PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Overhauled the Warlock

Chaosmancer
2020-06-21, 06:14 PM
So, about six months ago I went on a spree of overhauling, fixing, and compiling every single class and subclass in the game. It started because I wanted to fix capstones and then I started including homebrew rules I had made and just exploded.

Today, I felt motivated to go back and fix the Hexblade, but as I did so and started a few other warlock changes I felt a desire to get feedback on all of this. So, there are going to be a series of posts, and I plan to talk about why I did what I did it.

This post is going to cover a few generic things and the Pact Boons.

1) I slightly increased the spell slots. Getting a fifth slot at 14th and a sixth at 18th. I just didn't like never getting more than a 4th slot.

2) All of the patron spells were automatically put on their spell lists. Just like cleric domain spells. Every single player I ever had thought that was RAW, and it is such a minor increase in power most of the time, I was fine with it. I mostly mention it because that explains some of the changes I made to those spells, especially for the former Hexblade.

Here is the new Capstone:

At 20th level, you have become a player in the great games of ancient powers, either by serving your Patron or usurping them.

You can cast Plane Shift once per short rest to travel a plane aligned with your patron. Additionally, your continued exposure to forces beyond the mundane world have left their mark upon you, giving you a +2 to Charisma and raising you ability score cap to 24.

Finally, drawing upon your wealth of connections and favors, you can auction off your health and power. As a bonus action you can either expend a Pact Magic spell slot to gain 4 Hit Dice (which you may spend immediately), or 4 Hit dice to regain a Pact Magic Spell slot.

The original ability essentially allowed you to fast short rest only to restore your spells. Which is fine but misses a few things. One, that is something that people have generally found a solution to by level 10. By level 20 you need more than that. Two, it misses the flavor of the Warlock.

See, by level 20 one of two things has generally happened. Either you have defeated your patron and no longer serve them, or you are pretty much all in on their plots and plans and are one of their most powerful lieutenants. Either way, Plane Shift is something you desperately need by that point. You need to be either visiting the realm you now control, or you need to be going to talk to your boss. Increasing Charisma is just a nice little boon.

The big thing, in my opinion, is the auction. This feels like it fits more with the type of dealmaker that Warlock's are. "Hey, I need health now, I'll give you some of my magical power in exchange."
"Oh crap, need that spell back, I'll give you a sliver of my soul in exchange"

Additionally, since it is only a bonus action, it can be done mid-combat as an emergency button.

I am aware that this is very powerful outside of combat. You could spend all six spell slots, recover 24d10 health and then take a short rest to recover all your spell slots. That is bonkers. It is also level 20 and warlock's more than any fit well into this style. You don't push them to breaking, and you give them a chance to start calling in favors? They are going to be crazy strong

Now for the Pact Boons
You gain proficiency with medium armor and shields. Additionally, you can use your bonus action to create a pact weapon in your empty hand. You can choose the form that this melee weapon takes each time you create it. You are proficient with it while you wield it and can use your Charisma modifier for the attack and damage rolls. This weapon counts as magical for the purpose of overcoming resistance and immunity to nonmagical attacks and damage.

Your pact weapon disappears if it is more than 5 feet away from you for 1 minute or more. It also disappears if you use this feature again, if you dismiss the weapon (no action required), or if you die.

You can transform one magic weapon into your pact weapon by performing a special ritual while you hold the weapon. You perform the ritual over the course of 1 hour, which can be done during a short rest. You can then dismiss the weapon, shunting it into an extradimensional space, and it appears whenever you create your pact weapon thereafter. You can’t affect an artifact or a sentient weapon in this way. The weapon ceases being your pact weapon if you die, if you perform the 1-hour ritual on a different weapon, or if you use a 1-hour ritual to break your bond to it. The weapon appears at your feet if it is in the extradimensional space when the bond breaks.

So, two things here.

1) I took Hex warrior and put it in here. Medium armor, shields, CHA on attack/Damage. This lets other Patron's do the Blade Pact. I'm not too worried about the "but they have to change their entire style at 3rd level" because I generally start games at 3rd level

2) I switched it from an action to a bonus action. I like giving people the option to switch weapons mid-combat, use some of that flexibility from having proficiency in everything and a weapon that changes forms. No one wastes an action on this, them wasting a bonus action would be questionable.

