PDA

View Full Version : If racial stats are open, what combo would you choose?

Scarytincan
2020-06-21, 11:00 AM
I know it's already a moderately common house rule, but if racial stat bonuses officially opened up, what would some of the first builds you would look to try out be? For me, I'd be eyeballing a scourge aasimar way of mercy monk. Gimme that double damaging aura during grapple and some radiant and necrotic extra damage on hits (once per turn each)...

heavyfuel
2020-06-21, 11:21 AM
Mountain Dwarfs would be much much better races now. The current problem with them is that +2 Str has zero synergy with their racial abilities, since most Str based builds already have armor proficiency due to Class and enough Str to not have their speed reduced.

However, if you could have a Mountain Dwarf with +2 Int or +2 Cha, suddenly they become amazing casters.

Mountain Dwarf Wizard, Lore Bard, Sorcerer, and non-hexblade Warlocks would all be incredible!

Alucard89
2020-06-21, 11:47 AM
I would finally play as female half-orc evo Wizard without worrying about my stats.

Or Dwarf Vengeace Paladin.

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-06-21, 12:29 PM
I only played in one game like this, I took a wood elf GOO warlock because it sounds fun to play and my inner minmaxer wasn't able to stop me.

Grim Portent
2020-06-21, 12:45 PM
Cha/Str Hobgoblin or Bugbear Paladin of Conquest, be a self-proclaimed King of Goblins.

ezekielraiden
2020-06-21, 01:02 PM
Dragonborn just about anything. While they're still sharply shortchanged compared to most other races, if you couple the "Draconblood" or "Ravenite" variant from Wildemount and the stat-swapping, you actually have an almost-kinda-sorta approximation of a solid race. It's a utility vs combat decision.

(You could easily fix the standard dragonborn package--which is basically "everything except Resistance" in the original writeup--by adding in a History proficiency, or if that seems too narrow, increasing the amount they heal when rolling their Hit Dice or some other related bonus. Both fixes are rooted in their original 4e mechanics and are hardly super-powerful, but have niche uses. That's a side question though.)

Other than that...well, half-elves are now almost inarguably the best race for anything. Being able to pick +2 to one stat and +1 to two other stats is huge; it guarantees you can get two 16s in point-buy and deal with the ugly point-buy numbers that usually result from that. When layered atop the two bonus skills and the small extra perk of Fey Ancestry, Half-Elf becomes almost inarguably better than standard human (two skills, Darkvision, and a flexible +2 absolutely outrank +1 to all and nothing else.)

Ironically, I almost think this may be what convinces WotC to do a "revision" (almost certainly by some other name)--bog-standard humans are gonna be left in the dust by the likes of Mountain Dwarves and Half-Elves. A fresh, modified printing to "correct our flawed ideas" would let them port in other things I'm sure they've wanted to change (like the Ranger, or Sorcerer subclasses getting free spells) but felt they couldn't because the fanbase is allergic to errata.

MrStabby
2020-06-21, 02:23 PM
Well strike out Yuan-ti anything. I will skip that game thanks.

Gnome cleric or monk would appeal - mentally resilient taken further would appeal.

Goblin whispers bard - if you are going to hit hard, hit very hard.

ProsecutorGodot
2020-06-21, 02:35 PM
Lizardfolk Rogue has been on my radar for a long long time, Dragonborn could work for the character as well.

HolyDraconus
2020-06-21, 02:44 PM
Well strike out Yuan-ti anything. I will skip that game thanks.

Why though? Is Satyrs more your thing?

opaopajr
2020-06-21, 03:04 PM
Can you stack basic human's six +1s, and is there an upper limit to stack? :smallsmile:

If not, then the only thing that matters will be the other racial feats, leading again to Aarakokra, Yuan-Ti, Elves/Half-Elves, etc.

Nothing really interesting to me worth exploring about this, just palette swaps and feature chasing. But others can enjoy their fun. Doesn't affect my play table. :smallcool:

fbelanger
2020-06-21, 03:17 PM
If they want to do a coherent job better remove any proficiency from race. If you remove ability bonus it makes no sense to keep other features that define the race in the same stereotype.

Wizard_Lizard
2020-06-21, 05:36 PM
I'd play a Kalashtar Arcane trickster INT bonus would be nice.

Misterwhisper
2020-06-21, 06:56 PM
If they want to do a coherent job better remove any proficiency from race. If you remove ability bonus it makes no sense to keep other features that define the race in the same stereotype.

Yeah, otherwise there will be a ton of mountain dwarf sorcerers, wizards and maybe warlocks.

2 con 2 casting stat.
Medium armor for free.

Scarytincan
2020-06-21, 07:05 PM
Gnome cleric or monk would appeal - mentally resilient taken further would appeal.

Oo, good point I like that one...

