PDA

View Full Version : Most iconic items in Geekdom

Quertus
2020-06-22, 09:18 AM
So, suppose I was building a museum of the coolest swag. For mechanics, *pretend* I was using Lucid Dreaming, finding these things in people's minds, and hauling them out to reality for display (I'm not (although I might in any "gain D&D levels" threads…), but that is a good baseline for understanding the concept).

What are the cool things I should grab?

safe
the battlemap / miniatures they are using to play d&d in the beginning of the movie E.T.

the original tournament version of the Tomb of Horror

Red [and Yellow and Blue] Starfleet uniform

Excalibur. the sword in the stone.

Chainmail rule set, Detective Comics #1

Flux Capacitor-equipped DeLorean (hover version)

Box of Scooby Snacks

Boba Fett's helmet

Green Lantern Ring

The Triforce

Superman's costume

Batman's cowl and belt,

the paleontologist's velociraptor claw from the beginning of Jurassic Park (the one he uses to scare children)

Spiderman's web-making portable machines,

Bruce Banner's glasses,

the Wolverine's skeleton,

the Terminator's arm,

Xenomorph egg,

Predator's forearm

A star that makes you invulnerable if you touch it.

A Heart Container

The Skeleton Key

Ironman's v0.5 suit (which he built in a cave, from a pile of scrap)

Sting

Smaug's skull

The tatoo The Nameless One has on his back

A bodysnatcher pod

The Pursuit Special (aka Max's car)

A wax statue of Major T J Kong riding a nuke

a Pokeball

probably safe?
A/the TARDIS

Anakin/Luke's [blue] Lightsaber

Boltgun & Chainsword

Thor's Hammer,

Zeus's lightning bolt (s)

Serpentor's Armor

Megatron's blaster cannon

Skeletor's staff

Darth Vader's helmet

Buster Sword (FFVII)

And the classic Vorpal Blade.

A spelljammer.

almost certainly cursed
The One Ring.

maybe a magic lamp

Non-functional (...?) Dalek or Cyberman

Kryptonite

Krusty the Clown doll (cursed). Comes with free Frogurt (also cursed), your choice of topping (contains Potassium Benzoate).

Deck of Many Things

danger, will Robinson

Necronomicon

The Infinity Gauntlet

The living, sleeping Tarrasque

unknown

Goku's staff

Genzō Wakabayashi's hat,

Mr Pointy from Buffy.

Staff of Chaos, Kagrenac's tools and the Amulet of Kings. Other highly recognisable items are a bonemold helmet, a sigil stone, and maybe the iron helmet from Skyrim,

A Hattori Hanzo blade.

A vorpal sword. (Jabberwock in opposite room.)

Don't know that it's quite famous enough, but Callandor would fit the collection as well.

the Master Sword

Sam Vimes’ badge. Carrot Ironfoundersson’s sword. Granny Weatherwax’s hat. A bottle of Nanny Ogg’s scumble. Bill Door’s* harvest scythe—not the one he had specially prepared for a certain encounter, the one he used to cut wheat (it’s far more powerful than the other one anyway). Rincewind’s halfbrick-inna-sock.

DrMartin
2020-06-22, 10:14 AM
things I would personally like to have in such a collection:

the battlemap / miniatures they are using to play d&d in the beginning of the movie E.T.

the original tournament version of the Tomb of Horror

Evoker
2020-06-22, 10:25 AM
A replica from the movie, and if magic is involved possibly functional, One Ring. Preferably minus the curse.

Quertus
2020-06-22, 10:59 AM
These first two responses hit on one of my snags - Dream versions of *certain* items may well carry curses, whereas others are (hopefully) much safer.

So the museum would have "levels", from super cool mundane swag to… "you got *what*?!".

(Also, my initial "actual" plan was… probably riskier than 3e's Dream, as far as potential for curses is concerned.)

Evoker
2020-06-22, 11:13 AM
Ooh. A TARDIS. The TARDIS preferably, but not required. It can double as anomalous item storage.

LordCdrMilitant
2020-06-22, 11:29 AM
Anakin/Luke's [blue] Lightsaber

Boltgun & Chainsword

Quertus
2020-06-22, 01:14 PM

Which… "edition"?

Also, is there any canon for Star Fleet officers to have spare uniforms, or would this involve a lot of naked Star Fleet officers in someone's dream? :smallamused:

Ooh. A TARDIS. The TARDIS preferably, but not required. It can double as anomalous item storage.

