PDA

View Full Version : Which feats grants bonus feats?

shaikujin
2020-06-23, 05:18 AM
Trying to find a more efficient way to do DCFS. The few that I know:

1) Meditation of War Mastery grants Weapon Focus
2) Don Mantle (Mantle that grants feats like Conflict/Creation) grants Weapon Focus/Ectopic Form
3) Planar Touchstone -> Catalogues of Enlightenment (Domains that grant feat like War domain) grants Weapon Focus

Are there anymore? Dragon mag is fine.
I remember some racial feats that grants Martial Proficiency to racial weapons, but can't recall where.
Need something that grants a permanent feat to the character. Things like kicking away a familiar to regain Alertness doesn't count, nor does items that grant feats.

Thanks!

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-06-23, 06:03 AM
Does it have to be actual feats, or do effects with the same benefits as other feats count?

For instance, Improved Toughness grants the effects of Toughness every 3 levels.

Supernatural Transformation (Psionics) grants the effects of Improved Manifester every 4 effective manifester levels for each manifesting class you've got (plus a LOT more).

Ancestral Relic provides the benefits of Mercantile Background many times over when it comes to gp.

Landlord provides the feats of Ancestral Relic and Mercantile Background many, many, many, many, many, many, many times over if applied to a magic item that's also a stronghold (at least some of the time).

Etc.

Zerryzerry
2020-06-23, 07:00 AM
Does Wow of Poverty count?

it gives you one exalted feat the moment you select it, and a bonus feat every 2 levels (like a fighter)

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-06-23, 07:06 AM
You don't want items that grant feats, but what about feats that grant items that grant feats? Item Familiar, Ancestral Relic, and Landlord do this. Or can, anyway.

Also, Leadership with various characters who can grant you feats, like casters (with heroics), and manifesters (when you have feat leech).

it gives you one exalted feat the moment you select it, and a bonus feat every 2 levels (like a fighter)Does it count if it sucks away your will to live in exchange and pushes your party to ensure your desire to end it all is fulfilled?

shaikujin
2020-06-23, 07:35 AM
Does it have to be actual feats, or do effects with the same benefits as other feats count?

For instance, Improved Toughness grants the effects of Toughness every 3 levels.

Supernatural Transformation (Psionics) grants the effects of Improved Manifester every 4 effective manifester levels for each manifesting class you've got (plus a LOT more).

Ancestral Relic provides the benefits of Mercantile Background many times over when it comes to gp.

Landlord provides the feats of Ancestral Relic and Mercantile Background many, many, many, many, many, many, many times over if applied to a magic item that's also a stronghold (at least some of the time).

Etc.

You don't want items that grant feats, but what about feats that grant items that grant feats? Item Familiar, Ancestral Relic, and Landlord do this.

Also, Leadership with various characters who can grant you feats, like casters (with heroics), and manifesters (when you have feat leech).

Does it count if it sucks away your will to live in exchange and pushes your party to ensure your desire to end it all is fulfilled?

Good ideas, but I'm looking for perma feats on the character which I can DCFS away and repeat to get extra feats whenever I need. Brief explanation:
1) DCFS 1 existing feat (say Craft Construct) into Meditation of War Master
2) DCFS the bonus Weapon Focus into Extra Slot (for spells)
3) DCFS the Meditation of War Master feat back to Craft Construct
Repeat from step 1.

Does it count if it sucks away your will to live in exchange and pushes your party to ensure your desire to end it all is fulfilled?

I'm game :D

shaikujin
2020-06-23, 07:38 AM

it gives you one exalted feat the moment you select it, and a bonus feat every 2 levels (like a fighter)

Ahh I forgot about Vow of Poverty.
Yes it counts, but unfortunately it nerfs other aspects of the character too much...

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-06-23, 07:47 AM
There are feats that grant domains (such as Catalogues of Enlightenment), so take the Craft Domain for Skill Focus, the Metal Domain for Martial Weapon Proficiency and Weapon Focus for the warhammer, and the War Domain for Martial Weapon Proficiency and Weapon Focus in your deity's favored weapon.

Shape Soulmeld for the following: Basilisk Mask (bound to the brow for Blind-Fight), Bloodtalons (bound to the hands for Weapon Finesse [natural weapons only]), Hunter's Circlet (bound to the crown for Track), Kruthik Claws (bound to the hands for Weapon Finesse [natural weapons only]), Mauling Gauntlets (bound to the hands for Improved Unarmed Strike), Totem Avatar (bound to the arms for Improved Grapple), Wind Cloak (bound to the shoulders for a better version of Deflect Arrows), Wormtail Belt (bound to the waist for Awesome Blow), Astral Vambraces (bound to the arms for Cleave, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Natural Attack, Mobility, Power Attack, or a slightly watered down Improved Trip).

