PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Help Finding A Weapon

Thurbane
2020-06-23, 05:32 PM
OK, so this has been a longstanding question (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?145885-3-5-Bludgeoning-slashing-weapon) for me (didn't want to necro that thread).

I'm looking for a martial or simple melee weapon, which is capable of dealing bludgeoning and slashing damage, or even bludgeoning or slashing damage.

I don't want it to be a natural weapon (such as a bite, or unarmed attack). I also need it to be from a source recognised at my table: no Pathfinder, Dragon Mag (except the Compendium), Dungeon Mag, 3rd party or homebrew.

If no such thing exists, I'll settle for an exotic weapon, so longs as it is not a double weapon, and not a light weapon (something I can Power Attack with).

I also need it to be a singular manufactured weapon, so adding the Morphing quality or similar won't work for my purposes.

Here's what previous searches have turned up:

Bite: not a manufactured weapon.
Executioner's Mace (Dungeon Magazine): not from an allowed source.
Gyrspike (AE&G): exotic, and also a double weapon.
Haft Strike feat* (Dragon Compendium): not ideal, since it's essentially using it as a double weapon.
Monk Spade (SoS): exotic, and also a double weapon.
Kaua’koi (Dragon 352): exotic, a double weapon, and also not from an allowed source.
Kawanaga (OA): exotic, and also a double weapon.
Kusari-gama (DMG): exotic, light, and only slashing as far as I can tell?
Notbora (SS): exotic, and also a double weapon.
Razored Shield [heavy] (Und): only does slashing damage as far as I can tell?
Ribbonweave (RoE): exotic. Can be used to Power Attack, but specifically can't be used two-handed.
Spinning Halberd feat* (CW): not ideal, since it's essentially using it as a double weapon.
Versatile Unarmed Strike feat (PHB II): not a manufactured weapon for my purposes.

[I]Question: the Haft Strike feat specifically says that the strike with the haft does not benefit from any magic weapon bonuses, the Spinning Halberd feat has no such language. Would you benefit from the qualities of a magical halberd?

Is there any feats or qualities that allow a weapon to do multiple types of damage, without fundamentally changing its form like Morphing? Shadow Striking is good for DR, but not what I'm really looking for.

Cheers - T

The Viscount
2020-06-23, 05:52 PM
I assume you're looking for a melee weapon, so that an elvencraft bow firing serpentstongue arrows or serpentstongue and blunt arrows doesn't meet the criteria?

This would be getting a little weird, and still exotic, but since elvencraft is a property I think you could add it to the Yuan-ti Serpent Bow from Secrets of Xendrik. It can already be used as a melee weapon to deal slashing damage, and this would add on bludgeoning, so would turn it into an "or" weapon.

Applying elvencraft to the specific magic weapon Swordbow might also do it, though not sure if that counts as stuff that changes the weapon. It would still be an "or" weapon.

Thurbane
2020-06-23, 06:19 PM
I assume you're looking for a melee weapon, so that an elvencraft bow firing serpentstongue arrows or serpentstongue and blunt arrows doesn't meet the criteria?

This would be getting a little weird, and still exotic, but since elvencraft is a property I think you could add it to the Yuan-ti Serpent Bow from Secrets of Xendrik. It can already be used as a melee weapon to deal slashing damage, and this would add on bludgeoning, so would turn it into an "or" weapon.

Applying elvencraft to the specific magic weapon Swordbow might also do it, though not sure if that counts as stuff that changes the weapon. It would still be an "or" weapon.

Great ideas, but yes, I should have said - looking for a melee weapon.

Morof Stonehands
2020-06-23, 06:38 PM
The only thing I see in my list of weapons that you haven’t already ruled out is the Ribbonweave from Races of Eberron, pg. 172

One-handed exotic, functions as a club, but as a free action can extend a slashing blade. Can’t two hand it, but can use Weapon Finesse, although it specifically isn’t a light weapon.

So it sort of meets your requirements but not really.

tyckspoon
2020-06-23, 06:41 PM
..huh. So in the great world of D&D, with its heritage of Gary 'I really like polearms' Gygax, there has not been a printed weapon with the hammer + cutting blade combo? :smallconfused: Weiiird.

Thurbane
2020-06-23, 07:15 PM
The only thing I see in my list of weapons that you haven’t already ruled out is the Ribbonweave from Races of Eberron, pg. 172

One-handed exotic, functions as a club, but as a free action can extend a slashing blade. Can’t two hand it, but can use Weapon Finesse, although it specifically isn’t a light weapon.

So it sort of meets your requirements but not really.

That's...an odd one. Interesting.

..huh. So in the great world of D&D, with its heritage of Gary 'I really like polearms' Gygax, there has not been a printed weapon with the hammer + cutting blade combo? :smallconfused: Weiiird.

I know, right?

