PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Most Fun Down-Time Binds: Minions you want for Chilling out Max

Jowgen
2020-06-23, 02:37 PM
I have noticed that a good chunk of my recent optimisation endevours all happened to revolve around or prominently feature the Binding of assorted creatures, and so I thought it would be fun to make a little list of the best and/or most fun creatures you can may wish to Bind, not for the purpose of laying waste to the realms of men (or the prevention thereoff), but to serve in the background.

Downtime Binds.

Please contribute your thoughts and I shall update the OP at semi-regular intervals.

CreatureDealSource

Chokesnake
A 6 HD Demon symbiont that has an SU Poison that bypasses immunites. Best creature to harvest poisons from, aside from it's big brother the Molydeus Demon, who'm you'll likely never bind. Great as an undead to switch the DC to Cha.
Dungeon 148

Midgard Dwarf
An 8 HD Native Outsider that not only comes with 3 racial crafting feats, but a racial ex ability that lets it meet ANY crafting prerequesites with those 3 feats. Great as an Awakaned Skeleton, esp. if you can select its Awakening feats for more crafting utility.
Frostburn

Sylph
An 3-9 HD air subytpe outsider that casts as a sorcer of its HD +4. Great it you need a sorcerer on hand for something, e.g. Spellthief spellslot fuelling. Good argument to be made that they are legal for the Spirit Binding line as well.
MM2

Magmin
An 2 HDelemental type creature (but not true elemental) that can melt metal. Also good argument to be made that they have an (exo)skeletal system, which would let them serve as rather efficient Skeleton minion mooks.
Monster Manual

Sybriex
A 14 HD Obyrinth Demon that's happy to give out Fiendish Grafts for free.
FC1

Zygothia
A specific Quasit 3 Wizard 3 that'll track down and add any spell to your spellbook for you at a steady going rate.
Dragon 357 p. 70

Nifft
2020-06-23, 03:51 PM
Hmm, downtime binding...

Succubus / Incubus seems like a classic, for certain definitions of chilling (e.g.: "Come over to my place, we can death ward and chill").

Planetar has fewer than 16 HD and casts as a level 17 Cleric, which might be nice for item creation collaboration.

Cerdeval horns have unlimited cure disease; binding one with lesser planar binding or three with planar binding could make short work of a plague.

Ravid can animate rather large objects. Very useful if you want to redecorate, especially if you have a couch or lounger which is sturdy enough to support a dragon.

Djinn can create food and wine, which makes them an excellent alternative to ordering delivery.

Jowgen
2020-06-24, 11:48 AM
Hmm, downtime binding...

Succubus / Incubus seems like a classic, for certain definitions of chilling (e.g.: "Come over to my place, we can death ward and chill").

Planetar has fewer than 16 HD and casts as a level 17 Cleric, which might be nice for item creation collaboration.

Cerdeval horns have unlimited cure disease; binding one with lesser planar binding or three with planar binding could make short work of a plague.

Ravid can animate rather large objects. Very useful if you want to redecorate, especially if you have a couch or lounger which is sturdy enough to support a dragon.

Djinn can create food and wine, which makes them an excellent alternative to ordering delivery.

Why content yourself with a Succubus? The 14 HD Lilitu are much more fun, auto-succeed on ANY UMD check, can grant you a 24 hour +2 profane buff to Cha, AND cast as 9th level clerics, of charisma, of which they have the highest of any base demon. So many fun applications.

Though yes, I suppose the Planatar makes the better Cleric casting provider.

Cervidal seems quite neat indeed, it's Horn powers can do a lot of stuff and they're a mere 4 HD. Now, how to make it into a mindlessly obedient minion that retains that Su ability... either case, it shall be added to the list.

Ravids seem tricky to implemenent, as the animate objects is random and non-permanent, but there might be potential there...

Djinn as a take out service seems like overkill, but I suppose if you really wanted to flex on your guests that would certainly do the trick.

DrMartin
2020-06-24, 11:58 AM
Elemental weirds have so many high level divinations available at will they would put modern-day search engines to shame

Nifft
2020-06-24, 12:16 PM
Why content yourself with a Succubus? The 14 HD Lilitu That's why. Succubus has 6 HD, which makes her the bicycle with training wheels. Succubus / Incubus is babby wizard's first time.

Also, I have nothing against Lilitu's tentacles, but not everyone is a wizard of culture like yourself.

Djinn as a take out service seems like overkill, but I suppose if you really wanted to flex on your guests that would certainly do the trick. Their wine creation power seems unique, though I'd be delighted to learn of other party-related magic.