yeah, that's what people say. In practice, I've found that tofu is the bland part of whatever the meal is. It's like biting into a piece of half-seasoned stuff in your food, that has a bad texture.

I do happen to like miso soup, though I could do without the chunks of tofu floating in it like little blobs of bland that many people put in the soup for reasons that are beyond me.

Peelee
2020-06-26, 09:50 AM
Yeah, that's what people say. In practice, I've found that tofu is the bland part of whatever the meal is. It's like biting into a piece of half-seasoned stuff in your food, that has a bad texture.

I do happen to like miso soup, though I could do without the chunks of tofu floating in it like little blobs of bland that many people put in the soup for reasons that are beyond me.

"The bland part of the meal" is quite welcome in spicy meals, I'll tell ya. And even in non-spicy meals, it can be decidedly non-bland. My wife's tofu stew is great (especially on the second day).

Cygnia
2020-06-26, 10:01 AM
After it's pressed, I like to oven bake my tofu with my homemade taco seasoning blend.

sktarq
2020-06-27, 01:28 PM
After it's pressed, I like to oven bake my tofu with my homemade taco seasoning blend.

It's interesting I loathe Tofu to the point I regularly forget it is a food that exists but I love Okara.
Yes I also dislike soy milk.

Stattick
2020-06-29, 12:08 AM
It's interesting I loathe Tofu to the point I regularly forget it is a food that exists but I love Okara.
Yes I also dislike soy milk.

Soy milk just has a weird taste. I'm severely lactose intolerant. But because soy can screw up my digestive system nearly as much as dairy, I avoid soy milk like the plague. I can take pills to help me digest dairy, but there's no pill to help me digest soy.

factotum
2020-06-29, 12:52 AM
Hate mustard. Always have. No idea why, because I generally like spicy foods--I just can't stand the taste of mustard.

NichG
2020-06-29, 01:25 AM
For me, I can't stand the taste and smell of more or less any form of meat or fish, but katsuobushi (dried, shaved bonito flakes) in particular causes me problems even in trace amounts, like in residual char on a grill or if a little bit of katsuo dashi is included in sauces or soups.

As far as tofu goes, it's a difficult ingredient and I think it also gets a bit too much leeway from health/vegetarianism uses of it that result in a lot of places just using it as an afterthought rather than really leaning into what you have to do to use it to good, purposeful effect..

For one thing, it's a lot more versatile in texture than in flavor, so it has to be used with that in mind - you're filling a texture gap that would otherwise be absent, or creating a texture that goes with a given flavor whose carriers lack the ability to provide that normally. For example, I've used deep-fried tofu in curries and that seems to pair well.

But I do think it can be used for flavor too, in certain cases. For me at least, fried tofu has a very distinctive flavor (it's really strong if you slow-fry it until it's basically a chip, but even the puffed fried tofu has a bit of this). Another thing you can do flavorwise, though a bit indirect, is to take advantage of how tofu doesn't really break down when cooked (at least if you use firm tofu), so it can handle sears strong enough to caramelize glazes and the like without turning into the mush you'd get if you tried to do that on any vegetable short of a carrot or potato.

Or with a more watery or oily sauce, freeze and thaw the tofu first (this basically creates a sort of spongy structure throughout, so don't expect it to hold up quite as well afterwards, and I'd guess it'd be disgusting deep fried since it'd just draw up half its weight in oil) and then marinate it in the sauce and it behaves like eggplant in terms of absorbing sauces but again doesn't really break down at all when cooked. So this is sort of an easier way to get the 'exploding with juice' effect of something like a xiao long bao without dealing with gelatinizing and freezing a stock and trying to form a dumpling around that. I think this sort of method also would hold up better to having multiple contrasting sauces in a single dish than pure surface coatings (e.g. you use one set of flavors when marinating the tofu, another set for the things you pair it with, and the sauce that's soaked into the tofu shouldn't be as easily displaced).

Silken tofu is harder for me to find a use for in my cooking (probably the only use I have for it is in mapo tofu), and I've yet to find a method of baking tofu that results in something I've wanted to repeat.

Anti-Eagle
2020-06-29, 03:16 AM
I'm going to be honest, most asian cuisine bothers me on an instinctual level. I wasn't fed it as a child and I can't really enjoy it. I don't necessarily hate it but most asian cuisine I can't eat, or atleast enjoy.