Of course, this does make the boon quite a bit stronger than it was, so I went ahead and did something else.

Your patron gives you a grimoire called a Book of Shadows. When you gain this feature, choose three cantrips from any class’s spell list (the three needn’t be from the same list). While the book is on your person, you can cast those cantrips at will. They don’t count against your number of cantrips known. If they don’t appear on the warlock spell list, they are nonetheless warlock spells for you.

You also can inscribe magical rituals in your Book of Shadows. Choose two 1st-level spells that have the ritual tag from any class’s spell list (the two needn’t be from the same list). The spells appear in the book and don’t count against the number of spells you know. With your Book of Shadows in hand, you can cast the chosen spells as rituals. You can’t cast the spells except as rituals, unless you’ve learned them by some other means. You can also cast a warlock spell you know as a ritual if it has the ritual tag.

On your adventures, you can add other ritual spells to your Book of Shadows. When you find such a spell, you can add it to the book if the spell’s level is equal to or less than half your warlock level (rounded up) and if you can spare the time to transcribe the spell. For each level of the spell, the transcription process takes 2 hours and costs 50 gp for the rare inks needed to inscribe it.

If you lose your Book of Shadows, you can perform a 1-hour ceremony to receive a replacement from your patron. This ceremony can be performed during a short or long rest, and it destroys the previous book. The book turns to ash when you die.

I combined the Boon and the Book of Ancient Secrets.

No one takes the Tome pact without getting the book, unless they are going Tome exclusively to shillelagh and be a Gish, or they have some other strange plan. And since I made the blade pact more powerful, it felt wrong to still have this boon only be three cantrips.

In my head, this essentially is just removing an invocation tax. The Tome is going to have one more invocation than they might have had otherwise, and the choice of that Invocation could fit in a few different places, so I'm okay with this.

Of course, that all meant that I needed to also look at Chain.

You learn the Find Familiar spell. You can cast this spell ritually without components and with the casting time reduced to 10 minutes.

When you cast the spell, you can choose one of the normal forms for your familiar or one of the following special forms based upon your Patron: Imp (Devils), Pseudodragon (Fey), Quasit (Demons), Will O' Wisp (Undying or Cursed), or Sprite (Fey). [I don't have a good choice for Abberation other than the Gazer, which has a very powerful ability to stun and inflict status effects]

Your familiar takes its turn at the same time you do, and is not prevented from taking the attack action. Additionally, you can communicate telepathically with your familiar and perceive through your familiar’s senses as long as you are on the same plane of existence. While perceiving through your familiar’s senses, you can also speak through your familiar in your own voice, even if your familiar is normally incapable of speech.

So, I spent years torn about the Chain pact, and only recently started playing one. Feylock with a Sprite. And I have gotten a massive amount of utility out of it, but there have been a lot of things that went into that that are not really in a normal game.

So, what have I done here? Shortened the casting time. It is a minor thing, but I wanted to make you better at this and an hour is a long time.

Added a few more familiars. I plan on working on the Pact of the Undying, so I kept the Will-o-wisp. Plan on looking into adding mephits or something for Genie as well.

And then I just took away limits. You familiar can attack. This is quite powerful for the Imp, but not really for anything else. If I have this for my Sprite, I would still have her use the help action constantly instead of hitting for 1 damage. (Frankly, I wonder if the Imp is just too powerful as a familiar, maybe lower their poison damage)

Then I gave them Voice of the Chain Master. I recently was able to use it with amazing effect for my Feylock... but that was to shadow an enemy army while we marched the army we commanded to cut them off in a geopolitical move. But, most games are not going to need that sort of long term, long distance scouting where miles over days are in play.

So, since it is so niche, I gave it to them for free, and started working with the other invocations to give you other options of things to do.

Chaosmancer
2020-06-21, 06:15 PM
The Cursed One [Formerly Hexblade]

Patron Spells
The Cursed One gives you additional spells when you reach certain levels. The following spells are added to your spells known.