Scarytincan
2020-06-21, 07:19 PM

Some things I can see a case for, like perception for keen senses like elves

Rfkannen
2020-06-22, 12:24 AM
Some fun ones:

Half orc monk is fun, it makes sense lorewise, and the extra crit damage will be good with how many attacks monks get. Also the not dieing ability is good for the squishyness of monk.

Bugbear rogue could be a lot of fun. really lean into the stealth.

goliath druid could be neat, use that defensive ability in wildshape.

hobgoblin sorcerer is basically a single class sorcadin.

Goblins were already pretty good druids, but with +2 wisdom they would make amazing ones.

Comaward
2020-06-22, 05:51 AM
Probably more Hill Dwarves, Dragonborn, Rock Gnomes (I’ve always felt they should have been +2 INT, +1 STR, although I’ve no idea why), and Lizardfolk martial classes.

MaxWilson
2020-06-22, 06:01 AM
From a pure powergaming perspective, human-with-Aarakocra-traits seems like a fairly optimal choice, especially for wizards.

Unlimited freedom leads to GURPS**. Class-, level-, and race-based based systems like D&D are all about constrained optimization.

** I like GURPS, but its chargen has a very different feel from D&D chargen.

Spacehamster
2020-06-22, 08:42 AM
Mountain Dwarf monk with 2AGI, 2WIS. :) 18 both on 4. :)

TigerT20
2020-06-22, 09:26 AM
Orc druid. Drow druid. Warforged druid. Everyone's a druid!

DracoKnight
2020-06-22, 10:49 AM
Githyanki Undying Bladelock of Vlaakith. Is Undying the optimal Bladelock? No, but getting medium armor from Githyanki solves part of that. Plus it's just damn flavorful.

elyktsorb
2020-06-22, 11:30 AM
To turn from races being picked based on ability score, to them being picked based on having good racial abilities.

Joe the Rat
2020-06-22, 11:33 AM
Kobold Warlock, Lizardfolk Artificer, Bog Standard Variant Human Melee Fiend Tomelock...

Basically what I play now. A +2 vs +3 in my primary has never been a gamechanger.

Waterdeep Merch
2020-06-22, 11:43 AM
Kalashtar or Rock Gnome Paladin. The latter I've wanted to do since 5e started, the former is a concept I played in both 3.5 and 4e and adored.

Hill Dwarf Wizard is a favorite, of course.

Wood Elf Knight in heavy armor. More like a Tolkien army elf.

Goblin Paladin in heavy armor. Story of a goblin that rose to be a heroic champion, it's just cool.

Tiefling Arcane Trickster. I'm annoyed by how many hoops you had to jump to make this work in the first place. We didn't need two books of options just to get working ASI's!

OldTrees1
2020-06-22, 11:50 AM
So are the choices:
+1 to all 6
+2 to one, +1 to a 2nd, +1 to a 3rd
+2 to one, +2 to a 2nd
+3 to one (one of the races has +2 to X and then a +1 to any including to X)

+1 to all 6 is probably worth 9 point buy but is slower in the primary. Good for high level games.
+2/+1/+1 and +2/+2 is probably worth 8 point buy. A good standard answer.
+3 is probably only worth 6 point buy but reaches a cap sooner. Good for low level games.

Three ability utilization:
+1 to all 6: 16/16/14/11/10/10
+2/+1/+1: 17/15/14/10/10/10
+3 to one: 18/14/14/10/10/08

rickayelm
2020-06-22, 03:54 PM
Hill dwarf dragon sorcerer, you have almost as many hit points as a fighter.😊

Wizard_Lizard
2020-06-22, 04:11 PM
Hill dwarf dragon sorcerer, you have almost as many hit points as a fighter.😊

and then take the tough feat for MOAR hit points

JellyPooga
2020-06-22, 04:24 PM
Naked Forest Gnome StRogue/Barbarian...rocking that tasty Str build Grapple Rogue, with advantage on mental saves against magic and Barbarian DR. Also...it's a naked Gnome headbutting big-folk in the kneecaps in an incandecent rage. Who makes snide remarks about his companions to any small, fuzzy animals in the vicinity. I also to think of him having a broad scottish accent. What's not to like about it?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-06-22, 04:25 PM
Goblin Warlock, capitalize on the bonus action hide to use EB with advantage. Reflavor whatever patron is picked to the Oogie Boogie Man, as it would work for Fiend, Archfey, or Great Old One.

Mjolnirbear
2020-06-23, 03:04 PM
Mountain Dwarfs would be much much better races now. The current problem with them is that +2 Str has zero synergy with their racial abilities, since most Str based builds already have armor proficiency due to Class and enough Str to not have their speed reduced.

However, if you could have a Mountain Dwarf with +2 Int or +2 Cha, suddenly they become amazing casters.

Mountain Dwarf Wizard, Lore Bard, Sorcerer, and non-hexblade Warlocks would all be incredible!