Yora
2020-06-29, 05:03 AM
Eggs. Nothing against eggs as ingredients in other food. But boiled eggs or scrambled eggs are just revolting.

sktarq
2020-06-29, 03:07 PM
Oh yeah yet another food I forgot to put on the list....Durian.

I will say it tastes better than it smells but that's in the same vein as saying I'd prefer to be shot with birdshot than a slug. . . still rather not be shot up the nose with such vile rotting onion/sweatsock chemical mixes (and I'm not totally against sweatsock foods...there are a few French and dutch cheeses like that...but Durians? NOPENOPENOPE)

Wizard_Lizard
2020-06-29, 05:07 PM
Haven't tried it but pretty sure I would dislike garum.

Asmotherion
2020-06-29, 07:23 PM

Eh, tofu and soja have a bad reputation because they are labeled as an alternative to meat.

I like both in some recipies, and they go well together with beef.

Peelee
2020-06-29, 07:39 PM
Eh, tofu and soja have a bad reputation because they are labeled as an alternative to meat.

Truth. Tofu shouldn't be used as a meat alternative, it should be used as its own ingredient.

Velaryon
2020-07-06, 02:46 PM
The big "nopes" for me are mushrooms and seafood. With mushrooms I can eat around them (picking them out of Chinese food dishes, picking them off pizza, etc.) but when it comes to seafood, my motto is "if it lives in the water, I don't eat it."

There's plenty of other stuff I really dislike: horseradish, beets, organ meats, many kinds of nuts (especially nuts mixed with... well, anything). But most of those are in the "I can eat it if I have to, or eat a bit to be polite" category.

I used to think I was allergic to almonds, because there were about four or fives times when I threw up shortly after eating some, but eventually I figured out that was at least partly psychosomatic. I still don't care for them though.

Arcane_Secrets
2020-07-09, 06:48 PM
Spam
Okra
Greens
Meatloaf
Apricots (I tried cooking with them once and resolved never to do it again)
Whole wheat pasta.

I like dairy quite a bit, but I couldn't drink milk straight without it tasting bitter to me so I haven't tried this in...years. In cereal/cooked or processed somehow like cheese/cottage cheese/pancakes et cetera I've never had trouble with it. Is anyone else this way as well?

There aren't a lot of foods I don't like as long as they're not cooked bland. Someone I know really likes to mummify his meats and I have a lot of internal jokes about that.

Tvtyrant
2020-07-09, 06:56 PM
The big "nopes" for me are mushrooms and seafood. With mushrooms I can eat around them (picking them out of Chinese food dishes, picking them off pizza, etc.) but when it comes to seafood, my motto is "if it lives in the water, I don't eat it."

There's plenty of other stuff I really dislike: horseradish, beets, organ meats, many kinds of nuts (especially nuts mixed with... well, anything). But most of those are in the "I can eat it if I have to, or eat a bit to be polite" category.

I used to think I was allergic to almonds, because there were about four or fives times when I threw up shortly after eating some, but eventually I figured out that was at least partly psychosomatic. I still don't care for them though.

I've noticed there is a connection between mushrooms and seafood, I wonder what is up with that. My sister and grandma hate both as well.

understatement
2020-07-09, 10:40 PM
I've noticed there is a connection between mushrooms and seafood, I wonder what is up with that. My sister and grandma hate both as well.

(Very much all my opinions) For me, it's their texture, which feels...awful. Mushrooms remind me as if I'm chewing live worms. Seeafood tastes too flaky, and there's always bones everywhere.

As for flavor, mushrooms have absolutely no taste whatsoever, and seafood has too much of it.

The Fury
2020-07-09, 11:09 PM
Something that doesn't come up much is that I can't drink cafe au lait. When I worked at the hotel, the trash bags always got too full, would often burst and there would always be a slurry of coffee, milk and who knows what else at the bottom. Now I always associate cafe au lait with garbage juice. I still drink a lot of coffee, I just can't put milk in it.

Tvtyrant
2020-07-09, 11:15 PM
(Very much all my opinions) For me, it's their texture, which feels...awful. Mushrooms remind me as if I'm chewing live worms. Seeafood tastes too flaky, and there's always bones everywhere.

