PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next [5e Race] Vril

Xuldarinar
2020-06-23, 02:11 PM
Vril
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/593288460195069953/719387417508839447/image0.jpg

Ability Score Increase. Your Constitution score increases by 2, and your Dexterity score increases by 1.

Age. Vril reach adulthood at age 8 and live up to 60 years.

Alignment. Vril are typically neutral evil, as they care only for their own needs. As with other goblinoids, few vril might tend toward good or neutrality, but only rarely.

Size. Vril are between 3 and 4 feet tall and weigh between 40 and 80 pounds. Your size is Small.

Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.

Darkvision. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.

Sunlight Sensitivity. While in sunlight, you have disadvantage on attack rolls, as well as on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight.

Drow Poison Vulnerability. You have disadvantage on saving throws against drow poison.

Shriek and Shift. You know the Thunderclap cantrip. When you reach 3rd level, you can cast the False Life spell once as a 2nd level spell with this trait, and you regain the ability to cast it this way when you finish a long rest. Constitution is your spellcasting ability for these spells

Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and Goblin.

Feats

Directed Shriek
Prerequisite: Vril

Increase your Constitution score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
When you roll thunder damage for a spell you cast, you can reroll any roll of 1 on the thunder damage dice, but you must use the new roll, even if it is another 1.
When you cast Thunderclap, you can choose for the source of the spell to be treated as any single space within 5 feet of you.

Improved Skinshift
You have honed your abilities to skinshift. You learn the Mage Armor spell and can cast it at will, without expending a spell slot. You also learn Barkskin, which you can cast once without expending a spell slot. If you cast Barkskin in this way you can only cast it on yourself. You regain the ability to cast the spell in this way when you finish a long rest. Constitution is your spellcasting ability for these spells.

Wings of the Bat
You sprout bat-like wings. With your wings, you have a flying speed of 20 feet if you aren’t wearing heavy armor and aren’t exceeding your carrying capacity.

I felt it was time Vril were brought from 3.5 into 5e.

JNAProductions
2020-06-23, 02:17 PM
Nothing really sticks out as inappropriate. Stat bumps are good for almost any character, but seems to me OP, in individuality or as a whole.

Xuldarinar
2020-06-23, 02:50 PM
Nothing really sticks out as inappropriate. Stat bumps are good for almost any character, but seems to me OP, in individuality or as a whole.

What would you suggest to tone them down?

I could give them weaknesses they had in 3.5 to balance things out.

Light Blindness and/or make them more susceptible to poisons. Say.. Disadvantage on Constitution saves vs poison?

JNAProductions
2020-06-23, 02:58 PM
What would you suggest to tone them down?

I could give them weaknesses they had in 3.5 to balance things out.

Light Blindness and/or make them more susceptible to poisons. Say.. Disadvantage on Constitution saves vs poison?

Ah. I mistyped-quite badly!

I meant to write "But nothing seems to me OP."

As-in, you did a fine job.

Xuldarinar
2020-06-23, 03:02 PM
Ah. I mistyped-quite badly!

I meant to write "But nothing seems to me OP."

As-in, you did a fine job.

Ah! Thank you then. Typos do make a world of difference here.

If anyone ever does want to add those elements in:

Toxin Vulnerability. You have disadvantage on saving throws against poison.

Sunlight Sensitivity. While in sunlight, the vril has disadvantage on attack rolls, as well as on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight.

But, given the balance is good here, there isn't much need to hit them with those.

Xuldarinar
2020-06-24, 12:43 AM
Update: I decided to go ahead and give them their weaknesses from 3.5. They, like kobolds, can only see out to 60 feet in darkness but also suffer from Sunlight Sensitivity. Additionally they are more vulnerable to a specific kind of poison. It isn't likely to come up, but if it does it is important to note.

I also added another feat, one to represent growth of their Skinshifting abilities. A feat loss to get AC 13 + Dex (they do best as barbarians anyways and in that case will generally have higher), but also the ability to for up to an hour 1/day be set to an AC of 16.

I would add further, but I don't want them to have too many feats and in terms of porting things over.. Dazed is no longer a condition and I'm reluctant to give them a feat that tacks on Deafened on to Thunderclap (representative of their shrieking.) If people want it, or even suggest something, I may change my mind though.

JNAProductions
2020-06-24, 09:26 AM
They now feel underpowered.

Sunlight Sensitivity hurts, and you didn't really give them anything to compensate for it.

Xuldarinar
2020-06-24, 09:40 AM
They now feel underpowered.

Sunlight Sensitivity hurts, and you didn't really give them anything to compensate for it.

Thats fair. What could we give them to balance them out? Something thematic for these bat-like goblins.

Edit: Ideas

Give them proficiency in perception.
Give them Advantage on checks that defend on hearing.
Alter their Spells (like specify they can use ones given by merit of their race even if under the effects of Rage, or related effects, or just add an additional spell)