PDA

View Full Version : I rolled 4 16s. Somehow all decisions have become harder.

Seekergeek
2020-06-23, 02:56 PM
So, as the title suggests, I rolled pretty darn well at the table. 4 16s, a 12 and an 8. As a guy who tends to roll quite badly, I feel like the world is my oyster. I've always wanted to play a paladin/wizard multiclass with abjuration, and now seems like the time but what else could shine given these rolls and an absolute carte blanche for published and UA material? The character being replaced was a hexblade in a party consisting of a rogue, a poorly perfoming conquest paladin who I don't think has every actually utilized a class feature in ten sessions, a knowledge cleric, a ranger, and a divination wizard. Party is level 6 but I'm told to roll up a 7th level replacement as a level is just around the corner. This is princes of the apocalypse, if that matters.

My current idea is paladin 2/wizard 5, continuing with wizard the rest of the way. Statting 16's in STR, CON, INT aaaand...WIS? 8 in CHA and 12 in STR. ASI at 4th level wizard would go to INT which would give me 18 str, 18 con, and 18 int. Defensive fighting style to shore up my AC even more than heavy armour would do on its own. Take the blade cantrips and pump up melee damage with the odd smite and have the rest of my spells open for utility and the odd AOE? Seems like it would be fun and versatile.

My DM has also suggested the wildfire druid paired with a rogue could be fun - I'm not overly familiar with it.

Anywho, with such an unhealthy spread of good stuff to play with, what would you do?

nickl_2000
2020-06-23, 03:04 PM
What about Paladin 2/Moon Druid 4? You can be a smite bear with your Druid wildshapes.

JNAProductions
2020-06-23, 03:04 PM
Paladin 2 is good for melee builds due to Smite, obviously. But unless you go Bladesinger, you won't get a ton of use out of Smite.

If you do want a Paladin/Wizard, might I suggest Paladin 6/Wizard +X? That gets you Extra Attack and Aura of Protection (everyone loves bonuses to saves!) so you can mix it up in melee.

Also, you literally CANNOT put that 8 in Charisma and multiclass into or out of Paladin, unless your DM waives that requirement.

I'd recommend the 8 to go in Dex-Heavy Armor makes Dexterity much less relevant.

Lavaeolus
2020-06-23, 03:06 PM
RAW, you need 13 STR and 13 CHA to multiclass in or out of Paladin. You rolled pretty well, so factor in racials and that's not too hard: either put the spare 16 in CHA, or put the 12 in it and pick a race with a CHA / your-choice boost. Of the core races, Humans, Half-Elves and Tieflings all work for the latter route.

I've always sort of wanted to try a Paladin / Wizard, just for flavour, although it's usually a bit MAD to be worth attempting. I've never properly given it a go for that reason, but with stats like those, if you feel like it, hey! Essentially you're a Wizard with heavy armor and Smite, which for a Wizard who wants to get up into melee, that's not a bad offering.

Other MAD stuff I've always sort of wanted to try is a Swashbuckler / Tempest Cleric, for a sort of religious-sailor vibe, but I don't think there are too many synergies there even ignoring attributes. I just think it'd be fun conceptually. Swashbuckler / Storm Sorcerer is obviously the smarter call there, of course.

MaxWilson
2020-06-23, 03:16 PM
Maybe a Warbarian: Barbarian 1/Fiend Bladelock 6. Needs Str, Dex, Con, Cha, which happens to match nicely with your four 16s. Between Rage/Blade Ward, Armor of Agathys III, and Fiendlock temp HP, you'll have HP for days.

Take GWM and PAM plus Thirsting Blade and Improved Pact Weapon invocations (plus Agonizing Blast for ranged combat) and now you're basically a better Barbarian, albeit with only two Rages per day instead of four, but with full spellcasting for the encounters where you're not raging.

