PDA

View Full Version : What did this character mean?

Ginasius
2020-06-23, 06:46 AM
I've been thinking about opening this thread for a couple of years. It was going to be called "Help me. I can't understand Durkon's accent."

Would you kindly help a non-native English speaker with some peculiarities of the speech transcript in this comic?

First question. I've been reading Start of Darkness recently. In the page 91 there's a fight in a circus. There is an artist swalloging a sword and other guy takes the sword from inside his mouth for joining the fight:

Other guy: Thanks, Raoul. I'll bring it back in a few minutes.

Raoul the sword swallower (with the sword still inside his mouth): Nah pahlum.

Ginasius
2020-06-23, 06:49 AM
I keep this post for a future index.

Fyraltari
2020-06-23, 06:51 AM
I've been thinking about opening this thread for a couple of years. It was going to be called "Help me. I can't understand Durkon's accent."

Would you kindly help a non-native English speaker with some peculiarities of the speech transcript in this comic?

First question. I've been reading Start of Darkness recently. In the page 91 there's a fight in a circus. There is an artist swalloging a sword and other guy takes the sword from inside his mouth for joining the fight:

Other guy: Thanks, Raoul. I'll bring it back in a few minutes.

Raoul the sword swallower (with the sword still inside his mouth): Nah pahlum.

‘No problem.’

The joke is the guy is holding is friend’s sword for a bit and decided to do so by swallowing it rather than any saner way.

Edit: you should probably post all of your questions at once, that would make things simpler.

littlebum2002
2020-06-23, 06:51 AM
No problem.

(That's the translation, not me saying it's no problem to help, even though that is true too)

EDIT: Ninja'd!

Also, if you need help reading Durkon's accent, the Transcription of the Stick translates him into plain english:

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?338747-The-Transcription-of-the-Stick

Ginasius
2020-06-23, 09:26 AM
‘No problem.’

Oh, thanks a lot! Never guessed, but it's the kind of things that once you know you find obvious! :smallbiggrin:

Edit: you should probably post all of your questions at once, that would make things simpler.

There are a lot and I dont remember all of them now. Long, long years of reading the strip and saying to myself "I should ask for help to understand this". :smallsmile:

Ginasius
2020-06-23, 09:40 AM
Also, if you need help reading Durkon's accent, the Transcription of the Stick translates him into plain english:

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?338747-The-Transcription-of-the-Stick

I was aware of that thread, but I never went further the first pages and I didn't know it had transformed in a transcription to plain text english.

Thanks a lot. That thread makes my thread unnecesary, except for comics off line like Start of Darkness.