PDA

View Full Version : Getting acid spell(s) on a spellthief.

Nighthawk513
2020-06-22, 04:31 PM
Recently decided to try 3.5 after a long time in 5e, and decided to play a Draconic Halfling Spellthief, because that sounded cool. I'm loosly basing some of the theme off a copper dragon, and would like some acid spells to use. Ideally Orb of Acid, Lesser.

I would like to avoid multiclassing, and was wondering what other ways there were to get either acid spells or a ranged acid attack as a single class spellthief, either from feats or magic items. Ideally, I would really like a way to get Orb of Acid, Lesser as a spellthief spell. I know I could get it as a wand, but looking for a less consumable method, and not just an Eternal Wand. Will also settle for an item that allows me to do a ranged acid attack, that's not a weapon. Already plan on having an acid effect on my armor.

Cygnia
2020-06-22, 04:37 PM
Melf's Acid Arrow?

Quentinas
2020-06-22, 04:53 PM
Use shape soulmeld to gain Dissolving Spite?

You could use the reserve feat for the acid to gain an attack , if you can use the caustic disdain spelll of dragon 347 Is a Enchantment /Evocation spell with tag Acid and Evil so maybe you can use it(but for a Copper dragon flavor is not ideal)

DrMartin
2020-06-22, 05:10 PM
get an ooze mephit as your improved familiar and steal his spell-like ability, cast it, steal it again, cast it again...(stealing doesn't use up the uses / day of the ability, just "locks" it for the creature until you use it).

otherwise talk to your DM about allowing the feat extra spell allowing you to get a spell in line with your draconic heritage.

Thurbane
2020-06-22, 05:30 PM
Energy Substitution (acid) feat + the following spells (not a very big list, unfortunately):

Body Of The Sun
Fire Trap
Flame Arrow
Kaupaer's Quickblast (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20050112a)
Sonic Weapon
Touchstone Lightning

daremetoidareyo
2020-06-22, 05:32 PM
Dig around the domains and do godsblood spellthief?

Psyren
2020-06-22, 05:47 PM
I know you want to avoid multiclassing, but that's actually the best route for a Spellthief thanks to the Master Spellthief feat from Complete Scoundrel. It makes it so that they get a lot more out of multiclassing than most classes do.

el minster
2020-06-22, 06:39 PM
I know you want to avoid multiclassing, but that's actually the best route for a Spellthief thanks to the Master Spellthief feat from Complete Scoundrel. It makes it so that they get a lot more out of multiclassing than most classes do.

Dude, he's new to the game. A very simple answer is to get a friend to prepare the spell and steal it. Remember since you can recieve spells as gifts you could at higher levels team up with a spellcaster to discharge their spells at double speed. Actions are everything in 3.5.

Psyren
2020-06-22, 07:06 PM
Dude, he's new to the game. A very simple answer is to get a friend to prepare the spell and steal it. Remember since you can recieve spells as gifts you could at higher levels team up with a spellcaster to discharge their spells at double speed. Actions are everything in 3.5.

If they're new, all the more reason to point out Master Spellthief to them... "dude."

Anthrowhale
2020-06-22, 07:07 PM
At level 8, you can qualify for the 'channel charge' feat which allows you to pick up a wand or staff with the spell you want and power it off of your own slots. Note that the wand/staff may have only one charge left, so it could be pretty cheap.

el minster
2020-06-22, 07:51 PM
If they're new, all the more reason to point out Master Spellthief to them... "dude."

Dude, introduce it to them gradually people aren't able to comprehend all of the edition at once.

Troacctid
2020-06-22, 07:53 PM
Master Spellthief is actually a very good solution to this particular problem, though.

el minster
2020-06-22, 07:56 PM
Yeah, but can't you take it without multiclassing?

Psyren
2020-06-22, 09:30 PM
Dude, introduce it to them gradually people aren't able to comprehend all of the edition at once.

One feat is hardly "all of the edition."