As for flavor, mushrooms have absolutely no taste whatsoever, and seafood has too much of it.

You will probably be saddened to hear I like eating the skin and bones of the fish. Very healthy and I like the crispiness.

sktarq
2020-07-10, 03:50 PM
Mushrooms remind me as if I'm chewing live worms

I used to agree with you. . . except the live worms.

A few things that I find help.
Leave the spores....I was shocked to find some people trim off the actual spore producing regions of mushrooms...this can reduce the taste IMO.
Thicker Cuts of a Portabello and saute on a quite high heat. . . you are looking for a golden/grown tinge at the edges before turning the heat down. . . changes the texture and taste.
Also just toss a whole portabello head onto a charcoal fired grill...low heat...light marking only..I like to pair with and avocado/scallion/lemon juice mash.
Also find some of the weirder mushrooms. Oysters, Elephant, (Enoki) ear etc. There is a huge variety of tastes and the generic "mushroom" . . . . isn't a highlight.
also pairing with a bit of shallot or onion

Seeafood tastes too flaky, and there's always bones everywhere.
Well Flaky is a texture. and better than rubber duckie IMO.
Firstly....Freshness is everything when it comes to seafood...
some can be frozen alright but many with loose internal water and their texture changes when they thaw (some turn to mush, some become very sensitive to overcooking into a rubbery mass etc)
I'd try larger fish where you have no bones...such as a slab of tuna, swordfish, etc.
Also I'd lean toward whitefish (Cod or Halibut) if you are finding things too fishy tasting....bit of butter and lemon...done
In general seafood is more highly sensitive to quality (and thus price) scaling so that isn't fun.

Arcane_Secrets
2020-07-10, 04:45 PM
You will probably be saddened to hear I like eating the skin and bones of the fish. Very healthy and I like the crispiness.

Isn't that bad for your stomach/intestines?

Tvtyrant
2020-07-10, 07:26 PM
Isn't that bad for your stomach/intestines?

No, both are quite healthy for you. Fishbones are an excellent source of calcium for instance.

Arcane_Secrets
2020-07-11, 08:48 PM
No, both are quite healthy for you. Fishbones are an excellent source of calcium for instance.

So there's no risk that they'll cut the stomach up? They're too small for that?

Civis Mundi
2020-07-11, 11:01 PM
That's another vote for "no sour cream/cream cheese/mayo/et c." for me. Weirdly, yogurt does not violate this rule, nor does tzatziki. I don't know why.

I don't like the texture of mushrooms, and I find there's a taste I dislike as well unless they're cooked down. I like them as a savory component when they are cooked down though, love a good chanterelle soup.

I used to be really picky as a kid, but have enjoyed becoming a more adventurous eater as an adult. I still draw the line at organ meat, blood sausage, and things of that nature.

EDIT:

And holy cow, this sounds amazing.

tomandtish
2020-07-12, 04:09 PM

Truth. Tofu shouldn't be used as a meat alternative, it should be used as its own ingredient.

Very much this. I'm perfectly fine with tofu (and some of the other meat substitutes. Where they run into problems is naming the dish after the meat they are replacing in the first place. Jack-fruit brisket taste good to me, but the texture in no way resembles brisket and the taste (again while good) doesn't taste like brisket except for sauce and spices). Same for tofurkey. Call it by it's own unique name, because when you try and make me think I'm getting the meat by naming it that way, I'm more likely to be critical.

Tvtyrant
2020-07-12, 04:41 PM
So there's no risk that they'll cut the stomach up? They're too small for that?

I haven't heard of that happening. I know the bones can stick in your throat, but I doubt a fish bone is much more dangerous then a carrot (I have almost died eating a carrot before though.)

factotum
2020-07-13, 01:25 AM
I haven't heard of that happening. I know the bones can stick in your throat, but I doubt a fish bone is much more dangerous then a carrot (I have almost died eating a carrot before though.)

People have choked to death on fish bones, so you can't be 100% sure about them. Mind you, you can technically choke to death on pretty much anything that isn't chewed down properly to fit in your gullet...

Tvtyrant
2020-07-13, 01:12 PM
People have choked to death on fish bones, so you can't be 100% sure about them. Mind you, you can technically choke to death on pretty much anything that isn't chewed down properly to fit in your gullet...

