PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Sword and Board lvl 6

Ashera
2020-06-24, 05:13 AM
Hi

We'll be playing a 1- short adventure next week, as our normal GM is on holiday. We'll use point-buy, start in lvl 6 and have 400 gp on top of standard gear. I think I want to be something tanky - with shieldmaster to be able to trip stuff

I was thinking og going variant human paladin5/rogue 1

There's no real reason for paladin, except to help healing. As mentioned, it'll only be used once, but usually these 1-shot adventures have a large amount of encounters, so I think it's a bad idea to build around skills that only works a few times /day

Stats before racials (15/13/13/8/9/14)

Variant human:
Stats before racials (16/13/14/8/9/14)

use lvl 1 feat on shieldmaster, lvl 4 for str+2

take expertise in athletics

this should give me a free shove attach with expertise, and +1d6 on the first attack if I trip my opponent

1: can I do this in smarter way?
2: what fighting style to pick?
3: what oath to pick?

Hytheter
2020-06-24, 05:46 AM
I assume you've cleared it with the GM that you will be allowed to use the shove *before* the attack action? If not you may want to, since stances can differ.

You'll be using a rapier I assume? I'd personally go with duelling fighting-style, though I'd be tempted by protection just for flavour (UA Interception style would work too) and Defense is never bad. Actually, I lied - I'd pick UA Unarmed Style and go fist and board with a side of expertise grappling. :P But I'm guessing that's not your style, especially with Sneak Attack in the mix.

Oath of Glory can get you advantage on Strength Checks, which would make your shoves even less likely to fail, though the bonus action usage does compete with Shield Master's. No other subclass strikes me as being particularly synergistic but any option should suffice.

CheddarChampion
2020-06-24, 09:39 AM
Your build is fine so long as you get to shove before attacking the second time.

I suggest Paladin 6 for Shield Master, Prodigy (expertise in Athletics), and the Aura of Protection. Stats of 16(15+1)/10/14/8/8/16(15+1).

The +3 to all saves is nice and your allies will (or should) thank you. If you go with Oath of the Ancients you'll get restraining strike and a few other ways to shut down enemies with spells/magic (in case they're too big to shove).

Ashera
2020-06-25, 02:42 AM
I assume you've cleared it with the GM that you will be allowed to use the shove *before* the attack action? If not you may want to, since stances can differ.

No, I didn't check before...I just assumed. And when I asked I remembered why one should neevr assume :(
So no easy sneak attack, and then the rogue lvl isn't as fun, so I think I'll just do paladin 6

thanks for helping

Hytheter
2020-06-25, 04:15 AM
No, I didn't check before...I just assumed. And when I asked I remembered why one should neevr assume :(
So no easy sneak attack, and then the rogue lvl isn't as fun, so I think I'll just do paladin 6

thanks for helping

Sorry that your DM isn't fun :(

Keravath
2020-06-25, 07:51 AM
Sorry that your DM isn't fun :(

Wow ... that is quite a stretch based on a DM ruling that is consistent with what is written in the rules. You have no idea how "fun" or not this DM might be. If they want to play the shield master bash bonus action has having to take place after the attack action is taken there is nothing either bad or "not fun" about that decision (the DM might require just one attack to be made or they could require the entire attack action to be taken). It is just how some particular DM runs their table.

( .. and yes, I rule it a similar way (at least one attack taken before the bonus action is available), and none of the folks I play with seem to have an issue with it ... :) ).

From the point of view of DPS optimization, yes taking expertise in athletics on a strength build to maximize the chance of success on the bash followed by all your attacks at advantage against the prone target within 5' (coincidentally also enabling sneak attack) really increases the melee effectiveness but it is ok for some DMs to not like that approach.

P.S. Another optimization option in this case :) .. if you really want it ... start with 16 in str and cha, take PAM for the bonus action attack, dueling fighting style, spear and shield, level 6 paladin for the aura and either bump str or cha or take a different feat (shield master for more bonus action options).

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-06-25, 09:07 PM
Variant human Bard (Lore) 5/ Cleric (Forge) 1, Cha > Str > Con > Wis 13 or 14, use your attack to grapple and then you can bonus action shove them prone. Use Cutting Words to penalize their check if they roll well or if you roll poorly. While grappled their speed is zero and they can't stand up. Just wear the heaviest armor you can afford.

With your hands full you can still use spells that only have verbal components like Dissonant Whispers, Healing Word, Vicious Mockery, Command, etc. Your shield can be a cymbal or gong which can be used as your Bard spellcasting focus, also make it a holy symbol so it can be used as a divine focus, meaning you can use your shield hand to complete somatic components if the spell also has a material component. Bard spells should include Hypnotic Pattern, Suggestion, Heat Metal, Blindness/Deafness, Healing Word, and Dissonant Whispers, plus two more (one 3rd or lower and one 2nd or lower).