Since Rage is only actually good against big solo creatures anyway, what this means is that against big mobs you warlock (e.g. pre-cast Armor of Agathys III, then in combat run up and cast Fear on the biggest mob of bad guys, then start bashing away at anyone who saved with your halberd and laughing at anyone who tries to hit you back and gets frozen by Armor of Agathys) and against big solos you act like a Barbarian (e.g. pre-cast Armor of Agathys III, then Rage and attack them with your halberd and laugh when they hit you back and get frozen by Armor of Agathys).

Shadow Monk 6/Hexblade 2 is also super-fun MAD combination that fits those stats. Shield to increase survivability, Hex and Hexblade's Curse to increase damage, Devil's Sight + one other invocation (Agonizing Blast is fine, or you could pick the one that lets you see through walls to enhance your teleporting), plus more ranged firepower than most monks have.

Nifft
2020-06-23, 03:17 PM
I've always wanted to play a paladin/wizard multiclass with abjuration, and now seems like the time

There's no reason to avoid playing the thing you want to play.

It's an interesting combo idea and your rolls make it possible.

That said, what would ~I~ do with those rolls?

2H polearm melee Arcane spellcaster, probably. The 16 Str / 16 Dex / 16 Con enable 2H melee, unarmored AC, and concentration checks, and then another 16 in a primary casting stat. This would be fun as a Bard, Wizard, Sorcerer, or Warlock.

Arcane Trickster with social expertise could make good use of 4 great rolls: high Dex + Con + Int + Cha, then low Str and Wis. I'd play this like a 3.5e Beguiler, within the limits of spells known.

Any non-Moon Druid could make good use of those stats, too.

Seekergeek
2020-06-23, 03:22 PM
Also, you literally CANNOT put that 8 in Charisma and multiclass into or out of Paladin, unless your DM waives that requirement

Yep. Fak. Brainfart when writing up the post. That 8 would, indeed, end up in dex.

heavyfuel
2020-06-23, 03:39 PM
I'd go straight Bladesinger

16 Con Dex Int. 8 Str. 16/12 Wis/Cha, depending on your preference.

Bladesingers are too MAD before level 14, so this is the perfect opportunity.

At lv 2 you'll have 10+2+4+3 = 19 AC, which will eventually become 22, even without magic armours. And 16 Con means you'll have as much HP as a Fighter with 12 Con (aka, archers).

Either Warcaster or Int at lv 4. A half feat that increases Int is also good. Elven Accuracy maybe?

Man_Over_Game
2020-06-23, 03:49 PM
TBH, not sure what going Wizard gets you that Sorcerer wouldn't, other than worse stats.

Even Storm Sorcerer does better as a melee character with the whole "flying without OA's on spellcast" thing. Run in, Twin Booming Blade on two targets, Quicken Earth Tremor, fly out, and leave them stuck there for 2 rounds.

Or, heck, go Thunder Cleric and Storm Sorcerer. Just not sure what Paladin/Wizard gets you besides some really awkward AC bonuses.

Sudsboy
2020-06-23, 04:02 PM
How about a multiclass Kensei monk/Bladesinger? I read somewhere the other day that both AC boosts work together, and you've got the stats to pull it off. 8STR, 16WIS/CON/DEX/INT, 12CHA

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-06-23, 04:13 PM
I'll agree with Paladin/Sorcerer, put 16's in Str, Dex, Con, Cha, 8 Int, 12 Wis. Make it a Half-Elf and bump Str and Con to 18 at 4th.

CTurbo
2020-06-23, 05:23 PM
Hill Dwarf Tempest Cleric 2/Storm Sorcerer 18.
12 Str, 16 Dex, 18 Con, 8 Int, 17 Wis, 16 Cha
Start Sorc 1 for Con saves. Wear Plate + shield.

Mountain Dwarf Zealot Barb/Vengeance Paladin combo
18 Str, 16 Dex, 18 Con, 8 Int, 12 Wis, 16 Cha
Play as an unarmored raging smiting holy warrior.

