PDA

View Full Version : "We don't let him play with us any more." [PrC] [PEACH]

SilveryCord
2007-10-28, 12:07 PM
Dragonslinger
A three level prestige class focused around Three Dragon Ante

Six people now sat at the legendary table of Saltsky Tavern. A fighter, a rogue, a wizard, a bard, a barbarian, and a mysterious hooded figure. As different as they were, one thing united them. A love for Three Dragon Ante. The hooded figure was winning by far, and the other players were getting angry. Eventually, the wizard angrily gripped the figures arm and accused him of cheating. His cloak slipped, and out fell hundreds of cards.

He ran out of the tavern with his winnings, the other five still in pursuit. He turned a street corner, and found himself trapped in an alley. He smiled, and brought out another card. His last card.

The others ran, ready to trap him, ready to attack. The wizard's hands glowed as he chanted the spell to make the rogue invisible. The barbarian's face twisted in anger. The bard took out his crossbow, and the fighter brought out his blade.

"Tiamat."

Dragonslinger
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+0|
+2|
+2|Gambit, Breath Weapon 1/day

2nd|
+2|
+0|
+3|
+3|Color Flight, Breath Weapon 2/day

3rd|
+3|
+1|
+3|
+3|Strength Flight, Breath Weapon 3/day, Mortal Aide, Channel the Dragon Gods[/table]

Requirements
Skills-Bluff 8 ranks, Concentration 8 ranks, Diplomacy 8 ranks, Intimidate 8 ranks, Profession (Gambler) 8 ranks, Sense Motive 8 ranks, Sleight of Hand 8 ranks.

Special-Must have won at least 5 games of Three Dragon Ante or have received at least 500 gp as a result of playing it.
Your character must own a Three Dragon Ante deck. A Three Dragon Ante deck costs the same as a deck of standard playing cards.

Hit Die: d6

Gambit (Ex)
At first level, as a standard action, the Dragonslinger may draw six cards from his deck and reveal them. If three of them are dragons of the same color, he may cure 1d8 points of damage to himself.

Breath Weapon (Su)
At first level, the Dragonslinger gains a minor breath weapon he can use once per day. To use it, he must reveal cards from his deck until he reveals a dragon. The type and shape depend on the dragon variety, while the damage dealt is equal to that dragon's trength.
At second and third level, the Dragonslinger can use the breath weapon an additional time per day.

The DC of the breath weapon is 10 + class level + Con modifier.
A line-shaped breath weapon is five feet high, five feet wide, and sixty feet long. A cone-shaped breath weapon is 30 feet long.

{table]Dragon Variety|Breath Weapon

Black|Line of acid

Blue|Line of lightning

Green|Cone of corrosive gas (acid)

Red|Cone of fire

White|Cone of cold

Brass|Line of fire

Bronze|Line of lightning

Copper|Line of acid

Gold|Cone of fire

Silver|Cone of cold

Dracolich|Cone of negative energy

Tiamat|Prismatic Spray (1)

Bahamut|Umbra of Fire (2)
[/table]
1. As the spell, Prismatic Spray, except that the range is only 30 ft.
2. Acts as both a line of fire and a cone of fire. Creatures struck by the line take damage from both the cone and the line. Instead of dealing 13 damage, the cone and the line each deal 20 damage.

Color Flight (Ex)
When a Dragonslinger uses Gambit, he cures an additional 2d8 hit points of damage.

Strength Flight (Ex)
If a Dragonslinger reveals three dragons with the same strength during a Gambit, he gets +3 to each ability score for 3 hours.

Mortal Aide (Su)
If a Dragonslinger reveals any Mortals as he is using his Dragon Breath, he receives a benefit for each Mortal revealed. These effects last for one hour.

{table]Mortal|Effect

The Archmage|+3 to Wisdom and Intelligence

The Dragonslayer|+3 to Strength and Constitution

The Druid|The next time you fail a save you may reroll it

The Fool|+1 to Dexterity

The Priest|+10 feet to movement speed

The Princess|Gain an additional use of your Breath Weapon within the next hour

The Thief|+5 to all trained skill checks
[/table]

Channel the Dragon Gods (Ex)
At third level, once per day, as a full round action, you may rearrange your deck in any order without losing your Dragonslinger powers.

Ex-Dragonslingers
A Dragonslinger who tries to use one of his or her dragonslinger class abilities after purposefully rearranging his or her deck loses all of his or her class abilities. The Dragonslinger may, however, cheat in a normal game of Three Dragon Ante.

Edit: The backstory of the creation of Three Dragon Ante can be found here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dd/20051118a). The basic deck construction is:

The Archmage-9
Bahamut-13
Black Dragon-1, 2, 3, 5, and 7
Blue Dragon-1, 2, 4, 7, 9, and 11
Brass Dragon-1, 2, 4, 5, 7 and 9
Bronze Dragon-1, 3, 6, 7, 9, and 11
Copper Dragon-1, 3, 5, 7, 8, and 10
Dracolich-10
The Dragonslayer-8
The Druid-6
The Fool-3
Gold Dragon-2, 4, 6, 9, 11, and 13
Green Dragon-1, 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10
The Priest-5
The Princess-4
Red Dragon-2, 3, 5, 8, 10, 12
Silver Dragon-2, 3, 6, 8, 10, 12
The Thief-7
Tiamat-13
White Dragon-1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8
For a total of 68 cards, I think.

smart thog
2007-10-28, 12:35 PM
Two things. Hit, where is it? second, let them use the spell luck( like cheat but not evil), once per day per level.