Yeah, darn voicebox turning our throats into a death trap. Actually the whole airhole in the mouth seems like a bad plan overall, why not just make bigger noses and seal that entrance?

Peelee
2020-07-13, 01:14 PM
Yeah, darn voicebox turning our throats into a death trap. Actually the whole airhole in the mouth seems like a bad plan overall, why not just make bigger noses and seal that entrance?

I, for one, appreciate that mildly cold weather or spicy food don't result in me dying of asphyxiation.

warty goblin
2020-07-13, 04:05 PM
I, for one, appreciate that mildly cold weather or spicy food don't result in me dying of asphyxiation.

Also being able to pull enough air to actually do physically demanding activities. Absent that we would have all been sabertooth chow a long time ago.

Which would be very effective protection against fishbones. 100% of people devoured alive by predators have not died from choking on bones, so soak yourself in BBQ sauce and get preyed on today! It's the only way to safe.

Bartmanhomer
2020-07-14, 01:16 AM
I don't like Carmel. That's my least favorite food. :yuk:

clingydreamers
2020-07-16, 06:06 PM
green beans. I know my girlfriend's going to secretly add them to the shopping cart. >_<

Wizard_Lizard
2020-07-21, 10:00 PM
Also being able to pull enough air to actually do physically demanding activities. Absent that we would have all been sabertooth chow a long time ago.

Which would be very effective protection against fishbones. 100% of people devoured alive by predators have not died from choking on bones, so soak yourself in BBQ sauce and get preyed on today! It's the only way to safe.

Why not expand that logic to everything? No more problems with no more existence am I right?

Tvtyrant
2020-07-21, 10:04 PM
Why not expand that logic to everything? No more problems with no more existence am I right?

Rand Al'Thor has entered the chat.

understatement
2020-07-28, 06:46 PM
I hate all the food which is spicy as hell... there are a lot of such positions in Mexican cuisine.

You haven't tried Sichuan food yet? I can faithfully testify that it actually burns the tongue.

Spike_99
2020-07-28, 08:35 PM
I truly hate 4 things:

cilantro
walnuts
dried coconut which people foolishly add to chocolate, cakes, cookies, etc. : I actually kinda like fresh coconut
anise or anything that tastes like it: ouzo, black licorice, anisette, fennel....

Hagashager
2020-07-29, 03:01 PM
Soups, chowders and stews. To a lesser extent foods that are absolutely drenched in sauce.

As a child all I could eat were cans of Campbell's. It got so tiresome that I now have a knee-jerk gag towards soups. When I was slightly older and able to eat solids my family were the type to have absolutely everything back stroking in some paste or sauce.

We did not have Spaghetti and Meatballs, we had tomato sauce with a bit of pasta and some meat. We did not have BBQ ribs with a rub, we had a rub with a rib floating at the top.

And it was still not enough sauce.

When I was in High School my aunt finally told my father he was not invited to the cousin's thanksgiving potluck if he complained even once to my aunt that there was not enough sauce.

My father managed to get us kicked out of my aunt's wedding reception the following year after he grumbled about how the wedding's catering service didn't put enough sauces in the pasta dishes.

The end result for me is that I gag when something's drenched in fluids.

tomandtish
2020-07-29, 03:40 PM
Soups, chowders and stews. To a lesser extent foods that are absolutely drenched in sauce.

As a child all I could eat were cans of Campbell's. It got so tiresome that I now have a knee-jerk gag towards soups. When I was slightly older and able to eat solids my family were the type to have absolutely everything back stroking in some paste or sauce.

We did not have Spaghetti and Meatballs, we had tomato sauce with a bit of pasta and some meat. We did not have BBQ ribs with a rub, we had a rub with a rib floating at the top.

First several years of my life were like this. Bean soup for breakfast and lunch, and mac and cheese for dinner. Occasionally with a little tuna fish (still love tuna mac). But canned bean soup is a definite no-no for me.

Things got a little better when we moved to Texas in 74, and much better in 1980.

MCollarsen
2020-09-02, 05:27 PM
Reheated Pizza with mushrooms and anchovies

ForzaFiori
2020-09-24, 05:09 PM
My absolute most hated food is mushrooms. I hate the taste, the texture, and the entire idea of eating something that grows in rotting things and excrement.