High or Wood Elf Monk(any)/Bladesinger combo
8 Str, 18 Dex, 16 Con, 16 or 17 Int, 16 or 17 Wis, 12 Cha.
Unarmored and really fast. Have a really high AC when bladesinging.

Deep Gnome Warlock 2/Abjurer Wizard 18 with the Snirfneblin feat
8 Str, 16 Dex, 17 Con, 18 Int, 12 Wis, 16 Cha
Multiple ways to keep your Arcane Ward up and running strong.

Druid with a +2 Dex race
8 Str, 14 Dex, 16 Con, 16 Int, 16 Wis, 16 Cha
You could dip Bard, Warlock, Sorcerer, or Wizard.
You could enter Bladesong while wildshaped lol
Subtle spell while wildshaped?
Jack of All Trades and Inspiration dice on a Druid?

ThatoneGuy84
2020-06-23, 05:24 PM
Wizard / Pally could be fun (I'd pair it with bladesinger if I was going to focus on melee)
But the only reason to to this over sorc is for insane AC comboing.

I have always wanted to try a Monk/Caster that many 16s makes it more viable for sure.

Lavaeolus
2020-06-23, 05:32 PM
Wizard / Pally could be fun (I'd pair it with bladesinger if I was going to focus on melee)

Note that the Bladesinger can't use Bladesong if they're wearing medium/heavy armor or shields, which undermines some of the benefits of the Pally dip. (The Extra Attack can also be redundant, but obviously only if you take 5+ levels in Paladin.)

There's the (half-)elf restriction too, albeit that's something that's explicitly written to be liftable to fit the DM's campaign world. I don't know if OP has any feelings on what race they want to be.

Alucard89
2020-06-23, 05:34 PM
I would go with Paladin/Wizard or maybe with 1 Artificer (Ferie Fire, Cure Wounds, CON saves)/19 Bladesinger.

The other nice combo would be 1 Artificer/17 Bladesinger/2 Paladin. Advantage, Smites, extra attack, high AC, Wish, Tenser etc. Great combo.

Wizard_Lizard
2020-06-23, 05:35 PM
I mean you could go straight human fighter and get ALL THE STATS

diplomancer
2020-06-23, 05:56 PM
Monk and Barbarian are the classes that spring to my mind with great rolls. Mountain dwarf Barbarian with 18 Str/Con, 16 dex is so tasty. Put the 16 in wis and you have some nice Ranger Multiclass available if you want

ezekielraiden
2020-06-23, 05:57 PM
How about a multiclass Kensei monk/Bladesinger? I read somewhere the other day that both AC boosts work together, and you've got the stats to pull it off. 8STR, 16WIS/CON/DEX/INT, 12CHA

They would stack, because they aren't "both AC boosts." Unarmored Defense is an alternate AC calculation, like Mage Armor or the Draconic Resilience armor benefit--you can only benefit from one of these at a time, but you can choose which one. (Hence, if someone were an MC Monk/Barbarian, they could either get +Dex and +Wis and not use shields, or +Dex and +Con and use shields, but they could not get +Dex and +Wis while using a shield.) The Bladesinger, on the other hand, is just a flat +N to AC, and thus stacks with all sources of AC bonus. As long as a Monk/Bladesinger is using Bladesong, their AC does in effect calculate as +Dex, +Wis, *and* +Int, but the +Int would go away as soon as Bladesong ends.

As others have mentioned though, I recommend either Paladin/Sorcerer, Paladin/Hexblade, or Hexblade/Sorcerer if this is what you really want to go for. Your very high stats will let you be diverse, potentially picking up a feat you fancy instead of pumping your stats up. And since you can't dump Cha in the first place if you're going Paladin, you may as well make use of that Cha stat. Plus, this lets you define the kind of character you play as. Are you a golden boy(/girl) who doesn't realize (dumped Int) that your new power source isn't the same as the deity you swore an oath to? Are you a weedy (dumped Str) nerd who can go all "By the power of Greyskull!" because some powerful being adopted you? Are you a foolish academic (dump Wis) who sacrificed everything in pursuit of power, and now that you got it, you're not sure if it was worthwhile? Etc.