Unavenger
2020-06-23, 07:51 AM
While it's technically not what you asked for, Seelie Court Noble Kelir (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fey/20030815a) is automatically granted as a bonus feat every time your parents present you to the court (if they're seelie court nobles), and you can therefore probably just get the feat and trade it out every time your parents present you to the court.

Vizzerdrix
2020-06-23, 07:53 AM
Etc.

Soo... a weapon combined with Daryls (Darryins? Dougs?) instant fortress? That would actually be kind of cool.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-06-23, 08:11 AM
Soo... a weapon combined with Daryls (Darryins? Dougs?) instant fortress? That would actually be kind of cool.Kinda puts the fate of the Wicked Witch of the East into a bit more perspective, dunnit?

shaikujin
2020-06-23, 08:32 AM
There are feats that grant domains (such as Catalogues of Enlightenment), so take the Craft Domain for Skill Focus, the Metal Domain for Martial Weapon Proficiency and Weapon Focus for the warhammer, and the War Domain for Martial Weapon Proficiency and Weapon Focus in your deity's favored weapon.

Shape Soulmeld for the following: Basilisk Mask (bound to the brow for Blind-Fight), Bloodtalons (bound to the hands for Weapon Finesse [natural weapons only]), Hunter's Circlet (bound to the crown for Track), Kruthik Claws (bound to the hands for Weapon Finesse [natural weapons only]), Mauling Gauntlets (bound to the hands for Improved Unarmed Strike), Totem Avatar (bound to the arms for Improved Grapple), Wind Cloak (bound to the shoulders for a better version of Deflect Arrows), Wormtail Belt (bound to the waist for Awesome Blow), Astral Vambraces (bound to the arms for Cleave, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Natural Attack, Mobility, Power Attack, or a slightly watered down Improved Trip).

Yes, Planar Touchstone -> Catalogues of Enlightenment definitely works.

Shaping Souldmeld unfortunately doesn't grant the feat "permanently". I want to avoid situations where I have to explain how Instant duration spells work and actually makes 1 non-perma feat into a perma feat :D

shaikujin
2020-06-23, 08:38 AM
While it's technically not what you asked for, Seelie Court Noble Kelir (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fey/20030815a) is automatically granted as a bonus feat every time your parents present you to the court (if they're seelie court nobles), and you can therefore probably just get the feat and trade it out every time your parents present you to the court.

Thanks!

I have this weird scene in my head where the parents start their presentation with "We present the heir to our house...house...house...house..." like a broken record while the heir furiously casts DCFS in the background heh

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-06-23, 12:37 PM
There are ways to make items permanently a part of yourself.

Grafts, for instance. (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?177889-Brainstorm-for-Psionic-Tricks-Tactics-and-Combos-Handbook&p=23285432&viewfull=1#post23285432)

Enhance a graft as a +1 weapon, then enhance it with:

—Mighty sweeping (MoF 145, grants Improved Trip as a bonus feat.)
—Breaking blade (AEG 103, Grants the Improved Sunder feat; deals double-dmg to simple & martial reach wpns.)
—Disarming flail (AEG 103, Grants the Improved Disarm feat; grants +2 to disarm attempts.)
—Griffonlance of goring (Wizards.com, Grants Spirited Charge feat; grants a +10 circumstance bonus on Ride checks when riding griffons.)
—Lance of Faerun (MoF 143, Grants Spirited Charge feat.)
—Pearl trident (SW 130, Grants Aquatic Shot feat.)
—Rankbreaker glaive (A&EG 114, Grants Cleave feat.)
—Glorious pearl (SW 130, Grants Extra Turning feat.)
—Rapier of disarming (DrMag#322, Grants +4 to disarming actions, as well as the Improved Disarm feat.)
—Staff of the crushing breeze (DrMag#325, Grants Improved Trip feat.)
—Silver sickles of Soranth (Wizards.com, Grants Ambidexterity and Two-Weapon Fighting feats.)
—Silverhelm of the guardian (Wizards.com, Grants a +5 sacred bonus on Listen and Spot checks. Moreover, it grants its wearer darkvision and the Improved Initiative feat.)

shaikujin
2020-06-24, 09:06 AM
There are ways to make items permanently a part of yourself.