… OK, I can *probably* manage to move a mundane blue telephone booth, but how does one move an "actual" TARDIS? :smallconfused:

Psyren
2020-06-22, 01:45 PM
… OK, I can *probably* manage to move a mundane blue telephone booth, but how does one move an "actual" TARDIS? :smallconfused:

You convince it to go with you. Pretty straightforward, if not necessarily easy :smalltongue:

Your "museum" would probably need to be mobile, ever-changing, or otherwise interesting for that to have any chance of working though.

Quertus
2020-06-22, 03:41 PM
You convince it to go with you. Pretty straightforward, if not necessarily easy :smalltongue:

Canonically, has that ever worked (sans McGuffin)?

Your "museum" would probably need to be mobile, ever-changing, or otherwise interesting for that to have any chance of working though.

Well, I wasn't *actually* planning on using 3e Dream. However, given that it is *safer* than what I was planning, I'm reevaluating that.

If I do use Dream (which I will in "get D&D levels" threads), I won't be doing it the smarter way you describe, because I'm lazy. I'll just pitch everything out of Dream, and only 1% will survive. Repeat for each item of interest until I get one that lasts (or run out of dreams to mine).

Psyren
2020-06-22, 04:08 PM
Canonically, has that ever worked (sans McGuffin)?

Canonically, it worked at least once :smallbiggrin:
If you're asking whether it's repeatable, afraid I can't help you.

malloc
2020-06-22, 04:46 PM
The book Ready Player One does a good overview of many things 80s pop/nerd culture. Worth a look if your players know the era. If not, think about what can come your players belong to and pull from there. Try and think of some things they've played, read, or seen that they wouldn't list reflexively, but still enjoyed--that is, if this is a well-known group.

Quertus
2020-06-22, 09:05 PM
Canonically, it worked at least once :smallbiggrin:
If you're asking whether it's repeatable, afraid I can't help you.

Possible is all I need. Although, for dreams, doubtless *someone* would believe it possible, even if it never happened in canon.

The book Ready Player One does a good overview of many things 80s pop/nerd culture. Worth a look if your players know the era. If not, think about what can come your players belong to and pull from there. Try and think of some things they've played, read, or seen that they wouldn't list reflexively, but still enjoyed--that is, if this is a well-known group.

When the libraries open back up, maybe I can give it a look.

I am… *perhaps* personally more familiar with "80's" icons than some other decades? Which is why I asked a larger audience for general cool iconic… things.

I'm too senile to remember all my players' interests, and asking them would kinda ruin the surprise. (Of course, they likely read these boards, so… win some, lose some).

Cluedrew
2020-06-22, 09:44 PM
Excalibur. A bit older item but I think it would be appropriate, or maybe the sword in the stone.

While were are going old: Thor's Hammer, maybe a magic lamp (round 2 maybe), a lightning bolt caught might flight from Zeus. Just the first things that came to mind. Oh the Necronomicon. Lock that one up tight.

Telonius
2020-06-23, 06:23 AM
For the library: Chainmail rule set, Detective Comics #1

Box of Scooby Snacks

Boba Fett's helmet

Green Lantern Ring

The Triforce

For "potentially cursed":

Serpentor's Armor

Skeletor's staff

Darth Vader's helmet

Kryptonite

The Infinity Gauntlet

Vinyadan
2020-06-23, 07:13 AM
Let's see...

Vader's mask, Superman's costume, Batman's cowl and belt, the paleontologist's velociraptor claw from the beginning of Jurassic Park (the one he uses to scare children), Spiderman's web-making portable machines, Bruce Banner's glasses, Goku's staff, Genzō Wakabayashi's hat, the Wolverine's skeleton, the Terminator's arm, Xenomorph egg, Predator's forearm, Mr Pointy from Buffy.

Imbalance
2020-06-23, 07:30 AM
Your museum sounds a lot like my toy collection.

Quertus
2020-06-23, 08:20 AM
Excalibur. A bit older item but I think it would be appropriate, or maybe the sword in the stone.

While were are going old: Thor's Hammer, maybe a magic lamp (round 2 maybe), a lightning bolt caught might flight from Zeus. Just the first things that came to mind. Oh the Necronomicon. Lock that one up tight.

Oldschool. Definitely high geek cred.

For the library: Chainmail rule set, Detective Comics #1

Box of Scooby Snacks

Boba Fett's helmet

Green Lantern Ring

The Triforce

For "potentially cursed":

Serpentor's Armor

Skeletor's staff

Darth Vader's helmet

Kryptonite

The Infinity Gauntlet

OK, those last two are definitely "cursed" (or, rather, definitely have detrimental side effects in their modem renditions), and Who enemies cannot be trusted to be "nonfunctional", but… other than the ambiguity of dreams, what makes the others cursed?

