PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Path of the Howling Dervish [Barbarian Subclass]

Amechra
2020-06-23, 03:17 AM
The goal here is to make a less-magical Barbarian subclass that encourages you to dual-wield. Critiques are welcome.

Path of the Howling Dervish

Grinning Lunatic
Your rage tends to lurk under the surface, which unsettles those around you.
At third level, you gain proficiency in the Intimidation skill. If you already were proficient in Intimidation, you gain proficiency with another Barbarian class skill instead.

Thrashing Frenzy
Your fighting style is bestial, relying on multiple vicious attacks to destabilize and brutalize your opponents.
Starting at third level, melee weapon attacks you make against a creature you have attacked with a different weapon this round deal an extra 1d4 damage of the same type as the weapon, as you overwhelm your opponent's defenses. In addition, whenever you engage in two-weapon fighting, you may make an attack with your offhand weapon as part of the bonus action to enter Rage.

Howling Aggression
In life, just like on the battlefield, unmitigated aggression can easily disrupt carefully-laid plans.
At 6th level, you may make a Charisma (Intimidation) check in place of a Wisdom (Insight) check, as long as you immediately follow up this roll by threatening the creature that prompted the roll. Similarly, you may make a melee weapon attack against a suspected illusion in place of the normal Intelligence (Investigation) check.

Dance of Brutality
Just because your fighting style is brutal doesn't mean that it isn't elegant in its own way.
At 10th level, whenever you take the Attack action and attack two different creatures, you may make an additional attack with your offhand weapon against a third creature. Whenever you hit a creature with a weapon attack, they have disadvantage on any opportunity attacks they make against you until the beginning of your next turn.

Eye of the Storm
Your weapons rise to intercept every threat, leaving you untouched by the perils of combat.
At 14th level, as long as you engage in two-weapon fighting, ranged weapon attacks made against you have disadvantage. In addition, whenever you make an opportunity attack while Raging, you may make an additional offhand weapon attack as part of the same action.

---

So, some notes:

• Other than the bonus damage, most of these features would still work if your off-hand weapon was a javelin or hand crossbow. I'm fine with this, since that's generally going to be less optimal than picking up another melee weapon.

• The bonus 1d4 damage is supposed to make up for the fact that you don't get to add your Strength bonus to off-hand attacks. The wording is set up so that you can "tag" a creature with your offhand weapon to deal the bonus damage on opportunity attacks against that creature.

• Howling Aggression is my favorite feature of the set. I wish it was less of a ribbon, but the mental images it gives me make me giggle.

• Eye of the Storm does let you make that offhand attack against a creature that didn't trigger the original opportunity attack. I stand by this decision.

sandmote
2020-06-27, 10:15 PM
Barbarians usually have a ribbon at 10th level. I would actually move Howling Aggression to 3rd and Dance of Brutality to 6th, and put in something appropriately underwhelming for 10th. Otherwise, maybe switch the two?

JNAProductions
2020-06-28, 10:42 AM
Looks pretty neat to me. Not 100% sure on the math, but nothing leaps out as broken.

Overall, I'd certainly be willing to let a player use this in a game of mine.

Composer99
2020-06-28, 12:31 PM
Maybe swap the 6th level and 10th level features?

This seems better at fulfilling at least one form of the archetype fantasy of a berserker (a wildly charging, howling maniac who assaults you with a flurry of hacking blows) than does the berserker primal path. Not saying that's a bad thing; just remarking on it.

Yakk
2020-07-08, 07:47 AM
Mainly wording changes. One thing got a bit weaker to make the wording elegant, the other a bit stronger.

Thrashing Frenzy
Your fighting style is bestial, relying on multiple vicious attacks to destabilize and brutalize your opponents.
Starting at third level, melee weapon attacks you make against a creature you have attacked with a different weapon this round deal an extra 1d4 damage of the same type as the weapon, as you overwhelm your opponent's defenses. In addition, whenever you engage in two-weapon fighting, you may make an attack with your offhand weapon as part of the bonus action to enter Rage.

Reword; "When you make your two-weapon fighting bonus action attack, you may expend a use of Rage to enter it"?

This isn't quite as good (as your main hand attacks aren't rage-enhanced), but your wording is ... off a bit.

"engage in two-weapon fighting" isn't a thing in 5e. There are rules saying that after you make an attack with a weapon as part of an attack action, if you hold another weapon in your other hand with certain restrictions, you can make a bonus action attack with it.

Until you make that bonus action attack you aren't "engaging in two-weapon fighting".

At 6th level, you may make a Charisma (Intimidation) check in place of a Wisdom (Insight) check, as long as you immediately follow up this roll by threatening the creature that prompted the roll. Similarly, you may make a melee weapon attack against a suspected illusion in place of the normal Intelligence (Investigation) check.
Also needs rewording.

At 6th level, you may threaten a creature with charisma(intimidation). If this beats their passive charisma(bluff), you learn from the reaction to the threat if the last thing they said was a lie. In addition, if you make an attack on an illusion and your attack roll beats the intelligence(investigation) DC of the illusion, you see through the illusion.

At 10th level, whenever you take the Attack action and attack two different creatures, you may make an additional attack with your offhand weapon against a third creature. Whenever you hit a creature with a weapon attack, they have disadvantage on any opportunity attacks they make against you until the beginning of your next turn.
Reword again, this time with a bit more power.
At 10th level, the first time on your turn you make a weapon attack on a creature as part of the attack action, you may make a weapon attack with a different weapon on a different creature as well. In addition, creatures you have attacked have disadvantage on opportunity attacks against you until the start of your next turn.

This does away with "must attack 2 to make an attack on a 3rd", but tightens the language.

At 14th level, as long as you engage in two-weapon fighting, ranged weapon attacks made against you have disadvantage. In addition, whenever you make an opportunity attack while Raging, you may make an additional offhand weapon attack as part of the same action.
At 14th level, whenever you make a bonus action two-weapon fighting attack, ranged weapon attacks on you have disadvantage until the start of your next turn. In addition, when you make an opportunity attack, you may attack up to two different weapons held in two different hands.