PDA

View Full Version : familiar remplacement question and gnome illusionist question

Zhepna
2020-06-24, 10:39 PM
Hi,

1) I use the the UA:Illusionist Variants and it makes me lose my familiar but it give me Chains of Disbelief. I found the following spellcaster variant that replaces familiar :
School Mastery: Illusion adds +10% to make it real and if you are specifilized, add 1 to the DC

I was wondering if it's legal to have to differents things giving something but the drawback is to not have a familiar. Since I already not have my familiar anymore, there's no drawback but I don't know if it work.

2) if it works and I takes both, is it legal to have multiple variants? I already use UA:Illusionist Variants with the Gnome Illusionist Substitution. I don't know if I can also take the School Mastery variant or do I have to take only 1 per character?

3) I use Gnome Illusionist Substitution Levels. At level 1, the abitlity include the following sentence: ''In exchange for this, the gnome illusionist can use their wizard level as their caster level for their racial spell-like abilities.''

I don't understand what it means. Could you please explains it to me please?

Thanks for the information and have a nice day.

Chains of Disbelief (Ex)
Even if a viewer disbelieves an illusion created by an illusionist using this variant and commuincates the details of the illusion to other creatures, those other creatures do not receive the normal +4 bonus of their saving throws to disbelieve the illusion. Furthermore, even when presented with incontrovertible proof that the illusion isn't real, creatures must still succeed on a Will saving throw to see objects or creatures that the illusion obscures, although they get a +10 bonus on the saving throw.

An illusionist using this variant permanently gives up the ability to obtain a familiar.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-06-24, 11:29 PM
1. You can't trade out the same thing twice. It's like going to the item shop and spending 2,000 gp, then trying to walk out with two items which each cost 2,000 gp, as though paying that once gets you both items.

2. You can have multiple variants if your DM allows it, but you can't trade out a class feature you no longer have to gain a variant that costs that class feature.

3. Gnomes (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/races.htm#gnomes) get "Spell-Like Abilities: 1/day—speak with animals (burrowing mammal only, duration 1 minute). A gnome with a Charisma score of at least 10 also has the following spell-like abilities: 1/day—dancing lights, ghost sound, prestidigitation. Caster level 1st; save DC 10 + gnome’s Cha modifier + spell level"
So that replaces the caster level 1st with your Wizard class level. Not much of an improvement, it probably won't even matter, but it's something.