PDA

View Full Version : Got a Red Dragon Baby, What Do I Do?

Waterdeep Merch
2020-06-22, 11:56 AM
I'm in a new Out of the Abyss game. I'm playing a chaotic good Githyanki War Wizard. Through some possibly questionable actions that sound like they're leading to a massive civil war, I came into possession of a red dragon egg and hatched it via magic. I'm now considered the wyrmling's parent, and due to the magics involved here, it's going to grow up rapidly in my care and take after me more than it's innate nature.

This isn't something I was originally planning on. Who does?

I'm a very martially-oriented Wizard at level 4 at the moment, in chainmail and waving around a greatsword. I've got a 17 Strength and have already taken the feats Heavily Armored (level 1 freebie) and Resilient: Constitution. My Intelligence is at 16, Constitution just got to 14. The red dragon baby is presently a nerfed wyrmling, but it will grow up to be a normal wyrmling when I hit 5, a young adult at 10, an adult at 17, and ancient at 20.

My question is, how should I adapt to the sudden possibility of dragon riding? Is Mounted Combatant going to be worth it later? What spells synergize well here? Is it still worth it to get to Wizard 20? What about roleplaying here? I'm something of an extremist weirdo of a githyanki, a Sha'sal Khou initiate that had a few githzerai teachers and became a freedom fighter with a love of complex philosophy and discourse. How does a red dragon, even one that's going to take after me, fit into the picture? Is it going to be extremely rude to ask if I can teach him magic, regardless of how much sense that makes, given that this is already obscenely powerful?

Imbalance
2020-06-22, 01:00 PM
How are going to be able to afford to feed it?

Waterdeep Merch
2020-06-22, 01:21 PM
How are going to be able to afford to feed it?

That's another headache, and already a problem. Because I'm against feeding him humanoids or sentient creatures of any sort in-character, he's presently on a mushroom diet until we can find some meat that I wouldn't protest to. Paying for it's another bad hurdle; our decision-making as a group has led to severe gold starving. I presently have just shy of 4 gp, total.

We've got a cleric, at least. Next level I might be able to cut a deal with him for castings of create food and water, which might work until we hit level 10. By then we'll hopefully have the usual embarrassment of riches you'd expect from a D&D player. If not...

Well. I don't really have an 'otherwise' plan yet.

intregus
2020-06-22, 02:13 PM
What is your alignment, what is the general party alognment.

Will the dragon automatically be evil? Will,the evil,dragon try and corrupt your character over time?

Waterdeep Merch
2020-06-22, 02:43 PM
What is your alignment, what is the general party alognment.

Will the dragon automatically be evil? Will,the evil,dragon try and corrupt your character over time?

The dragon's alignment is presently tied to mine. I'm chaotic good, while the rest of the party is... all over the place, but mostly good. There's a neutral good hill dwarf cleric, a lawful evil githyanki fighter, a chaotic neutral drow paladin, and a drow ranger who's alignment escapes me, but I'd place her at somewhere between neutral good and true neutral. There are party-controlled NPC's as well-
Topsy and Turvy (we are well aware of what they are), Stool, and Thran. I'm explicitly unaware of their alignment, which I believe was an intentional ploy to cover up Buppido's betrayal right before we got to the red dragon egg.

It's not out of the question for the magic involved in hatching the red dragon and influencing his upbringing to not work exactly as advertised (or be a trap in and of itself), but it would be beyond my character's idealism to consider a young red dragon as anything evil based on preconceptions, especially since I don't look at red dragons as evil in general- merely misunderstood- due to my githyanki heritage and world view.

Alucard89
2020-06-22, 02:49 PM
Feeding you can take care of (or someone else in party) with Druid 1 level dip or Magic Initiate: Druid and learn Good Berries.

One Goodberry can feed creature for one day:

"Eating a berry restores 1 hit point, and the berry provides enough nourishment to sustain a creature for one day."

This way you can easly keep it feed.

As for everything else, just keep it in backpack till it's too big and after it's large enough to be mount - mount it, learn Mounted Combatant and fly on dragon.

Mellack
2020-06-22, 06:24 PM
Got a Red Dragon Baby, What Do I Do?

Spend your time ingratiating yourself to your new dragon overlord. Dragons are notoriously egotistical, even the good ones.

Kane0
2020-06-22, 06:47 PM
My question is, how should I adapt to the sudden possibility of dragon riding? Is Mounted Combatant going to be worth it later? What spells synergize well here? Is it still worth it to get to Wizard 20? What about roleplaying here? I'm something of an extremist weirdo of a githyanki, a Sha'sal Khou initiate that had a few githzerai teachers and became a freedom fighter with a love of complex philosophy and discourse. How does a red dragon, even one that's going to take after me, fit into the picture? Is it going to be extremely rude to ask if I can teach him magic, regardless of how much sense that makes, given that this is already obscenely powerful?

It'll be a smart mount so probably no real need to go into the mounted feat unless you're really set on it. A dip into Cavalier fighter might interest you if you're already martially inclined, but isn't strictly necessary. Feather fall will be a must, plus freedom of movement when available to you.