Cursed One Expanded Spells
Spell Level Spells
1st Hex, Tasha’s Hideous Laughter
2nd Blur, Blindness/Deafness
3rd Bestow Curse,
4th Phantasmal Killer, Confusion
5th Cloudkill, Modify Memory

Since I didn't make them melee focused anymore, took away the smiting spells and focused on more of a cursing type spell list. Also, I added Hex. Remember, these spells are like cleric domain spells, and since so many of the following abilities work with Hex, giving it automatically made sense to me.

Baleful Curse
Starting at 1st level, you gain the ability to place a baleful curse on someone. As a bonus action, choose one creature you can see within 30 feet of you. The target is cursed for 1 minute. The curse ends early if the target dies, you die, or you are incapacitated. Until the curse ends, you gain the following benefits:

-You gain a bonus to damage rolls against the cursed target. The bonus equals your proficiency bonus.

-Any attack roll you make against the cursed target is a critical hit on a roll of 19 or 20 on the d20.

-If the cursed target dies, you regain hit points equal to your warlock level + your Charisma modifier (minimum of 1 hit point).

You can’t use this feature again until you finish a short or long rest.

Didn't change any of this one, except the name

Chain of Hexes
Starting at 1st level, when a creature affected by your Hex spell is reduced to 0 hp, you may use your reaction to move the Hex to a new creature automatically.

Starting at 6th level, you may use your bonus action to move your Hex spell, even if the current target has not been reduced to zero HP.

Since I took out Hex Warrior, I felt like I needed to add something. Since this subclass is supposed to be the master of using curse magic, I decided to give them two abilities that I bet many people wish they could have with Hex. It not taking a bonus action to move (which will normally not be a huge benefit since warlock's rarely use their bonus action) and at higher levels, using a bonus action to forcibly move it. A new threat enters the battlefield? The Cursed One can reorient without needing to finish off their first target first.

Accursed Specter
Starting at 6th level, you can curse the soul of a creature you slay, temporarily binding it to your service. When you slay a creature that is a Humanoid, Beast or Monstrosity, you can cause its spirit to rise from its corpse as a specter, the statistics for which are in the Monster Manual. When the specter appears, it gains temporary hit points equal to half your warlock level. The Specter takes its turn starting after your next turn. It obeys your verbal commands, and it gains a special bonus to its attack rolls equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum of +0).

The specter remains in your service until the end of your next long rest, at which point it vanishes to the afterlife. Once you bind a specter with this feature, you can’t use the feature again until you finish a long rest.

All I really did here was expand Humanoid to include Beasts and Monstrosities. Give the Warlock more opportunities to activate this ability.

Armor of Hexes
At 10th level, your hex grows more powerful. If the target cursed by your Baleful Curse hits you with an attack roll, you can use your reaction to roll a d6. On a 4 or higher, the attack instead misses you, regardless of its roll.

If a target under the effect of your Hex spell hits you with an attack roll, you can use your reaction to roll a d6. On a 6, the attack instead misses you, regardless of its roll.

You only get your Baleful curse once per short rest, and it only affects one target. So, I felt the original tenth level ability was too limited. Extending it to include Hex might make you tankier than you otherwise would be, but I don't think it is too much to have a 1/6 miss chance from your focused targer.

Master of Hexes
Starting at 14th level, you can spread your Baleful Curse from a slain creature to another creature. When the creature cursed by your Baleful Curse dies, you can apply the curse to a different creature you can see within 30 feet of you, provided you aren’t incapacitated. When you apply the curse in this way, you only regain hit points from the death of the previously cursed creature equal to your Charisma modifier.

Additionally, the Hex spell is no longer a Concentration spell for you.

Two changes here. First, when you swap the curse, little bit of health gain instead of none.

The Bigger One is the second ability though, Hex is no longer concentration, which really opens things up for the warlock I think.

Chaosmancer
2020-06-21, 06:17 PM
The Archfey

Patron Spells
The Archfey gives you additional spells when you reach certain levels. The following spells are added to your spells known.