To a lesser extent, I have a distate for fish (though not other seafood - I love to eat crustaceans, and when I tried alligator it was amazing), cottage cheese, pickles (weirdly, only pickled cucumbers - I love other picked things), and basil (well, I don't mind it when it is used lightly, but almost every time I've seen it used, it just overpowers the dish).

Rynjin
2020-09-24, 06:56 PM
My absolute most hated food is mushrooms. I hate... the entire idea of eating something that grows in rotting things and excrement.

I hate to break it to you, but this describes most vegetables and fruits.

SallyOsaku
2020-09-24, 09:53 PM
As a Japanese, I don't know why I hate natto

ForzaFiori
2020-09-25, 07:31 AM
I hate to break it to you, but this describes most vegetables and fruits.

There are usually more steps between the rotting material and my food for non-fungi food material. There is a difference between saprophytes (fungi growing directly in decaying matter, as opposed to those fungi that grow in a symbiotic relationship with a plant) and the fact that you fertilize a field with manure, where it mixes with a variety of other things and is simply improving the soil which the plant grows in - at least in my mind.

In other words, I've never seen a tomato grow directly out of a cow patty or rotting log. Even if it did, the part you eat is not the part that is actually IN the manure. I can't say the same thing for mushrooms. and I know that those ones may not be the ones we eat, but its the ones I was exposed to as a child, so its what my mind brings up when it hears "mushroom."

Soliloquyz
2020-09-25, 10:42 PM
Any food that has pickles, is what I don't like the most. I just can't stand pickles.

ehsanmaster
2020-09-26, 08:21 AM
Any food that has Celery!! I really hate it :smallyuk: but as I know it good for fitness

Velaryon
2020-09-29, 09:05 AM
Any food that has pickles, is what I don't like the most. I just can't stand pickles.

My ex used to call pickles "cucumbers soaked in evil." While I actually like pickles, I always thought that was funny. Whereas I'm not a fan of plain cucumbers (not strong enough to hate them, but I generally prefer to eat something else), so I guess they aren't evil enough for me.

Stattick
2020-09-30, 02:04 AM
My ex used to call pickles "cucumbers soaked in evil." While I actually like pickles, I always thought that was funny. Whereas I'm not a fan of plain cucumbers (not strong enough to hate them, but I generally prefer to eat something else), so I guess they aren't evil enough for me.

I agree with her, with the exception of dill pickles. Those I can tolerate. But sweet pickles or anything like that are just awful.

Velaryon
2020-10-11, 11:10 PM
I agree with her, with the exception of dill pickles. Those I can tolerate. But sweet pickles or anything like that are just awful.

She meant it for dill pickles too.

I agree sweet pickles are nasty, but dill pickles are awesome.

goodalignment
2020-10-13, 03:31 AM
I really dont like the exotic Chinese/Asian foods !

Shirow
2020-10-13, 09:18 AM
Natto is OK, spicy food is tolerable as long as it is not sichuan or the extra spicy korean/thai ones.

But my real bane is ... PAPAYAAAAAAA

wheelmaker
2020-11-10, 11:04 AM
Any brains or testies are a no go.
I don't care if it is a delicacy somewhere. I aint eatin it!

tomandtish
2020-11-11, 11:19 AM
Any brains or testies are a no go.
I don't care if it is a delicacy somewhere. I aint eatin it!

I've had the Rocky Mountain oysters. They were fried, and were actually pretty good.

denthor
2020-11-11, 11:23 AM
Shrimp crab and lobster.

I can not stand spicy hot Tabasco sauce tapatio

NovenFromTheSun
2020-12-02, 04:07 AM
Tomatoes, I feel like gaging whenever they're in my mouth, even if I don't really taste them.

Vizzerdrix
2020-12-05, 06:25 AM
Lettuce. I hate it for being blander than water.

Yora
2020-12-05, 07:32 AM
Sweet potatoes. Neither sweet, not potatoes. All awful.

warty goblin
2020-12-05, 12:29 PM
Sweet potatoes. Neither sweet, not potatoes. All awful.