Falontani
2020-06-22, 09:36 PM
if your character is already created:
Shape Soulmeld: Blinding Spittle

if you have not created your character, or have not had it finalized yet:
Strongheart Halfling (strongheart is a variant of halfling just like Wood elf is a variant of Elf)
Take the feats: Dragontouched and Draconic Heritage (Copper).
at 3rd level (or first if your DM allows flaws, you should ask) take Draconic Breath.

Whenever you have an arcane spell slot (such as your own spells, or spells you have stolen) you may spend a standard action to expend the slot (or stolen spell) and produce a 60 ft line of Acid that deals 2d6 points of acid damage per spell level of the expended slot (Max 8d6 using Spellthief spell slots, or 18d6 if you use a stolen ninth level spell).

With this one I also suggest taking Draconic Claw, which allows you to steal a spell (as usual), then when you cast the spell you can make a free claw attack as a swift action, which you could use to... steal another spell!

el minster
2020-06-23, 01:09 AM
One feat is hardly "all of the edition."

Not the feat, the crazy multiclassing that goes with it.

Psyren
2020-06-23, 01:12 AM
Not the feat, the crazy multiclassing that goes with it.

Two classes isn't "crazy multiclassing" either.

Your table must be quite austere.

el minster
2020-06-23, 01:43 AM
A 9 Bard/ 1 Spellthief/ 10 level Sumblime Chord with the feat has Caster Level 38 due to the feat's wierd interaction with the PrC's way of calculating caster level and that is only the tip of the iceberg!

Psyren
2020-06-23, 01:48 AM
Dude, who said anything about Sublime Chord?

el minster
2020-06-23, 01:53 AM
Dude, you're opening up a can of worms by multiclassing with that feat.

Psyren
2020-06-23, 02:05 AM
Dude, you're opening up a can of worms by multiclassing with that feat.

Which brings me right back to:

Your table must be quite austere.

And that's where I'll leave it. Dude.

el minster
2020-06-23, 02:14 AM
Which brings me right back to:

And that's where I'll leave it. Dude.

Good Night : )

Nighthawk513
2020-06-23, 06:01 AM
Looking through the suggestions, and doing some more research, likely going to end up going with the Extra Spell feat.
I know I could multiclass into, say, sorcerer with Master Spellthief, but I am trying to avoid eating an xp penalty on top of the level adjustment I already have.

Since this is a case of tacking on something mostly for flavor onto a build, I don't want to commit a lot of build effort or resources to accomplishing it. Realistically, was looking more for a magic item similar to a Knowstone or Runestaff that would allow me to use my own slots to cast an acid attack spell.

daremetoidareyo
2020-06-23, 06:58 AM
Godsblood spelltheft (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070606) paired with the slime domain will get you acid arrow, as well as 8 other spells. Problem is, none of those gods get slime, but you could ask. You could also ask for dragon domain and to swap a few acid spells in.

el minster
2020-06-23, 10:47 AM
But why don't you just get you friend to prepare some acid spells and share them?

Gruftzwerg
2020-06-23, 10:57 AM
PRC option: 2nd lvl of Wyrm Wizard lets you add a spell from another class to your spell-list.

why no ranged weapons allowed? you could go for:

Non-Magical option: Oil Chamber (+1000g) weapon/armor enhancement
Can also be added on any missile weapon. Contains any liquid you fill into it.

Magical option:
1d6 Acid dmg enhancement on any ranged weapon.

JNAProductions
2020-06-23, 11:11 AM
Looking through the suggestions, and doing some more research, likely going to end up going with the Extra Spell feat.
I know I could multiclass into, say, sorcerer with Master Spellthief, but I am trying to avoid eating an xp penalty on top of the level adjustment I already have.

Since this is a case of tacking on something mostly for flavor onto a build, I don't want to commit a lot of build effort or resources to accomplishing it. Realistically, was looking more for a magic item similar to a Knowstone or Runestaff that would allow me to use my own slots to cast an acid attack spell.

Does your DM enforce multiclass penalties? Most do not, so find out if your DM is one of the few who does.