Mountain dwarves are *supposed* to be martial. But as you've surmised, their abilities are rather pointless since a martial character already gets it.

My solutions was to replace racial weapon proficiencies with a superiority die and a maneuver. And racial armour proficiencies are replaced with a +1 bonus when wearing that armour.

That way martials actually get a bonus for playing a martial race. Spellcasters still get a bonus, it's just not as insanely useful. Feats or multiclassing become the only way to get armour proficiencies.

Mjolnirbear
2020-06-23, 03:07 PM
Goblin Warlock, capitalize on the bonus action hide to use EB with advantage. Reflavor whatever patron is picked to the Oogie Boogie Man, as it would work for Fiend, Archfey, or Great Old One.

... Am I the only one bothered by "jack-in-the-box hiding"?

ProsecutorGodot
2020-06-23, 03:46 PM
... Am I the only one bothered by "jack-in-the-box hiding"?

I've seen a lot of houserules about requiring a new hiding spot on different attempts, so probably not.

It doesn't seem wholly effective for EB either, I believe (although I could be mistaken) with the way beams work you're revealed after the first, meaning the rest aren't at advantage.

heavyfuel
2020-06-23, 03:49 PM
I've seen a lot of houserules about requiring a new hiding spot on different attempts, so probably not.

It doesn't seem wholly effective for EB either, I believe (although I could be mistaken) with the way beams work you're revealed after the first, meaning the rest aren't at advantage.

I don't think this needs a houserule. That's precisely what Dis/Advantage is for. Say the enemies are expecting you to be in that general direction and that they gain +5 to passive perception. Suddenly Jack-in-a-box hiding is going to be avoided.

CheddarChampion
2020-06-24, 01:31 AM
I think a stoutheart halfling for any class could be good. Reroll 1's, poison resistance.

For fun/rp, I'd play as a centaur samurai with a longbow, a hill dwarf monster slayer with twf axes, a wood elf ancients paladin, a ghostwise halfling arcane trickster, or a goliath stone sorcerer.

Lycurgon
2020-06-24, 05:56 AM
A Dwarven Artificer - I think dwarves suit being artifact crafters.

Halfling Barbarian - tiny but mighty.

Halfling Strength Paladin - tiny but smitey.

sambojin
2020-06-24, 08:06 PM
Just swapping Firbolg's +1Str over to +1Cha, so it fits their talk-to-animals racial advantage better. +2Wis, +1Cha, double carry capacity is just really good for most things.

Plus, then you could play Cha casters as well as still being awesome druids/ clerics. And have a 240lb carry as a dump stat.

(they make surprisingly good Str martials as they are, but Charisma based characters are more fun).

airless_wing
2020-06-26, 10:43 AM
Assuming it would fit the setting, I'd immediately roll up a Githyanki Kensai monk; finally scratch the itch to properly play The Stranger from Furi.
Yes, I could just go Human and be The Edge, but that's just not the same.

Ogre Mage
2020-06-27, 06:16 AM
I would play a Mountain Dwarf abjuration wizard with +2 Int, +2 Con and 14 Dex with medium armor + shield. I would also take the shield spell. Add arcane ward on top of all that and it would be GLORIOUS! :smallbiggrin:

Jaryn
2020-06-27, 07:09 AM
Probably a high elven ancients paladin or bard of some kind would be top of the list for me.

AttilatheYeon
2020-06-27, 12:34 PM
I mean who doesn't want an optimized rock gnome bard ;-)

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-06-27, 02:35 PM
I would play a Mountain Dwarf abjuration wizard with +2 Int, +2 Con and 14 Dex with medium armor + shield. I would also take the shield spell. Add arcane ward on top of all that and it would be GLORIOUS! :smallbiggrin:

Mountain Dwarf doesn't get shield proficiency.

bid
2020-06-27, 03:00 PM
Mountain Dwarf doesn't get shield proficiency.
Yep. That's what make this racial no better than fluff.

diplomancer
2020-06-27, 03:23 PM
Yep. That's what make this racial no better than fluff.

"No better than fluff" to have as much as +5, with magical items, to your AC with the same dex score, while not having to use a spell slot?

But for the player who wants the Abjurer Dwarf wizard, check the Mark of Warding Dwarf. Talk of a beautiful race/class combination!

False God
2020-06-27, 05:35 PM
I would probably be more inclined to overlook racial abilities and pick a race that fit the overall theme and concept of the character, rather than worry about getting a +2 to my good stat.

2D8HP
2020-06-27, 06:35 PM
"Later this year, we will release a product (not yet announced) that offers a way for a player to customize their character’s origin, including the option to change the ability score increases that come from being an elf, a dwarf, or one of D&D's many other playable folk. This option emphasizes that each person in the game is an individual with capabilities all their own"

I've mostly played human fighters and elvish fighter/rogues in 5e, I suppose I'd play more human rogues, and more half-orcs?