Lavaeolus
2020-06-23, 06:03 PM
They would stack, because they aren't "both AC boosts." Unarmored Defense is an alternate AC calculation, like Mage Armor or the Draconic Resilience armor benefit--you can only benefit from one of these at a time, but you can choose which one. (Hence, if someone were an MC Monk/Barbarian, they could either get +Dex and +Wis and not use shields, or +Dex and +Con and use shields, but they could not get +Dex and +Wis while using a shield.) The Bladesinger, on the other hand, is just a flat +N to AC, and thus stacks with all sources of AC bonus.

Should be possible to use the Monk's Unarmored Defense and apply both the Bladesong's AC boost and the Kensei's Agile Parry, right? I think that's what they were referring to.

I mean you could go straight human fighter and get ALL THE STATS

Unfortunately, this AWFUL ARRAY means the Fighter can only max FOUR of their stats by Fighter 20. I know; I'm as horrified as you are. Better reroll.

ezekielraiden
2020-06-23, 06:17 PM
Should be possible to use the Monk's Unarmored Defense and apply both the Bladesong's AC boost and the Kensei's Agile Parry, right? I think that's what they were referring to.
Ah, then yes. The parry is also a boost as opposed to an alternate calculation, and (AFAIK) all boosts stack in 5e unless the rules-item in question specifies otherwise.

ThatoneGuy84
2020-06-23, 06:26 PM
I mean u could easily
Str 12
Dex 8
Con 16
Int 16
Wis 16
Char 16

Half elf - 2 cha, 1 Str, 1 con (to multi out pally)
Or Vhuman - 1 str, 1 cha
Pally 6
Hex 1 (or 2 pick your poison here) For Cha attack
Sorc 13-14

ASI 1 - 20 cha
Asi 2 - warcaster
Asi 3 - shieldmaster

Sword an board
Smite / booming blade with quicken
Attack with smites

Wizard_Lizard
2020-06-23, 06:34 PM

Unfortunately, this AWFUL ARRAY means the Fighter can only max FOUR of their stats by Fighter 20. I know; I'm as horrified as you are. Better reroll.

I know it's such a shame. Rerolling is clearly the only option.

MrStabby
2020-06-23, 06:48 PM
Depending on the levels you expect to play at Oathbreaker Paladin/Necromancer wizard is fun. Sure you need level 6 in Wizard, Level 7 in Paladin to make the animated dead super scary... but it isn't like you don't get stuff n the way.

One of the things to ask about is what counts as a spell killing someone for your harvest ability to recover hit points - with smite spells and shadow blade you should be able to keep your HP topped up if the DM backs it.

Even a level of wizard is good on so many characters - the main downside being the need for Int, with these stats not a worry. I would go for it - the out of combat utility you would get is huge. Just think what kind of creapy-ass familliar this kind of character would have.

J-H
2020-06-23, 08:23 PM
I would go Psi Knight, with the Int-based feats to give you the telekinetic shove(knock prone) as a bonus action, and telepathy. You can afford to have good STR, CON, INT, and one more... pick your 4th based on whether you want to be a high-init Dexer, a wise Jedi, or a telepathic party face.

Kemev
2020-06-23, 09:09 PM
I finally registered for an account just to reply to this (been reading oots for 10 years, probably due...) because I had the same problem with my new character. Had insane rolls, and felt super overwhelmed trying to pick what to play.

So you've always wanted to try paladin/wizard? Great! DO IT! If you have a chance to do something you've always wanted to try, there's no time like the present (and you never know when you might get another crack at it).

And I think your first instincts (pal 2/wizard 5) are on the right track.

The spread for this is Str 16, Dex 8, Con 16, Int 16, Wis 12, Cha 16. (Note that you're basically locked into Str, Int, and Cha, and you really want that Con. You could swap Dex and Wis, but failing Wis saves is pretty terrible, and the bonus to Perception is always handy).

