PDA

View Full Version : Gnome from Faerun brought foxes from France

Cozod
2020-06-23, 09:31 PM
I could have sworn I read somewhere that a gnome went to our world and brought back a few animals. Anyone have the link for that source? I think it was one of the developers in a post mentioned it.

Thanks in advance. Tried googling, but no luck. Kept getting real world equivalent posts.

Marcelinari
2020-06-24, 10:24 PM
As dismayed as I am that the Forgotten realms is technically within the same cosmology as the actual factual planet earth, I actually have your link right here. (http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20686&whichpage=1)

Luccan
2020-06-24, 11:09 PM
As dismayed as I am that the Forgotten realms is technically within the same cosmology as the actual factual planet earth, I actually have your link right here. (http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20686&whichpage=1)

Unless I'm mistaken, hin is the Halfling word for Halfling, so I guess it's actually they that are at fault. Greyhawk is also occasionally connected to Earth, I believe. I wonder if it has any similar weird crossover lore.

Cozod
2020-06-25, 01:58 AM
Fantastic! Thank you so much. A 2016 AMA too, more recent than I thought and closer to cannon.

Thanks again!

Eldan
2020-06-25, 02:41 AM
Unless I'm mistaken, hin is the Halfling word for Halfling, so I guess it's actually they that are at fault. Greyhawk is also occasionally connected to Earth, I believe. I wonder if it has any similar weird crossover lore.

I mean, there's the god Zagyg Yrag, god of humour, weird lore and random chance, who used to be a pretty obvious expy for Gygax. More a reference than a crossover, though.

Quertus
2020-06-25, 02:53 PM

How is this concerning, or even surprising? I figure Ed meeting with Elminster is probably a famous trope or something, and numerous modules (and rules) provide passage to Earth. And D&D has *always* been rife with Earth culture, artifacts, etc. - them *not* being connected would seem the strange, dissonance-causing conclusion to draw.

Marcelinari
2020-06-26, 10:02 PM
I’m not concerned or surprised by the Forgotten Realms-Earth connection, I’m dismayed at being reminded that it’s canon, because I don’t like it conceptually. In general, there’s no need to justify things like “renard is the word for fox because a halfling introduced the first foxes to the forgotten realms by importing them from 12th century France”, when you can justify it by saying “this creates narrative resonance with folk tales and myths that we, the players, recognize, allowing us to read deeper meaning into the cultural and mythic stereotypes these people associate with foxes”. Just my take on Ed Greenwood’s framing device.

Nifft
2020-06-26, 10:25 PM
I’m not concerned or surprised by the Forgotten Realms-Earth connection, I’m dismayed at being reminded that it’s canon, because I don’t like it conceptually. In general, there’s no need to justify things like “renard is the word for fox because a halfling introduced the first foxes to the forgotten realms by importing them from 12th century France”, when you can justify it by saying “this creates narrative resonance with folk tales and myths that we, the players, recognize, allowing us to read deeper meaning into the cultural and mythic stereotypes these people associate with foxes”. Just my take on Ed Greenwood’s framing device.

But that's just so lazy, it's like pretending you're speaking Elf instead of inventing a whole Elf language and making your players speak it.

PairO'Dice Lost
2020-06-27, 07:51 PM
Greyhawk is also occasionally connected to Earth, I believe. I wonder if it has any similar weird crossover lore.

As per the Wizards Three column in Dragon Magazine, Elminster regularly met with Mordenkainen and Dalamar on Earth (in Ed Greenwood's study, naturally), so Toril, Oerth, and Krynn are all connected to Earth.

Cazero
2020-06-28, 06:11 AM
But that's just so lazy, it's like pretending you're speaking Elf instead of inventing a whole Elf language and making your players speak it.
Tolkien was a closeted hardcore LARPer, and nobody will ever remember him for it solely because of the prejudices of his time. Sad.