This I will second. Sweet potato fries in particular are just the worst. French fries are amazing, and then I get these sad, gummy, cloying things, congealing into putty on my plate. Blegh.

sktarq
2020-12-05, 12:56 PM
Meh I agree about sweet potato fries but a baked or mashed sweet potato is a horse of a different colour. I still prefer a Yukon (or even russet) but it is far less objectionable cooked that way and could even recommend to some people. In a similar way i can not recommend deep fried preparations of blue/purple potatoes, I find they have a similar way of becoming oily/cloying that I find off-putting.

And must say:

Pumpkin spice/Xmas Spice mixes. Good grief the smell alone is painful. why? people why?

Razade
2020-12-06, 12:18 AM
I'll go all in on the sweet potato hate. I hate their texture, that gritty stringy mush. I hate how they smell when they're baked in the oven. I hate the oozing burnt syrup that inevitably results from said baking. I hate sweet potato fries, I hate sweet potato casserole. If sweet potatoes were a sentient species I'd make it my life's work to bring them to extinction. Same goes with squash and its myriad of forms of squash except for zucchini. I'm ok with that.

Rynjin
2020-12-07, 05:25 PM
Pumpkin spice/Xmas Spice mixes. Good grief the smell alone is painful. why? people why?

Out of curiosity, do you also hate apple pie? Because literally the only difference is the addition of a sprinkle of ginger in the former.

Razade
2020-12-07, 05:40 PM
I don't know of any apple pie recipe that calls for cloves, which is something called for in pumpkin pie. I'm sure you could put clove in an apple pie, but it's not a traditional spice in them. Pumpkin Pie spice is clove, nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, and sometimes allspice. Apple pie is just generally nutmeg and cinnamon.

sktarq
2020-12-07, 05:48 PM
Traditional apple pie? Not my thing. At all. But "apple pie" is rarely added to everything or blow into the air as perfume like pumpkin spice is.

i really dislike cinnamon and allspice

Ginger? Doable but in small doses
Nutmeg? Eh prefer mace tbh and cut it by 50-75% in what is called for but at the lower levels quite nice...horribly overwhelming otherwise. As in painful. In some cases I need a 90% cut.

Clove? i like clove...but still often use it lightly. Like 20-50% cut

Mostly it the demon insecticide bark that I loathe.

Rynjin
2020-12-07, 07:19 PM
I don't know of any apple pie recipe that calls for cloves, which is something called for in pumpkin pie. I'm sure you could put clove in an apple pie, but it's not a traditional spice in them. Pumpkin Pie spice is clove, nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, and sometimes allspice. Apple pie is just generally nutmeg and cinnamon.

I've never put cloves in pumpkin pie, and store bought pumpkin pie spice doesn't include it either, at least the ones I buy.

Traditional apple pie? Not my thing. At all. But "apple pie" is rarely added to everything or blow into the air as perfume like pumpkin spice is.

i really dislike cinnamon and allspice

Ginger? Doable but in small doses
Nutmeg? Eh prefer mace tbh and cut it by 50-75% in what is called for but at the lower levels quite nice...horribly overwhelming otherwise. As in painful. In some cases I need a 90% cut.

Clove? i like clove...but still often use it lightly. Like 20-50% cut

Mostly it the demon insecticide bark that I loathe.

FWIW I don't like the smell of those damn cinnamon brooms either, they're so cloying and strong. But the spice is different when ground or dried as sticks. It's cinnamon OIL that is so ridiculously foul smelling.

I look a bit askance at throwing nutmeg and mace into the same category, though. They taste nothing alike to me.

Razade
2020-12-07, 07:34 PM
I've never put cloves in pumpkin pie, and store bought pumpkin pie spice doesn't include it either, at least the ones I buy.

I don't know what pumpkin spice you're buying but it's so common it's even on the Wikipedia entry (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumpkin_pie_spice). It's in the Simply Organic mix (https://www.simplyorganic.com/simply-organic-pumpkin-pie-spice-0-46-oz/) (fairly popular in the States). The Amazon brand has it (https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Brand-Happy-Pumpkin-Ounces/dp/B07W2VY2NQ) (also caraway and coriander seed...which is weird to me but w/e). The Kroger Brand has it (https://www.kroger.com/p/kroger-pumpkin-pie-spice/0001111068339), which is a massive supermarket chain in the US and also owns Fry's which carries Kroger brand stuff. So does Spice Island (https://www.spiceislands.com/product/pumpkin-pie-spice), a "higher end" spice choice in supermarkets in the US. Penzeys, which is a really upmarket spice puveyor that I use as a chef, has it (https://www.penzeys.com/online-catalog/pumpkin-pie-spice/c-24/p-258/pd-s). As predicted that some people might put clove in an apple pie, Penzey's does put clove in their apple pie mix. That's strange to me, but it is what it is. Frontier Co-Op also has Cloves on their recipe list (https://www.frontiercoop.com/frontier-co-op-pumpkin-pie-spice-organic-1-lb/). Starbucks, a national chain, includes it in their mix as well.
(https://athome.starbucks.com/recipe/pumpkin-spice-latte/)
The only big time spice mix I found that doesn't use cloves in their pumpkin spice blend is McCormick which I can only assume is because

