PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Nothic Race

JNAProductions
2020-06-20, 09:03 PM
Nothic

Ability Score Increase
Accursed scholars of arcane lore, Nothics are brighter than average. Your Intelligence increases by 1. Beyond that, Nothics are quite varied-you may increase any one physical stat by 1 and any one mental stat by 1. (This can stack with your initial +1 to Intelligence, for a total of +2.)

Size
Your size is Medium.

Speed
Your speed is 30'.

Enhanced Vision
You can see in the dark, in color, out to 60'. Furthermore, you have advantage on saves or checks made regarding visual illusions.

Weird Insight
You gain proficiency in the Insight skill. Furthermore, as an action, you can target one creature within 30' you can see. Make a Wisdom (Insight) check as opposed by their Charisma (Deception). If you succeed, you automatically learn one fact or secret about the target. Creatures that are immune to being charmed are immune to this effect, and a creature that is forced to make the save (succeed or fail) is immune to this ability until they complete a rest.

Rotting Gaze
You can, as an action, target one foe you can see within 30' of you. They must make a Constitution save against a DC of 8+your Intelligence modifier+your proficiency bonus. On a failure, they take 3d6 points of necrotic damage. This increases by 2d4 at levels 5, 11, and 17.

Amechra
2020-06-20, 10:25 PM
So... Rotting Gaze. Why did you go with 2d4, and not, say, 1d8?

Also, creatures that have Charm Immunity should be immune to Weird Insight - the monster has that clause in its version of the ability.

JNAProductions
2020-06-20, 10:27 PM
So... Rotting Gaze. Why did you go with 2d4, and not, say, 1d8?

Also, creatures that have Charm Immunity should be immune to Weird Insight - the monster has that clause in its version of the ability.

Because it's effectively a short-ranged cantrip without a rider. Looking at it, even 2d4 feels a little low-compare to Toll The Dead.

For the second comment, yup, makes sense. That's me goofing.

Amechra
2020-06-20, 10:59 PM
Because it's effectively a short-ranged cantrip without a rider. Looking at it, even 2d4 feels a little low-compare to Toll The Dead.

I was just wondering why you decided to make it 2dX and not just a bigger die. I know that that's more consistent, damage-wise, but it also feels a bit off.

JNAProductions
2020-06-20, 11:06 PM
I was just wondering why you decided to make it 2dX and not just a bigger die. I know that that's more consistent, damage-wise, but it also feels a bit off.

To give d4s some love? I honestly couldn't tell you, but it felt right.

Grod_The_Giant
2020-07-03, 10:28 AM
As a player race, I'd suggest some sort of limit on Weird Gaze to prevent spamming it on the same target-- maybe something like "succeed or fail, the creature can't be affected by this ability until you complete a long rest."

Rotting Gaze is under-strength for a cantrip equivalent-- given that the rest of the race is also on the weak side, I might actually kick it up to the original 3d6.

JNAProductions
2020-07-03, 10:54 AM
As a player race, I'd suggest some sort of limit on Weird Gaze to prevent spamming it on the same target-- maybe something like "succeed or fail, the creature can't be affected by this ability until you complete a long rest."

Rotting Gaze is under-strength for a cantrip equivalent-- given that the rest of the race is also on the weak side, I might actually kick it up to the original 3d6.

Done on the Gaze.

Did something slightly different than what you recommended for the Insight, but should have a good enough effect to limit its spam.

Grod_The_Giant
2020-07-03, 01:39 PM
Done on the Gaze.

Did something slightly different than what you recommended for the Insight, but should have a good enough effect to limit its spam.
Looks good!

(Err, well, the damage increase is still 2d4, but otherwise good)

jjordan
2020-07-03, 01:49 PM
Observations, not criticisms:
-It's hard for me to see nothics reproducing. It's more of a curse inflicted. It would require some serious lore to rectify this for me.
-Without the lore of conventional reproduction I see nothics as being generated characters of a certain level (maybe 6th level is when this becomes a possibility) that have the nothic template applied (losing their special abilities, getting the nothic stat changes, and getting the nothic special abilities).
-I like to modify nothics, the monsters, to be thaumovores. I don't know that this would play well with a PC nothic race, but I mention it.