Mountain Dwarf is a solid (heh) pick. I suppose you could also make a case for v. human (more on that in a sec), or githyanki if your DM is ok with something unusual.

I see a few replies to the effect of, "why not sorcerer?" It's true metamagic can add a lot of damage... but that's doesn't necessarily seem like what you're going for... it seems like you want a full-service, jack-of-all-trades. Picking up wizard rituals opens up a familiar to play with and a lot of options outside of combat, which is something sorcerer has trouble competing with. It's not really quantifiable though, so a lot of character optimizers overlook rituals. Same principle with pally vs. another combat class. Grabbing an extra face skill and some light healing will never swing a combat... but they're low-key useful abilities that you'll use every session.

I would pick War Magic from Xanathar's Guide for your wizard school... the defensive options are pretty great. I don't think it makes sense to keep advancing pally past 3. The oath features are solid (the standard oath of devotion is clutch if you're only making 1 big attack per round), and an extra spell slot is fine. Past that, the extra attack doesn't do anything for you if you plan on casting Green Flame Blade every turn, and getting Durable Magic compensates for missing out on your paladin aura.

Since you already have godlike abilities, instead of focusing on ASIs, you could start picking up feats instead. War Caster + Polearm Master + Booming Blade cantrip are well-documented for being objectively AWESOME. This is where human comes in... you could have these things online already at level 7! You could do this with mountain dwarf too... you just gotta wait 'til level 10 to pick up the second feat.

I'd probably take dwarf and wait, but it depends on how fast your DM lets you level up.

Mountain Dwarf paladin 2 / wizard (war mage) 5, far traveler background
skills: insight, persuasion, perception (+1 of your choice)

In combat, start by casting a buff spell or Flaming Sphere, then whack someone with a SCAG cantrip of your choice in subsequent rounds (with Arcane Deflection on your reaction), dropping a big 3rd level spell if your team's falling behind.

Outside of combat, well, you can pretty much do whatever you want.

SLOTHRPG95
2020-06-23, 09:09 PM
Oath of Redemption Paladin 6/Abjurer 14, the ultimate conflict resolution build! Put the 16s in Str, Con, Int, and Cha, with the 8 in Dex and the 12 in Wis. VHuman or half-elf to taste, picking up Prodigy (Persuasion) as soon as possible.

Arkhios
2020-06-23, 11:32 PM
Str 16, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 8, Wis 16, Cha 16 (plus racials)

Aim for Paladin 6/Monk 14, and become the brightest star of saving throws always everywhere.

As a fun twist, you could even play a Hill Dwarf for a +2 Constitution and extra hit points on top of that. A +1 Wisdom wouldn't hurt either as a monk.

Ogre Mage
2020-06-24, 02:24 AM
I'll agree with Paladin/Sorcerer, put 16's in Str, Dex, Con, Cha, 8 Int, 12 Wis. Make it a Half-Elf and bump Str and Con to 18 at 4th.

That would be my choice also.

bid
2020-06-24, 02:36 AM
Hence, if someone were an MC Monk/Barbarian, they could either get +Dex and +Wis and not use shields, or +Dex and +Con and use shields, but they could not get +Dex and +Wis while using a shield.
Generally right. A draconic sorcerer / monk could use either 13+Dex AC or 10+Dex+Wis AC.

But MC rule explicitely disallows having both unarmored defenses. You cannot get the barbarian one once you have the monk's, and you cannot get the monk's once you have the barbarian's.

Seekergeek
2020-06-24, 01:46 PM
I finally registered for an account just to reply to this (been reading oots for 10 years, probably due...) because I had the same problem with my new character. Had insane rolls, and felt super overwhelmed trying to pick what to play.

So you've always wanted to try paladin/wizard? Great! DO IT! If you have a chance to do something you've always wanted to try, there's no time like the present (and you never know when you might get another crack at it).

And I think your first instincts (pal 2/wizard 5) are on the right track.