Archfey Expanded Spells
Spell Level Spells
1st Faerie Fire, Sleep
2nd Calm Emotions, Phantasmal Force
3rd Blink, Plant Growth
4th Dominate Beast, Greater Invisibility
5th Dominate Person, Seeming

Fey Presence
Starting at 1st level, your patron bestows upon you the ability to project the beguiling and fearsome presence of the fey.

As an action, you can cause each creature in a 10-foot cube originating from you to make a Wisdom saving throw against your warlock spell save DC. The creatures that fail their saving throws are all charmed or frightened by you (your choice). The creature remakes the saving throw at the end of their turn, if they fail this save three times the condition lasts 1 hour.

Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a short or long rest.

So, the original ability is incredibly limited. It causes fear or charm that lasts until the end of your next turn. Which, remember, Fear gives disadvantage on attacks but doesn't prevent being attacked, so you are really looking at charming them to protect yourself for a single round of combat. But that took your full action, which means your best case scenario is to pass a full round to get right back where you were. Not a fan.

So instead, I made it a "save against the effect at the end of their turn". Which means it could end sooner, but if they fail the save three times then they are charmed or frightened of you for an hour. This gives it utility outside of combat, and the increase to combat power is relatively minor. The save at end could mean it lasts less or more time, but after three saves, the combat is likely over anyways. so extending it to an hour doesn't effect that.

Misty Escape
Starting at 6th level, you can vanish in a puff of mist in response to harm. When you take damage, you can use your reaction to turn invisible and teleport up to 60 feet to an unoccupied space you can see. You remain invisible until the start of your next turn or until you attack or cast a spell.

Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a short or long rest.

No changes to this ability here

Beguiling Defenses
Beginning at 10th level, your patron teaches you how to turn the mind-affecting magic of your enemies against them. You are immune to being charmed, and when another creature attempts to charm you, you can use your reaction to attempt to turn the charm back on that creature. The creature must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw against your warlock spell save DC or be charmed by you for 1 minute or until the creature takes any damage. Creatures cannot be immune to this charm effect.

Additionally, when you use your Misty Escape feature you can reduce the damage you take by half.

So, a few things here. First thing just to get it out of the way, I powered up Misty Escape here. That is because it is pretty rare to face charm magic, so I wanted a general use ability on top of this.

The big change was a single line though "Creatures cannot be immune to this charm effect." See, Fey are all immune to charm effects but are also the most likely creatures to attempt to charm the Fey Warlock. I liked the idea that trying to charm the warlock is a bad deal whether or not you are immune to being charmed normally. This also means two Fey Warlocks could end up with a charm against one of them if they got into a "charm duel" which I found amusing.

Dark Delirium
Starting at 14th level, you can plunge a creature into a realm of fantastical dreams.

As an action, choose a creature that you can see within 60 ft. It must make a Wisdom saving throw against your Warlock spell dc now and again at the end of its next turn.

If it fails one of the two saves, it's mind is transported into a dream-like realm crafted by you for up to 10 minutes. The creature can see and hear only you, itself, and the realm. The creature cannot cast spells, move, or attack you (though it may think it does and such actions are reflected in the dream) unless you cast a spell that targets it or make an attack roll against it. If the creature takes any damage from a source other than you, they return to the real world.

If the creature fails both saves, then you can turn the realm hostile, dealing 1d10 psychic damage to the creature at the end of each of its turns.

You must finish a short or long rest before you can use this feature again.

Ok, again, let us talk about the original ability first.

The original version of this allowed you to inflict charm or frighten and if the target failed they could only see you, itself and mist in an illusion. The creature taking any damage breaks free.

So, the best use of this was again to charm, that way the creature couldn't attack you, then use your concentration slot to essentially keep them from attacking anyone because they can't see them.

Compare for a moment to Hurl Through Hell which takes them out of the fight for a round then deals massive damage to them.

So, I kept the original abilities intent in preventing the creature from attacking anyone, and made it a dream realm so that creatures immune to charm or with true-sight (the types of high level enemies you want to hit with this) can still be affected. You also are completely safe, unless you start attacking it, then they can single fire on you directly. Which is bad.

