PDA

View Full Version : Kobolds at level 4

Chauncymancer
2020-06-21, 08:11 PM
I've been writing an adventure that goes from level 1 to 4 with a tribe of kobolds as one of the primary antagonists. But as I develop encounters at the end of the adventure, I'm finding that encounter math is telling me that a medium challenge for four 4th level characters is 14 kobolds, and that sounds completely unviable to run at the table. Does anyone have any ideas for what I can do with kobolds in the middle levels?

Wizard_Lizard
2020-06-21, 08:31 PM
Urds and other types of kobolds can beef up the cr, also give some of the kobolds class levels.

Yakk
2020-06-21, 08:38 PM
Dragonshields and Sorcerer Kobolds? (From Volo's)

J-H
2020-06-21, 08:40 PM
Use some mobs or swarms instead of 14 individual kobolds.

CTurbo
2020-06-21, 08:42 PM
Give them +1 Dex and Con, a Short Sword or Scimitar, and 2-3 more hit dice. That gives them +1 AC, +1 damage per attack, and roughly 3x more HP. I'm not familiar with CR calculators but that should do it.

Luccan
2020-06-21, 10:12 PM
Kobolds favor hit and run tactics due to their (usual) weakness. If you're just using regular kobolds, force the PCs to chase them. Try to lead them into traps. When it doubt, alchemists fire will make them more threatening not due to damage, but because it will eat up actions.

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-06-22, 12:27 AM
Why 14 kobold are unviable to run in your table?
Is it number of enemies? the fact they are kobolds?

You can always just use a different stat block and call it a kobold.
Wolfs work great because they also get pact tactics. Hubgoblins can also work great for the benefit they get from fighting in groups.

And don't forget that 5e encounter rules don't tell the truth, the encounters are way easier then the books tell us.

Keravath
2020-06-22, 02:18 PM
I wouldn't have a problem running a combat with 14 kobolds. To be honest, I don't expect them to last long.

Kobolds have an AC of 12 and 5 hit points.

If you have a druid in the party, they can spike growth and most of the kobolds probably won't be able to reach them. The players can afford to take some damage - the kobolds can't.

A wizard can cast shatter a couple of times.
A sorcerer could cast scorching ray ... 2 shots at 2d6 each

A martial class with PAM has a good chance of taking out 2/turn.

On the other side ... kobolds have pack tactics ... and they should know to work together. So 14 kobolds rush the party, 6 surround the closest character, 8 use slings ... 14 attacks at advantage ... if the character has medium or heavy armor + shield they are probably looking at AC18 so maybe 1/2 the attacks hit doing an average 4.5 damage/attack ... average 31.5 damage against a 4th level character. A fighter should have an average of 36 hit points with 14 con at level 4. On the other hand, a cleric might have 31 with the same AC and a wizard 26 with a lower AC. So the kobold pack might manage to take out a rogue/cleric/wizard on the first round with focused attacks. Luckily, DMs don't usually play the opponents that intelligently.

So depending on initiative rolls, the DM may only have to run 10 kobolds for one round with the numbers dropping substantially each round. The kobolds might be able to drop one character if they get initiative and if they focus their attacks.

Sorinth
2020-06-22, 02:35 PM
Assuming the problem you have with running lots of enemies is just all the rolling involved when it's the kobolds turn to attack then one option is to simply group several kobolds together as a pack. This pack of enemies is basically treated as one creature, it's attack, damage, and hit points is higher then a normal kobold but as it takes damage it gets penalties. The existing "Swarm" creatures sorta of do that already where the amount of damage they deal is dependent on the HP of the swarm, so let that inspire you.

If on the other hand you want there to be hundreds of kobolds story wise but basically have to keep the number of kobolds low to get the right challenge level, then I would suggest having groups of ranged kobolds that attack from hidden/hard to reach locations. But instead of making attack rolls, they shoot a volley of arrows and the PCs make Dex saving throws take half damage on success.

Winter Phocks
2020-06-22, 05:31 PM
Check out tome of foes from Kobold press.

The swolbold is an excellent way to beef up the CR while giving your players a nice kobold surprise they were not expecting.

pr4wn
2020-06-22, 05:50 PM
If you have access to Volo's Guide, there some great options for Kobolds (and some good information) in there. I would also look at Keith Ammann's "The Monsters Know What They Are Doing": https://www.themonstersknow.com/kobolds-revisited/

-pr4wn

JellyPooga
2020-06-22, 06:22 PM
Not too long ago, I posted a not-very-successful thread (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?611156-Underdog-(Kobold-discussion)) on the subject of kobolds. Thought I might point you at it for my thoughts on the subject in a more general term.