Grafts, for instance. (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?177889-Brainstorm-for-Psionic-Tricks-Tactics-and-Combos-Handbook&p=23285432&viewfull=1#post23285432)

Enhance a graft as a +1 weapon, then enhance it with:

—Mighty sweeping (MoF 145, grants Improved Trip as a bonus feat.)
—Breaking blade (AEG 103, Grants the Improved Sunder feat; deals double-dmg to simple & martial reach wpns.)
—Disarming flail (AEG 103, Grants the Improved Disarm feat; grants +2 to disarm attempts.)
—Griffonlance of goring (Wizards.com, Grants Spirited Charge feat; grants a +10 circumstance bonus on Ride checks when riding griffons.)
—Lance of Faerun (MoF 143, Grants Spirited Charge feat.)
—Pearl trident (SW 130, Grants Aquatic Shot feat.)
—Rankbreaker glaive (A&EG 114, Grants Cleave feat.)
—Glorious pearl (SW 130, Grants Extra Turning feat.)
—Rapier of disarming (DrMag#322, Grants +4 to disarming actions, as well as the Improved Disarm feat.)
—Staff of the crushing breeze (DrMag#325, Grants Improved Trip feat.)
—Silver sickles of Soranth (Wizards.com, Grants Ambidexterity and Two-Weapon Fighting feats.)
—Silverhelm of the guardian (Wizards.com, Grants a +5 sacred bonus on Listen and Spot checks. Moreover, it grants its wearer darkvision and the Improved Initiative feat.)

Thx! You are helpful as always.
The thing is that grafting doesn't really work well for what I have in mind to loop DCFS... Once I DCFS the feat from the graft away, I'd have to implant a new graft.

Ruethgar
2020-06-24, 10:05 AM
The thing is that grafting doesn't really work well for what I have in mind to loop DCFS... Once I DCFS the feat from the graft away, I'd have to implant a new graft.

If the graft were your Ancestral Relic you may very well be able to basically reforge it. I recall there being a way to manage that. But I’ve got morning brain and can’t think of it atm.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-06-24, 12:07 PM
The thing is that grafting doesn't really work well for what I have in mind to loop DCFS... Once I DCFS the feat from the graft away, I'd have to implant a new graft.Well, if the graft or implant is very small and you use this (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?246396-Another-Addition-To-The-Tippyverse) to make lots and lots (and lots) of them...

Add in the ringsword and sizing enhancements to the implant, and make the implant a poison ring, from Dragon Compendium, you could chain a ton of Fine-sized implant rings together, as many as you want, and all of them the size of a speck of dust.

tyckspoon
2020-06-24, 12:21 PM
Well, if the graft or implant is very small and you use this (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?246396-Another-Addition-To-The-Tippyverse) to make lots and lots (and lots) of them...

Add in the ringsword and sizing enhancements to the implant, and make the implant a poison ring, from Dragon Compendium, you could chain a ton of Fine-sized implant rings together, as many as you want, and all of them the size of a speck of dust.

Magic tattoo, only the 'ink' is actually made of thousands of miniscule magic items..

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-06-24, 12:26 PM
Magic tattoo, only the 'ink' is actually made of thousands of miniscule magic items..Well... (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20031225a)

Actually, that's how you could "enhance" the psychoactive skin of proteus I linked to earlier: with magical tattoos that act as magic item enhancements.

noob
2020-06-24, 03:21 PM
Obtain familiar grants alertness as long as the familiar is close.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-06-24, 04:00 PM
Take feat leech as a power known and Psicrystal Affinity. Psicrystals gain actual HD, and as creatures with Int scores, they gain feats as you (and they) gain levels. Use feat leech to borrow their feats anytime you want. And since they can take any feats they qualify for, give them feats that are useful for both you and them, like Hidden Talent for a useful power you want occasionally (and it wants frequently), like psionic minor creation.

And since you only get the feats when you manifest feat leech, you don't have to DCFS them out. Just make sure they're the feats you want to begin with.

Alternatively, give them feats that are just as useful to you when it has them, such as Draconic Aura: Vigor, or things that massively help its survivability, like Darkstalker.

Double-alternatively, item creation feats, so you can have them when you want.

Also, don't forget that every class you take (aside from the ones mentioned in the feat itself) give you Light Armor Proficiency. So dip into psion? Light Armor Proficiency. And lots of other classes grant Medium and Heavy Armor Proficiency, Shield Proficiency, and occasionally Tower Shield Proficiency. Thing is, even if you DCFS them out, many classes still grant proficiency due to the wording in the classes themselves.

shaikujin
2020-06-28, 02:40 AM
Thank you all!