Even something like "Stormbreaker" would fit the bill, and not be as "silly" as an executioner's mace.

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1Hz6jek5E3KVjSZFCq6zuzXXac.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/G4JKeBo.png

Saintheart
2020-06-24, 02:02 AM
Spell-based solution: make a longsword out of duskwood. Cast Brambles on it. Now your weapon does slashing, bludgeoning, and piercing damage. And then paint some Unguent of Timelessness on it, so the spell lasts for hours rather than minutes.

Maat Mons
2020-06-24, 02:38 AM
Well, here are some more things that won't work for you:

An issue of Dragon magazine had reinforced weapon sheathes. You hit people with the weapon sheathed in it for bludgeoning damage.
Blackstone Hammer, of something along those lines, is a psionic power that changes a weapon's damage type to bludgeoning.
Dragonshard Pommel Stones let you buy weapon abilities once (for +25% cost) and share them between multiple weapons.
There exist a few options for taking a weapon and adding another, smaller weapon onto it.

Thurbane
2020-06-24, 03:24 AM
Spell-based solution: make a longsword out of duskwood. Cast Brambles on it. Now your weapon does slashing, bludgeoning, and piercing damage. And then paint some Unguent of Timelessness on it, so the spell lasts for hours rather than minutes.

That is an interesting take. I'm not sure the Unguent shenanigans would fly at my table, but still - very innovative!

Well, here are some more things that won't work for you:

An issue of Dragon magazine had reinforced weapon sheathes. You hit people with the weapon sheathed in it for bludgeoning damage.
Blackstone Hammer, of something along those lines, is a psionic power that changes a weapon's damage type to bludgeoning.
Dragonshard Pommel Stones let you buy weapon abilities once (for +25% cost) and share them between multiple weapons.
There exist a few options for taking a weapon and adding another, smaller weapon onto it.

Some of those are worth looking into, especially the 2nd and 4th points. Do you have any more info?

Lilapop
2020-06-24, 03:29 AM
Barbed chain, from Savage Species: B and S, exotic "medium sized" (same size as a longsword, so it translates to 3.5's "onehanded for medium creatures" and you can PA with it).

I tend to give my knightly characters (both PCs and NPCs) a "pollaxe"... which is simply using the halberd rules, but with a 1d10 hammerhead instead of the tripping capability. Normal halberd rules are a bit too short reached to be a realistic halberd anyway.

Thurbane
2020-06-24, 04:22 AM
Barbed chain, from Savage Species: B and S, exotic "medium sized" (same size as a longsword, so it translates to 3.5's "onehanded for medium creatures" and you can PA with it).

My version of SS has it listed as "bludgeoning and piercing"?

Gavinfoxx
2020-06-24, 04:24 AM
Notbora, from Savage Species, perhaps?

Going by here the all weapons list on realmshelps, it's the only one that lists bludgeoning and slashing.

Looks like what you want doesn't exist!

Thurbane
2020-06-24, 04:44 AM
Notbora, from Savage Species, perhaps?

Going by here the all weapons list on realmshelps, it's the only one that lists bludgeoning and slashing.

Looks like what you want doesn't exist!

Notbora is in the OP.

Yeah, I think then only simple or martial weapon is the executioner's mace: I'll see if I can get it to fly in my game.

Anyone know which issue of Dungeon has the stats?

Lilapop
2020-06-24, 05:09 AM
My version of SS has it listed as "bludgeoning and piercing"?

Woops, my bad. The compilation thingy I'm using incorrectly has it as B and S, and I didn't look closely enough in the book.

Morof Stonehands
2020-06-24, 05:54 AM
Notbora is in the OP.

Yeah, I think then only simple or martial weapon is the executioner's mace: I'll see if I can get it to fly in my game.

Anyone know which issue of Dungeon has the stats?

Dungeon #135, pg. 61 (pg. 48 if you have pdf with no ads scanned!)

Blue Jay
2020-06-24, 07:16 AM

Huh... I thought about suggesting brambles, but I rejected it because I assumed the bludgeoning damage was just supposed to be the weapon's base damage. I think that's still the RAI, but you're right: it does technically give the weapon bludgeoning, doesn't it?

My only other thought was that maybe you could get around the problem with morphing weapons by taking Weapon Specialization (morphing battleaxe) or Weapon Specialization
(rod of lordly might), something like that.

Kaleph
2020-06-24, 07:44 AM
Razored Shield [heavy] (Und): only does slashing damage as far as I can tell?

As far as I understand a razored shield is still a shield, and therefore you may use it as a bludgeoning weapon. I'm AFB right now, but I assume you could modify a shield (bludgeoning) with spikes (piercing) and razors (slashing) and have all three damage types available at any time.

If this is true, then it's already something, but not exactly what you've been asking for. You have two (or maybe three) individual weapons that you have to enchant and use separately.