Chauncymancer
2020-06-25, 02:13 PM
For those wondering: It was just the book-keeping of managing 14 different NPC turns in a round. I had somehow managed to never see the mob rules in the DMG, and think that those are going to do what I need.

Asisreo1
2020-06-25, 03:34 PM
I've been writing an adventure that goes from level 1 to 4 with a tribe of kobolds as one of the primary antagonists. But as I develop encounters at the end of the adventure, I'm finding that encounter math is telling me that a medium challenge for four 4th level characters is 14 kobolds, and that sounds completely unviable to run at the table. Does anyone have any ideas for what I can do with kobolds in the middle levels?
I ran an encounter with 30 kobolds against lvl 4 players just fine last session. Went by pretty quickly, around 30-45 mins basically. I didn't even use mob combat rules, which would've made it faster. Just remember that identical monster run the same initiative, so knowing their general strategy at all times mean you only need a maximum of 1-2 decisions in any given round.

Tvtyrant
2020-06-25, 10:09 PM
Don't forget alchemical weapons and other one shot items. Kobolds setting the party on fire is a tradition!

Man on Fire
2020-06-26, 01:02 AM

Use mob combat rules, I've ran huge battle with pcs, 20 kobolds, 20 goblins and several others and it worked fine

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-06-26, 02:22 AM
Use mob combat rules, I've ran huge battle with pcs, 20 kobolds, 20 goblins and several others and it worked fine

I have to say that using an online dice rolling app you can do it easily without mob combat rules, I run a combat with 45 duragars(not all the same type, 5 different stat blocks), the ability to roll every turn of the enemies in a single click made the fight go fast.
The druid and ranger PC had longer turn then my duragars.

I did used one initiative for each stat block.

comandercopy
2020-06-26, 03:10 AM
If you don't have access to Volos for Kobolds with higher CR like Dragonshield, Inventor or Scale Sorcerer, there are other options apart from the already mentioned things like giving individual Kobolds class levels or items to use as well:

1) Reskin a monster. Use for example the stat block of a Goblin Boss (CR1) and turn it into a Kobold Boss or use the stat block of a Gnoll (CR1/2) for big burly elite Kobold guards.
2) Kobolds worship Dragons. Maybe your Kobold tribe is raising a Green or White Dragon Wyrmling (CR2) in their lair.
3) Give the Kobolds pets. Have them use Giant Lizards (CR1/2) as mounts in battle or give them a captured Death Dog (CR1) or Dire Wolf (CR1) as their big enforcer that gets released as a last ditch effort to handle intruders.
4) Kobolds invent stuff. Add constructs like a Flying Sword (CR1/4) or an Animated Armor (CR1, could even be flavored for laughs as three Kobolds inside steering it) into the mix.

Ohiohi
2020-06-26, 03:16 AM
I would love to use kobolds against my party, but I'm waiting for them to hit at least lvl 7/8. Why? 'Cause if you're a DM, you would love to run them as Tucker Kobolds: hit and run tactics, small crawling spaces where they can move freely to flank the PCs, traps, trickery. Rooms with nothing but hiding places for them and big piles of flammable stuff, roughly constructed spiked pits, small holes where a kobold can jump out, throw a rock or something and duck again.
You won't play D&D combat: you'll play a game of Whack a Mole while adding fire, pointy sticks and a lot of fear.

Trust me: after a well-thought Tucker Kobolds nest, your PCs will be fleeing when they see one of those scaly little bastards.

Kobold_paladin?
2020-06-26, 11:26 AM
kobolds wearing kobold-sized plate and with a big spiky shield. AC 20. shield bash atk: 1d4 bludgeoning and 2d4 piercing. the party will most likely plan for a horde of wienies, instead give them at lest one of these rascals.
if the juggbold (juggernaut-kobold) doesn't appeal, i'd recommend inventors and dragon shields from volo's.
still though, i'd love to know that you used a least one juggbold.

oh yeah, the jugg's stats: str+2 dex+1 con+1 int-1 wis-2 cha-1

(you can give the jugg a sword if the shield seems a bit much).