But, if you get them to fail two saves, then you can deal Damage over Time to the enemy, completely safely. It is a single target death sentence, but they have to fail two saves and if they take any damage from, say, an ally of theirs who tries to snap them out of it, then your ability is canceled.

So it has checks, and I think they are decent ones.

Chaosmancer
2020-06-21, 06:18 PM
The Fiend

Don't think I even changed anything

Patron Spells
The Fiend gives you additional spells when you reach certain levels. The following spells are added to your spells known.

Fiend Expanded Spells
Spell Level Spells
1st Burning Hands, Command
2nd Blindness/Deafness, Scorching Ray
3rd Fireball, Stinking Cloud
4th Fire Shield, Wall of Fire
5th Flame Strike, Hallow

Dark One’s Blessing
Starting at 1st level, when you reduce a hostile creature to 0 hit points, you gain temporary hit points equal to your Charisma modifier + your warlock level (minimum of 1).

Dark One’s Own Luck
Starting at 6th level, you can call on your patron to alter fate in your favor. When you make an ability check or a saving throw, you can use this feature to add a d10 to your roll. You can do so after seeing the initial roll but before any of the roll’s effects occur.

Fiendish Resilience
Starting at 10th level, you can choose one damage type when you finish a short or long rest. You gain resistance to that damage type until you choose a different one with this feature. Damage from magical weapons or silver weapons ignores this resistance.

Hurl Through Hell
Starting at 14th level, when you hit a creature with an attack, you can use this feature to instantly transport the target through the lower planes. The creature disappears and hurtles through a nightmare landscape.

At the end of your next turn, the target returns to the space it previously occupied, or the nearest unoccupied space. If the target is not a fiend, it takes 10d10 psychic damage as it reels from its horrific experience.

Chaosmancer
2020-06-21, 06:20 PM
The Great Old One

Patron Spells
The Great Old One gives you additional spells when you reach certain levels. The following spells are added to your spells known.

Great Old One Expanded Spells
Spell Level Spells
1st Dissonant Whispers, Tasha’s Hideous Laughter
2nd Detect Thoughts, Phantasmal Force
3rd Clairvoyance, Sending
4th Dominate Beast, Evard’s Black Tentacles
5th Dominate Person, Telekinesis

Awakened Mind
Starting at 1st level, your alien knowledge gives you the ability to touch the minds of other creatures. You can telepathically speak to any creature you can see within 30 feet of you. You don’t need to share a language with the creature for it to understand your telepathic utterances, but the creature must be able to understand at least one language. You can choose whether or not the creature can respond telepathically.

I just gave them the ability for the person they are talking to to respond. Far more interesting in my mind.

Entropic Ward
At 6th level, you learn to magically ward yourself against attack and to turn an enemy’s failed strike into good luck for yourself. When a creature makes an attack roll against you, you can use your reaction to impose disadvantage on that roll. If the attack misses you, your next attack roll against the creature has advantage if you make it before the end of your next turn.

You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Charisma modifier, regaining all uses when you finish a short or long rest.

There is actually nothing wrong with the ability from the book, except that you only get to do it once. I just made it multiple times per short rest, to get some actual mileage out of it.

Thought Shield
Starting at 10th level, your thoughts can’t be read by telepathy or other means unless you allow it. You also have resistance to psychic damage, and whenever a creature deals psychic damage to you, that creature takes the same amount of damage that you do.

No changes

Create Thrall
At 14th level, you gain the ability to infect a humanoid’s mind with the alien magic of your patron. You can use your action to touch an incapacitated humanoid. That creature is then charmed by you until a remove curse spell is cast on it.

You can have a number of Thralls equal to your Charisma modifier

While charmed in this manner you can communicate telepathically with the charmed creature as long as the two of you are on the same plane of existence and the creature must succeed a Wisdom saving throw to disobey any direct commands you give it. If it succeeds on the save it takes 1d10 psychic damage, but can ignore your commands for up to 10 minutes.

If a creature ignores your commands five times in a row, they can initiate an opposed Charisma check to break free of your control. A creature can only attempt to break free once a year.