The spread for this is Str 16, Dex 8, Con 16, Int 16, Wis 12, Cha 16. (Note that you're basically locked into Str, Int, and Cha, and you really want that Con. You could swap Dex and Wis, but failing Wis saves is pretty terrible, and the bonus to Perception is always handy).

Mountain Dwarf is a solid (heh) pick. I suppose you could also make a case for v. human (more on that in a sec), or githyanki if your DM is ok with something unusual.

I see a few replies to the effect of, "why not sorcerer?" It's true metamagic can add a lot of damage... but that's doesn't necessarily seem like what you're going for... it seems like you want a full-service, jack-of-all-trades. Picking up wizard rituals opens up a familiar to play with and a lot of options outside of combat, which is something sorcerer has trouble competing with. It's not really quantifiable though, so a lot of character optimizers overlook rituals. Same principle with pally vs. another combat class. Grabbing an extra face skill and some light healing will never swing a combat... but they're low-key useful abilities that you'll use every session.

I would pick War Magic from Xanathar's Guide for your wizard school... the defensive options are pretty great. I don't think it makes sense to keep advancing pally past 3. The oath features are solid (the standard oath of devotion is clutch if you're only making 1 big attack per round), and an extra spell slot is fine. Past that, the extra attack doesn't do anything for you if you plan on casting Green Flame Blade every turn, and getting Durable Magic compensates for missing out on your paladin aura.

Since you already have godlike abilities, instead of focusing on ASIs, you could start picking up feats instead. War Caster + Polearm Master + Booming Blade cantrip are well-documented for being objectively AWESOME. This is where human comes in... you could have these things online already at level 7! You could do this with mountain dwarf too... you just gotta wait 'til level 10 to pick up the second feat.

I'd probably take dwarf and wait, but it depends on how fast your DM lets you level up.

Mountain Dwarf paladin 2 / wizard (war mage) 5, far traveler background
skills: insight, persuasion, perception (+1 of your choice)

In combat, start by casting a buff spell or Flaming Sphere, then whack someone with a SCAG cantrip of your choice in subsequent rounds (with Arcane Deflection on your reaction), dropping a big 3rd level spell if your team's falling behind.

Outside of combat, well, you can pretty much do whatever you want.

This guy gets it. Haha. Here's to waiting until my echo chamber was sounded! ...his response is legit my favourite though, largely because it's the same position as mine.

In all seriousness though, thank you very much for all the great feedback and for making my decision that much harder! I really have no idea what level to expect to hit, I don't want to spoil the module for myself but it's Princes of the Apocalypse. Not sure if I mentioned that in the original post. I want to stay away from sorcerer or warlock - mostly because I'm replacing my warlock and because as Kemev astutely gathered, I'm wanting to be more of a general help to a party that steers away from combat wherever possible. There's currently a LOT of competition for the party face roll, and I don't want to step on the rogue or the paladin or the cleric's toes (or eat up any more table time than they already do squabbling over who gets to say which vaugly witty thing and when - I kid, it's a fun table but we don't need another loudmouth or negotiator in the group). I love the utility a ritual caster will bring and the divination wizard has taken all control and illusion spells so AOE damage and some front-line support seem to be the ticket in combat. This mountain dwarf wizard option would have an AC hovering around 19 big ol HP boosted with the arcane ward and respectable damage with the blade cantrips and smite options available, not to mention access to the other tasty wizardly goods. Is it optimized compared to a hexadin or a sorcadin or a druadin? Naw, probably not, but really this table optimizes about as well as my two year old uses the potty - she understands she should, and gets there about 30% of the time right now.

bid
2020-06-24, 02:02 PM
War Caster + Polearm Master + Booming Blade cantrip are well-documented for being objectively AWESOME.
You forgot to add spell sniper, or you can't use BB when they "enter your reach" of 10'.

ThatoneGuy84
2020-06-24, 03:01 PM
Pal/sword Bard is super fun, feels nicer then wizard to me, and nets you second attack from either class depending how high you want to go with them.
I feel wizard, you will likely fall into standard wizardish roll, but maybe not.

