PDA

View Full Version : Question for dms about animate objects and bows (long or short)

Gamerawsome101
2020-06-22, 04:20 PM
The question is I can animate 10 bows. Can I use my action and bonus action to load them and have them fire on their own. Like I load, it it draws, and fires.

Aeriox
2020-06-22, 08:19 PM
By RAW, no. This is definitely an ask your dm question. I would rule that it’s fine, but keep in mind you’ll be doing significantly less damage then if you were using a cantrip with your action and just using the default slam attacks for the animated bows. I’m also unsure of how you’re loading 10 bows in one turn, even with spending your action.

heavyfuel
2020-06-22, 09:39 PM
No.

If you command an object to attack, it can make a single melee attack against a creature within 5 feet of it.

Even you are loading them yourself (which would definitely take longer than a Bonus Action) they can only make melee attacks

Chronos
2020-06-23, 07:36 AM
RAW, no. They can only do what the spell says they can do.
Rules as Cool, I'd probably still say no, for bows: Maybe the bow can flex and loose, but there's no way for it to "be loaded": It can't hold the arrow in place. But I probably would allow it for crossbows.

heavyfuel
2020-06-23, 07:45 AM
RAW, no. They can only do what the spell says they can do.
Rules as Cool, I'd probably still say no, for bows: Maybe the bow can flex and loose, but there's no way for it to "be loaded": It can't hold the arrow in place. But I probably would allow it for crossbows.

I agree that for crossbows it can work. However, I would require two commands to make it work. If you command "attack", then they just swing with their slam attacks. So they'd first need a command "aim" followed by a command "shoot".

Since I allow bonus actions as actions, it can be done in one turn by spending both your action and bonus action. You still need to individually load all crossbows, which I'd rule as one action per 2 crossbows (I wouldn't allow bonus action to be used for this except for Thief Rogues)

Gamerawsome101
2020-06-23, 08:06 AM
This was not a RAW question I knew that I couldn't do it by RAW but dnd is about having fun. Thank you for your answers