1. McCormick is about as cheap as you can get with spices
2. McCormick's spices are some of the worst quality you can get because 1.

Which brand are you using, I'm honestly really curious now.

sktarq
2020-12-07, 07:55 PM
FWIW I don't like the smell of those damn cinnamon brooms either, they're so cloying and strong. But the spice is different when ground or dried as sticks. It's cinnamon OIL that is so ridiculously foul smelling.

I look a bit askance at throwing nutmeg and mace into the same category, though. They taste nothing alike to me.

Well I think of mace as nutmeg's better half really. Brothers but not twins. And in many situations mace makes a wonderful substitution for nutmeg.

And I think ground/stick cinnamon to be nearly as foul, personally. But YMMV

Rynjin
2020-12-07, 08:32 PM
I don't know what pumpkin spice you're buying but it's so common it's even on the Wikipedia entry (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumpkin_pie_spice). It's in the Simply Organic mix (https://www.simplyorganic.com/simply-organic-pumpkin-pie-spice-0-46-oz/) (fairly popular in the States). The Amazon brand has it (https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Brand-Happy-Pumpkin-Ounces/dp/B07W2VY2NQ) (also caraway and coriander seed...which is weird to me but w/e). The Kroger Brand has it (https://www.kroger.com/p/kroger-pumpkin-pie-spice/0001111068339), which is a massive supermarket chain in the US and also owns Fry's which carries Kroger brand stuff. So does Spice Island (https://www.spiceislands.com/product/pumpkin-pie-spice), a "higher end" spice choice in supermarkets in the US. Penzeys, which is a really upmarket spice puveyor that I use as a chef, has it (https://www.penzeys.com/online-catalog/pumpkin-pie-spice/c-24/p-258/pd-s). As predicted that some people might put clove in an apple pie, Penzey's does put clove in their apple pie mix. That's strange to me, but it is what it is. Frontier Co-Op also has Cloves on their recipe list (https://www.frontiercoop.com/frontier-co-op-pumpkin-pie-spice-organic-1-lb/). Starbucks, a national chain, includes it in their mix as well.
(https://athome.starbucks.com/recipe/pumpkin-spice-latte/)
The only big time spice mix I found that doesn't use cloves in their pumpkin spice blend is McCormick which I can only assume is because

1. McCormick is about as cheap as you can get with spices
2. McCormick's spices are some of the worst quality you can get because 1.

Which brand are you using, I'm honestly really curious now.

I'll use either McCormick's ready made stuff or just assemble the spices individually. Pretty much all spice mixes taste exactly the same to me, no matter the brand. Ground spices are ground spices, pretty much.

Peelee
2020-12-08, 12:10 AM
I'll use either McCormick's ready made stuff or just assemble the spices individually. Pretty much all spice mixes taste exactly the same to me, no matter the brand. Ground spices are ground spices, pretty much.

Are we including seasoned salts as spice mixes? Because if so, it's Lawry's or get out of my kitchen.

Rynjin
2020-12-08, 12:51 AM
Don't really truck with seasoned salts, since I use very little salt when cooking generally.

Razade
2020-12-08, 01:03 AM
Are we including seasoned salts as spice mixes? Because if so, it's Lawry's or get out of my kitchen.

I'd toss you out if you brought a McCormick spice jar into my house personally. They don't even put cloves in their pumpkin spice mix.

Peelee
2020-12-08, 01:18 AM
I'd toss you out if you brought a McCormick spice jar into my house personally. They don't even put cloves in their pumpkin spice mix.