Man_Over_Game
2020-06-23, 09:00 AM
Buster Sword (FFVII)
A star that makes you invulnerable if you touch it.
A Heart Container
The Skeleton Key
And the classic Vorpal Blade.

Kaptin Keen
2020-06-23, 09:26 AM
Hm ...

The Necronomicon
Ironman's v0.5 suit (which he built in a cave, from a pile of scrap)
Sting, and Smaug's skull
The tatoo The Nameless One has on his back
A bodysnatcher pod
The Pursuit Special (aka Max's car)
A wax statue of Major T J Kong riding a nuke
The living, sleeping Tarrasque

Telonius
2020-06-23, 10:54 AM
Oldschool. Definitely high geek cred.

OK, those last two are definitely "cursed" (or, rather, definitely have detrimental side effects in their modem renditions), and Who enemies cannot be trusted to be "nonfunctional", but… other than the ambiguity of dreams, what makes the others cursed?

Serpentor's armor: snakes can come alive (as in, "death" of Duke)

Megatron blaster cannon: transformer ghosts are a thing (I believe they had Starscream come back at some point)

Skeletor's staff: Evil magic object, bad vibes generally.

Vader's helmet: Evil symbol, potential connection to a Palpatine clone that survived. (They're always popping up whenever they need a baddie).

Vinyadan
2020-06-23, 11:41 AM
I'm thinking about the Elder Scrolls... the Staff of Chaos, Kagrenac's tools and the Amulet of Kings. Other highly recognisable items are a bonemold helmet, a sigil stone, and maybe the iron helmet from Skyrim, although that's just because of how much it was used in promotion, rather than its uniqueness or relevance in game.

ExLibrisMortis
2020-06-23, 02:26 PM
A Hattori Hanzo blade.

A spelljammer.

A vorpal sword. (Jabberwock in opposite room.)

Don't know that it's quite famous enough, but Callandor would fit the collection as well.

Telonius
2020-06-23, 03:39 PM
Krusty the Clown doll (cursed). Comes with free Frogurt (also cursed), your choice of topping (contains Potassium Benzoate).

comk59
2020-06-23, 04:02 PM
a Deck of Many Things, the Master Sword, a Pokeball...
Man, there's a lot of stuff I'd want in a geekdom museum.

JAL_1138
2020-06-24, 01:55 AM
Sam Vimes’ badge. Carrot Ironfoundersson’s sword. Granny Weatherwax’s hat. A bottle of Nanny Ogg’s scumble. Bill Door’s* harvest scythe—not the one he had specially prepared for a certain encounter, the one he used to cut wheat (it’s far more powerful than the other one anyway). Rincewind’s halfbrick-inna-sock.

*a.k.a Death

Quertus
2020-06-24, 01:33 PM
Wow. So much cool stuff! Keep it coming. I'll post my original list soon, as well as… telling y'all how y'all helped me win a bet :smallwink:

Telonius
2020-06-24, 03:50 PM

*a.k.a Death

Clearly in the "Cursed" category:

A Sausage Inna Bun. (How long has it been there? Would it make a difference?)

Blueprints for a house designed by Bloody Stupid Johnson

Tvtyrant
2020-06-24, 04:33 PM
Head of Vecna. Dread Gazebo.

Quertus
2020-06-24, 08:19 PM
So, to simplify, when I discussed this with people *not* in the group that will encounter it, I ended up making a bet; scoring (was complicated, but) involved 10 "ranked" items, max 1 per "franchise", pick blind, no duplicates, as what people would say was "most iconic". Plus a side "crazy stuff".

My full list (or, rather, what I can read of it) in roughly priority order, was: Lightsabers (Han's blaster, bow caster, Vader's helmet / outfit, storm trooper outfits, Millennium Falcon, X-Wing… Star Destroyer, Death Star)

The One Ring (Sting, Gandalf's hat, various staves, the Arkenstone)

Thor's Hammer (got counted as Marvel, so… Infinity Gauntlet, Cap's Shield, Quasar's cloak, Spiderman web shooters, Magneto helmet, Doc Oc arms, Juggernaut armor, Iron Man armor… can't believe I missed wolverine skeleton)

Green Lantern Ring (I was too late for "utility belt" or "magic lasso"… Superman costume, Dr. Fate helmet, 2-face coin, Lobo bike, Mr Freeze gun /outfit)

Elder Wand (various wands, sorting hat, sword of Griffindor, Cloak of Invisibility, Golden Snitch, brooms, resurrection stone, goblet of fire)

Sonic Screwdriver (TARDIS, (empty) Dalek)

Star Trek "badge" (phasers, tricorder, visor, Enterprise(s), Pike's chair)

DeLorean (flux capacitor, hover board)

throne of swords (Dragon eggs?)