Even if the Dragon remains close to your alignment your biggest concern will be the size of its body and ego. It will probably want an equal share in loot if not more, as well as plenty of food and attention from everyone around it. Underground adventuring also don't generally favor large flying creatures.

If you get the chance I would recommend taking some downtime to research and get yourself trained up in draconic husbandry. Good news is that you're Intelligent enough to match wits with it and you're actually trained and inclined to do so, which would make for good bonding and a use of time for the both of you.

Edit: Nature vs Nurture will be a big deal for the two of you, i'd imagine. Lean on that for some good RP.

Waterdeep Merch
2020-06-22, 11:18 PM
Feeding you can take care of (or someone else in party) with Druid 1 level dip or Magic Initiate: Druid and learn Good Berries.

One Goodberry can feed creature for one day:

"Eating a berry restores 1 hit point, and the berry provides enough nourishment to sustain a creature for one day."

This way you can easly keep it feed.

As for everything else, just keep it in backpack till it's too big and after it's large enough to be mount - mount it, learn Mounted Combatant and fly on dragon.
We have plentiful access to that right now, actually. I overlooked the part where the size of the creature doesn't matter.

The hatchling is already the size of a dwarf, so no putting him in my backpack. Definitely thinking of Mounted Combatant later, though.

Spend your time ingratiating yourself to your new dragon overlord. Dragons are notoriously egotistical, even the good ones.
It's very possible, but I'm already someone who reveres red dragons as sacred. He was going to get the royal treatment no matter what.

It'll be a smart mount so probably no real need to go into the mounted feat unless you're really set on it. A dip into Cavalier fighter might interest you if you're already martially inclined, but isn't strictly necessary. Feather fall will be a must, plus freedom of movement when available to you.

Even if the Dragon remains close to your alignment your biggest concern will be the size of its body and ego. It will probably want an equal share in loot if not more, as well as plenty of food and attention from everyone around it. Underground adventuring also don't generally favor large flying creatures.

If you get the chance I would recommend taking some downtime to research and get yourself trained up in draconic husbandry. Good news is that you're Intelligent enough to match wits with it and you're actually trained and inclined to do so, which would make for good bonding and a use of time for the both of you.

Edit: Nature vs Nurture will be a big deal for the two of you, i'd imagine. Lean on that for some good RP.
I'm a fan of the Cavalier, but I think I'm with you on it being unnecessary. I actually didn't have feather fall on my docket due to how little that's ever come up for me. Mounting a flying creature (whenever that's available, due to the setting) should definitely make that a strict priority.

I have a history of over-spoiling pets and mounts as it is, this is just begging for the most extreme example. I certainly don't mind, even if gold starved. Extra-especially if I find any magic items he could use, I'll prioritize him over myself if I ever find anything worthwhile.

The idea of taking some time to study up on raising dragons and spending all my time trying to be a good parent is too adorable not to do. Out of game I just reread the relevant parts of the 3e Draconomicon and scrounged around for draconic words for a good name. I'm thinking of Irthosixen, meaning "secret fire".

firelistener
2020-06-23, 01:51 PM
Since it's going to age rapidly, it sounds like the main question lies there in how much effort you need to put in materially. Even wyrmlings are extremely dangerous and plenty capable of keeping themselves fed just fine in the wild. Maybe go on a quest to find some kobolds and set up your dragon with a stable lair, as they will almost certainly be happy to worship and serve it. With that taken care of, you can probably just leave the dragon alone most of the time and focus on communicating with it so it learns to be Good. Depending on just how quickly it ages, you might have an adult dragon buddy before long. At that point, I can't see any realistic reason you'd need to parent it beyond advising its behavior.

Sounds like the DM is intent on you either having a dragon mount or a future battle with a red dragon.

da newt
2020-06-23, 02:13 PM
Put it out of your misery now - right now! In fact, go back in time and do not allow it to hatch.

Seriously, it is a colossal disaster just waiting to kill you, your party, and every other creature that does not become one it's enslaved minions.

Or your DM will decide to ignore all D&D dragon lore and turn your red dragon into a my little pony / care bear version of a dragon, and your new pink dragon friend will grow to become the most powerful member of your party.

Nifft
2020-06-23, 03:20 PM

This is exactly correct.

Raise your dragon like you would raise a cat, except the cat can and will bat your head off if you annoy it too much.

If possible, take Expertise in tool proficiency: back scratcher, or tool proficiency: grooming kit.

Waterdeep Merch
2020-06-24, 04:18 PM
Since it's going to age rapidly, it sounds like the main question lies there in how much effort you need to put in materially. Even wyrmlings are extremely dangerous and plenty capable of keeping themselves fed just fine in the wild. Maybe go on a quest to find some kobolds and set up your dragon with a stable lair, as they will almost certainly be happy to worship and serve it. With that taken care of, you can probably just leave the dragon alone most of the time and focus on communicating with it so it learns to be Good. Depending on just how quickly it ages, you might have an adult dragon buddy before long. At that point, I can't see any realistic reason you'd need to parent it beyond advising its behavior.

