PDA

View Full Version : Help choosing fire themed cantrips

moonfly7
2020-06-24, 08:49 PM
So for a pyromancer sorcerer I'm creating to replace my recently retired 7th level barbarian, I need help choosing cantrips. My DM is letting me change all spells damage to fire, but I'd prefer to take all normally fire based cantrips.
So far I have:
Control flames
Create bonfire
Firebolt
Prestidigitation
Mending
Those are my 5, but I'd like to try and find a better fit than mending. Prestidigitation too if I could, but it has firey aspects so so far it'll stay.
I don't think there are any fire themed ones left, but if you've got one I missed, or one that's easily flavored that way, I'd love to see it.

rickayelm
2020-06-24, 08:57 PM
Green Flame Blade from SCAG.

moonfly7
2020-06-24, 09:27 PM
Green Flame Blade from SCAG.

Oh yeah. I did see that one, but I did forget about it. My issue is that I'm a squishy sorcerer. I'm not taking a spell that requires me to get up close. My other spells can do both, so I'd like to keep looking if I can.

Greywander
2020-06-24, 10:06 PM
Light or Dancing Lights would probably fit a fire theme better than Mending. That said, Mending isn't bad as a utility cantrip. Outside of the sorcerer list, there's also Produce Flame (druid) and Sacred Flame (cleric). It would probably be a good idea to get at least one non-fire cantrip just in case you encounter something that is immune to fire (e.g. red dragon, all devils). Sacred Flame would be the most thematic, but something like Acid Splash or Shocking Grasp might work. Same for leveled spells, you should have a backup just in case fire doesn't work. You can get CHA-based Sacred Flame by dipping one level into Celestial warlock.

Also, tieflings get some good racial feats for a fire mage, check 'em out. Compare and contrast to Elemental Adept. Maybe take both.

moonfly7
2020-06-25, 08:43 AM
Light or Dancing Lights would probably fit a fire theme better than Mending. That said, Mending isn't bad as a utility cantrip. Outside of the sorcerer list, there's also Produce Flame (druid) and Sacred Flame (cleric). It would probably be a good idea to get at least one non-fire cantrip just in case you encounter something that is immune to fire (e.g. red dragon, all devils). Sacred Flame would be the most thematic, but something like Acid Splash or Shocking Grasp might work. Same for leveled spells, you should have a backup just in case fire doesn't work. You can get CHA-based Sacred Flame by dipping one level into Celestial warlock.

Also, tieflings get some good racial feats for a fire mage, check 'em out. Compare and contrast to Elemental Adept. Maybe take both.

I am a tiefling actually, I have flames of phlegathos and my Pyromancy UA subclass makes elemental adept useless. I'm staying sorcerer, and all my spell are fire based, even ones that normally aren't as my DM was fine with changing damage types sense it really hurts me more than anything in the long run.
Eventually I'll get the ability to ignore fire immunity as my subclass capstone, but since that's not for awhile I'll be at a severe disadvantage. Obviously that's not optimized at all but it's my decision and I'm making it to add flavor and a good bit of fun to my character.
On the cantrip level, perhaps gust? I love the cantrips like mold earth and control flames, and while I can't really flavor mold earth to fit my firey theme, gust could be a burst of hot wind or the like.