Hank's Bow (Presto's hat, etc; Venger outfit)

Oddballs: Zeus's lightning bolt(s), Pokeball, ♥, Nautiloid (alien egg)

Wow, that was long. I'll post the other items (that weren't from "franchises" I was "betting on") later.

Anyway, most of my "big ticket items" were called out (unlike, say, the Millennium Falcon, Magic Lasso, Cap's Shield, brooms carrying buckets, or a Black Lotus), *and* y'all hit my "oddballs", so I'm happy. :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: and it's awesome that y'all are including "mundane" geekdom items (ie, ones that muggles from this world could own) - those are far and away easiest for the "museum" to collect!

FabulousFizban
2020-06-24, 09:22 PM
rocket firing boba fett action figure

ExLibrisMortis
2020-06-24, 09:23 PM
How about the Nautilus, captain Nemo's ship? I mean, that's kind of the starship of its day, isn't it?

Cluedrew
2020-06-24, 09:31 PM
EDIT: and it's awesome that y'all are including "mundane" geekdom items (ie, ones that muggles from this world could own) - those are far and away easiest for the "museum" to collect!When I saw the threads title - but before I read the first post - I thought a complete set of dice with extra d6 and d10 (the ones most commonly used in pools). Of course if we want to crank this up to dreams level while keeping it to real items, how about the rule-books and materials to play every RPG system ever released? Not all on display, most are in the archives and the staff rotate them out.

Also the gift shop for this museum would be amazing even if it could have those kinds of items. (Of course the museum has a gift shop, how else would you be able to get out?)

Excession
2020-06-25, 12:14 AM
There ought to be some anime items as well. Purely based on what I have watched:

A Poké Ball.
Shotaro Kaneda's motorcycle (https://akira.fandom.com/wiki/Shotaro_Kaneda%27s_Bike) from Akira.
An Eva.
Sailor Moon's wand.
Yui's Heritage Cherry Sunburst Gibson Les Paul guitar "Gīta" from K-On!.
Kamina's sunglasses and Simon's core drill from Gurren Lagann.
Senketsu and Ryuko's scissor blade from Kill la Kill.

Lvl 2 Expert
2020-06-25, 01:04 AM
The puzzle box from Hellraiser.
The BFG (the doom one, because the Roald Dahl one has dreams to deliver).
Skid Vicious' sunglasses (did I win the most obscure reference award?)
A jukebox filled with movie/series/character themes.

JAL_1138
2020-06-25, 02:05 AM
Clearly in the "Cursed" category:

A Sausage Inna Bun. (How long has it been there? Would it make a difference?)

The reason Dibbler must have an absurdly high Persuasion skill is that, having sold you a Sausage Inna Bun before, he can subsequently still sell you another one.

Blueprints for a house designed by Bloody Stupid Johnson

Mail sorter at the Ankh-Morpork post-office. Expressly reality-warping.

One of the strange things about Bloody Stupid Johnson is that despite his usual failings, and aside from such oddities as interconnecting the pipes on one with the shower plumbing, or including squashed-frog noises or other (granted, properly working) sound effects whether by whim or customer requests, his pipe-organs always performed flawlessly. He may not have been much of an architect, and he may have broken the laws of physics with some other inventions, but the guy could build fantastic musical instruments.

Cluedrew
2020-06-25, 07:12 AM
Yugi's inverted pyramid that activates his super mode. I think it is safe if you get it at the end of generation 1.

Aang's original glider, the one he has in the opening.

JAL_1138
2020-06-25, 12:13 PM
One of those Sentinel Sphere thingies from the Phantasm franchise

Kaptin Keen
2020-06-25, 04:09 PM
Oh - did no Harry Potter references make it in?

The sorting hat
The Nimbus 2000
The invisibility cloak

Um ...

I was never all the keen on HP.

Voldemort's wand

That little hand puppet from Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find them - the one that charms the dragon(-thing)

Edit: Oh, oh! The Bishop android. He's almost as iconic as the alien itself. Preferably the torn-to-shreds one.