Sounds like the DM is intent on you either having a dragon mount or a future battle with a red dragon.

Either is a decent story for my character- can I match my idealism with action, or do I end up short and fall victim to harsh reality? It's a good character arc.

Put it out of your misery now - right now! In fact, go back in time and do not allow it to hatch.

Seriously, it is a colossal disaster just waiting to kill you, your party, and every other creature that does not become one it's enslaved minions.

Or your DM will decide to ignore all D&D dragon lore and turn your red dragon into a my little pony / care bear version of a dragon, and your new pink dragon friend will grow to become the most powerful member of your party.

Wildly out of character for me, and arguably for D&D since halfway through 3.x when they figured that dragons weren't married to racial alignments. Arguments on tradition aside, I know my DM dislikes the idea of 'always X' species as much as I do. While there's no guarantee that he grows up to be good, it's really jumping the gun to decide he's going to be evil.

This is exactly correct.

Raise your dragon like you would raise a cat, except the cat can and will bat your head off if you annoy it too much.

If possible, take Expertise in tool proficiency: back scratcher, or tool proficiency: grooming kit.

This, though, is pretty likely. Alignments aside, we're talking a being that will eclipse me before long. Even goodly dragons have some form of draconic arrogance due to an obvious superiority. I'm thinking of treating him more like an ally from the start, not a chatty horse or a breath weapon on wings.

Hrm. Perhaps the idea of 'dragon riding' is a little early. It might make more sense to not plan for it, since it can be considered debasing. A fine thing if he suggests it, but demanding or even asking for it isn't equivalent.

Thrasher92
2020-06-25, 07:36 PM
Kill it! Kill it with... well, not fire. That would be silly.

Angelalex242
2020-06-26, 01:04 AM
Well. If it were a Gold Dragon baby, I'd start specializing in fire spells, because my new buddy is immune to those.

The Dragon is your friend. Do not EVER say the words 'my dragon.' You will be tail slapped into next week (or eaten, cause red dragon.)

Refer to the dragon by name whenever possible. The more you use the name, the more the dragon feels like a 'person' to you. And the dragon is absolutely a person.

My last character to be tightly bound with a dragon was a Paladin, and because I was an Ancients Paladin with the sentinel feat, dragon riding made sense, cause Lady Silverhand (the human name of Aerinthalia, the Silver Dragon) wanted those paladin auras protecting her from things that required saves and spell damage. She might have legendary resistance, but my +6 to saves means she needed to use it less frequently. Sentinel is a godsend in aerial combat, because when you hit a creature in the air, movement 0 means it falls for a full turn. Your draconic partner now has height advantage on the opponent, and can make excellent use of that fact. Dragons do not 'turn on a dime', so height is a very useful tool, and sentinel hands that tool out like candy.

Now. You're a wizard, not a paladin. I was a shield and a tactical advantage for my partner. If you did ride your partner, you need to consider yourself an 'artillery unit' for the dragon. Dragons in older editions could cast spells like Sorcerers. You need to add that spellcasting ability back to your partner. Have buff spells ready to help the dragon do what it does in battle, and for the love of god prepare resist cold every day. Oh, and hasting your partner is a wonderful idea and you should abuse doing it. In tighter quarters, casting fly on your partner isn't a terrible idea. Using the fly spell reduces their speed by a lot, at the tradeoff of letting them stop on a dime and corner. If your partner needs to manuever in tight quarters more than he needs strafing, consider it. In short, prepare spells with the idea of making your partner effective.

Nifft
2020-06-27, 10:47 AM
The Dragon is your friend. Do not EVER say the words 'my dragon.' You will be tail slapped into next week (or eaten, cause red dragon.) Hmm.

Maybe if you say it with sufficient reverence, like you would say for things like "my commander" or "my king" or "my god".

Nobody thinks you OWN the god when you say "my god spake unto me ...", nor that you own the king when you say "my king ordered me to ...".

So that's probably the correct way to pronounce "my dragon".

Jader7777
2020-06-28, 06:47 AM
Depending on how close to the lore your dungeon master is sticking you should probably abandon it or get ready to submit to the Red Dragon Lord of the party. Reds are extremely hard headed and demand to be in control all the time and use fear and intimidation to get what they want. Maybe you should talk to the other players in the group because the burden you're taking on will no doubt be something they are going to have to deal with. As they say "It takes a village to raise a child" except now its "It takes an Adventuring Party to raise a dragon".

da newt
2020-06-28, 08:23 AM
I'll caveat my earlier response w/ J.C. has recently tweeted that all lore about all creatures and their natural tendencies towards good/evil, violence, gluttony, etc that are traditions in D&D can always be completely ignored if your DM so chooses.

If your DM would like your red dragon to act exactly like a labradoodle puppy, JC has granted them carte blanche to do so.

It's a fantasy game - go ahead and fantasize.