PDA

View Full Version : 17 Wizard / 3 Art Feats?

Zotharius
2020-06-22, 07:59 PM
I was brainstorming an Evocation wizard starting with the first 3 levels in Artillerist Artificer as a Vuman rolled stats 8 14 16 18 9 8 after racial bonuses. I was considering starting level 1 with Elemental Adept Fire to make firebolt / scorching ray / fireball more reliable (everyone and their mother wants to resist fire. Then at 7, ASI +2INT, and at 11 Spell Sniper. But i was wondering.. is this the best order to take them? Is EA worth it? Is there something that may be better? I feel like waiting til 11 for SS might be kind of annoying <.<

CheddarChampion
2020-06-23, 12:52 PM
EA is good if you want to focus on one damage type. If you take spells with a variety of damage types you'll be fine.

I wouldn't take spell sniper at all. Most spells you'll want to cast have saving throws and not an attack roll. Fireball, chain lightning, cone of cold & toll the dead vs firebolt, ice knife & scorching ray...
Even if you use attack spells a lot, you only improve their range and ignore 1/2 and 3/4 cover. It won't improve anything in most battles.

If you do things in the order you already have them it'll be fine overall, though you might feel underpowered around level 5. You'll have 2nd level spell slots but only 1st level spells. Compared to extra attack or 3rd level spells.
I suggest taking 1 level in artificer, then 5 in wizard, 2 more in artificer, and the rest in wizard.

Your build will be fun. Maybe not optimized, but fun.