Composer99
2020-06-25, 04:32 PM
Frostmourne and the Doomhammer from Warcraft.

Bohandas
2020-06-25, 04:43 PM
I'd say that Rincewind's "Wizzard" hat is much more iconic than the halfbrick in a sock.

Edit:
And since you're doing many things from Discworld, how about Hex, the magical supercomputer?

EDIT:
from other franchises

*Jack Burton's truck and Egg Shen's six-demon bag from Big Trouble in Little China

*Leela's wrist-ama-jig from Futurama

*A Pip-Boy from Fallout

*The Bowler's haunted bowling ball from Mystery Men

*The Golden Throne from Warhammer 40k

*The neuralizer from Men in Black

*The Jewel of Idahocalese from Aqua Teen Hunger Force

*The idol from The Exorcist

*The sorting hat, invisibility cloak, and elder wand from Harry Potter

*The haunted videotape from The Ring

*Pee-Wee Herman's tricked out bicycle from Pee-Wee's Big Adventure

*The silmarils from The Silmarillion

Quertus
2020-06-26, 08:57 AM
I almost threw out my handwritten list - I guess I'd best go ahead and post the rest of my "back of the napkin" list.

diamond pick axe (pixelated sword, ender pearl)

Zombie T-Rex, 2 skulls, model city, 2½ swords, hockey stick, drum stick

Black Lotus, moxes, Jayemdae Tomb, Jitte, various "Sword of…”

Various headbands, sand "gourd"

Various Zanpakuto

Indy's whip, hat, gun… arc, crystal skull

Donkey Kong hammer & barrels, power pellets, Mario carts

Blue/Orange/Red/Purple masks next to katana, nunchucks, Sai, staff

Various guns from Doom / Quake / Unreal Tournament

Firefly, Mal's gun

Triggermortis Readykill

Kit (from Knight Rider)

Ice sculpture from Jack Frost / boogyman

A d31

Deku / Uravity / etc gear

And I can't read the rest.

I'll update the 1st post eventually.

Imbalance
2020-06-26, 11:26 AM
This thread reads incomplete without mention of the Matrix of Leadership, or Smurfberries, or fireflowers.

And if you're going down the avenue of iconic vehicles, several dedicated museums already exist. You can fill a garage just with movie Batmobiles. I'm glad to see mention of the time machine DeLorean and K.I.T.T., but let's not leave out the General Lee, the A-Team van, the Fall Guy 4x4, Baby, Magnum's 308, or the Vista Cruiser, off the top of my head. Throw in a warthog for good measure.

Swords don't get much more iconic than the Master Sword or lightsabres, but you also know what a bat'leth is when you see one. Most people don't realize how iconic some knives are, too. Do a pattern search for Double Shadow, a knife designed by Kit Rae with Gil Hibben for United Cutlery that has made appearances in dozens of shows and movies. Gil is famous for the Rambo survival knife, the very definition of iconic.

We could fill this thread with iconic comicbook items, and while it would be a disservice to downplay Iron Man's armor or the Batcowl, the Lasso of Truth or Mjolnir, the all-time Obvious Maguffin Award has to go to the Ultimate Nullifier. You don't even have to know what story it originated in - the name alone is the icon.

There is no end to the items we could add to such a list. Heck, I'll give you the pallid bust of Pallis as a geek-worthy icon, or Jenny's number, or the free parking square, and I know you Discworld fans have barely scratched the surface.

Bohandas
2020-06-26, 11:51 AM
The phonebooth from Bill & Ted

aglondier
2020-06-27, 10:19 AM
The depleted meteorite (my super ex-girlfriend)
The red and blue radioactive spider...
The blue beetle scarab
The Crimson Gem of Cyttorak
The Helm of Nabu
A vial of Pym particles
The super soldier serum
The Hero dial
A Mother Box
The Orb of Ra
The Medusa Mask
The Black Vortex
Fruit from the Xasnu aliens
A vial of the blood of Fafnir
A Bloodlines parasite
The Eternity Book

...some things should definitely be kept away from awkward young folk...

lucky9
2020-06-28, 10:00 AM
Another vote for Deathly Hallows/House Founder’s items.. Actually, almost any given HP items have become arguably “iconic” at this point.

Icingdeath and Twinkle (real)

Red and/or Blue Pills (real)

... The Normandy (real), (original, rebuilt, or retrofit).. but maybe that’s more a personal daydream than an iconic item... Is Shepard’s helmet iconic enough?