PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Need some help with running ToA from the middle (level 6-chapter 3)

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-06-23, 07:50 AM
Hello guys :)

I am going to run for some friends Chapter 3: Dwellers of the Forbidden City from Tomb of Annihilation as the internet told me it is the right place to put level 6 characters.

We do it to play test a friend's monk subclass he homebrewed and for fun because we are missing one player for the regular game we should have tomorrow.

I am asking for advice about the equipment I should give them.
I assume that there is some nice loot in the adventure that they should have.

There will be 4 level6 monks in the party.

Should I give them some magic items? Gold?
What do you think?

For now I am planning of giving them the thing they could loot in the part we will not play. I am not sure it is the smart thing to do.

(This problem exist because it will be the first time I will run something I didn't write in 5e, I only did it ones before and that was in 3.5e).

I will be happy to get any advice you guys have for Tomb of Annihilation

OldTrees1
2020-06-23, 08:33 AM
By that point in the adventure the PCs have found almost no notable magic items. Basically you are just skipping the "Run away from deadly jungle" section of the adventure. But I have found more magic items is not always a bad thing. Probably a limit of 1 per PC at the start. The city has treasure to be found.

As for gold, giving them +500gp each seems more than enough. The jungle punishes heavy armor, excessive gear, and is a drain on resources but eventually they would find a way to get there. And there are some minor gold treasures on the way.

If you follow this advice the party will be one of the best equipped parties to enter this chapter. But that should be fine.

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-06-23, 11:03 AM
By that point in the adventure the PCs have found almost no notable magic items. Basically you are just skipping the "Run away from deadly jungle" section of the adventure. But I have found more magic items is not always a bad thing. Probably a limit of 1 per PC at the start. The city has treasure to be found.

As for gold, giving them +500gp each seems more than enough. The jungle punishes heavy armor, excessive gear, and is a drain on resources but eventually they would find a way to get there. And there are some minor gold treasures on the way.

If you follow this advice the party will be one of the best equipped parties to enter this chapter. But that should be fine.
Thanks for the advice :)