This is the sort of ability I expected when I first read the name "Create Thrall".

The original allows for a permanent charm on one creature (and only one) and a permanent telepathic link. That is advantage on Charisma checks and the ability to talk. But, remember, Persuasion checks aren't magic. You can't convince them to do something that they would never do. This isn't magical slavery and with how hard it is to land, it needs to be more intense.

So, first thing I did, multiple thralls. It is hard enough to land this ability that being able to repeat it is good. Then, enforce the commands, like with a Geas. The save gives the person targeted a chance to resist, and then a window to act against the GOOlock who thralled them.

Also, if you target someone who is very strong willed, like a high level cleric, then you have a small chance of losing the Thralldom. But only rarely, and it becomes an opposed charisma check, giving the warlock an advantage, but not an insurmountable one.

Chaosmancer
2020-06-21, 06:21 PM
The Celestial

Patron Spells
The Celestial gives you additional spells when you reach certain levels. The following spells are added to your spells known.

Celestial Expanded Spells
Spell Level Spells
1st Healing Word, Guiding Bolt
2nd Flaming Sphere, Lesser Restoration
3rd Aura of Vitality, Revivify
4th Death Ward, Wall of Fire
5th Flame Strike, Greater Restoration

I changed somethings here, focusing more on healing abilities than anything else

Bonus Cantrips
At 1st level, you learn the Light and Sacred Flame cantrips. They count as warlock cantrips for you, but they don’t count against your number of cantrips known.

No changes

Healing Light
At 1st level, you gain the ability to channel celestial energy to heal wounds. You have a pool of d6s that you spend to fuel this healing. The number of dice in the pool equals 1 + your warlock level.

As a bonus action, you can heal one creature you can see within 60 feet of you, spending dice from the pool. The maximum number of dice you can spend at once equals your Charisma modifier(minimum of one die). This limit increases by to half your Warlock level starting at level 12. Roll the dice you spend, add them together, and restore a number of hit points equal to the total.

Your pool regains all expended dice when you finish a long rest.

So, with this I only really changed the ability of the warlock to throw more dice in a single bonus action. Hit level 12 and it is six dice, and just keeps climbing to a max of 10 dice in a single heal.

Radiant Soul
Starting at 6th level, your link to the Celestial realms allow you to serve as a conduit for radiant energy. You have resistance to radiant and necrotic damage.

Whenever you heal an ally you can add your charisma modifier to the healing they receive.

So, the original ability seemed like it wanted to be agonizing blast for radiant damage... about four levels after most people would take agonizing blast. It also helped out with the fire spells, but the more I thought about this subclass, this isn't a damage oriented subclass, it is a a healing one, so I gave them increased healing.

Celestial Resistance
Starting at 10th level, you gain temporary hit points whenever you finish a short or long rest. These temporary hit points equal your warlock level + your Charisma modifier.

Additionally, choose up to five creatures you can see at the end of the rest. Those creatures each gain the same number of temporary hit points.

If you have the Inspiring Leader Feat, increase the temp hp gained from this ability by 10.

So, I mentioned my Feylock up above, this ability is the reason I am playing that instead of my original idea of a celestial pact. See, I was planning on taking Inspiring Leader, and taking it from level 1 as a Variant Human. Which completely made this ability useless. Because Inspiring Leader was better than this by a huge margin, since the original version of this gave half as much temp hp to your allies.

So, I made it equal to Inspiring Leader (still a little weaker, since this is only six creatures and Inspiring Leader can be scaled to huge numbers) and then made them synergize. If you have both? Massive Temp Hp gain. Maybe too much? But waiting til 10th level instead of just getting it at 4th feels bad.

Searing Vengeance
Starting at 14th level, the radiant energy you channel allows you to resist death.

When you have to make a death saving throw at the start of your turn, you can instead spring back to your feet with a burst of radiant energy. You regain hit points equal to half your hit point maximum, and then you stand up if you so choose.

Each creature of your choice that is within 30 feet of you takes radiant damage equal to 5d8 + your Charisma modifier, and it is blinded until the end of the current turn.

Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a long rest.

Increased the damage but that is about it.