Quietus
2020-06-26, 12:06 AM
Can I suggest Ancestral Guardian barbarian 6? Either something that will allow you to get 18 str at level 4, or shield master. If your DM allows regular short rests, Dragonborn with the Dragon Roar feat is amazing. 4 rages per day, so enough for most of your big fights, and during a rage you can A) make someone want to target you specifically while you resist physical damage, and B) as a reaction every turn can prevent 2d6 damage to an ally. That's HUGE, it's better than healing, and will make you an extremely valuable front liner. Run with a defensive build, sword/shield and medium armor, and just make someone's day hell.

Ashera
2020-06-26, 04:28 AM
Can I suggest Ancestral Guardian barbarian 6? Either something that will allow you to get 18 str at level 4, or shield master. If your DM allows regular short rests, Dragonborn with the Dragon Roar feat is amazing. 4 rages per day, so enough for most of your big fights, and during a rage you can A) make someone want to target you specifically while you resist physical damage, and B) as a reaction every turn can prevent 2d6 damage to an ally. That's HUGE, it's better than healing, and will make you an extremely valuable front liner. Run with a defensive build, sword/shield and medium armor, and just make someone's day hell.

I had a look at barbarian, but I'm not sure we get that many short rest. I need something sustainable

Quietus
2020-06-26, 09:05 AM
I had a look at barbarian, but I'm not sure we get that many short rest. I need something sustainable

If you aren't going to get many short rests, then don't do the dragonborn/roar side. 4 rages means even if you have a really long adventuring day of 8 encounters, you can rage in half of them. If there's 8 encounters, some of them will by definition be very easy fights. For race, I'd look at half-orc (Brawny if UA skill feats are allowed, a different half feat if not), mountain dwarf (get 17 str/con to start and raise both to 18 at level 4), or human (Shield Master free feat, Prodigy level 4 feat).

The human is my preferred option, because I like having more buttons to press in combat. Yes you do 1 point less damage, but you'll be rolling +9 athletics for your bonus action shoves, and it gives you something other than "I hit it again" when you're not raging. The bonus proficiencies also broaden your out of combat roles.

ImproperJustice
2020-06-26, 12:24 PM
My favorite Sword and Board Warrior was and still is the humble Eldritch Knight.

Full Plate and Shield, + weapon of choice.

Green Flame Blade and Chilling Touch.

Shield, Abdorb Elements, Protection from Evil to be super Tanky.

Expeditios Retreat for mobility.

If you hit level 7, the class opens up even more.

D.U.P.A.
2020-06-26, 06:50 PM
Why not Battlemaster for extra tripping? ;)

Vogie
2020-06-27, 09:02 PM
Why not Battlemaster for extra tripping? ;)

This is my suggestion - VH Battlemaster with Shield Master and 2 ASIs? You won't have expertise in shoving, but you'll have both Superiorty Dice AND a shield knockback. Even Battlemaster 5/ Rogue 1 could work, for the expertise

Another fun suggestion would be Battlemaster 3 / Swords Bard 3, VH Shield master again. This way you WILL have expertise, an extra pack of maneuvers, and utility stuff. Alas, no Extra attack.

Barbarian 5 / Rogue 1 with Tavern Brawler could work as well. You're fast, have expertise in athletics, can hit your target with your shield (as an improvised weapon), Bonus action Grapple, then shove as your extra attack.

Sorlock Master
2020-06-28, 02:58 AM
Hi

We'll be playing a 1- short adventure next week, as our normal GM is on holiday. We'll use point-buy, start in lvl 6 and have 400 gp on top of standard gear. I think I want to be something tanky - with shieldmaster to be able to trip stuff

I was thinking og going variant human paladin5/rogue 1

There's no real reason for paladin, except to help healing. As mentioned, it'll only be used once, but usually these 1-shot adventures have a large amount of encounters, so I think it's a bad idea to build around skills that only works a few times /day

Stats before racials (15/13/13/8/9/14)

Variant human:
Stats before racials (16/13/14/8/9/14)

use lvl 1 feat on shieldmaster, lvl 4 for str+2

take expertise in athletics

this should give me a free shove attach with expertise, and +1d6 on the first attack if I trip my opponent

1: can I do this in smarter way?
2: what fighting style to pick?
3: what oath to pick?

You could go BM which would allow you to trip and do Pusedo smite with your maneuver dice. It would also net 2 ASI instead of 1. Take Reposte, and Feint maneuvers if you really want the Rouge sneak attack. With dueling fighting style, and high dex. You can get 2d8+1d6+5 damage once per turn.