PDA

View Full Version : Part Joke/Part Serious...Abracolypse

Callos_DeTerran
2007-10-28, 01:11 PM
Okay, this is part joke and part serious but I've been wondering about this for a while now and the idea is stuck in my head. (For anyone who's read Nodwick, the idea comes from there)

Alright, a bit of explanation. You have a wand of every damaging or ill-effecting spell (Let's go with core only) and the opposites of a couple of the beneficial ones (Like Cure Moderate Wounds and Neautralize Poison). You've used sovreign glue to stick all of the suckers together then stuck them on another stick so you can hold the mass easier. Next...you altered the command words of all the wands so that they all share the same command word, Abrapocalypse, and for the sake of arguement all of the wands only have a single charge left in them and have the same CL.

A.) Would you as a DM allow an item like this to work? For hilarity or otherwise.

B.)...What exactly WOULD happen if they did activate at once? Remember, this is every harmful or damaging spell out there that could possibly be turned into a wand and the opposites of a couple helpful spells too.

C.) Would you let a creature with SR get by with only a single Spell Resistance check (It IS only one item affecting it) or would the player be making a SR check for each spell that allowed it?

D.) Considering one made such a wand...would it be a minor/major artifact considering what it does?

E.) If you didn't simply want every single spell in those wands to happen, how would you say the wand worked? (A huge explosion or what?)

F.)......What kind of protective wear and distance from the target should they have before saying 'Abrapocalypse'? (I'm thinking goggles at the very least from the bright light...maybe a lead wall or apron.)

Mostly a joke thread, though depending on what happens I may homebrew the WAND OF EVERYTHING!

Douglas
2007-10-28, 01:21 PM
A) Maybe, but I'd add a considerable extra cost for unifying the command words.

B) A very impressive lights show. Fireball, Lightning Bolt, Burning Hands, and Magic Missile, are all visually impressive individually and you're casting all of them at once and that's just the beginning of the list... Hmm, someone should try making this in Neverwinter Nights just to take a video of it going off.

C) Separate SR check (and save if applicable) for each spell

D) No.

E) It would just do each of the individual spell effects all at once.

F) Enough to be out of the largest area of effect of the spells involved.

BTW, as I recall the command word in Nodwick was "Abracapocalypse".

skywalker
2007-10-28, 01:26 PM
Alright, a bit of explanation. You have a wand of every damaging or ill-effecting spell

How ill-effecting? Are we talking ray of enfeeblement, or are you including things like Tasha's Hideous Laughter as well? Because it could get very goofy, very fast.

Cure spells are opposed by inflict spells. Both have a range of touch. Which means this thing would be pretty much a kamikaze type of weapon(assuming you also put in a wand of fireball) or you were a rogue with improved evasion :smallbiggrin:

It would take absolutely FOREVER to figure it all out but as a DM if you wanted to use it I would just want you to have all the stats worked out beforehand(as well as all the dice you had to roll) and then you would just have(or get) to roll those dice. I'd take whatever effect happened in stride, it would probably be pretty funny.

It sounds awesome.

Callos_DeTerran
2007-10-28, 01:30 PM
How ill-effecting? Are we talking ray of enfeeblement, or are you including things like Tasha's Hideous Laughter as well? Because it could get very goofy, very fast.

Including things like Tasha's Hideous Laughter. Like I said...this is partially a joke item and having every ill-effecting/damaging spell going off to have the target survive (Gotta hate that SR) and be laughing in the small crater you made makes me giggle.

Cure spells are opposed by inflict spells. Both have a range of touch. Which means this thing would be pretty much a kamikaze type of weapon(assuming you also put in a wand of fireball) or you were a rogue with improved evasion :smallbiggrin:

...I had forgotten cure's were a range of touch..okay maybe it's a bad idea to put those in there too....unless you have improved evasion. :smalltongue:

It would take absolutely FOREVER to figure it all out but as a DM if you wanted to use it I would just want you to have all the stats worked out beforehand(as well as all the dice you had to roll) and then you would just have(or get) to roll those dice. I'd take whatever effect happened in stride, it would probably be pretty funny.

It sounds awesome.

Hehehe, yes, it probably would be awesome.

Chronos
2007-10-28, 01:34 PM
I wouldn't allow it. Making one like Artax had, which was just as likely to backfire randomly as to function as designed, is fine for laughs, but it sets the precedent that it's possible, leading inevitably to some munchkin figuring out a set of 50 spells which could all be activated at once, safely.

Oh, and there's no such thing as reversible spells any more. Inflict Moderate Wounds, Bestow Curse, etc. are their own spells now, separate from Cure Moderate Wounds, Remove Curse, etc., as of third edition. So just saying "all harmful spells" already covers the bases.

prufock
2007-10-28, 02:04 PM
A.) Would you as a DM allow an item like this to work? For hilarity or otherwise.

A) NO.

Wands use the spell trigger activation method, so casting a spell from a wand is usually a standard action that doesn’t provoke attacks of opportunity. (If the spell being cast, however, has a longer casting time than 1 standard action, it takes that long to cast the spell from a wand.) To activate a wand, a character must hold it in hand (or whatever passes for a hand, for nonhumanoid creatures) and point it in the general direction of the target or area. A wand may be used while grappling or while swallowed whole.

Emphasis mine. Casting a spell from a wand works like a wizard casting a spell, basically. And you must hold the wand in your hand.

Khosan
2007-10-28, 02:26 PM
F.)......What kind of protective wear and distance from the target should they have before saying 'Abrapocalypse'? (I'm thinking goggles at the very least from the bright light...maybe a lead wall or apron.)

Ze goggles! Zey do nossing!