Other than that they bought Lawry's, I could take or leave McCormick. Though I also don't ever buy pumpkin spice mix.

Tvtyrant
2020-12-08, 10:51 AM

The solution is clearly two nosi.

Peelee
2020-12-08, 01:02 PM
The solution is clearly two nosi.

Two noses are only acceptable of each one has only one large nostril.

Cygnia
2020-12-08, 01:38 PM

I blended my own spice mix when I made speculoos. This is when I found out how pricey mace is.

Peelee
2020-12-08, 01:38 PM
I blended my own spice mix when I made speculoos. This is when I found out how pricey mace is.

I prefer greataxe.

Tvtyrant
2020-12-08, 02:01 PM
Two noses are only acceptable of each one has only one large nostril.

I don't think how many nostrils someone has is any of my business.

Stattick
2020-12-22, 06:30 AM
Broccoli and pineapple pizza. Every time I have a question in my head "why would someone come up with this?"

Yeah, pineapple pizza is pretty bad. I can't imagine how much worse it would be if you also put broccoli on it.

DwarvenWarCorgi
2020-12-24, 09:54 PM

They ferment the pineapple first. Also pineapple has bromelein, a natural meat tenderizer.

Personally, I love almost everything you all say you hate. My hates are all texture based, have met very few flavors I genuinely hated.
Texture wise, my o hell no's are: hard boiled eggs, whole clams, tofu, foodservice grade mayonnaise, and tripe.

DwarvenWarCorgi
2020-12-24, 09:57 PM

Mace is literally the skin of the nutmeg nut

2020-12-28, 04:21 AM
Alcohol. For years, every time I do a thing with more than a couple other people for a little while, including just going to do some D&D, I'll end up getting recommended that I try some alcoholic beverage or drink mix or whatever that somebody else is having. It tastes like paint thinner smells, every time. Doesn't matter that it got mixed with my favorite drink in the world and is like 1% alcoholic beverage, doesn't matter that it's a well-aged ****in whatever, doesn't matter if it's so basic that literally everybody enjoys it by default, doesn't matter that it's essentially alcoholic water, it all tastes awful. And I feel kinda bad for my friends who really enjoy drinking cuz I can't tell if I'm the weirdo who can't enjoy literally anything like that and I'm kinda being a buzzkill for not drinking, or if my taste is correct and they're just suffering from a mix of addiction and stockholm syndrome.

Larbek24
2020-12-28, 05:27 PM
I dislike paprika and I hate that most vegetables taste like paprika if you keep them near paprika.

Rynjin
2021-01-03, 08:55 PM
Well, for most things that call for bell peppers in high quantities they're kind of meant to be the main focus of the dish. Like paprikash.

Razade
2021-01-03, 09:24 PM
Well, for most things that call for bell peppers in high quantities they're kind of meant to be the main focus of the dish. Like paprikash.

In the continued question of "what is Rynjin eating and where"....where are you eating paprikash with bell peppers? The paprika spice isn't made out of bell peppers, they're made out of a different cultivator of Annum which aren't actually Bell Peppers. Having grown up eating paprikash at least once a month from actual Hungarian immigrants...I've never heard of it having any veggie other than onion and tomato.

Rynjin
2021-01-04, 01:25 AM
In the continued question of "what is Rynjin eating and where"....where are you eating paprikash with bell peppers? The paprika spice isn't made out of bell peppers, they're made out of a different cultivator of Annum which aren't actually Bell Peppers. Having grown up eating paprikash at least once a month from actual Hungarian immigrants...I've never heard of it having any veggie other than onion and tomato.

Every paprikash recipe I have ever seen has included bell peppers, and lots of them (at least one whole one, sometimes two). I never said paprika and bell peppers were the same thing.

Razade
2021-01-04, 01:52 AM
You live in a strange world of food. No recipe of Pumpkin Pie with cloves, literally one of the standard spices of Pumpkin Pie spice. Bell peppers in a dish that doesn't traditionally call for them. Does your cooking world tell you to use zucchini in a mirepoix too?

Rynjin
2021-01-04, 07:22 AM
Literally even the Wikipedia page for paprikash lists bell peppers as one of the primary ingredients. Quit with this food elitist bull****, it's borderline flaming.

flat_footed
2021-01-04, 02:24 PM
The Fullmetal Mod: Thread locked for review.