PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Undead slaying via Cure spells

Yogibear41
2020-06-25, 01:54 AM
I know its far from being the most viable option, but if you wanted to make a character who's main sthick was slamming undead with healing spells (cure critical wounds, heal, etc.) what would be some good options for feats/magic items.

Some ideas I have so far:
Augment Healing
Mastery of Day and Night (free maximizes)
Bane Magic: Undead
Gloves of Heartfelt blows (extra fire damage on all touch attacks)

SangoProduction
2020-06-25, 02:07 AM
Sphere's of Power's Life sphere.

Fount of Life talent lets you pool your healing to release it later. This can normally not be accessed for dealing damage, and only for healing.

But you are applying the positive energy (directly to the forehead!) and thus you can unleash 10 - 50 times your caster level in raw, unmitigated holy annihilation in one touch attack. (OK, they get will save for half, but does that *really* matter at this point?)

Quertus
2020-06-25, 10:25 AM
Huh. And here I was, about to suggest something completely crazy.

Try to get your Grapple as high as possible (which includes boosting your size and Strength - but Festering Anger may not work). Then get immunity to most undead attacks by becoming undead. Then get access to "healed by positive energy" somehow. And carry around a Heal trap (by hauling around a gazebo or something). Grapple the undead into the Heal trap, hold them there until dead.

But that seems inefficient next to holding the charge & a Wand of cure light wounds.

darkdragoon
2020-06-25, 10:31 AM
Holy Potency (tactical feat)

Esprit15
2020-06-25, 10:53 AM
Magic of the Land can toss in an extra 2 damage per spell level on there.

Kalkra
2020-06-25, 11:29 AM
I'll mention the Healer class lets you add your CHA modifier to the amount healed.

Helluin
2020-06-25, 11:34 AM
Get Reach Spell?

Also, would you have strong feelings against a level of Bard dip? Healing Hymn can get you an additional level+3 (assuming you max out our perform skill) damage to all the Conjuration (Healing) spell you cast for 5 rounds, as long as you activate it with a standard action. If you have Harmonizing weapon (only +1), that’s 10 round of damage buff on your Mass CLW.

Psyren
2020-06-25, 11:50 AM
I'll mention the Healer class lets you add your CHA modifier to the amount healed.

They also don't provoke for casting (Healing) spells in melee from 7th level onward.

Anthrowhale
2020-06-25, 04:26 PM
Use Surge of Fortune/Sense Weakness for a critical hit to double damage.

Check with your DM if Poison Spell can be used with a Ravage.

Thurbane
2020-06-25, 05:20 PM
Amulet of Retributive Healing (MIC) would let you heal yourself the same time you are damaging the undead.

Gruftzwerg
2020-06-25, 06:50 PM
If you are fine with builds who kick in very late(r lvls), I could recommend a specialized Duskbalde Arcane Channeling (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?528541) build. The build relies on Recaster to get access to a spell from another class (in my chase it was Shivering Touch, but in your chase you could go with Cure Critical Wounds).
You can than do full attacks with your CCW and even use it with Whirlwind. Later the build adds Bloodstorm Blade ontop to do ranged Arcane Channeling with Whirlwind to hit all enemies up to 50ft away.

ATHATH
2020-06-25, 07:32 PM
You might be interested in a 1 level dip into the Nosomatic Chirurgeon prestige class, which gets this ability at first level:

Pestilential Touch (Su): A chirurgeon develops the supernatural ability to channel spell energy into debilitating harm. This ability allows you to spontaneously "lose" a single usage of any spell or spell-like ability to cast any inflict spell of the same spell level or lower. (An inflict spell is any spell with "inflict" in its name, such as inflict light wounds).

Unlike with a normal casting of an inflict spell, the damage dealt by this ability is not negative energy, and so cannot be used to heal undead.
Note that you can use Warlock SLAs as fuel for this (although I think EB'ing would still be a better use of your action, especially since Inflict spells scale HORRIBLY), and Mastery of Day and Night can still be applied to these undead-damaging Inflict spells. Sadly, it can't convert spells or SLAs into Harm (or Heal).

It's not quite damaging undead with CURE spells, but Inflict spells that damage the undead just as well as they do the living might be close enough for your purposes.

Aotrs Commander
2020-06-26, 01:21 PM
Worth checking with your DM on whether Augment Healing's bonus applies when used to cause damage, since it does say "damage healed," and that does not necessarily mean "damage dealt to Undead." It's debatable and I'm not your DM, but it's worth checking with them.

(For the record, my interpretation is that it does not. However, my houserules also very drastically increases the amount of healing/damage cure/inflict does anyway and I have further modified the feat so that it applies to Inflict spell et al as pertaining to healing Undead; but like I say, I'm not your DM.)