PDA

View Full Version : Earliest possible way to qualify for Oozemaster PrC

Ooze
2020-06-20, 04:49 PM
I need some help, i recall seeing a post that i can no longer find stating you can qualify for Oozemaster at after level 1 with the right feats, could anyone actually spell out how that's possible

Falontani
2020-06-20, 04:55 PM
Obviously the skills are easy, and Great Fortitude is easy enough. But getting third level spells at first level... That is an impressive trick if you can find one that works. I could do second level spells legitimately quite easily (precocious apprentice). I could do second level arcane and divine with 2 levels. But third level spellcasting at first....
I think there was a leapfrog method which required retraining that didn't exactly work like the proposed theory thought it would; but even then that required a large sum of feats, which even with a human and flaws doesn't seem plausible at first level...

I'm stumped.

daremetoidareyo
2020-06-20, 05:48 PM
Talifirian song human bard?

Thurbane
2020-06-20, 05:50 PM
I was going to suggest getting someone to cast Imbue with Spell Ability (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/imbueWithSpellAbility.htm) on you, but that only gives spells up to 2nd level.

It's also limited by the recipients HD, which I had failed to notice.

Would a Ring of Spell Storing (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rings.htm#spellStoringMajor) work? I'm pretty sure items can be used to qualify for PrCs. It would be well beyond WBL, though.

WhamBamSam
2020-06-20, 07:46 PM
A Human or Strongheart Halfling with two flaws can DMM Heighten to 3rds and take Far Horizons to get Swim as a class skill as a Cleric of Fharlanghn.

Nifft
2020-06-20, 10:47 PM
Obviously the skills are easy, and Great Fortitude is easy enough. But getting third level spells at first level... That is an impressive trick if you can find one that works. I could do second level spells legitimately quite easily (precocious apprentice). I could do second level arcane and divine with 2 levels. But third level spellcasting at first....
I think there was a leapfrog method which required retraining that didn't exactly work like the proposed theory thought it would; but even then that required a large sum of feats, which even with a human and flaws doesn't seem plausible at first level...

I'm stumped. Earth Spell + Heighten + Precocious Apprentice could do it, if only you were allowed to prepare a Heightened 1st level spell in the 2nd level PA slot.

What if you could just get the same spell as 1st level and 2nd level?

Earth Sense + Earth Spell + Heighten Spell + Precocious Apprentice (hideous laughter) + Extra Spell (Bard 1 hideous laughter)

Then you prepare a Heightened hideous laughter in your 2nd level slot, and Earth Spell makes it a level 3 spell.

It's expensive, but throwing enough feats at this problem might solve it ... albeit hideously.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-06-20, 11:17 PM
Human Cleric 1 of Fharlanghn. Two flaws. Heighten Spell, Divine Metamagic: Heighten, Far Horizons, Great Fortitude. Take 4 ranks each in Craft: Alchemy and Swim.

Rebel7284
2020-06-20, 11:28 PM
Illumian
- Improved Sigil (Krau)
- Precocious Apprentice
- Great Fortitude

Would meet all the feat and spellcasting requirements within the suggested limit of two flaws, but I am not sure where to find a spellcasting class (outside of UA generic spellcaster) that gets swim as a class skill. You can get all skills via Able Learner since Illumians count as humans, but that's another feat. If you find a way to get Great Fortutude or the Dwarf Domain at level 1, that would free up a feat for able learner.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-06-21, 12:03 AM
Illumian
- Improved Sigil (Krau)
- Precocious Apprentice
- Great Fortitude

Would meet all the feat and spellcasting requirements within the suggested limit of two flaws, but I am not sure where to find a spellcasting class (outside of UA generic spellcaster) that gets swim as a class skill. You can get all skills via Able Learner since Illumians count as humans, but that's another feat. If you find a way to get Great Fortutude or the Dwarf Domain at level 1, that would free up a feat for able learner.

Able Learner only makes the skill point cost of purchasing ranks act as though all skills were class skills. It doesn't change your max skill ranks for cross class skills, so you could still only have 2 ranks in Swim at 1st level with that. The only difference is that those two ranks would cost you two skill points instead of four.

Blue Jay
2020-06-21, 12:22 AM
Illumian
- Improved Sigil (Krau)
- Precocious Apprentice
- Great Fortitude

Duskblade has both Craft and Swim.

I'm still a bit unsure, though: the requirement is "ability to cast 3rd-level spells," so is the one spell from Precocious Apprentice enough to meet the requirement?

Saintheart
2020-06-21, 12:49 AM
Cleric 1 + severe depravity out of Heroes of Horror + Mad Faith = able to cast 3rd level divine spells, criterion satisfied.

Rebel7284
2020-06-21, 01:51 AM
Duskblade has both Craft and Swim.

I'm still a bit unsure, though: the requirement is "ability to cast 3rd-level spells," so is the one spell from Precocious Apprentice enough to meet the requirement?

Thanks!

It should be enough, after all, a 6th level Sorcerer also knows only one 3rd level spell.

TheCount
2020-06-21, 04:20 AM
But they get bonus spells per day from their casting stat, no?

Rebel7284
2020-06-21, 09:38 AM
But they get bonus spells per day from their casting stat, no?

Well they could, but
a) Even if they have multiple slots, they are still casting one spell, just multiple times.
b) They might not have bonus slots, I can certainly imagine a gish build with only 13 charisma who went with Stalwart and Battle Sorcerer Alternate class features thus both knowing one spell AND being able to only cast it once.

Clearly scenario b. is rare for sorcerers specifically but comes up for other classes that have fewer spells known or less spells per day.

While the rules do not spell it out with 100% certainty, there is pretty much a consensus that being able to cast even one spell of the correct level, even once per day, qualifies.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-06-21, 10:05 AM
Ability to cast X level spells can be met by a Wizard 5 with only a single 3rd level slot and a single 3rd level spell known. He can cast that spell today and also tomorrow and the next day. You only wouldn't meet that requirement if you're only able to cast a single 3rd level spell one time ever.

Kalkra
2020-06-21, 11:06 AM
Cleric 1 + severe depravity out of Heroes of Horror + Mad Faith = able to cast 3rd level divine spells, criterion satisfied.

Eldritch Corruption also works, if you cant arcane spells. You can get corruption with Necropolitician, or a bought-off level of Ghost, both of which could leave you at level one, or you could just get tainted.