PDA

View Full Version : Increase effective Rebuking level

Yogibear41
2020-06-20, 03:20 AM
Looking for anything and everything that can increase my effective rebuke undead level. More so looking for special abilities than "this prestige class counts toward your effective rebuking level" etc.

Maat Mons
2020-06-20, 03:27 AM
In order to answer that question, we'll need to go way back (https://web.archive.org/web/20151030085507/http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/979911).

Dimers
2020-06-20, 09:24 AM
Probably not relevant, you asked for rebuking level, but there's one thing I know of that isn't on the linked resource: Complete Champion includes nonmagical holy symbols with special effects, including the Ruby Skull of Wee Jas which adds to rebuking damage. Oddly, the War Cross of St. Cuthbert does add to turning level rather than damage. Bit of positive-energy bias, there.

Biggus
2020-06-20, 09:53 AM
As you've probably noticed, a lot of the spells/items/etc which increase turning level don't work for rebuking. Some that do are:

Talisman of Undead Mastery (MIC p.188)

Sceptre of the Netherworld (MIC p.193)

Rod of the Dead (Underdark p.71)

These are all held items though, so unless you have multiple arms you'll only be able to use one at a time.

Maat Mons
2020-06-20, 03:12 PM
I just remembered a big one. The Doomdreamer PrC (from Return to the Temple of elemental Evil) can double your effective level with as few as two levels in the class. It doesn't advance turning though, so you'll max out at (level-2)*2.

Yogibear41
2020-06-20, 03:53 PM
Can an undead creature have negative turn resistance? For example the Rod of Defiance gives undead -4 turn resistance, if they normally don't have turn resistance, would they now have effectively -4 turn resistance or effectively -4 hit dice?

Biggus
2020-06-21, 11:28 AM
Can an undead creature have negative turn resistance? For example the Rod of Defiance gives undead -4 turn resistance, if they normally don't have turn resistance, would they now have effectively -4 turn resistance or effectively -4 hit dice?

The wording in LM is that they "are treated as if they had –4 turn resistance" (emphasis mine) not "their turn resistance is reduced by 4", so I've always assumed that meant they had effectively -4HD if they didn't have TR to start with.

Also in LM (on the next page in fact) we have the Lyre of the Restful Soul, which specifies that it "can lower their effective HD for turning to below their normal HD, but not lower than 1".

Considering that the 'Defiance' property costs more than the 'Restful Soul' property (4,688GP vs 2995GP) it seems likely that the rod is intended to be able to give negative effective HD too.

darkdragoon
2020-06-21, 06:03 PM
Mace of the Dark Children / Mace of the Darkchildren- there's some differences in the Magic of Faerun and MIC versions.

Biggus
2020-06-21, 09:12 PM
Mace of the Dark Children / Mace of the Darkchildren- there's some differences in the Magic of Faerun and MIC versions.

Ooh, that's a new one on me, thanks *adds to list*