Vizzerdrix
2020-06-24, 08:03 AM
What about the war spikard, if you can find some slashing bolts? But it would be an exotic weapon. :smallconfused:

The gyrspike from A&EG. Also exotic, and you already have it on your list. :smallsigh:

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-06-24, 08:58 AM
Get proficiency with improvised weapons, use your sword as an improvised bludgeoning weapon.

The Viscount
2020-06-24, 09:15 AM
That is an interesting take. I'm not sure the Unguent shenanigans would fly at my table, but still - very innovative!

Some of those are worth looking into, especially the 2nd and 4th points. Do you have any more info?

Blackstone Hammer is a 6th level power from Complete Psionic. It just says that the weapon in question "deals bludgeoning damage" so I don't think it adds, but replaces.

For the 4th point, Close fighting blades are a weapon modification from races of the wild. You add it on to any one-handed or two-handed weapon, and you can pop out a blade that "functions as a dagger in all respects" as a free action. You take a -2 penalty on attack rolls with it when the hidden blade is extended, and you can't use both ends in the same round. Given that the hidden blade is still attached to your main weapon, you might be able to argue it isn't a light weapon and is still one-handed or two-handed. Kind of annoying, but it does seem pretty close to what you're aiming at.

daremetoidareyo
2020-06-24, 09:30 AM
Spike shooter from a faerun splat?

ShurikVch
2020-06-24, 11:57 AM
Heavy metal gauntlet with heavy metal armor razors?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-06-24, 02:34 PM
Heavy metal gauntlet with heavy metal armor razors?

There we have it. Wear armor that comes with gauntlets and put armor razors from the FR book Underdark on that armor. It's now dealing bludgeoning or slashing damage.

Demon Armor (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor.htm#demonArmor) can be used to make claw attacks (piercing and slashing), or you can use the gauntlets to deal bludgeoning damage.

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-06-24, 02:42 PM
Will untyped damage do?

Because the sand (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?444154-MM3-Sand-Blaster-Exotic-Weapon-Optimization&p=19849608) blaster (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?415149-Sand-Blaster-MM3&p=19259020) from the MMIII is a very unusual weapon that deals AoE ranged damage. Note that a Medium sand blaster (and its ammo) is 1/8 the weight, but it has the same range and still has the same benefits (aside from slightly lower damage). And you don't have to take Exotic Weapon Proficiency for it, since you don't make attack rolls.

Maat Mons
2020-06-24, 04:30 PM
Reinforced Sheathe is from Dragon #324, page 57. It's even less useful than I remembered though. The sheathe has its own set of magical enhancements that overwrite those of the weapon inside it. The only benefit over just using two different weapons seems to be that Weapon Focus and stuff from the sheathed weapon still applies.

Dragonshard Pommel Stones are from The Forge of War, page 121. It should be noted that switching it from one weapon to another takes one minute, so it's not really an in-combat thing.

Other than the one The Viscount mentioned, the only weapons you can add to other weapons are the ones in Complete Scoundrel, and those are all melee weapons added to ranged weapons.

razorback
2020-06-24, 04:52 PM
If your open to spells like Bramble, Earth Hammer from Races of Stone causes a weapon to deal bludgeoning, treated as adamantine for overcoming damage reduction (but any other material, like silver, is ignored for the duration) and increases the damage by one step. Start with Greater Mighty Wallop and tack on Earther Hammer to eventually get Colossal+.

Thurbane
2020-06-24, 05:52 PM
Great suggestions all!

In regards to the razored shield or gauntlet, would I have to enchant the razored part and bludgeoning part separately? Also would feats like Weapon Focus need to be applied separately for each part?

The Viscount
2020-06-24, 06:59 PM
The text is pretty vague on it. I'd say you'd enchant the slashing and bludgeoning part together as one weapon. Same for weapon focus, since it's technically one weapon still.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-06-24, 07:01 PM
Great suggestions all!

In regards to the razored shield or gauntlet, would I have to enchant the razored part and bludgeoning part separately? Also would feats like Weapon Focus need to be applied separately for each part?

Armor razors are a separate weapon, like armor spikes, from a gauntlet.

A razored shield looks pretty much identical to a spiked shield, except that it deals slashing damage instead of piercing damage. It would count as a single item for enchantments, proficiency, and weapon focus. I would think you can not quite cover the whole thing in razors, and have a dull edge to bash with for bludgeoning damage. You can also increase its damage fairly significantly with the Bashing property, and/or Greater Mighty Wallop.

Thurbane
2020-06-24, 07:28 PM
Razored shield or gauntlets are interesting, but I think I'm leaning towards just having a slashing weapon, like a sword or axe of some kind, and using effects like Brambles, Earth Hammer or Blackstone Hammer to change it to bludgeoning damage temporarily as required (although psionics usually aren't in play in our games, so maybe just the spells).