SilveryCord
2007-10-28, 01:26 PM
hmm, I fixed the hit dice. Where are Luck and Cheat from? They aren't in Spell Compendium.

DracoDei
2007-10-28, 01:31 PM
A link to the rules or at least the deck composition for 3 Dragon Ante would be most helpful in understanding this...
I assume that using a stacked deck with the powers is considered out of the question...

SilveryCord
2007-10-28, 03:44 PM
I added references all around for the Three Dragon Ante.

Is this too over-the-curve power wise? I thought it'd be boring as a 5 or 10 level PrC, so I stuffed it into three, but now I'm thinking that a Rogue 2/Dragonslinger 1 would be really powerful, with the ability to situationally heal 1d8 to themselves and to deal up to 80 damage once per day with a breath weapon. What should I do for requirements to get into the class?

The Three Dragon Ante rulebook also features the interactions of a character's skills with Three Dragon Ante, a variant which provided a little inspiration for this class. Should I incorporate those in, and expand on those ideas?

YuanTi
2007-10-28, 06:46 PM
Really cool idea.

A rogue getting in at level 3 is a problem though. Levels 3 and 4 aren't a problem, but at level 5, he can spend 1 round of combat to set up his deck to be:

All Mortals
Tiamat
Bahamut (Due to Princess)
Dragons in sets of 3.

And then destroy the combat, and keep himself healed for the day.

Either up the skill requirements (to 8ish) or make it a 5 level class.

I prefer it as a 3 level class though so the skill change is probably better.

Arakune
2007-10-28, 07:08 PM
Don't change the Class, change the cards mechanics. Make it more like Magic the Gathering(tm), like you need mana to activate the cards or some rare cards (tiamat and bahamut) must be earned by entering in contact with the creature/avatar/cleric, and add some other cards (the Mind-squid-thing, grants telepathy or some psionic like abilities) were you must "capture" the creature power after you defeat it or... (list goes).

Reptilius
2007-10-28, 07:10 PM
Love the idea. I got Three Dragon Ante as a gift a year or so ago,and have been wondering how to use it in a game. Channel the Dragon Gods just seems a teeny bit overpowered. Maybe have it be Channel [x], where x is Tiamat, Bahamut, or the Dracolich. Each would give some breath weapon power-up.

Bahamut: Anyone who fails their save against the Umbra of Fire must make a Fortitude save at DC 10 + class level + Con modifier or be disintegrated. The Umbra itself does double damage.

Tiamat: Instead of a prismatic spray effect, Tiamat's breath weapon deals damage as if you had used the breath weapons of power level 10 black, blue, green, red, and white dragons simultaneously.

Dracolich: Anyone who fails their save against the cone of negative energy must make a Fortitude save at DC 10 + class level + Con modifier or take 1d6 negative levels. The cone itself does triple damage.

I'm not sure if these should be replacements/additions to their normal effects, or only can be activated x/day. Those skill requirements should also be 8 ranks each.

SilveryCord
2007-10-28, 08:26 PM
Don't change the Class, change the cards mechanics. Make it more like Magic the Gathering(tm), like you need mana to activate the cards or some rare cards (tiamat and bahamut) must be earned by entering in contact with the creature/avatar/cleric, and add some other cards (the Mind-squid-thing, grants telepathy or some psionic like abilities) were you must "capture" the creature power after you defeat it or... (list goes).

The problem with that is that in the context of Three Dragon Ante it doesn't really make sense. 3DA is an incredibly common tavern game (apparently) in the vanilla DnD universe, and it's more similar to Poker than Magic. I can't add cards or remove cards; the deck is a product of Wizards of the Coast.

I'm definitely changing the skills to 8. Might add another requirement, though.

Deesix
2007-10-29, 12:35 AM
Maybe instead of Tiamat being a normal prismatic spray, limit the damage to her power (or 20) for each element to keep things under control. Still pretty awesome. Bahumat's fire should not be resisted in the normal way. Maybe make it like flame strike, being half divine energy.

Edit: I also don't see the need for Full BAB. He doesn't use it for any of his class-abilities.

The Neoclassic
2007-10-29, 06:43 AM
I also don't see the need for Full BAB. He doesn't use it for any of his class-abilities.

Yeah, the full BAB doesn't make sense. One already picks up good skills, two good saves, and special abilities from this class; I'd recommend using middle BAB.

smart thog
2007-10-29, 05:36 PM
hmm, I fixed the hit dice. Where are Luck and Cheat from? They aren't in Spell Compendium.

Cheat is from BoVD and Dracominom, luck is the same but does not have the evil component.

It seems the damage on breath weapon is too low. The max is is forty damage for Bahamut if the victem is placed right. clarify.