You can pickup two weapon fighting style and rock bonos action attack also (netting you 3 attacks and as such 3 smites). Can stack your blade flourishes onto smites and crits.

Gives you medium armor proficiency, as such I'm going to build based on DEX assuming halfplate eventually.

12 str
16 dex
16 con
8 int
16 wis
16 char

Half elf
1 dex
1str (mc out of pally)
2 char

Feat #1 Elven accuracy + 1 dex (level 4)

Nets you 13str, 18dex, 16con, 16 wis, 8 int, 18 cha starting out. I'd pick up warcaster sooner rather then later for OA casting.
This way you dont have to start Pally if you dont want to, and gain the benifits of starting Bard
(3 skill choice, ect. You also gain Expertise, Jack of all trades and all the fun that comes with bard) And still get your magical secrets later to pickup cool spells you might want from that.

AttilatheYeon
2020-06-24, 03:46 PM
If you think you can get to level 20, pally 6/monk14 is quite powerful. Smiting kicks are fun. And prof + cha to all saves is quite nice.

Kemev
2020-06-24, 07:51 PM
Yeah, you do you bruh.

If you already have people talking at the table, you can always put your social skills to work as a supporting cast member. For example, rolling insight to see if an NPC believes someone's deception, or to discern why they're not persuaded. Depending on your table, you can also double up deception/persuasion ("Oh yeah, my friend who's currently deceiving you? Let me persuade you how great a guy she is...")

Also rituals are a handy way to avoid stupid conversations ("Sorry, I can't participate in this argument, because my character's identifying all our loot... also I'm stepping away from the table to get a snack")

You forgot to add spell sniper, or you can't use BB when they "enter your reach" of 10'.

You are technically correct -- which is the best kind of correct. (I forgot that the spell specifies 5 ft range.)

sambojin
2020-06-24, 08:11 PM
Echo Knight Fighter 3/ Moon Druid 4.

Teleporting spiders and snakes and giant squid, ahoy! Then another two levels of Moon, and maybe two of Echo for extra attack. Whatever order, first fighter gets you an ASI, first druid gets you lvl3 spells and summons. It's sort of asking for Sentinel somewhere in there as well.

Can't move towards them, can't move away from them, and AoO with restrain riders are great. Or just having two attacks with riders, three times per day with unleash incarnation, or action surgeyness. Your echo can easily be large sized, or huge after two more druid levels.

Race? Ummm... I don't know, so I'm just going to say "be a Firbolg", because that's my standard advice for any druid, and even lots of fighters. More short rest abilities than you'll ever remember to use....
So 9St/ 16Dex/ 16Con/ 12Int/ 18Wis/ 16Cha. Dex-based due to no-metal druid thing. Has a 270lb carry, so you're still fighter strong, just not Str-stat strong.
Doesn't need Res(Con) because you started with fighter, so Sentinel at druid 4, or +2Dex for more init+fightyness. It's actually an unwise move to knock you out of your wildshape. Because then all the magic and armoured stabby occurs.

(in deinonychus form, you could conceivably get 3 multiattacks, +1 unleash, +3 action surge multiattacks, +1 unleash, +1 maybe bonus pounce attack (or firbolg-invis), +maybe an AoO. So 8-10x +4 d8+2 damage attacks at lvl7 for horde clearing, if you want to silly-nova your resources into one turn. Or 4x +5 2d6+3 restrain-on-hit 15' reach squid attacks with the same effort, and still have your bonus action available to firbolg-invis after you've done it for 2x lockdown plus avoidance. Your echo is pretty quick for a giant squid.
Thoughts vary on whether multiattack is actually an attack action, but squid-hentai'ing should work fine RAW, and works with extra attack as well).

Desteplo
2020-06-25, 11:02 AM
Kensei monk with bladesinger sounds cool.
-you can go in with a battle axe and have bonus action attacks with major utility